• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Well it had to find a way to bridge the previous New 52 version with a soon "Rebirthed" character, so unless you're interested in that I'd say no.

Yeah, I'm already out.

Just started reading Clean Room. What do you guys think of it? I'm pretty interested but I feel like I am more confused than I would like to or maybe should be.

I really liked the first arc or so but then thought it became a bit of a mess after that. I've heard good things about where it's at currently and thought about catching back up.

The stuff it introduces early on gets some answers but other stuff becomes more confusing so if that's a hold up I would keep that in mind.

VanWinkle

Absolutely hated it and I love Simone
You've read Secret Six, right? I finished the pre-New 52 series a few days ago, and I was so disappointed with how it ended. Felt so abrupt and has no real sense of closure. Did the series get cancelled, or did she just not feel like giving it a proper ending?

To be clear, the last arc had an ending. But it felt more like an story arc ending and not a series ending and it was only over the course of like two pages.

I don't know. I just really like well done series/long run endings, and it disappointed me after such an amazing series.

8bit

Knows the Score
David Aja is drawing Dredd for 2000AD's 40th anniversary next month.

2000ad40-680x888.jpg

via : http://nerdist.com/david-aja-draws-judge-dredd-for-2000-ads-40th-anniversary-exclusive/

El Topo

Just started reading Clean Room. What do you guys think of it? I'm pretty interested but I feel like I am more confused than I would like to or maybe should be.

I thought the first volume was okay. I think I just expected so much more, given the premise.

CAGE! #3
This book is incredibly fun. Like, a lot of fun. I do enjoy Genndy's art so very much. It's very dynamic and expressive, but also super creepy and unnerving which helps because this issue is super brutal.

Only problem, and it's very minor, but when
Soos shows off all the heroes and states they're from different nations, that only rings true for two of them: Brother Voodoo and Black Panther. All the rest of them are from the USA. So either it's foreshadowing that the next round is against other heroes that aren't them, which would help answer Cage's question of where the big hitters are, or it's just a whatever type of thing.
Where are you in Bloodborne now? I killed the Shadow of Yarnaham yesterday... its the best game in years.
I cleared out pretty much every area I could save for the Unseen Village (I need to beat Darkbeast Paarl and some of it can't be accessed until later) and the Forbidden Woods. I opened up the Forbidden Woods shortcut that leads me to the final stretch of the area that's basically shortcut > ton of snakes and loot > Shadows of Yharnam.

So basically where you are.
You've read Secret Six, right? I finished the pre-New 52 series a few days ago, and I was so disappointed with how it ended. Felt so abrupt and has no real sense of closure. Did the series get cancelled, or did she just not feel like giving it a proper ending?

To be clear, the last arc had an ending. But it felt more like an story arc ending and not a series ending and it was only over the course of like two pages.

I don't know. I just really like well done series/long run endings, and it disappointed me after such an amazing series.

I felt the ending was good. Not amazing, but good. It's actually kind of brilliant, but it gives plenty of closure. Having all of them realize that, no matter how hard that they try, they can never be heroes. They'll never be able to rise above and be symbols like heroes do. They're basically just trying to convince themselves otherwise. They all have demons that they've not only embraced, but they basically use it as an excuse for their behavior, internalizing it and giving themselves motivation. They realize that they aren't doing anything for any selfless or morally good i.e. heroic reasons. Just for money and personal satisfaction.

Now, I do have a problem with the final arc, in that it does seem odd that everyone would go, "Bane's right or whatever. Let's go do his thing, I guess." It seemed to be a weird ending for Scandal, in particular, but overall it works. I think it gives plenty of closure at the very least, seeing as how they tie up every running plot thread in the series.

The last issue of Flashpoint and New 52 Justice League #1 were like, two weeks later. They ran out of time.

Squadron Supreme #14

This is a pretty intense issue, where everything basically goes completely nuts and I love it. Seriously, I love it. There's nothing about this issue that I don't like. Like, Nighthawk is somehow the worst person ever and I still like the guy.

