• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Batman

As a standalone issue I kind of like this issue. As an epilogue to what was a pretty anti-climactic ending to a let down of an arc it comes off as annoying. Maybe I'm alone but I don't give a shit about Selina and Bruce's relationship. How did it go convincing Psycho pirate to fix Gotham Girl, how the hell did you manage to convince Waller to answer on all her promises given you are kind of at war with her in JL vs SS? The more things I think about what I'd actually be liking to read about the more annoyed at this issue I get. If it was a stand-alone story at the end of something actually satisfying I'd probably be able to enjoy it a little more, but with what we got I just read it wanting to say "Fuck you" the entire time.

shingi70

Banned
Batman

As a standalone issue I kind of like this issue. As an epilogue to what was a pretty anti-climactic ending to a let down of an arc it comes off as annoying. Maybe I'm alone but I don't give a shit about Selina and Bruce's relationship. How did it go convincing Psycho pirate to fix Gotham Girl, how the hell did you manage to convince Waller to answer on all her promises given you are kind of at war with her in JL vs SS? The more things I think about what I'd actually be liking to read about the more annoyed at this issue I get. If it was a stand-alone story at the end of something actually satisfying I'd probably be able to enjoy it a little more, but with what we got I just read it wanting to say "Fuck you" the entire time.

For what it's worth JL v SS takes place after this arc.

For what it's worth JL v SS takes place after this arc.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. He would let everything resolve and work out before waging war. Guess I was just thrown off by Waller walking into the batcave and that immediately being brought up in JL vs SS.

TheFlow

Banned
Finally caught up on Black Panther and Black Widow.

Panther is just stellar. Up there with Vision. Art is gorgeous too. Sympathetic but also messed up villains. T'Challa rules. Shuri rules even more.

Widow feels kinda one note. I just wish writers could come up with one good plot arc for her not about the damn Red Room. Feels worn beyond thin. Its not as bad as Scarlet Witch but it is a lot worse than the best serious books.

Plus I will always hate Bucky so.

200_s.gif

Roman

Nova is still really good and I couldn't stop smiling as I read it. They even made a joke about
how crazy Rich's fans are online.
I really like having Sam and Rich together.

I've never enjoyed Sam Alexander so I was curious to check this out and...this issue was absolutely amazing!

The humor is tight and on point, not only from Rich but also Sam's friends. Fans who appreciate continuity nods will undoubtedly love this.

El Topo

Wow, at the reactions on twitter to the new Sam!Cap issue.

Example.

I don't really see the issue with the panels to be honest. I've seen young people talk similarly in real life. It's clearly deliberate, not an honest attempt at "kickass humor".

Edit:
Unless the intention of the writers was to ridicule feminism and recent equality movements? Then...maybe?

Hagi

Batman 14

tumblr_nd95n3al8V1tsb6c2o1_400.gif

I actually really liked this issue despite the clunky dialogue. It's weird though how Bendis it was? I don't know but it felt very like something he would write. I ask could we please stop with the Cat and Bat stuff, it's likely the years worth of baggage these characters have but I can't take him not calling her Selina. It's a minor niggle but it's a niggle nonetheless. That said it's the most fun I've had with Kings Batman so far. I bet he's going to love the new Batman Lego minifigures.
I love the recurring Kite Man stuff, top quality.

Unai

I guess there's no place better than this to ask. Is there an alien that precedes Superman in comic books?

Roman

Unstoppable Wasp #1

First I want to mention that I do not like Burnside Batgirl, current Harley or things like Mockingbird at all. But this, this is everything I wanted it to be.

It's beautiful, inspiring without trying too hard, respects continuity to such a high degree that I learned extremely obscure details about a well known character, and it does all that while being fun.

Nadia brings an adventurous, happy go lucky voice to science in comics that I simply have not seen before. I could not be more glad that this exists. At the end of the issue there is even a short interview with real life female scientists and I already can't wait for the next one.

I would give this my highest recommendation.

TheFlow

Banned
Unstoppable Wasp #1

First I want to mention that I do not like Burnside Batgirl, current Harley or things like Mockingbird at all. But this, this is everything I wanted it to be.

It's beautiful, inspiring without trying too hard, respects continuity to such a high degree that I learned extremely obscure details about a well known character, and it does all that while being fun.

Nadia brings an adventurous, happy go lucky voice to science in comics that I simply have not seen before. I could not be more glad that this exists. At the end of the issue there is even a short interview with real life female scientists and I already can't wait for the next one.

image.php

I need a more neutral source

I find Monstress's popularity to be... inexplicable tbh. It seemed *very* average to me.

why was it average to you. and how far did you make it before dropping

Roman

image.php

I need a more neutral source

I became a fan of the character immediately because of this issue, and as I said I really do not at all like directions such as Mockingbird or post-Simone Batgirl.

This book doesn't talk down to the reader, it does not preach its message. It's about science, it's about listening to people and it's about compassion regardless of your upbringing.

I admit if you don't care about Hank Pym or science there might not be much in here for you.

Messi

Unstoppable Wasp #1

Agree.

Now buy Princeless

TheFlow

Banned
I became a fan of the character immediately because of this issue, and as I said I really do not at all like directions such as Mockingbird or post-Simone Batgirl.

This book doesn't talk down to the reader, it does not preach its message. It's about science, it's about listening to people and it's about compassion regardless of your upbringing.

I admit if you don't care about Hank Pym or science there might not be much in here for you.

I just read a review that says it got preachy with the message. think Mr.eddie posted it. I am onto you Roman.

Roman

I just read a review that says it got preachy with the message. think Mr.eddie posted it. I am onto you Roman.

I don't think that scene was out of place in the context of the story. There was one aspect that I did not enjoy at all though and that's
Moon Girl once again mentioned as the smartest person on the planet because she aced some test.

It's your money though so I'm not going to try to browbeat it onto you.

I've also read USAvengers #1 and it was pretty fun.

The Walking Dead Whisperer War CONCLUSION :O

...it's fucking nothing

I guess there's no place better than this to ask. Is there an alien that precedes Superman in comic books?

There might be a few but I doubt there is much of significance that could be called a comic. Superman ushered in the Golden Age; it wasn't until after that the genre comics really started to flourish. "Platinum Age" comics predate Supes, but I don't think there were a lot of stories like that at the time, not in comics anyway. There was plenty of illustrated pulp fiction but those weren't really comics.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think that scene was out of place in the context of the story. There was one aspect that I did not enjoy at all though and that's
Moon Girl once again mentioned as the smartest person on the planet because she aced some test.

It's your money though so I'm not going to try to browbeat it onto you.

I've also read USAvengers #1 and it was pretty fun.

I bought the issue last week. I just need to test people's convictions

Roman

The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom - #1

This was...mildly interesting but a bit unnecessarily wordy and a certain character's (
Cyborg
) dialogue was just embarrassing. However I don't know if that character always speaks like that nowadays.

shingi70

Banned
The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom - #1

This was...mildly interesting but a bit unnecessarily wordy and a certain character's (
Cyborg
) dialogue was just embarrassing. However I don't know if that character always speaks like that nowadays.

What was the dialogue .

Owzers

Digital and trades are reallly affecting the size of my dcbs orders, only 9 floppies with the new month update...this is ridiculous.

Top Bottom