• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All caught up on batman.

Thought it would read better if I read a few issues in one go, so just read four there- it didn't.

Might drop it tbh, not something I thought I'd ever do with a Batman title.

TheFlow

Banned
All caught up on batman.

Thought it would read better if I read a few issues in one go, so just read four there- it didn't.

Pretty much. I am never in a rush to read it imo.

All caught up on batman.

Haven't seen any discussion of the new issue at all aside from one post by Jack and a comment here or there. That book dominated discussion with every new issue despite hitting twice a month, and now...crickets. Says it all really.

Boogiepop

Hooray! All caught up on my physical comics backlog for the first time in like, over a year. Still of course have a massive digital comics backlog. Plus a pretty sizable chunk of manga, which will probably slot into the time that was dedicated to reading comics for a good while. But yeah, that's a happy bit of progress to hit.

BTW: the Usagi Yojimbo issues with the taiko drum from Saga volume 7 was really, really good stuff. Like, it just worked so amazingly well that it's a standout even amongst that consistently fantastic series. Also, the final thing I hit in this reading pile was Dial H, which was really good. Had read like the first arc or so back in the day, but the rest was new to me. I'd say it got just a tad off the rails and didn't hit me quite as hard went it 100% crazy at the very end. But that issue with
Open-Window Man and the graffiti world
was so, so freaking good. Like with that Usagi Yojimbo story mentioned above, it was just one of those comics where you know you're reading something really special when you hit it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Haven't seen any discussion of the new issue at all aside from one post by Jack and a comment here or there. That book dominated discussion with every new issue despite hitting twice a month, and now...crickets. Says it all really.
Last issue was alright, nothing special. The plot doesn't interest me in any way.

Ross61

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, especially #12 and the last issue. So I can't really relate.

And what can really justify a Wally book right now? With Barry around, what Wally's purpose in ongoing? There's something to justify Cap and Thor, but there is none for a Wally solo.

TheFlow

Banned
huh everyone talks about each issue here. good or bad.

huh everyone talks about each issue here. good or bad.

Not this time though. I just checked in case I missed something...and I did; Hagi posted a review as well (and it was positive). So a couple of reviews but no discussion at all. It's weird. A consequence of the fact that most everyone who didn't like it has dropped out at this point, I guess.

Too bad as I was hoping to see some to get a better sense of what went down, now that I've dropped it, but I'll just read the retcon punch review and be satisfied.

TheFlow

Banned
Not this time though. I just checked in case I missed something...and I did; Hagi posted a review as well (and it was positive). So a couple of reviews but no discussion at all. It's weird. A consequence of the fact that most everyone who didn't like it has dropped out at this point, I guess.

Too bad as I was hoping to see some to get a better sense of what went down, now that I've dropped it, but I'll just read the retcon punch review and be satisfied.
Oh I gotcha. Discussion has died for a lot of books. Only thing people talk about here is marvel #1.

Like deadly class was the best issue last week but nobody mentioned it :/

Sandfox

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, especially #12 and the last issue. So I can't really relate.

And what can really justify a Wally book right now? With Barry around, what Wally's purpose in ongoing? There's something to justify Cap and Thor, but there is none for a Wally solo.
It would be pretty easy to build a story for Wally, especially after Rebirth.

She was aged during the Remender run.

She got artificially aged up due to some comic book fuckery or another in the run before that one. She started out as indeterminately 30-something and ended up 60+.

40-50 or thereabouts. She "died" in Dimension Z and returned in The Tomorrow Soldier having long enough in Zola's dimension for young Nomad to become an adult. 15-20 years? Old enough that she didn't look out of place next to old man Steve Rogers, which I assume was Remender's plan.

Now Steve is young and Sharon is still Sharon.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought maybe the art was just off lol

Messi

Oh I gotcha. Discussion has died for a lot of books. Only thing people talk about here is marvel #1.

Like deadly class was the best issue last week but nobody mentioned it :/

As time passes people take books for granted. It always happens. The complete extent of the saga discussion this week was one message by me saying "Saga tho". We take a book like that being great for granted. Same goes for Deadly Class.

Owzers

As time passes people take books for granted. It always happens. The complete extent of the saga discussion this week was one message by me saying "Saga tho". We take a book like that being great for granted. Same goes for Deadly Class.
Probably a lot of trade readers like myself too.

TheFlow

Banned
True! Though I wish that would change to some outside the big two

I suppose that's true. I try to post a review or impression of about two thirds of what I read.

