• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Which is fucking insane, since you'd think Martin would be able to keep ahead of the TV show at a rate of one season per year. By the time Martin finishes writing this series, no one will care anymore because HBO will have already finished it.

I'm just kidding. No way Martin lives long enough to finish the series at the rate he writes.
That kinda morbid shit always seems weird.

Which is fucking insane, since you'd think Martin would be able to keep ahead of the TV show at a rate of one season per year. By the time Martin finishes writing this series, no one will care anymore because HBO will have already finished it.

I'm just kidding. No way Martin lives long enough to finish the series at the rate he writes.

They'll just get Brandon Sanderson to finish it. I mean, that worked out super well with The Wheel of Time, right, RIGHT?

That kinda morbid shit always seems weird.

I'm just doing the math here. I'm not saying I hope he dies or anything. He's old and overweight. Not a good combination to start with, and then you take into account how long it takes him to write a single GoT book (compounded by the fact that he always tends to get distracted and write other things), it just seems unlikely that he'll be able to finish two more books before his time is up.

There isn't much of a shortage of things being released with his name on the cover, but none of those things seem to be GoT novels.

They'll just get Brandon Sanderson to finish it. I mean, that worked out super well with The Wheel of Time, right, RIGHT?

That was my initial thought too, but I'm pretty sure Martin has said that he didn't want anyone else to write it, as it's his series.

Good news: Ike is gone from Marvel in general
Bad News: Ike is gonna make Don cheap out on everything else.

Isn't Ike a recluse, though? How is he going to pull this off? Is he going to deal with being seen, or is he just going to be a face on a monitor in Legion of Doom HQ?

VanWinkle

Same. I haven't read all those stories, but Origin wasn't great. It had some dope moments, though.

Sinestro Corps War was #1 though, and that's what really matters

I'm surprised Throne of Atlantis wasn't on there

Yeah, Throne of Atlantis was great. Wish it was longer, though. And Sinestro Corps War was indeed in its rightful place.

I've heard some of his later JSA stuff was incredible (like the Kingdom Come stuff) so I'm surprised to not see that stuff on there either.

Sanderson wouldn't write it even if Martin wanted him to. Their styles of fantasy are just too different.

thatsthejoke.jpg

List: Impending Doom Edition

Shipwreck 3

The Deep 1

All-Star Batman 6
Deathstroke 10
New Super-Man 7
Wonder Woman 14

Birthright 21
God Country 1
Moonshine 4
Southern Bastards 16

All-New Wolverine 16
ASM Renew Your Vows 3
Captain Hydra 9
Daredevil 15
Foolkiller 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 16
Inhumans vs X-Men 2
Jessica Jones 4
Mighty Thor 15
Ms. Marvel 14
Power Man and Iron Fist 12
Rocket Raccoon 2
Spider-Man 12
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 16
Uncanny Avengers 19
Uncanny X-Men 17

The Rift 1

I must admit, Wasp #1 was great.

"That woman is a legit mad scientist."
"That's perfect! I am a happy scientist! Who better to fight her?"

I nearly choked.

"Well, if I spend the rest of my life being bitter, then I never really escaped, yes?"

I've been in the philosophical mood a lot lately, and that line hit me so hard. It's so, so true.

Plus, Kamala made a Power Rangers reference, and the art was delightful as well. Comics are alright, sometimes.

Looking forward to Justice League/Power Rangers this week, actually.

Messi

I must admit, Wasp #1 was great.

"That woman is a legit mad scientist."
"That's perfect! I am a happy scientist! Who better to fight her?"

I nearly choked.

"Well, if I spend the rest of my life being bitter, then I never really escaped, yes?"

I've been in the philosophical mood a lot lately, and that line hit me so hard. It's so, so true.

Plus, Kamala made a Power Rangers reference, and the art was delightful as well. Comics are alright, sometimes.

Looking forward to Justice League/Power Rangers this week, actually.

Did you like the page with Nadia and Bobbi in the cafe? I was so happy.

I loved those two lines you posted.

--

I read Joelle Jones issue of Superman American Alien.

olivia-wilde-gif-15.gif

Joelle Jones is incredible.

Applebite

So I usually buy comics like 2 or 3 times a year, usually 4 - 5 volumes at a time. I currently like Descender, Outcast (the two volumes I've read), Saga and Low (not in love with this one but like it enough to continue). Usually I just buy new volumes of things I like and experiment with a few new things on the side, usually just based on random stuff Amazon recommends that I think looks interesting. I thought Sex Criminals was underwhelming and found The Wicked + The Divine to read like bad fanfic, and I wasn't quite sold on East of West after the first volume. Is EoW worth reading? Anything else in that same vague vein of "Interesting Image Comics books"?

