• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

yea and I didn't buy it.

Marvel only gets away with it because they know certain people will buy their shit up regardless.

Captain America Steve Rogers is probably one of the few books that could pull of double shipping at 4 dollars. the x-stuff double shipping is some risky shit.

I agree it's a big risk. I don't like double shipping books. They will have to be really good to stay on my pull list, because if I lose interest even a little, the dominoes collapse:
-the book loses priority in my reading list
-issues pile up fast before I can get back to it
-interest drops further and I drop it

This is a constant danger for the three double shipping DC books I am still pulling. It will be a danger for the Marvel books as well. The extra $1 won't weigh heavily in that decision, though. So far virtually the entire industry has looked at DC's new pricing strategy and said, "nope."

It was $2.99 an issue actually. The first issue may have been $3.99 but I don't remember.

Ah my mistake. I looked up a couple of issues to be sure but it seems like that was the first and last issue. Well, I concede the point then.

MANTHNG2017003-covCOL.jpg

Best cover?

Best cover.

Oh shit, Prowler ended quicker than Mosaic.

SW I think will have a relaunch since it's the 40th anniversary.
Nah, they'll just do 100+ variant covers at the start of the arc around the celebration.

Edit: Wait. Did you mean Star Wars or Spider-Woman? I think both were actually created 40 years ago.

Sandfox

I have been saying this for a while, but both Captain America books are clearly trying to complete their stories asap. Thunderbolts and Uncanny Avengers are perfectly aligned in terms of setting things up as well.

She looks underage.

Did you just call Man-Thing a sex offender?

You know what Marvel should really do. Make those double shippers $3 on digital

Get off the mat for fuck's sake

They've got to stop releasing so many shitty books. Jesus. If you take away Avengers and all derivative titles, then you've still got a pretty decent-sized line. Half of Marvel's problem is that their catalog is so fucking bloated.

Vibranium

Banned
I will be amazed if we're talking about an industry that isn't 95% digital for singles with print trades making up the rest in the next five years.

Maybe Marvel can finally offer an option for MU that doesn't have a 6 month delay. But that just makes too much sense, what do I know?

mreddie

They've got to stop releasing so many shitty books. Jesus. If you take away Avengers and all derivative titles, then you've still got a pretty decent-sized line. Half of Marvel's problem is that their catalog is so fucking bloated.

Trim the fat, I think we discussed this a lot of times since ANAD

Yeah that's fair. Only about a third of their catalog is really great comics and a lot of that is fringe characters

Sandfox

Maybe Marvel can finally offer an option for MU that doesn't have a 6 month delay. But that just makes too much sense, what do I know?
That would be a bad business decision.
Did you just call Man-Thing a sex offender?

The problem here is that Marvel would still need to release a somewhat similar number of books a month so they would need to find another way to fill those spaces.

TheFlow

Banned
I agree it's a big risk. I don't like double shipping books. They will have to be really good to stay on my pull list, because if I lose interest even a little, the dominoes collapse:
-the book loses priority in my reading list
-issues pile up fast before I can get back to it
-interest drops further and I drop it

This is a constant danger for the three double shipping DC books I am still pulling. It will be a danger for the Marvel books as well. The extra $1 won't weigh heavily in that decision, though. So far virtually the entire industry has looked at DC's new pricing strategy and said, "nope."

Ah my mistake. I looked up a couple of issues to be sure but it seems like that was the first and last issue. Well, I concede the point then.
As they should because what works for DC won't work for everyone. Marvel shouls maybe pull a DC because they lacking.

an extra dollar may not seem like much but once it piles up and you fall behind you looking a 8 dollars of issues that is competing against new stuff that month

The problem here is that Marvel would still need to release a somewhat similar number of books a month so they would need to find another way to fill those spaces.

They need a smaller output. The truly creative and interesting books are being suffocated under a mountain of Avengers and event books.

Sandfox

They need a smaller output. The truly creative and interesting books are being suffocated under a mountain of Avengers and event books.
I would like to see less Avengers titles, but I don't see smaller output happening. DC for example puts out a similar number of books, but use double shipping and 50 imprints to help them out with that issue.

TheFlow

Banned

amen. lost in the sea.

I would like to see less Avengers titles, but I don't see smaller output happening. DC for example puts out a similar number of books, but use double shipping and 50 imprints to help them out with that issue.
then new books will continue to suffer.

TheFlow

Banned
Not really. I would say getting more people excited by the core titles would make people more willing to check out the other stuff.

core titles are suffering too because there are a shit of other books.

edit: marvel solution to low sale is always to relaunch and put out more #1 but that didn't work this time. Now they are giving it another try again this spring.
If Marvel keeps ignoring to promote them instead of the events.
amen.

Sandfox

core titles are suffering too because there are a shit of other books.

edit: marvel solution to low sale is always to relaunch and put out more #1 but that didn't work this time. Now they are giving it another try again this spring.

amen.
The number of books aren't really all that different from how they were in the past so I don't really agree that it's the reason. IMO the problem most people have with the core books is how different they are now and that turns them off on the line in addition to other issues like event fatigue and pricing.

TheFlow

Banned
The number of books aren't really all that different from how they were in the past so I don't really agree that it's the reason. IMO the problem most people have with the core books is how different they are now and that turns them off on the line in addition to other issues like event fatigue and pricing.

number of books didn't matter that much because the marvel fatigue, plus DC being legit great wasn't a factor for marvel back then.

it's 2017. you can't pull the same shit from 2012.

mreddie

number of books didn't matter that much because the marvel fatigue, plus DC being legit great wasn't a factor for marvel back then.

Exactly, DC has gotten the Attitude Era push and Marvel is pulling a WCW.

Sandfox

Either way it's not going to happen because Marvel would be making less money if they cut out a chunk of their line.

Top Bottom