• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

caliph95

Well it had to find a way to bridge the previous New 52 version with a soon "Rebirthed" character, so unless you're interested in that I'd say no.

Did anyone even read the New 52 comic where they turned him into bargain Manhattan or was he always bargain Manhattan.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Was watching Speechless yesterday, and they go to a flea market sort of thing where there's a guy selling old comics, and one of the boxes had the Valiant logo on it.

Weird that the ABC show wasn't all Marvel stuff, but still, good for Valiant.

Was watching Speechless yesterday, and they go to a flea market sort of thing where there's a guy selling old comics, and one of the boxes had the Valiant logo on it.

Weird that the ABC show wasn't all Marvel stuff, but still, good for Valiant.

I was watching something else that had all Dark Horse stuff in the background. Pretty sure they're licensing deals with the production company.

caliph95

Since both Multiversity and Final Crisis did that with their alternate versions of him, probably.

Dark Horse asks a question:

The original Charlton comics Captain Atom is the character Dr Manhattan was based on. So...

Right forgot about that fact i'm just used to his appearance in Justice league cartoon and movies plus that one wildstorm book that i forget he was the inspiration. Wasn't pre 52 a different character from Manhattan anyway at least modern him.

And more corrections not my day lol. I guess i lost my geek/nerd card

I agree in that I found the mystery of the last panel to be the least interesting aspect of the issue.
Exactly. After we had this emotional sequence and then we get that and I just felt disappointed.
Yep. A problem annoyingly not even limited to superhero comics.
Also the truth. That kind of thinking has damaged some shows as well that I thought were pretty good. Marvel's Jessica Jones, for instance.
Because I dont care for Guardian of the Galaxy Venom, and rather want some cool stuff with a Villain with the possibility of Spider-Man showing up.

Does something in the book match with Seperation Anxiety? Because I got that today and wondered why they re-release exactly that book now
Did you read Space Knight? Because that shit was great.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So the digital code thing is gone? Lol

Good luck getting $3.99 out of me

There is also a negative way to spin that story. Marvel removes free digital copy per issue replaces it with months old event issues.

That's a definite negative trying to be spun as a positive.

I does make me wonder if they actually believe that Civil War II was good.

TheFlow

Banned
Man. You guys.

Some people did not like the book. At least two people insta-dropped. We had one person say every line of dialogue was bad. Even if we describe those reviews as apathetic, well that's "mixed," which is what I said. That's okay.

I was not talking about reviews on other sites. And I'm not disparaging the book. I think it's lovely.
I liked the book just don't care about a hunt for scientist girl or guy

A lot of Marvel #1 are very upfront about what they are. Either you are down or not from the first issue. The dialog was forgive me for I hate this word but "cringeworthy" sorry fam

Owzers

So the digital code thing is gone? Lol

Good luck getting $3.99 out of me

There is also a negative way to spin that story. Marvel removes free digital copy per issue replaces it with months old event issues.
They've finally done it, my main floppy marvel reason is gone, at least MU exists for now when i resub.

I'd threaten to drop more marvel books but I think I'm only buying gwenpool anyways, but this means I won't be adding new ones to my pull unless I'm feeling birdie on a book.

Edit: also black panther, probably not dropping the two, just not adding things.

You notice comic review sites give like everything a fucking 8/10 or higher like 90% of every creative medium is mediocre at best

To be fair, reviewers are asked to spend their own time reviewing something for like $5 max. Why would you spend that time on something you didn't like?

At least that's...how my friend...feels.

anaron

I know. But on the whole, reviews have seemed pretty mixed. Everybody seemed to enjoy the art but not everybody was feeling the writing.

Which, now having read it, I don't understand at all.

Edit: that part when
she tells Bobbi she is her idol and Bobbi gets teary. FEELS.
Loved it.

I loved that Whitley did that with her. Such a great spotlight/moment.

To be fair, reviewers are asked to spend their own time reviewing something for like $5 max. Why would you spend that time on something you didn't like?

