• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

mreddie

Marvel printed my daughter's Squirrel Girl halloween costume photo in this week's Squirrel Girl issue letter page! When she gets home from school she's going to flip.

giphy.gif

frye

Posting this from the SW thread.

man and i thought it was kinda cool that marvel was sticking through the whole thing with a single creative team but it turns out this is still the company that ships 3 issues of Uncanny X-Force a month because ???

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Image is my Bernie Sanders equivalent.

I liked this one.....

I think I'd go even further there, honestly -- the list you're referring to is dominated by Marvel and more specifically, by Marvel first issues. Over three quarters of the top 100 is Marvel, and of Marvel's total, nearly half are first issues and nearly half are Star Wars. It's also interesting to look at "Bravest Warriors" #1 and "Orphan Black" #1 in the top five, without a single other issue from either series in Diamond's top 1,000. "We Stand On Guard" #1 may be our highest entry at #124, but all six issues of that miniseries made the chart, and I think that best underscores where we're at right now. If you combine that with our strong performance on the trade paperbacks and graphic novels chart, it becomes even clearer. Image is interested in readers. The practice of releasing new number one after new number one simply is not creating new readers, it's not growing the market, it's admitting that the books in question aren't successful enough to continue without being constantly relaunched, and the long-term result is that it diminishes enthusiasm amongst readers and damages the medium.

Posting this from the SW thread.
I kinda figured Ribiculous wasnt at fault after some interview Brevoort had. He mentioned how Ribic drew SW 9 in the time it took between 8 and 9 to release so that was about 36 pages in a month. In which case, it would be a bit safer to assume it wasnt the creatives's fault for the delays.

Especially given the fact Marvel sat on a script for five weeks before giving it to him. I don't recall any delays for books Ribic has been on. We know Hickman submitted his last script way before the whole thing started and that Ribic had some lead time.

Kind of messed up for Marvel to let creators take heat for delays imo

Also Ribic looks like a Croatian Hickman

Justice League 3001 #8: Somebody really needs to tell Giffen that it's not necessary to recap the past few issues in dialogue in every comic.

Like, now.

But everything else was aight. Art wasn't so hot, but it was passable.

Superman: Lois and Clark #4: I really enjoy this book! It's nice to have a superhero relationship to read that isn't falling apart, a rare thing amongst the titles I buy (read: DC and the Vision).

This particular issue advanced the Intergang plot and had Superman also fighting the creepy guy from the last issue (Blanque). And then there's the alien dude who keeps getting closer.

I'd honestly kinda prefer if they'd just focused in on the Lois/Intergang plot, tbh. Blanque had punching, but the action wasn't that great, and storywise it's a lot less compelling.

Xis

Finished up The Valiant during lunch; liked it quite a bit. Serves as a quick introduction to the Valiant universe. I find myself more and more interested in the Valiant comics; in part because there's few enough books that I can realistically read all of them. Having a small line of books also means there's not a lot of filler.

Edit: Re-reading my post, it is kind of akward to talk about a book that has the same name as the publisher.

Finished up The Valiant during lunch; liked it quite a bit. Serves as a quick introduction to the Valiant universe. I find myself more and more interested in the Valiant comics; in part because there's few enough books that I can realistically read all of them. Having a small line of books also means there's not a lot of filler.

Edit: Re-reading my post, it is kind of akward to talk about a book that has the same name as the publisher.

Don't worry brother, I know exactly what you're talking about. Welcome to the fold.

I would say, if you're getting started, leave the original Bloodshot, the original Eternal Wario minis, and Shadowman for when you're really deep into the universe and you have a curiosity to fulfill. Otherwise, everything is very accessible, including Bloodshot Reborn; you only need to know what happens in The Valiant for that.

My personal favorite stories have been The Valiant, Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Ivar, Timewalker, but most everything has been good to amazing.

Xis

My personal favorite stories have been The Valiant, Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Ivar, Timewalker, but most everything has been good to amazing.

I've read a ton of their stuff already from various bundles. I probably have liked Harbinger and Unity the best of their regular books.

