• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

dude his batman run sadly kind of sucks. big disappointment since it's Tom King taking on the batgod. it's boring, dialogue is corny as hell more often than not too. there have been like 1 or 2 really good issues but that's about it.

but yeah his other work is la flame.

100% agree.

I just dropped Detective as well and I'm close to dropping All-Star. I really don't like what DC is doing with Batman right now.

TheFlow

Banned
100% agree.

I just dropped Detective as well and I'm close to dropping All-Star. I really don't like what DC is doing with Batman right now.

you dropped detective over all-star.

shame.gif

rac

Banned
100% agree.

Kind of curious what they're doing with batman right now.

still bummed i didn't buy any of the batman comixology stuff

edit: maybe i'll bite the bullet and just buy detective for right now

I'm still really enjoying Detective(other than the Monster Men cross-over event), but I've read up to #10 of Batman and now it's been dropped. I hung on hoping it would get better... but it didn't.

Kind of curious what they're doing with batman right now.

still bummed i didn't buy any of the batman comixology stuff

edit: maybe i'll bite the bullet and just buy detective for right now

Detective is the better of the two. I just hate the way the characters are being written right now. But the premise was strong and the first arc is legit good.

I should note I'm in the minority on Tec. Most are still enjoying it a lot.

TheFlow

Banned
Detective is the better of the two. I just hate the way the characters are being written right now. But the premise was strong and the first arc is legit good.

you damn straight you are.

I imagine Captain America #16 was fucking cathartic for Nick Spencer to write. Decent issue. With another side character story coming next issue, if the cover is anything to go by, the book appears to be in a holding pattern at the moment, like we're waiting for something to happen elsewhere. Hmmm I wonder what it could be...

I read both of the IvX tie-ins last week. The UXM issue was pretty cool even if it didn't actually have anything to do with the UXM. I love the matchup of
Karnak and Jean
. Great stuff happening there.

I liked the ExXM issue a lot less. It was pretty poorly written and doesn't seem to quite fit in the timeline established in IvX #1. In that issue,
Storm is totally on board with the plan and ready to rock. Jean is quickly sent to deal with Karnak. Yet this issue of ExXM finds a troubled Storm and Jean at X-Haven, even though both issues end at exactly the same place
. So when does this happen, exactly? It reads like an alternate take. Like Lemire didn't get his own memo on how this plays out. Maybe I'm missing something.

TheFlow

Banned
I'd love to debate the merits of the last issue if you're up for it. I've been feeling like I kinda missed my shot due to the holiday, but it's really festering.

haven't read it. all my focus is on what I bought during the CMX sale so I can finish my best of write up.

if you guys are interested i'll write up all the stuff i picked up based on the 2016 lists/recommendations i saw
that is what I am hoping happens. people buy stuff from the sale and come here to discuss it.

Sandfox

I've seen other people with the same complaint.

TheFlow

Banned
Flintstones #2-6

what makes this book so good is that it is not afraid to be serious when it needs to but still provide fun and humor for everyone.

Flintstones #2-6

what makes this book so good is that it is not afraid to be serious when it needs to but still provide fun and humor for everyone.

It's such a well balanced book and that is so fucking hard to do. A satire in which I am genuinely attached to the characters. It's a work of genius tbh

rac

Banned
o shit that would be helpful

in no particular order

the vision vol. 1 and 2
wonder woman earth one vol one
black panther
the omega men
mighty morphin power rangers
the sheriff of babylon
doctor strange way of the weird
don't remember really seeing much about this but i like strange
black widow shields most wanted
monstress
flinstones
future quest

and a few months ago when humble bundle did the transformers bundle i picked up that based on the gaf thread, which is probably one of the reasons i got back into/ wanted to read comics again

TheFlow

Banned
Flow's Best of 2016 list:
There have been a lot of great books this year both new and continuing. Don't take it personal if your favorite is not on my list go make your own :p. Now here are some of favs from the hundreds of issues I read literally.

R.I.P
Steve Dillon and Darwyn Cooke

Highlights:

DC Rebirth, Young animal, and the Hannah Barbara line. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers being good. Hydra Cap

Best Writer:

Tom King

Best Colorist:
Stephen DeStefano aka CAGE

Best Penciler
Sana Takeda

Best continuing series
518l0pxe-GL.jpg

Best cover

Best Single Issue
the best issue of Deadly class is also my favorite of the year. chapter gave me everything I wanted.

Best Arc
Deadly Class: Die for me.

it is basically Battle Royal.

Best New character
Snottie

Best Marvel Book
51vC2tn4VdL.jpg

Best DC Rebirth Book

Best New series

Best surprise

Young animal

Best mini series
WEAVERS
Slightly beating out Cage
MAR161176.jpg

Best event
Avengers Stand off
Standoff_Assault_on_Pleasant_Hill_Alpha_Jesus_Saiz_Cover.jpg

Best HC release
tumblr_oasqsntpdJ1rcz4rao1_500.jpg

Hidden Gem

Slam

TheFlow

Banned
I always knew about Slam. Then again I look at all the releases every week.
Definition
Hidden gems is an idiom which means something which is extremely outstanding and not many people may know about; for example, Blame It on Rio by Stanley Donen is a good movie, but relatively unknown by the mainstream world, hence a hidden gem.

had to post that to avoid everyone on comicgaf telling me they knew about a book. pat yourself on the back.

Top Bottom