• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Roman

What was the dialogue .

That's it, G-L. Your ring's kicking quantum ass!

The rest of the issue takes itself very seriously and the comment is during a non-comedic, dangerous moment so it felt jarring to me. I don't understand why this character is on this team. I mean I understand why but I don't agree with it, especially if this is the voice they give them.

Unai

The Walking Dead Whisperer War CONCLUSION :O

...it's fucking nothing

There might be a few but I doubt there is much of significance that could be called a comic. Superman ushered in the Golden Age; it wasn't until after that the genre comics really started to flourish. "Platinum Age" comics predate Supes, but I don't think there were a lot of stories like that at the time, not in comics anyway. There was plenty of illustrated pulp fiction but those weren't really comics.

I see. Thanks!

Hagi

That's it, G-L. Your ring's kicking quantum ass!

The rest of the issue takes itself very seriously and the comment is during a non-comedic, dangerous moment so it felt jarring to me. I don't understand why this character is on this team. I mean I understand why but I don't agree with it, especially if this is the voice they give them.

Most people feel that way about the character you are talking about in general, seems to be the norm.

I'd agree except Valeria. Like, if we were doing a younger group: Nadia, Valeria, and Moon Girl would be on there.

Valeria has a certain moral flexibility the others lack that would make her an Illuminati MVP. It isn't just about smarts. The members of the Illuminati met at a junction of power, intelligence, influence, and history that is quite rare. And a willingness to break sacred rules like Don't Blow Up Inhabited Planets

I honestly had a hard time coming up with six good fits without using more than one mutant or digging into villains

ElNarez

Banned
Hack is cute and inoffensive though? (unless something took place in today's JLvsSS, I did not get the comics because I fell asleep trying to watch Wrestle Kingdom XI live after not having slept for a good-ass while, it was a Bad Idea)

Fury451

Banned
Wow, at the reactions on twitter to the new Sam!Cap issue.

Example.

Context is important here, but it also goes too far into that place where you can read it with a lot of unfortunate implications.

Hating all comics because of a few panels that don't land as intended is a weird mentality and I can't tell if some of those comments are ironic, sarcastic, or serious. There's far worse things out there that would cause one to hate comics, and far more fantastic and progressive things to love about comics.

Weiss

Banned
On one hand I'm okay with making fun of SJW-culture, because sometimes it can get excessive.

On the other hand, I also have a deep visceral reaction to it, because I feel like we can't poke fun at it without some asshole deciding that it means the entire concept is inherently worthy of mockery.

Spencer feels like he's aiming for the latter in this case.

Ross61

If you're reading JLvsSS I'd suggest picking up this week's Justice League for a more in depth view of Maxwell Lord. Its a tie-in plus it written by Tim Seeley and drawn by Christian Duce :)

Neoxon

I love how confused Richard Rider was with all of the name changes that happened while he was gone.
That plus
the joke Ms. Marvel made about Richard's fans being crazy online.
And I won't lie,
the bar scene where everyone honored Richard for the good he's done kinda got to me.
In short, read the new Nova series. It's amazing.

Fury451

Banned
On one hand I'm okay with making fun of SJW-culture, because sometimes it can get excessive.

On the other hand, I also have a deep visceral reaction to it, because I feel like we can't poke fun at it without some asshole deciding that it means the entire concept is inherently worthy of mockery.

Spencer feels like he's aiming for the latter in this case.

I'm undecided if he is mocking the concept; it reads to me personally more like he is mocking misguided people that rally behind a cause they don't fully appreciate or understand, for reasons they don't fully understand, using methods that are another form of extremism. It's a very specific focus, but I don't think it comes across that way from the outside view, and I can understand why because it's pretty clumsy if that was the case. Unfortunately it's going to be dismissed without even being read, as is how it generally works these days.

I also admit I could be entirely oblivious to intended subtext.

I'm undecided if he is mocking the concept; it reads to me personally more like he is mocking misguided people that rally behind a cause they don't fully appreciate or understand, for reasons they don't fully understand, using methods that are another form of extremism. It's a very specific focus, but I don't think it comes across that way from the outside view, and I can understand why because it's pretty clumsy if that was the case. Unfortunately it's going to be dismissed without even being read, as is how it generally works these days.

I also admit I could be entirely oblivious to intended subtext.

Yeah I actually admire him for trying to say something in a medium whose main audience is literally allergic to nuance. Bless him for aiming as high as he wants no matter what.

Shade stays the best Young Animal book.

I love Shade, but come on...Doom Patrol 3 was an absolute masterpiece.

Both should just be equally loved, now if only we weren't waiting forever for Doom Patrol 4.

How much mature content is in that book

Very little. There are some allusions to sex and some skinny dipping but over all it's pretty mellow and more weird and psychedelic. I'd say it's the least mature of Young Animal up to this point.

tim1138

How much mature content is in that book

Occasional profanity but that's it. It's not violent and there's no nudity or anything. I don't think there's anything in it that would offend you.