Venom #2
This is a weird book, and an uncomfortable book. As villain books tend to be. Granted, the premise is intriguing, but I don't like it. My emotional response to the content of this book is, "No." To the point that I'm not sure if I want to continue. I will, but I don't really want to, and the end of this book is harrowing in the fact that now
Venom has been even more subdued by Lee, having gone kill-happy. I want him to be stopped so bad. Like, Flash to show up and just snatch up, especially considering there's been absolutely no explanation as to how he got away from Flash
. Another question:
why does Mac Gargan have a Glasgow Smile going on? Even creepier.

Gene Yang and the March Trilogy team are voted the 2016 Comics Industry People of the Year

For the sixth year in a row, The Beat is proud to present the Comics Industry Person of the Year, as chosen by voters in our annual creator survey. The moment we began counting votes it was clear there were two candidates: a single creator and a creative team. As we’ve done once before, we’ve opted to name a Person of the Year and a Team of the Year.

And if you’ve been paying attention, you’ve probably already guessed: the Person of the Year is National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature Gene Luen Yang; and the team is the March Book Three National Book Award winners of Rep. John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell. Taken together, the accomplishments of these four creators took the graphic novel and comics medium to unprecedented levels of recognition. 2016 had its low moments, but the deeds of Yang, Lewis, Aydin and Powell were a shining example for us all.
Edit: Messi and Freeza, you might want this.

Unstoppable Wasp #1: My god. I adored this. I haven't enjoyed Nadia under Waid at all so I wasn't expecting much here. Whitley, though, has bottled joy and exuberance and turned them into a character. She is so fun to read, I loved her immediately. Can't wait for the next issue.

You guys had me worried.

Some random.

Yep. And he's awful. Not in a fun way.

Messi

Unstoppable Wasp #1: My god. I adored this. I haven't enjoyed Nadia under Waid at all so I wasn't expecting much here. Whitley, though, has bottled joy and exuberance and turned them into a character. She is so fun to read, I loved her immediately. Can't wait for the next issue.

You guys had me worried.

Yep. And he's awful. Not in a fun way.

I was nothing but positive. Me and some others

I was nothing but positive. Me and some others

I know. But on the whole, reviews have seemed pretty mixed. Everybody seemed to enjoy the art but not everybody was feeling the writing.

Which, now having read it, I don't understand at all.

Edit: that part when
she tells Bobbi she is her idol and Bobbi gets teary. FEELS.
Loved it.

Messi

I know. But on the whole, reviews have seemed pretty mixed. Everybody seemed to enjoy the art but not everybody was feeling the writing.

Which, now having read it, I don't understand at all.

Especially the complaint about the issue towards the end with Mockingbird. I thought that was legitimately touching.

Hulk #1
This book prove's Marvel's solo game is on point. I loved this issue. I love being in Jen's head, I love the art, it wasn't too peppy or jokey, but it wasn't too dark or grim. Like a halfway point between Hawkeye and Jessica Jones. It was lighter than I expected, but certainly has a dark edge that we've seen enough of to know that this book is going to go to some rather uncomfortable places, and I look forward to it. There's definitely an angry tone to the story, but not so much that you feel angry while reading it.

My only problem with this issue is a problem that I'm beginning to have with every book is that it apparently needs a plot. I'm really tired of every book thinking it needs a strong, in-your-face "HERE'S THE PLOT MOTHERFUCKERS!" It bothers me that a book can't drive itself using the character and have a smaller, more focused plot building in the background. I feel like this book's real fight should be Jen and what's in her head, not with some mysterious supervillain threat. It's just frustrating that we live in a world where people need some hard and fast plot to drive things, when the character's own arc is interesting enough. I realize I'm jumping the gun a bit, here, but I stand by my opinion on this.

Meh.
I want Brock back.

Why, when we could have Flash Thompson as Venom: Space Knight?

Hulk #1
This book prove's Marvel's solo game is on point. I loved this issue. I love being in Jen's head, I love the art, it wasn't too peppy or jokey, but it wasn't too dark or grim. Like a halfway point between Hawkeye and Jessica Jones. It was lighter than I expected, but certainly has a dark edge that we've seen enough of to know that this book is going to go to some rather uncomfortable places, and I look forward to it. There's definitely an angry tone to the story, but not so much that you feel angry while reading it.

