• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

How deep in the 90's are we talking about here?

I was thinking:

UXM/X-Men through X-cutioners song
David's X-Force
Davis' Excalibur
Age of Apocalypse

If I'm interested I might go further into UXM and X-Men. I'm going to avoid X-Force like the plague because Liefeld's art in New Mutants is an abomination (as is obvious). Probably don't need to explain but some of his attempts at displaying action are just lol-worthy.

I was thinking:

David's X-Force
Davis' Excalibur
Age of Apocalypse

If I'm interested I might go further into UXM and X-Men. I'm going to avoid X-Force like the plague because Liefeld's art in New Mutants is an abomination (as is obvious). Probably don't need to explain but some of his attempts at displaying action are just lol-worthy.
That is a lot of things to read. Are you going to read the tie-ins for X-Cutioners Song?

Messi

Wasn't that one of last week's books? Did you just read it now? Messi pls

I have a backlog of 730 active series books. I generally don't keep up on stuff. I try to read the meh books first and keep the good stuff for when I feel good but I never get to them :/. I decided to read some books tonight that I thought would be good. They were good. Hawkeye, Hulk, USAvengers, Gamora.

I have a backlog of 730 active series books. I generally don't keep up on stuff. I try to read the meh books first and keep the good stuff for when I feel good but I never get to them :/. I decided to read some books tonight that I thought would be good. They were good. Hawkeye, Hulk, USAvengers, Gamora.

I think you might be purchasing too many comics. Is there really a reason to keep up with meh comics? It's your money and all, but still.

Messi

I think you might be purchasing too many comics. Is there really a reason to keep up with meh comics? It's your money and all, but still.

It feels like a compulsion at times. Other times great shit comes from it. That's what keeps me buying. Also fear that I'll miss something.

I have a problem :(. I stopped posting lists because I was embarrassed.

mreddie

Nick-Fury-1-cover.jpg

State of your logo, mate.

I was thinking:

David's X-Force
Davis' Excalibur
Age of Apocalypse

You can skip X-Force if you want, I SUPPOSE, but you should stick X-Statix on that list

Hulk was great. Loved it. I feel for Jen too

Vibranium

Banned
State of your logo, mate.

Wrong Nick Fury (Looks at avatar).

Can Marvel at least get Sterenko to write a classic Fury miniseries set in the 60s? Because that would be amazing. Oh well, maybe Robinson will give Junior some personality, because he needs it.

Just got to when Magneto goes bad again. No wonder it happened when the X-characters are ungrateful shits to him. Especially the New Mutants once Claremont left. Fuck them. He clearly should have gotten himself a Rogue waifu earlier.

You can skip X-Force if you want, I SUPPOSE, but you should stick X-Statix on that list

Hulk was great. Loved it. I feel for Jen too

Just referring to the 90s version unless it's worth checking out. I already have the stuff when Milligan takes over in my MU library.

I feel that way about pretty much all 90's art.

I don't mind Lee's. But Liefeld cannot do action. At all. The movement panel-to-panel is so bad, far worse than the art itself.

That is a lot of things to read. Are you going to read the tie-ins for X-Cutioners Song?

Just the main stuff. I don't plan on reading the tie-ins.

TheFlow

Banned
Nova #2

Solid chapter. I see how this issue appealed to a lot of people. It was basically a commentary of the current marvel quo.Think this is the 3rd-4th book within the month or so to do that. I didn't mind the water marks in the last issue because they served their purpose quite well. This issue did feel cleaner. Also I never had a prob with Sam so I am glad he got to shine in this issue. Love how he always calls on Spidey and Ms.Marvel for this type of stuff.

I think Hawkeye is still my favorite marvel book of the week.

edit: forgot Moon Knight came out this week! I gotta tackle that later. too late in the day for heavy reading.

I'm just asking for an ongoing, not for Wally to take over. Barry is boring imo and DC ruined the Flash family.
Barry is boring as fuck. He's up there with Carol Danvers, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Simon Baz, and Cyborg BUT he is the most mainstream Flash and therefore will get a bigger push. Wally isn't getting an ongoing anytime soon. Not as long as there are two Wallys.
The Gambit of batman villains
What does that even mean?
Regarding Action Comics and the duplicate Clark Kent.

why are people thinking it's Superboy Prime?
Because he's a depowered Superman. That's basically it.
Just got to when Magneto goes bad again. No wonder it happened when the X-characters are ungrateful shits to him. Especially the New Mutants once Claremont left. Fuck them. He clearly should have gotten himself a Rogue waifu earlier.