There are certain books, though, where I don't feel like there is ever much to discuss that wouldn't stray into heavy spoiler territory, and Saga is one of them. Deadly Class is another. Pretty much everybody here knows how they feel about Saga and Deadly Class. They are for recommending to new people who are looking for those sorts of books. Otherwise it's safe to assume they are both humming merrily along.

Messi

Elsa posted your commission on Instagram, Messi. It looks ace.

Every commission I've seen from her is just stunning. I knew it would be worth the wait. Hope to get a Sunstone piece from her at NYCC later this year. We discussed it a bit but she is currently buried in Wasp. But she's game.

USAvengers #1 was everything I wanted and more. I loved New Avengers and this is a perfect sequel and jumping on point. Aikku <3. Squirrel Girls intro was amazing. Hell all the intros were amazing. Ewing writes the kind of thing I want from team books. Just plain fun. Medina and the rest of the art team killed it. The book looks stellar.

Is Zero Year the only good Riddler story?

I can't think of another one.

best one is "King Tut's Tomb", where Batman must team up with supervillian-turned-detective Riddler to help catch a new serial killer who leaves Sphinx riddles at the scene of the crime. Terrific fun, lovely artwork from Jose-Garia Lopez with Kevin Nowlan inks.

9ovywzU.jpg

Malyse

I've read it. It's a lovely book.
BANDETTE IS SYPER CHARMING!!
I really love that book a lot.

---

Dis I mean toon that I want WicDiv 23 as a physical book? Like, that one book I want to actually have cause it's so fresh and different. Also too many damn words for a digital screen.

best one is "King Tut's Tomb", where Batman must team up with supervillian-turned-detective Riddler to help catch a new serial killer who leaves Sphinx riddles at the scene of the crime. Terrific fun, lovely artwork from Jose-Garia Lopez with Kevin Nowlan inks.

Didn't the Riddler actually stopped being a villain for real at some point? Or maybe I'm just remembering things that never happened lol.

VanWinkle

Welp, finished Starman Omnibus Vol. 1. Masterful. Seriously, I loved every single issue in here. Writing, art, plotting, and pacing were just consistently on point. Reading the 10-or-so page long afterword was fascinating, too. It did make me realize I would hate James Robinson from 1994, though. He describes himself as being this horribly pretentious ungrateful guy, demonstrated through several examples, hahaha.

9ovywzU.jpg

That art reminds me a lot of Neal Adams, actually, but with actual clean lines, which made me know it wasn't him, lol.

frye

Didn't the Riddler actually stopped being a villain for real at some point? Or maybe I'm just remembering things that never happened lol.

yeah he was like a private detective or something in I wanna say in the middle of Morrison Batman and Robin era

The Riddler as private detective I thought was a great reinvention by Paul Dini, who has a history of great Bat rogue reinventions. I think Tony Daniel fucked that up.

That art reminds me a lot of Neal Adams, actually, but with actual clean lines, which made me know it wasn't him, lol.

José Luis García-López is from the same school of legendary PC artists of the 70s. He was basically the blueprint/house style for DC for the longest time, its his work on all the lunchboxes and t-shirts for decades.

JLGL06.jpg

jose-luis-garcia-lopez.-dc-comics-style-guide.-batman.-006.jpg

tim1138

The Riddler as private detective I thought was a great reinvention by Paul Dini, who has a history of great Bat rogue reinventions. I think Tony Daniel fucked that up.

José Luis García-López is from the same school of legendary PC artists of the 70s. He was basically the blueprint/house style for DC for the longest time, its his work on all the lunchboxes and t-shirts for decades.

His entire 1982 style guide is on a Facebook fan page - https://m.facebook.com/pg/JoseLuisG...id=207954002578217&ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

VanWinkle

Very interesting! Thank you for that. I knew the name slightly but didn't really know much about him.

Unstoppable Wasp #1

First I want to mention that I do not like Burnside Batgirl, current Harley or things like Mockingbird at all. But this, this is everything I wanted it to be.

It's beautiful, inspiring without trying too hard, respects continuity to such a high degree that I learned extremely obscure details about a well known character, and it does all that while being fun.

Nadia brings an adventurous, happy go lucky voice to science in comics that I simply have not seen before. I could not be more glad that this exists. At the end of the issue there is even a short interview with real life female scientists and I already can't wait for the next one.

I would give this my highest recommendation.

ty for the rec, romrom <3

i readeded it and now i am full with happies :>

a gorgeous issue, with down to earth but flowing dialog and super likeable characters! cant wait for issue #2!

Late but thanks for the X-Men recs. Actually already started Excalibur and wew at Alan Davis' art. I also suppose I'll dive a little deeper into the 90s than originally planned.

Top Bottom