• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Owzers

Four Eyes vol 1 was okay but it didn't seem to do much by the end, art was great, I liked the setting. Random 5/10.

Reading trades lately, there are just so many...

mreddie

Wasp is obviously targeted at a non-traditional audience so floppy sales aren't going to be the most important factor.

I know Unstoppable is aiming fot the Unbeatable, Hellcat, Moon Girl audience. It's the whole X doesn't deserve a book yet. Granted, it would be best to let the character warm up first but if you think he/she is ready for primetime, see if it sticks by launching her in with a established IP. That's how Kateeye, Squirrel Girl started.

Marvoo I agree is overstuffing itself and might need to trim the fat before they get completely railroaded by DC.

well damn no wonder. I think they were hoping for a Spider-Gwen situation but the mainstream appeal wasn't there.

They're playing the same playbook from Ms. Marvel, Nova and Reyes Rider but again, it's like playing the wildcat again and again, sooner or later, the audience is gonna get tired of it.

Sandfox

I know Unstoppable is aiming fot the Unbeatable, Hellcat, Moon Girl audience. It's the whole X doesn't deserve a book yet. Granted, it would be best to let the character warm up first but if you think he/she is ready for primetime, see if it sticks by launching her in with a established IP. That's how Kateeye, Squirrel Girl started.

Marvoo I agree is overstuffing itself and might need to trim the fat before they get completely railroaded by DC.

They're playing the same playbook from Ms. Marvel, Nova and Reyes Rider but again, it's like playing the wildcat again and again, sooner or later, the audience is gonna get tired of it.
She got more time than certain other characters who have gotten ongoings in the past.

mreddie

She got more time than certain other characters who have gotten ongoings in the past.

The issue is some people aren't gonna accept that character because it's connected to the diversity push

But what sucks is I think certain fans are people trade waiting or digital and the book is dictated on a old system and Marvoo not promoting books at all. I seen more ads for JLvSS than any Marvoo book not named Civil War 2. Hell, has any of the "Carol Corps" brought any of the Cap Marvel books post KSD? What about the Kamala fans? Not only that, a chunk of books fell in sales due to tying in to CW2.

Batman #14 - Thought this was a good issue. I've probably enjoyed Tom King's run on Batman more than most, although I think Detective Comics is the superior Bat-book. I haven't read All-Star yet. Didn't know that
Catwoman knew Batman's secret identity.

Since I've gotten back into comics last month, DC has really hooked me. Nightwing, Superman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Detective Comics are my favorite of the bunch. Action Comics and Batman have been good, at least good enough for me to stay on. I'm enjoying Justice League vs Suicide Squad. I'll probably try out Green Arrow, Deathstroke, and All-Star Batman pretty soon. Growing up, I was mostly Marvel with a little bit of DC, but it seems like that may be changing. Although I need to read Black Panther and I also want to read Aaron's Thor run.

Sandfox

The issue is some people aren't gonna accept that character because it's connected to the diversity push

But what sucks is I think certain fans are people trade waiting or digital and the book is dictated on a old system and Marvoo not promoting books at all. I seen more ads for JLvSS than any Marvoo book not named Civil War 2. Hell, has any of the "Carol Corps" brought any of the Cap Marvel books post KSD? What about the Kamala fans? Not only that, a chunk of books fell in sales due to tying in to CW2.
You say it's dictated by the old system, but then we have books like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl sticking around.

Also, people will call anything a diversity push.

mreddie

You say it's dictated by the old system, but then we have books like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl sticking around.

Also, people will call anything a diversity push.

I'm really nervous this is Marvel You and the whole line is gonna get shredded. The minis are the ones I get kinda but the main series feels different and yet, some don't want different, they want the familiar.

Sandfox

I'm really nervous this is Marvel You and the whole line is gonna get shredded. The minis are the ones I get kinda but the main series feels different and yet, some don't want different, they want the familiar.
Well it was All-New All-Different, which a lot of people have been underrating in terms of how different things actually are.

I'm expecting Marvel to go back to more traditional books post-Hydra Cap event. They've already started doing it a bit with their more recent announcements and rumored books.

Messi

Carol Corps didn't support the book with actual sales during Kelly Sue's run either. They were too busy pirating it to snip out panels to post on tumblr.

mreddie

Well it was All-New All-Different, which a lot of people have been underrating in terms of how different things actually are.

I'm expecting Marvel to go back to more traditional books post-Hydra Cap event. They've already started doing it a bit with their more recent announcements and rumored books.

I expect Champions rebranded as Young Avengers
Relaunching books with low sales
Bringing back solos with movies coming.
Some books to match up with the TV shit.
Stopping Iron Fist and Daredevil multiple books but combining them as a team with Defenders coming.
Stuff like World of Wakanda, Mercs and Sorcerers and other familiar spin off books going out of the window.

Carol Corps didn't support the book with actual sales during Kelly Sue's run either. They were too busy pirating it to snip out panels to post on tumblr.

Yeah, I hate to say it but stop giving in to the Tumblr crowd but keep trying to establish the diverse titles like DC is doing with Midnighter and Apollo and Batwoman.

Sandfox

Stopping Iron Fist and Daredevil multiple books but combining them as a team with Defenders coming.
Stuff like World of Wakanda, Mercs and Sorcerers and other familiar spin off books going out of the window.

Yeah, I hate to say it but stop giving in to the Tumblr crowd but keep trying to establish the diverse titles like DC is doing with Midnighter and Apollo and Batwoman.
The real important thing will be what they do with the big heroes and based on what we know there should be changes to a good number of them this year.

mreddie

The real important thing will be what they do with the big heroes and based on what we know there should be changes to a good number of them this year.