Both should just be equally loved, now if only we weren't waiting forever for Doom Patrol 4.

Very little. There are some allusions to sex and some skinny dipping but over all it's pretty mellow and more weird and psychedelic. I'd say it's the least mature of Young Animal up to this point.

Doom Patrol 3 was great, and I'm sure I said as much in the thread when it came out. But I'm allowed to like Shade more than Doom Patrol, me liking Shade more doesn't mean I hate Doom Patrol or think it's bad by any means.

Spencer's politics confuses the shit out of people more than Hickman's writing.

I had to read it to see what all the fuss was about, and can confirm that once again people are confused by Spencer's politics because they comment on his work without actually reading it

This is a comic that features an undocumented immigrant who is a super hero, mercilessly roasts
Ann Coulter
from cover to cover, ends with
Rage getting knocked out and arrested for fighting crime while black
, its last issue featured a black female super hero taking down internet creeps and literally feeding them their keyboards, the issue before that featured a highly gay-positive story...

But UH OH he made fun of the
overreactive left
for five whole pages, guess Nick Spencer was working for Hydra all along

What a joke

Edit: sounds like Shade is up next

Occasional profanity but that's it. It's not violent and there's no nudity or anything. I don't think there's anything in it that would offend you.

Doom Patrol 3 was great, and I'm sure I said as much in the thread when it came out. But I'm allowed to like Shade more than Doom Patrol, me liking Shade more doesn't mean I hate Doom Patrol or think it's bad by any means.

No! This shit is serious!

I just wanted the chance to sing praise about Doom Patrol 3 again. While also complaining about the wait.

Just glad to hear the quality is keeping up.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah I actually admire him for trying to say something in a medium whose main audience is literally allergic to nuance. Bless him for aiming as high as he wants no matter what.

wait you think Spencer is aiming high? and that it's not petty retaliation against the crowd that saw something fucked up in the implications of turning Steve Rogers into a nazi?

wait you think Spencer is aiming high? and that it's not petty retaliation against the crowd that saw something fucked up in the implications of turning Steve Rogers into a nazi?

Aiming high as in "talking about relevant issues when no one cares".

Whether or not he's good at it is not really my concern.

Messi

There will be two issues of Doom Patrol in quick succession. Two issues in two weeks.

The Captain Marvel joke in Nova I found weird.
During his time he has seen everyone from Monica to Phyla use the name. Think he even met the Skrull in disguise.

TheFlow

Banned
The unstoppable wasp #1

Probably the best part about this issue was the whole backstory, but otherwise this is a drop for me. I was not a fan of the writing.

U.S Avengers #1

Solid start to a team book. everything is on the table. either you are on or you are not.

Dalek

USAvengers was good. Great start to the book and I'm looking forward to this year.
What were those things in Thanos's gauntlets?

Also Avengers 3 was great. I love a good Kang/Time travel story.

TheFlow

Banned
Unworthy Thor #3

and contender for best mini/limited series begins with this book in 2017.

more excited about this book than Mighty atm.

ElNarez

Banned
It's kinda obvious that Mighty is spinning its wheels until Unworthy gets solved. Of course, Mighty spinning its wheels is "Here's some more of Malekith being a bad dude and cackling", which is kinda tiring, because it's pretty much all he's done, even before Secret Wars was a thing.

It's kinda obvious that Mighty is spinning its wheels until Unworthy gets solved. Of course, Mighty spinning its wheels is "Here's some more of Malekith being a bad dude and cackling", which is kinda tiring, because it's pretty much all he's done, even before Secret Wars was a thing.

That's sort of been my feelings for the last few issues. I dipped out for the time being until I hear something is happening. It's only a matter of time before Odinson becomes worthy again and Jane is either cured or dies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So cool

AMShbFd.png

TheFlow

Banned
Hawkeye #2

what an awesome issue. though I am almost positive the bad guy is obviously her friend.

just like with Sam and Steve cap. they are spinning it a little because the events are super close.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these Nova / Champions pages are amazing, im not sure if we can post them here, I saw them on the MvC Infinite thread (not sure what issue they are from)

TheFlow

Banned
Avengers #3

I am reading this because of the art and amazing team potential. I have no interest in a plot about Kang though. we are so close to the end.

tim1138

That's the second or third time that Aquaman omni has been listed on Amazon.

I'll lose my shit if the Planetary team shows up in the Wild Storm. Get Cassaday to draw that issue(s), man, that'd be killer. Of course he'd have to start now so it wouldn't be late...

ElBoxyBrown said:
Squirrel Girl OGN or Batman Vol. 10?

How is this even a question? Squirrel Girl all the way.

Top Bottom