My only problem with this issue is a problem that I'm beginning to have with every book is that it apparently needs a plot. I'm really tired of every book thinking it needs a strong, in-your-face "HERE'S THE PLOT MOTHERFUCKERS!" It bothers me that a book can't drive itself using the character and have a smaller, more focused plot building in the background. I feel like this book's real fight should be Jen and what's in her head, not with some mysterious supervillain threat. It's just frustrating that we live in a world where people need some hard and fast plot to drive things, when the character's own arc is interesting enough. I realize I'm jumping the gun a bit, here, but I stand by my opinion on this.

I am beyond with you

Roman

I agree in that I found the mystery of the last panel to be the least interesting aspect of the issue.

Meh.
I want Brock back.
I want the Venom from the Neversoft Spider-Man game and I want Spidey to cameo constantly in the book just to get trolled.

Hulk #1

Yep. A problem annoyingly not even limited to superhero comics.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why, when we could have Flash Thompson as Venom: Space Knight?
Because I dont care for Guardian of the Galaxy Venom, and rather want some cool stuff with a Villain with the possibility of Spider-Man showing up.

Does something in the book match with Seperation Anxiety? Because I got that today and wondered why they re-release exactly that book now

I'm really not sure what you mean.

The impressions in this thread were either glowing or apathetic at worst.

And yes I had the same reaction to that scene as you.

Man. You guys.

Some people did not like the book. At least two people insta-dropped. We had one person say every line of dialogue was bad. Even if we describe those reviews as apathetic, well that's "mixed," which is what I said. That's okay.

I was not talking about reviews on other sites. And I'm not disparaging the book. I think it's lovely.

Roman

This has nothing to do with Wasp, but jesus Christ Comicosity gives too many 10/10's.

Maybe a little anecdotal, but I feel like all their reviews are from 9-10 or absolute shit in the 2's. Birdie do you write for them?

For what it's worth they gave Civil War II #8 a 1/10.

Maybe they should adopt a narrower scale.

However browsing some of the other scores they gave USAvengers a 7 and Hulk an 8. Maybe they are learning.

For what it's worth they gave Civil War II #8 a 1/10.

Maybe they should adopt a narrower scale.

However browsing some of the other scores they gave USAvengers a 7 and Hulk an 8. Maybe they are learning.

I've always liked a 5 star system. Shit > bad with merits > average > worth checking out> great

mreddie

Man. You guys.

Some people did not like the book. At least two people insta-dropped. We had one person say every line of dialogue was bad. Even if we describe those reviews as apathetic, well that's "mixed," which is what I said. That's okay.

I was not talking about reviews on other sites. And I'm not disparaging the book. I think it's lovely.

Is the book Mini Echo approved?

Black Panther #9

So
Shuri is birds now?
Huh. That's cool. Anyways, the most dense superhero book I've read in awhile continues on. We get a lot more insight into the rebel leadership, and that they are also fractured, and also a ton of waxing philosophical. I guess I've lost my drive to read this, because I'm losing my desire to really say anything. The entire issue is basically saying "But the morals in war are not the war for morals because morals and war are different from war and morals but not because something something freedom."

I don't know man. Maybe I'm not in the mood, but this issue lost me. I'm not going to drop it, because maybe it's just my mood that I'm not feeling a book that I've enjoyed with every reading thus far.

The Ultimates2 #2

I miss Rocafort's art. I mean, Foreman isn't bad by any means, I just miss Rocafort. In other news, damn is this book building to something big. I don't much to say aside from my speculation that the whole
Cosmic Cube Ghost dude (who looks like a Skrull) is referring to the Beyonders as still being alive.
That's my assumption. I'm also thinking that Starlin's Infinity trilogy (Revelation/Relativity/Finale) is completely irrelevant at this point and by all means non-cannonical.

I kinda like uncanny avengers

I know nobody else is reading it but the civil war tie in is over we can rest easy

And i liked USAvengers

Top Bottom