• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

mreddie

Surprised we haven't gotten any more Rebirth news from DC or in the form of BC leaks.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/27/retailers-complain-about-collapsing-marvel-and-dc-sales/

I wonder if these sales are bad for the big two or just a retailer thing. I've been reading since Flashpoint in 2011 and I only go to comicbook shops on fcbd.

My Marvel readers are complaining about art this isn’t what they expect from a Marvel book. Cartoony art, manga-influenced art, quirky art… the concept of a house style is gone. The books that generate the most interest are books like Doctor Strange, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, and (of course) Star Wars & Darth Vader–books that mix strong stories and great art.

What? People aren't digging the art? What age is this? I thought people like the fun stuff just as much as the dark stuff?

barrin87

Hey all! Been a long while since I've last posted in the comics thread.

I want to try some other DC items but don't know what's good. The only thing I've read from DC is the Wonder Woman arc from Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang which I really liked.

I was thinking about trying the Green Lantern omnibus from Geoff Johns but I'm not sure how it is and if it's a good starting point for the series if I don't know that much about Green Lantern(plus it's not like the price is that cheap so I want to make sure it's good if I gave it a try!). I'm not too into Batman but other recommendations would be appreciated!

I've mostly been reading Image and Vertigo comics lately. I've been reading Fables and Buffy the Vampire Slayer recently and just bought the rest of the books out currently for each so I should be caught up with those in a few weeks. I also finished the first Sandman Omnibus last week which I really loved so I'll be starting the next one probably next week.

jackdoe

I want to try some other DC items but don't know what's good. The only thing I've read from DC is the Wonder Woman arc from Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang which I really liked.

I was thinking about trying the Green Lantern omnibus from Geoff Johns but I'm not sure how it is and if it's a good starting point for the series if I don't know that much about Green Lantern(plus it's not like the price is that cheap so I want to make sure it's good if I gave it a try!). I'm not too into Batman but other recommendations would be appreciated!

I've mostly been reading Image and Vertigo comics lately. I've been reading Fables and Buffy the Vampire Slayer recently and just bought the rest of the books out currently for each so I should be caught up with those in a few weeks. I also finished the first Sandman Omnibus last week which I really loved so I'll be starting the next one probably next week.
If you're interested in DC stuff, you should definitely try The New Frontier. The Absolute Edition is gorgeous and it's one of the best Justice League stories (its main focus is Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern though).

As for Green Lantern, Geoff Johns' run is mostly self contained. Everything you need to know is contained within his run, though it looks like the Secret Origin arc is in the second omnibus. The first omnibus has his best Green Lantern story though, The Sinestro Corps War.

Vyer

Does the omnibus include Secret Origin? I'd start there. From that point, you can probably dig into the omnibus and catch on to everything pretty quickly. It's a very good run, though it kind of burns out by the end of it (which is pretty understandable).

VanWinkle

If you're interested in DC stuff, you should definitely try The New Frontier. The Absolute Edition is gorgeous and it's one of the best Justice League stories (its main focus is Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern though).

As for Green Lantern, Geoff Johns' run is mostly self contained. Everything you need to know is contained within his run, though it looks like the Secret Origin arc is in the second omnibus. The first omnibus has his best Green Lantern story though, The Sinestro Corps War.

Definitely agree with The New Frontier.

barrin87

Forgot to mention that I do already own The New Frontier. I read through it last year and thought it was fantastic.

That's good to know that it's self contained. Those are definitely easier to follow instead of knowing all the history of a character.

Maybe try Solo? It's all collected in one book and it's a bunch of random stories by different creators. I'm not finished with it myself but it's great from what I have read.

One of my favorite DC stories is Power Girl: Power Trip. If you're looking for something more lighthearted and fun I highly recommend it. Also just a single trade so it's not a huge investment or anything.

Since you're already reading some Vertigo, I'd definitely recommend Morrison's Doom Patrol as always. The characters are great and it's just good comics.

Owzers

Johns' Green Lantern was great even with a weak Blackest Night event in the middle, but the middle should have been the end and it just dragged after that with mediocre crossover events. I'd say get the omnibus, enjoy it, buy more of it, and quit after whichever one collects to blackest night.

Also, look into the Black Canary and Zatanna Bloodspell OGN, it's a small buy-in for a great self-contained story with Quinones art and plenty of hijinks.

VanWinkle

OH, get the Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire Deluxe Edition. Just came out pretty recently and it's absolutely beautiful, and completely self-contained.

IMAG0271.jpg
IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg
IMAG0274.jpg

barrin87

Maybe try Solo? It's all collected in one book and it's a bunch of random stories by different creators. I'm not finished with it myself but it's great from what I have read.