Just referring to the 90s version unless it's worth checking out. I already have the stuff when Milligan takes over in my MU library.

I don't mind Lee's. But Liefeld cannot do action. At all. The movement panel-to-panel is so bad, far worse than the art itself.

Just the main stuff. I don't plan on reading the tie-ins.
Also don't forget to read the Messiah Trilogy: Messiah Complex/Messiah War/Second Coming.

Here's a fun reading order for you whenever ya feel it:

X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 2
X-Men: Second Coming

I'll recommend that shit every time.

arkon

Hooray! All caught up on my physical comics backlog for the first time in like, over a year. Still of course have a massive digital comics backlog. Plus a pretty sizable chunk of manga, which will probably slot into the time that was dedicated to reading comics for a good while. But yeah, that's a happy bit of progress to hit.

BTW: the Usagi Yojimbo issues with the taiko drum from Saga volume 7 was really, really good stuff. Like, it just worked so amazingly well that it's a standout even amongst that consistently fantastic series. Also, the final thing I hit in this reading pile was Dial H, which was really good. Had read like the first arc or so back in the day, but the rest was new to me. I'd say it got just a tad off the rails and didn't hit me quite as hard went it 100% crazy at the very end. But that issue with
Open-Window Man and the graffiti world
was so, so freaking good. Like with that Usagi Yojimbo story mentioned above, it was just one of those comics where you know you're reading something really special when you hit it.

It's a great issue. One of my favourite single issues ever.

Neoxon

So when do you guys think that Champions is gonna update Sam & Young Cyclops' designs to reflect the recent Nova book & X-Men: Blue respectively?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So when do you guys think that Champions is gonna update Sam & Young Cyclops' designs to reflect the recent Nova book & X-Men: Blue respectively?

Nova has a new look?

I just spent my entire day off playing Bloodborne, and then my night playing Demon's Souls. Super tired, but I'm gonna try to read some comics before bed. Pretty sure this has been my favorite day off ever.

Probably after IvX and maybe some other major event.

I never really got over the fact that ultimate nick fury and nick fury jr are pretty much the same guy, they even had jr lose his eye to match up, just seems so lazy, but you know comics gonna comics

Shadows of yarnham was a good boss, you've got to take at least one of those guys out early to stop them ganging up on you, it's weird how between me and other friends who played it I found some boss's they found really easy pretty tough and they've struggled on ones I beat first time

Riddler as a detective was something Dini came up with when he was writing Detective, ironically. Don't remember Morrison using him.

There's a great page from Dini's Detective Comic run where Riddler is stealing other people's deductions from an online detective forum frequented by Batman and Detective Chimp.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I never really got over the fact that ultimate nick fury and nick fury jr are pretty much the same guy, they even had jr lose his eye to match up, just seems so lazy, but you know comics gonna comics

Shadows of yarnham was a good boss, you've got to take at least one of those guys out early to stop them ganging up on you, it's weird how between me and other friends who played it I found some boss's they found really easy pretty tough and they've struggled on ones I beat first time
I had a lot of problems until I powered the Tonsil up and then it was a walk in the park.

Owzers

Amazon doesn't have any Harley holiday statues right now, so no exchange yet. I'm going to read comics this weekend as a form of protest, started Lady Killer vol 1 last night.

Malyse

ty for the rec, romrom <3

i readeded it and now i am full with happies :>

a gorgeous issue, with down to earth but flowing dialog and super likeable characters! cant wait for issue #2!
You should read Princeless.

Everyone who likes Wasp should read Princeless.

Captain Atom

This was overly dense with what felt like needless dialogue and was overall very boring. Best part was the JL showing up and assuming Atom was going insane, but it also felt really dumb and asshole-ish of them at the same time.

Mindwipe

Captain Atom

This was overly dense with what felt like needless dialogue and was overall very boring. Best part was the JL showing up and assuming Atom was going insane, but it also felt really dumb and asshole-ish of them at the same time.

This could be almost every Captain Atom book in the history of the character.

Roman

You should read Princeless.

Everyone who likes Wasp should read Princeless.
For me personally the science aspect, continuity nods and Hank Pym connection were huge factors for why I enjoyed it.

Captain Atom

My impressions were very similar. Shame, because I like the character and would like him to be more prominent in the DCU.

dawgparty

Just started reading Clean Room. What do you guys think of it? I'm pretty interested but I feel like I am more confused than I would like to or maybe should be.

Top Bottom