At least that's...how my friend...feels.
That's exactly what the Comicvine staff once said when they were asked. If an issue of a certain run is bad they won't continue reviewing it.

changing how they do the digital code basically ruins their one real advantage over competitors.

Yeah you used to be able to subscribe to 12 issues of a run direct through Marvel for $24 and then toss all the ratty things in the trash after you redeem the codes. Now you pay the $4 or screw off.

FAKE EDIT: OMG no more $1 Marvel codes through reddit!!! No no noooooooooo!! How shall I read Amazing Spider-Man now???!!!

REAL EDIT: Hmm, that's probably why they are shutting it down huh?

Messi

I'll just drop to trade and become way more picky with what books I buy because by the time its in trade I will know if that shit is good or not.

GG Marvel

BTW, the official line is exactly what I said. "Stretching your dollar," with 2 or more bonus books.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/5783...roduces-bonus-digital-comics/?linkId=33106355

Some poor PR person must have had to work extra hard to spin this. He/she actually used ALL CAPS AND BOLD to try to move your eyes away from the preceding sentence...

bs71JqV.png

And it's not even an event, just the first comic from upcoming hcs/tpbs. Stuff that should be put up for free on comixology.

not last year anyway. but I was saying more for physical copy buyers. digitally there is no advantage.

Maybe it's just me, but even a digital copy would have been redundant if it's for a book you already read. Marvel is just trying to pretend there's a reason for their pricing other than greed.

I'll just drop to trade and become way more picky with what books I buy because by the time its in trade I will know if that shit is good or not.

GG Marvel

Won't all of your hijinx books get cancelled quicker if you don't buy the singles?

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah you used to be able to subscribe to 12 issues of a run direct through Marvel for $24 and then toss all the ratty things in the trash after you redeem the codes. Now you pay the $4 or screw off.

FAKE EDIT: OMG no more $1 Marvel codes through reddit!!! No no noooooooooo!! How shall I read Amazing Spider-Man now???!!!

REAL EDIT: Hmm, that's probably why they are shutting it down huh?

Kinda why I am worried. I am only pulling so much Marvel thanks to these types of deals otherwise I am going to end up dropping to 10 marvel books per month. and waiting for more CMX sales. because no way am I trying stuff like Bullseye and Kingpin day one without some kind of deal.

Messi

Maybe it's just me, but even a digital copy would have been redundant if it's for a book you already read. Marvel is just trying to pretend there's a reason for their pricing other than greed.

Won't all of your hijinx books get cancelled quicker if you don't buy the singles?

People like having both and the ability to always have your collection on the go. The other side...the side Marvel isn't going to mention but it does want to kill is the people selling codes to fund the rest of their pull list.

That's not on me. Its up to Marvel to make it worth paying for and in its current state I don't believe most of these books are worth 3.99. The digital copy made it worth it to me. I have zero interest in a weeks worth of books being turned into 15 digital codes of Civil War #0

I feel sorry for the smaller and weaker Marvel titles that this move has likely killed. Stuff like Hellcat, Spider-Woman, Silk ect are fucked imo.

Well if you read digitally exclusively like me then it was a way to get them cheaper with discounted print subs.

TheFlow

Banned
People like having both and the ability to always have your collection on the go. The other side...the side Marvel isn't going to mention but it does want to kill is the people selling codes to fund the rest of their pull list.

That's not on me. Its up to Marvel to make it worth paying for and in its current state I don't believe most of these books are worth 3.99. The digital copy made it worth it to me. I have zero interest in a weeks worth of books being turned into 15 digital codes of Civil War #0

I feel sorry for the smaller and weaker Marvel titles that this move has likely killed. Stuff like Hellcat, Spider-Woman, Silk ect are fucked imo.
marvel_brofist.png

Messi

It was always a way of shopping locally but still getting a Comixology copy to read. Framing this like it is helping stores is laughable. Right now stores have ordered books for people who use the codes and support them who likely no longer want those books. But sure, Marvel are helping retail.

Make those books 2.99 and remove the digital code. Sure. But this ...

post-57174-the-wire-this-is-bullshit-gif-ij4x.gif

Top Bottom