Cyborg was so very, very dull. I regret buying it. It's not actively bad, but it did pretty much knock me out. Definitely not buying the next one.

I've read a ton of their stuff already from various bundles. I probably have liked Harbinger and Unity the best of their regular books.

Ah, ok, then you know what to expect. I get made fun of a lot around here (or used to, at least), but their books are the ones I look forward to the most week after week. It's a great experience reading all the stuff their putting out and seeing how pieces of their universe come together.

shingi70

Banned
That Image quote sounds like Mr.Stephensen sees his brand as the prestige TV of the industry. Marvel, DC and everything else is apparently Netwrok and Cable shows while to him Image is more along the lines of HBO/Netflix/Amazon.

I'd disagree with him though because as much as I like Image they lack alot of variety in the Comedy, Slice of Life, and countless other genres that the big two other publishers have multiple books in.

Ringside is the perfect example, you could have told an interesting Wrestling comic for Comic fans but instead its image crime book #5748.

shingi70

Banned
Cyborg was so very, very dull. I regret buying it. It's not actively bad, but it did pretty much knock me out. Definitely not buying the next one.

What didn't you like about it. I thought it was cool, and maybe it's becuase I'm playing Deus Ex but I do like the whole cybernetic regulation angle.

Sadist

Okay, Old Man Logan has potential. Nice art and the story seems pretty cool.

Liked ANAD Avengers too. I like the new team.

Stray bullets is still the greatest thing from image

I might be able to agree with that if there weren't so many other books from Image that I love. And honestly, Stray Bullets is pretty fucking depressing.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's comics day, isn't it? I should buy some comics or something.

TheFlow

Banned
I might be able to agree with that if there weren't so many other books from Image that I love. And honestly, Stray Bullets is pretty fucking depressing.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's comics day, isn't it? I should buy some comics or something.
I am waiting for other series to finish to rate them but the intial run of stray bullets before the new series is some of the best black and white comic panels you will read.

That Image quote sounds like Mr.Stephensen sees his brand as the prestige TV of the industry. Marvel, DC and everything else is apparently Netwrok and Cable shows while to him Image is more along the lines of HBO/Netflix/Amazon.

I'd disagree with him though because as much as I like Image they lack alot of variety in the Comedy, Slice of Life, and countless other genres that the big two other publishers have multiple books in.

Ringside is the perfect example, you could have told an interesting Wrestling comic for Comic fans but instead its image crime book #5748.
Agree. Also Image doesn't really seek out or develop talent. It's also pretty self congratulatory. Like oh you're doing real well by letting a bunch of very popular writers and artists do what they want. It's not really surprising. Comic book readers basically decided they want to see their favorite writers do creator owned.

Look at their biggest writers and a good bit of the artists that followed them.

KSD
Matt Fraction
Greg Rucka
Ed Brubaker
Rick Remender
BKV
Mark Millar
Jason Aaron
Warren Ellis
Kieron Gillen
Robert Kirkman
Jeff Lemire
Jonathan Hickman

Out of those, they can take credit for taking a chance on Hickman, Gillen and Fraction. Yet none of those guys were big until they had very successful runs in the Big 2.

The only real notable exception is Kirkman whose popular work had nothing to do with the Big 2.

What I'm saying is you don't really get to pat yourself on the back if your main focus is reaping the benefits of Marvel and DCs developed talent.

Messi

What about Joe Keating?

How does I hate fairyland sell? I loved issue 3. I just assume because of Skottie it sells like hotcakes.

What didn't you like about it. I thought it was cool, and maybe it's becuase I'm playing Deus Ex but I do like the whole cybernetic regulation angle.

The writing, mostly. There's no compelling drama, just an interesting premise that ultimately doesn't go much of anywhere. Those sorts of stories have been told in more interesting ways many times over.

Also, funny you should say it like that; there's a humorous lack of expressive punctuation that lead to everyone talking like they're doing a line reading in an especially dull play.

You bought a Cyborg book.

You've effectively asked for that outcome.

Quiet, you.

And Starfire is fun. Nothing to write home about, but wholly enjoyable.

Top Bottom