• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Messi

I must be missing something because I thought Spider-Man Deadpool #1 was terrible. Nothing about it appealed to me aside from the art.

Messi are you reading Insexts? Put down whatever smut your reading cuz this book is sure something.

If Bennet is writing it you can assume I am reading it. Great book.

Messi

Sad that such an amazing book is considered terrible :(

It shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the book. If you enjoyed the issue then I am really happy for you. I like plenty of books that people hate mostly Zenescope stuff but it doesn't affect my enjoyment.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Lazarus: #5-9

Ok things are starting to pick up and it's really starting to grow on me

Lazarus has finally given me someone to care about besides Forever. Casey and her foul mouthed ways have added some levity and Michael some much needed heart. The parents are still a bit of a buzzkill but I guess that is to be expected.

Sister Bernard also seems like she is going to be a very interesting character.

And as La Maquinon said a few pages back Joanna seems like she might actually care a little bit and Malcolm might not be quite the hardass he presents himself as.

10-15 purchased.

If Bennet is writing it you can assume I am reading it. Great book.
It's ok. It feels like a cut above typical smut writing you get online. The body horror stuff isn't as disturbing as Bennett described it. I was expecting some Resident Evil style mutations.

Messi

It's ok. It feels like a cut above typical smut writing you get online. The body horror stuff isn't as disturbing as Bennett described it. I was expecting some Resident Evil style mutations.

To be fair to her, its been two issues. I'm sure we will get more extreme stuff going forward.

marvel-dead-no-more-teaser-167340-5b70a.jpg

There's no way it's
Ben Reilly
is it? I need to contain my hype.

My more realistic guess is
Doc Ock, as the Superior Spider-Man.

Lazarus: #5-9

Ok things are starting to pick up and it's really starting to grow on me

Lazarus has finally given me someone to care about besides Forever. Casey and her foul mouthed ways have added some levity and Michael some much needed heart. The parents are still a bit of a buzzkill but I guess that is to be expected.

Sister Bernard also seems like she is going to be a very interesting character.

And as La Maquinon said a few pages back Joanna seems like she might actually care a little bit and Malcolm might not be quite the hardass he presents himself as.

10-15 purchased.

I read #11 today. I have all the issues but I'm doing one a day to let them sit with me.
I love the Barrets (Casey included/especially). Not sure what I think of Sister Bernard yet, but I enjoy that mystery.

And its interesting with Maclom and Joanna, right? Because it could be that they genuinely care about Eve. There are hints that they do. But we also know that it's their responsibility to maintain a bond with Eve. Doing so could ensure her loyalty to them.. not justto them as a family, perhaps more importantly, her personal loyalty.

They brought Back Uncle Ben, but now he's an Inhuman.

An Inhuman with spider powers.

Btw, mutants should be called Inhumans and Inhumans should be called Mutants (or just call nobody mutants, it's not exactly a punchy name). Inhuman sounds scary as fuck, people are supposed to be scared of mutants because... reasons.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Image saving the week for me.

Aquaman 48
BR Eternal 17
Grayson 16
JLA 7

Chew 54
Saga 33

ANAD Avengers 4
All New Inhumans 3
Carnage 4
Daredevil 3
Extraordinary X-Men 6
Old Man Logan 1

An Inhuman with spider powers.

Btw, mutants should be called Inhumans and Inhumans should be called Mutants (or just call nobody mutants, it's not exactly a punchy name). Inhuman sounds scary as fuck, people are supposed to be scared of mutants because... reasons.

Inhumans used to be secret. Now people are scared of them.

Messi

What's the verdict on ASM so far? I read the first issue which was wacky as hell but I've fallen behind.

Better than post Superior, worse than Superior imo. Its readable. Nothing special. THAT SAID. The most recent issue brought back
Cloak and Dagger
and it was awesome to see.

PsychBat!

Banned
What's the verdict on ASM so far? I read the first issue which was wacky as hell but I've fallen behind.

Fun as hell. I am loving new Peter in this. Camuncoli's art just knocks it out of the park in this book. Shows that Peter is truly better than Ock when he gets his shit together. Is it better than most Spider books out there? Sure. Spider-Gwen is gaining momentum and Silk is lacking due to the art Ford brings when Stacey Lee isn't on and Spider-Woman is boring. 2099 is equally fun so read that.

People are scared of them in the same way that people were scared of Russians during the Cold War, it's not the same.

Inhuman has real negative connotations, IMO.

I would say both can have fairly negative connotations. Inhuman obviously has the tone of "less than human," but "mutant" says "something is wrong with you and it's why you're not normal."

"Inhuman," however, also refers to things like super strength. Superman's strength is "inhuman." Mutant just refers to differences from the norm. They both mean the same thing (as a descriptor), and have equally negative and positive connotations, though they are both ultimately neutral words.

I would say both can have fairly negative connotations. Inhuman obviously has the tone of "less than human," but "mutant" says "something is wrong with you and it's why you're not normal."

"Inhuman," however, also refers to things like super strength. Superman's strength is "inhuman." Mutant just refers to differences from the norm. They both mean the same thing (as a descriptor), and have equally negative and positive connotations, though they are both ultimately neutral words.

You have officially put more work into this than Marvel have in over 50 years.

Better than post Superior, worse than Superior imo. Its readable. Nothing special. THAT SAID. The most recent issue brought back
Cloak and Dagger
and it was awesome to see.

Fun as hell. I am loving new Peter in this. Camuncoli's art just knocks it out of the park in this book. Shows that Peter is truly better than Ock when he gets his shit together. Is it better than most Spider books out there? Sure. Spider-Gwen is gaining momentum and Silk is lacking due to the art Ford brings when Stacey Lee isn't on and Spider-Woman is boring. 2099 is equally fun so read that.

Cool. I think I'll try and catch up. #1 was crazy, I did enjoy it.

Messi

Completely disagree on Spider-Woman. I think it is easily the best out of all of them right now. Followed by Gwen which has been much better since Secret Wars and then Amazing Spider-Man. 2099 is fine, nothing special but its not bad. I don't read Silk.

PsychBat!

Banned
Completely disagree on Spider-Woman. I think it is easily the best out of all of them right now. Followed by Gwen which has been much better since Secret Wars and then Amazing Spider-Man. 2099 is fine, nothing special but its not bad. I don't read Silk.

Gwen's barely getting good. The first couple of issues were on the level of her last couple of issues before Secret Wars. Disagree on Spider-Woman, it's good and fun but it's not great. I'd argue it's just as good as Spider-Man 2099 only because their arcs have not finished. The art is better than 2099, I'll give you that. It's as fun as ASM, as well.

As for Silk, don't read it. She's as evil as Thanos.

Nobody's going to describe Superman's strength as "inhuman." They'd call it "superhuman." Or... any of the other workable adjectives that aren't inhuman. Mutant just feels like a science term these days, more than it might have when the X-Men were first kicking around. Inhuman to me feels like it's not more or less, but explicitly other.

Nobody's going to describe Superman's strength as "inhuman." They'd call it "superhuman." Or... any of the other workable adjectives that aren't inhuman. Mutant just feels like a science term these days, more than it might have when the X-Men were first kicking around. Inhuman to me feels like it's not more or less, but explicitly other.
It's not that people would use that. It's that they can. The point is that they're both equally neutral terms that people can use positively and negatively. Neither one is inherently negative

Top Bottom