Which is why putting Tony in a coma was pointless
We know Thor is likely to reclaim the hammer at some point
Killing off Hulk is even more pointless

But then again, the movie audience doesn't go to the comics but you think it helps.

ElNarez

Banned
Marvel bungled Wasp hardcore. Like, they introduced her in the FCBD Avengers book, but then she's only a background character in Waid's Avengers and nowhere else. And then no one at Marvel thinks about advertising her book outside of comic book spheres. And since she's not as newsworthy as Ms. Marvel or Batgirl, no one that might be interested in the book hears about her.

And since Marvel is uniquely bad at launching books. (It's not just Wasp, it's Solo, it's Foolkiller, it's Great Lakes Avengers, to name but a few) So, they do STUNTS, and when that peters out, because it always does, they double down on the STUNTS, And so here we are, Marvel's doing a diversity push that racists hate and anti-racists don't trust. And it's one of the many reasons why the line is crumbling.

Sandfox

Which is why putting Tony in a coma was pointless
We know Thor is likely to reclaim the hammer at some point
Killing off Hulk is even more pointless

But then again, the movie audience doesn't go to the comics but you think it helps.
Thor is very likely getting the hammer back this year, and Aaron will probably end a 5 year Thor run
Spider-Man will
lose his company this year
and I'm expecting Slott to move on
Cap will probably go back to normal after the event

Tony and Hulk will be the interesting ones

MartyStu

Thor is very likely getting the hammer back this year, and Aaron will probably end a 5 year Thor run
Spider-Man will
lose his company this year
and I'm expecting Slott to move on
Cap will probably go back to normal after the event

Tony and Hulk will be the interesting ones

This will be the biggest loss. Aaron's run on Thor has been pretty amazing.

I do wonder what Marvel intends to do with Wolverine though. The movie is coming up, and I do not see any of the signs one usually does.

mreddie

Marvel bungled Wasp hardcore. Like, they introduced her in the FCBD Avengers book, but then she's only a background character in Waid's Avengers and nowhere else. And then no one at Marvel thinks about advertising her book outside of comic book spheres. And since she's not as newsworthy as Ms. Marvel or Batgirl, no one that might be interested in the book hears about her.

And since Marvel is uniquely bad at launching books. (It's not just Wasp, it's Solo, it's Foolkiller, it's Great Lakes Avengers, to name but a few) So, they do STUNTS, and when that peters out, because it always does, they double down on the STUNTS, And so here we are, Marvel's doing a diversity push that racists hate and anti-racists don't trust. And it's one of the many reasons why the line is crumbling.

Oh Wasp was fucked over by Civil War 2, yeah she had a tie in but did nothing in the ANAD Avengers except had 1 issue and be a side story in the rest of the Nova arc but never interacted with the team

GLA could had Marvel promote the fact the writer is from Rick and Morty but they were too busy with CW2

Gun Guys, they were the Ringos of the Mercs and thought "Let's give them a book and see who sticks."

Prowler? His book is a tie in to a book some are likely not reading or are waiting it out.

Silk? I honestly don't know what's happening there. I think I have one.

Even Kamala's getting fucked over by CW2 and putting her book on ice multiple times isn't helping.

Sandfox

This will be the biggest loss. Aaron's run on Thor has been pretty amazing.

I do wonder what Marvel intends to do with Wolverine though. The movie is coming up, and I do not see any of the signs one usually does.
The new Wolverine movie is about Old Man Logan so that could probably go either way.

Books like Foolkiller and Solo were never going to do well and we'll see how Wasp does.

I think there's a new Ms. Marvel issue this week, but it's got that Blanka-clone on the cover which just screams filler arc.
It actually doesn't seem to be a "filler" arc.

I suspect a relaunch is necessary. Marvelous Ms. Marvel?
That book actually still does well digitally and in trade. If they were going to relaunch Ms. Marvel they would've done it with Resurrxion.

TheFlow

Banned
in what objective way
Sales

Quality of books:

Young animal

Hannah Barbara

Edit: The stuff from DC was better than every other publisher overall imo.

Sheriff was the best book of the year.

Colorist were on point Great revivals. Shit what could you possible say objectively that proves what I am saying is wrong? DC was on hot fire last year and that is not an opinion

TheFlow

Banned
Am I a bad person for not having looked into Young Animal?

I am still on that 'I actually supported Omega Men before it became cool' high, and I would hate to now be part of the problem.
Young animal is amazing man. I think the books are better written than most of the rebirth books. Future quest and flindstones are so damn good as well.

Normally image is always on top for best books but things done changed

I actually would like to keep the Champions as is (though with someone other than Waid penning) and relaunch the classic Young Avengers.

Sandfox

Than why give them books in the first place?

Synder confirmed he's doing it.
Solo was done because Duggan asked for it.

Hmm. That might work. I really hope they have learned some things from Marvel and limit it to only one large event this year.
The only "big" event Marvel had in 2016 was CW2.

That wasn't an opinion. You can disagree with it sure. There are some people who think the world is flat after all ;)
ok lol.

mreddie

I actually would like to keep the Champions as is (though with someone other than Waid penning) and relaunch the classic Young Avengers.

Young Avengers as you know it is long gone. Everyone has been promoted to "top status" now...sans Eli but you know...

Champions has fallen like a dud.

TheFlow

Banned
Champions was kinda meh coming out the gate. I won't really miss it since miles, khan, and Alex hang out so much between books. Best trio

Top Bottom