One of my favorite DC stories is Power Girl: Power Trip. If you're looking for something more lighthearted and fun I highly recommend it. Also just a single trade so it's not a huge investment or anything.

Since you're already reading some Vertigo, I'd definitely recommend Morrison's Doom Patrol as always. The characters are great and it's just good comics.

Solo definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in so I'll definitely pick that up soon. Not familiar with Power Girl and Doom Patrol but I'll look more into those.

Johns' Green Lantern was great even with a weak Blackest Night event in the middle, but the middle should have been the end and it just dragged after that with mediocre crossover events. I'd say get the omnibus, enjoy it, buy more of it, and quit after whichever one collects to blackest night.

Also, look into the Black Canary and Zatanna Bloodspell OGN, it's a small buy-in for a great self-contained story with Quinones art and plenty of hijinks.

So I'm getting that Green Lantern was a good buy. I'll definitely add it to my next IST order.
OH, get the Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire Deluxe Edition. Just came out pretty recently and it's absolutely beautiful, and completely self-contained.

I have watched the first two seasons of Green Arrow and have liked it so far so I'll look into Black Canary and that Deluxe edition since it definitely looks nice!

Timo

Now Kirby was a house style we could all get behind. Or Neal Adams era DC.

I got all of the Milo Manara erotica collections guys. I read the first one (collects the Click! stories). It wasn't what I was hoping it would be so far. Indian Summer spoiled me.

Now Kirby was a house style we could all get behind. Or Neal Adams era DC.

I got all of the Milo Manara erotica collections guys. I read the first one (collects the Click! stories). It wasn't what I was hoping it would be so far. Indian Summer spoiled me.

Romita Sr house style > Kirby house style imo

You got *all* the erotica collections? I had to scamper to find a reasonably priced vol 1

COMIC GAF! ASSEMBLE!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193529321&posted=1#post193529321

On another note, I'm so excited! Time to start the Yost and Kyle run on X-Force! X-Force is best force.
Read the original '06 series, with Giffen and Rogers. Godlike.
Adding it to my list

Johns' run is really good. Reading it myself. It's a great starting point.

I'd also recommend New 52 Earth 2, because it's an absolutely amazing series, and the JSA omnibus. I just picked up and read the first one myself. Absolutely amazing. The reason I recommend both of these is because they are absolutely amazing stories about superheroes being superheroes, and also superhero legacies (moreso JSA than Earth 2). They aren't dark or gritty. Just superheroes fighting to save the world they live in.
Does the omnibus include Secret Origin? I'd start there. From that point, you can probably dig into the omnibus and catch on to everything pretty quickly. It's a very good run, though it kind of burns out by the end of it (which is pretty understandable).
If I recall correctly, since this is how I read it, the DC official reading order has Secret Origin after Sinestro Corps War, but before the Alpha Lanterns and Rage of the Red Lanterns arcs (which are collected in the Rage of the Red Lanterns trade I read recently).
His New 52 run was great...until Wrath of the First Lantern. Fell apart at the end, but he wrapped up his entire run in a neat way at the same time. But those first two trades of New 52 GL? Where it just focuses on Hal and Sinestro? Fantastic.
I really liked this month's Extraordinary X-Men. Glob is the best X-Man.
Repaired that for you

anaron

yeah but fuck all of those people who want a Marvel house style when the line looks the best it's ever looked

like fuck you for real, I'm pretty sure you're why Greg Land still as a career
seriously, reading that anyone misses that crap creeps me out. house styles, especially DC's, are fucking gross.

Mindwipe

What? People aren't digging the art? What age is this? I thought people like the fun stuff just as much as the dark stuff?

I have to be honest I think that even in the fun books there's a slight over-reliance on cartoonish art with very little in the way of shading in ANAD.

It's personal preference and nothing else. But I just really can't get on with the art style in Squirrel Girl for example (*ducks*).

Hellers

I bought the first issue of Lucifer on Comixology this morning. Started reading it on my lunchbreak.

Damn. This is some fine shit I'm reading.

Also loving Worst X-Man Ever

What Johns did with his Green Lantern run is so extraordinary, you won't want to ready any more comics after it.

Someone please buy my copy of the v1 omnibus...

Owzers

Spurs were angry after being dismantled by golden state, Rockets still haven't got their shit together this season. That was always gonna be a beat down.

Spurs angry after losing to golden state.
Rockets just happy to be there.

DC needs to announce their rebirth thing already so i can get some comic news that doesn't involve scooby doo.

Top Bottom