• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Moved my Marvel Now OHCs away from my Kallax onto a longer shelf. I think it looks a lot nicer now without the little breaks between each 12 inches of the Kallax!

8nzt91B.jpg

Still need Thor Goddess of Thunder 1, Ms. Marvel 1, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 1, Hawkeye 3, and Uncanny X-Men 2. After that they're changing the spine design. Actually, Squirrel Girl might already have that new design. Not sure. Anyway, I'll get to those new spine ones eventually.

Those look like dust jackets. Did Marvel stop printing the cover art directly on the hardcover? I loved that.

my comic store is shutting down at the end of the month apparently, so there goes my last incentive to pick up what physical comics i still pick up (which isn't/wasn't many but yeah)

yeah yeah, end of the month is when it goes belly up apparently

Ever bump into Brandon Graham there? According to my sources (his twitter) that's his favorite shop!

What the FUCK! This is my shop! One of my big reasons for buying physical was to support Rx! Oh my god. Total heartbreak. Fuck everything. Other Vancouver shops suck balls. Goddammit!

I spotted Graham there. And I've chatted with him at his friend's signing at a different shop and he drew me a sketch and is awesome but OH FUCK RX.

VanWinkle

I notice that you still own a copy of Battle of the Atom. It's okay. I own a physical copy of Ultimatum.

Best crossover event of 2016

Like I've told you before, it was $5. I couldn't have NOT bought it!

Those look like dust jackets. Did Marvel stop printing the cover art directly on the hardcover? I loved that.

They print art on the cover boards, but the text and unified design are presented through the dust jacket rather than the boards themselves.

kmfdmpig

What the FUCK! This is my shop! One of my big reasons for buying physical was to support Rx! Oh my god. Total heartbreak. Fuck everything. Other Vancouver shops suck balls. Goddammit!

I spotted Graham there. And I've chatted with him at his friend's signing at a different shop and he drew me a sketch and is awesome but OH FUCK RX.

Sorry to hear that your shop is closing. If it really does and the others that remain are not that great it is a good reason to go fully digital. It sounds like a lot of stores will be closing in the near future, so I wonder what the print/digital split will be in another year or two.

They print art on the cover boards, but the text and unified design are presented through the dust jacket rather than the boards themselves.

Nah, the original Marvel Now graphic novel print run didn't have dust jackets at all. Everything was printed directly on the cover boards. Loved it, because I hate dust jackets. I was hoping they stuck with it.

VanWinkle

Nah, the original Marvel Now graphic novel print run didn't have dust jackets at all. Everything was printed directly on the cover boards. Loved it, because I hate dust jackets. I was hoping they stuck with it.

Ooh, yeah, these are oversized hardcovers (bigger page size), while those are standard-size hardcovers. I'm not sure if they still do it like that on those or not, or even if they're putting any of those out lately.

Same. It was such a nice clean-looking format. At least we still have Image Deluxe Hardcovers.

Sorry to hear that your shop is closing. If it really does and the others that remain are not that great it is a good reason to go fully digital.

Don't wanna! Not full digital. I have runs I've started on floppy. Mixing medium on a run is not my favorite. Lazarus. Paper Girls. Island. Moon Girl. I want to complete these and other favorite runs I've been collecting floppy..

Ooh, yeah, these are oversized hardcovers (bigger page size), while those are standard-size hardcovers. I'm not sure if they still do it like that on those or not, or even if they're putting any of those out lately.

Hurm. I have to buy the past two years worth of GNs now. Might as well look back and start making my list.

They still do these for regular hardcovers.

Niiiiiiiiice.

Messi

VanWinkle

I just can't do those regular hardcovers man. That smaller page size, that thin paper (even thin by Marvel standards). I hate that there are some good runs I miss out on by buying almost exclusively OHC, but I just love how they look and I love reading them in that format. I'm SOOO happy DC is going to start doing this.

Don't wanna! Not full digital. I have runs I've started on floppy. Mixing medium on a run is not my favorite. Lazarus. Paper Girls. Island. Moon Girl. I want to complete these and other favorite runs I've been collecting floppy..

You can't stave off the digital future forever.

Sandfox

You could always buy them online and have them shipped to you.

MartyStu

My secret wish:

A resurrected Wolverine, Cyke, and Jean X-Book.

I do not know why, but I want this to happen really badly.

Dalek

I just got caught up on the Victim Syndicate story in Detective Comics. This is the best book DC is making right now. So great. That Tim cliffhanger is cruel but I'm glad they're not just leaving that plot line in the cold and keep reminding us he's still out there.

They Gave Hulk #1 a 6.5, Civil War #8 a 4, and Spider-Man #11 an 8.5.

yea this site is actually pretty good. will bookmark them. They gave Cap: Steve Rogers #8 an 6.5 which is actually quite fair. The writing is good but the book is starting to drag more than a Bendis joint.

Edit: scrolling through their reviews of the past couple of months and damn do they nail the ratings 4/5 times.
Adventures in poor taste is that site that features great critics like that one dude who reviewed supergirl and said it failed to make him want to fuck supergirl

Messi

I just can't do those regular hardcovers man. That smaller page size, that thin paper (even thin by Marvel standards). I hate that there are some good runs I miss out on by buying almost exclusively OHC, but I just love how they look and I love reading them in that format. I'm SOOO happy DC is going to start doing this.