Messi

So I usually buy comics like 2 or 3 times a year, usually 4 - 5 volumes at a time. I currently like Descender, Outcast (the two volumes I've read), Saga and Low (not in love with this one but like it enough to continue). Usually I just buy new volumes of things I like and experiment with a few new things on the side, usually just based on random stuff Amazon recommends that I think looks interesting. I thought Sex Criminals was underwhelming and found The Wicked + The Divine to read like bad fanfic, and I wasn't quite sold on East of West after the first volume. Is EoW worth reading? Anything else in that same vague vein of "Interesting Image Comics books"?

East of West is good going forward.

Sunstone, a beautiful lesbian bdsm love and friendship story by Stjepan Sejic.

Death Vigil by Sejic. Great characters and fun story.

Deadly Class by Remender and Craig

Lazarus by Rucka and Lark

Southern Bastards by Aaron and Latour

Wayward by Zub and Cummings

Shutter by Keating and Del Duca

Finished the first All Star Bats arc last night. An up and down five issues honestly, but I felt the ending was phenomenal. But then I read some of the I Am Suicide arc and I'm like shit I think this is better. Good time for Bat books overall.

Sadist

Finally I had some time for comics... last couple of weeks were insane.

The Walking Dead - The Whisperer War #6

Fucking Kirkman.
Old Man Rick knows whats up. I love the parts with Negan, especially the scene where everybody is celebrating the defeat of the Whisperers and he's all alone in the back moping "yeah I know where I stand". Sweet Carl moment. Dude is allright. But man Beta unleashing the horde on Alexandria... ruh oh. Guess Eugene made all those bullets just in time.

Old Man Logan #16

I know it's not the greatest series around, but man do I adore Sorrentino's art. I love the look of the series and the main reason why I still read it. I mean the arcs aren't bad (I really liked the Last Ronin) but that art man... awww yeah.

Avengers #3

MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT YOUR BIRD. Ahum. I like the start of this series than I did with the first volume of Waid's run. Not going to drop this.

Applebite

Sunstone, a beautiful lesbian bdsm love and friendship story by Stjepan Sejic.

Death Vigil by Sejic. Great characters and fun story.

Thanks, I'll look into those! Anyone know if Tokyo Ghost is any good? Looked kinda goofy but I don't mind the right kinda goofy.

Thanks, I'll look into those! Anyone know if Tokyo Ghost is any good? Looked kinda goofy but I don't mind the right kinda goofy.

I liked it but it does get goofy. A lot of people did not enjoy the hard turn the book takes in its second volume but the first is well liked here.

Seven to Eternity is off to a very promising start. If you like Remender, keep an eye on that one for the next time you are looking for trades to buy.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I'll second all of these!

It starts well but falls apart

Was clearly rushed. I feel like we missed a whole arc showing how she got her Earth Mother type power.

TheFlow

Banned

Stray bullets. don't read anything else till you read that.

hands down Image best book

Right before bed Ellis' newsletter arrived in my mail. Small one. The parts people here might enjoy:
I can't actually leak any art from THE WILD STORM, but I wish I could, because Jon is doing wonders with my terrible script.

++

KARNAK 6 is now wrapped - I proofed the colours and lettering on Tuesday night. Given its uniquely difficult run, I think Marvel will be happy to lay it to rest. I was only ever on it for six issues, but I somehow doubt anyone will be following me on that property for a while. Respect to my artists, Gerardo Zaffino and Roland Boschi, colourist Dan Brown, letterer Clayton Cowles, Darren Shan in the office and, particularly, editor Nick Lowe, for giving me the space to write this horrible little book. I suspect I have outstayed my welcome at Marvel with this thing that was really just bad readings of philosophy, punching, and a character study of an absolute trashfire of a human being. But I like to think it was worth it.

Good night~

Edit: Fuck this list and Marvel's social marketing team.

mreddie

Unstoppable Wasp 1 (Unstartable?) sold less copies so far than we sold of the first Rebirth TPBs: Superman and Green Arrow this week. It’s a shame, because I like the writer of that book from his work on Princeless, and the premise seems interesting (even if Wasp seems not to not know how acronyms work), but not every new character or minor character needs their own book, and this book’s early reaction is proof of that. I don’t think there’s a market for the actual Wasp character to support her own book, so this Wasp, who seems shoehorned into continuity is definitely not what fans are demanding.

DC did it and yet they don't get shit. Granted yes, Marvel Now is becoming Marvel You and I expect something to be done with Avengers 3 coming in a year so they might just play it safe now.

Top Bottom