DC's books not coming out until August and September of this year kills it for me. Batman is Vol 1 and 2. By that time there will be another what..15-16 issues out. Too far behind for me.

Also that far away I'd like the selection time be better. The choices for OHCs is suspect at best. The only one from the list I'd consider as must read or OHC worthy is Superman.

Then again if you haven't read any and you are OHC only I can see the benefits.

What would happen to ComicsGAF if Unstoppable Wasp sucks

Then it will be a beautiful book that sucks. But it won't because Whitley rocks.

From Marvel this week I am most excited for the debut of USAvengers as well as the beginning of the next Moon Knight arc. But I'm more excited for the conclusion to Whisperer War, Shade, and of course Flintstones

DC certainly found their way into my heart in 2016, they just went about it in a pretty weird way

Do we know for a fact that DC's are going to be oversized? Haven't seen that confirmed anywhere...

frye

Lucky's is great and Golden Age ain't bad but yeah it's a real bummer

My secret wish:

A resurrected Wolverine, Cyke, and Jean X-Book.

I do not know why, but I want this to happen really badly.

I wouldn't because it's that exact dynamic that I am absolutely sick of. It would be retreading decade old ground and I have no urge to read that. Hell they couldn't do a solo Jean book without completely retreading old ground. IT'S JUST A CRATER NOW. THAT'S HOW MUCH TREADING HAS HAPPENED THERE.

Sandfox

I really like Wasp as an all-age book, but I think a certain part of the comic community is going to hate it because it has a big pro-female/feminism focus. That's what one should expect from Whitley though. The art is really good and Nadia is a fun character. One thing that's going to be interesting about this book is
the focus on the female geniuses of the Marvel Universe.

Nova is still really good and I couldn't stop smiling as I read it. They even made a joke about
how crazy Rich's fans are online.
I really like having Sam and Rich together.

I really like Wasp as an all-age book, but I think a certain part of the comic community is going to hate it because it has a big pro-female/feminism focus. That's what one should expect from Whitley though. The art is really good and Nadia is a fun character. One thing that's going to be interesting about this book is
the focus on the female geniuses of the Marvel Universe.

Nova is still really good and I couldn't stop smiling as I read it. They even made a joke about
how crazy Rich's fans are online.
I really like having Sam and Rich together.
I don't think you need to spoiler it. Every single interview I've seen has mentioned they want to replace the now dead/in a coma Science Bros of Now! with the Science Sisters of Now! 2.0.

What time does Image usually go up?

In other words, how much longer do I have to worry about the internet finding a way to ruin the end of Whisperer War?

hahah dude. Just woke up and read that thread. Posted a helpful reply of course.

I really loved the look of these HCs, had quite a few in the first two years of Now, mostly Hickman Avengers and Aaron Thor BUT they all had really thin pages, and all waved very soon after purchase :( put me off marvel trades for awhile. Shame too, because they actually look really nice.

tim1138

So I was looking online and I couldn't find any fourth world trades. Was it only collected in Omnibus form?

Yep and those are out of print.

CMX has the New Gods and Forever People books but is missing Mr Miracle and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen.

Week old Marvel impressions:

Doctor Strange

This issue was amazing. The Orb was absolutely hilarious but it did bring up a lot of confusion I still have with what all went down with The Watcher dying. Old Fury is the new Watcher, Winter Solder was the man on the wall and Orb just stole one of his eyes?

I almost wanted to read this issue a second time immediately because I found it so fun and hilarious.

Invincible Iron Man

I really liked the stuff between her and AI Stark, but still wasn't all with the flash backs.

Star Lord

I was pretty excited for this with how much I liked Zdarsky's Howard run, but I ended up thinking this was pretty boring. Quil just mopes around until he gets in a bar fight with Logan. I liked the Howard cameo at least.

Finally caught up on Black Panther and Black Widow.

Panther is just stellar. Up there with Vision. Art is gorgeous too. Sympathetic but also messed up villains. T'Challa rules. Shuri rules even more.

Widow feels kinda one note. I just wish writers could come up with one good plot arc for her not about the damn Red Room. Feels worn beyond thin. Its not as bad as Scarlet Witch but it is a lot worse than the best serious books.

Plus I will always hate Bucky so.

Kite-man is funny, but come-on King, it doesn't need to be in every issue where random villains make an appearance. This feels like his 4th or 5th appearance counting the annual or Christmas special, forget which that story was in.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jason Latour says the book he's writing with Ivan Brandon, Black Cloud, is starting in April.

What's BLACK CLOUD? Well... Zelda's from a place where the strongest imagination rules. After a failed revolution she ends up busted & broke in NYC-

So what's a homeless exiled revolutionary with keys to a magical realm to do? Why sneak rich kids back to her homeland for cash of course... But it's not long before the biggest pay day Zelda will ever see goes sideways-- and both her home and ours are out to get her.

Top Bottom