• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

So I watched Civil War again and liked it a lot more than the first time, probably because I wasn't hyped up by a bunch of people on here claiming it to be the best superhero movie ever. It's a pretty entertaining movie but holy shit Zemo's plan is stupid. I also think the Scarlet Witch stuff isn't done very well. They should have made a real Cap 3 (CW is like half a Captain America movie) and put Civil War into an Avengers movie to flesh more stuff out and give the villain a less terrible plan not dependent on a bunch of convenient events and good guy stupidity.

The tenth episode, the one with
all the twists

Mike Colter, idk about this guy. I liked him a lot on JJ. But he has often seemed a little lost in the leading role. This episode in particular I felt he did not rise to the occasion at all when certain things were revealed.

The last couple of eps haven't worked that well for me either.
I miss Cottonmouth and am beginning to feel killing him was a big mistake

Well, I will keep at it then.
Diamondback is a POTENTIALLY good villain with a lot of great backstory and character elements who is largely relegated to a quippy pop culture reference machine who exists to bitch about Luke and shoot everyone. I can't stand him, and as time has gone on I've begun to dislike him even more.
Y'all need to chill. Keep it on the comics, not the people. Less snark, unless it's aimed at bad comics.
YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

So I watched Civil War again and liked it a lot more than the first time, probably because I wasn't hyped up by a bunch of people on here claiming it to be the best superhero movie ever. It's a pretty entertaining movie but holy shit Zemo's plan is stupid. I also think the Scarlet Witch stuff isn't done very well. They should have made a real Cap 3 (CW is like half a Captain America movie) and put Civil War into an Avengers movie to flesh more stuff out and give the villain a less terrible plan not dependent on a bunch of convenient events and good guy stupidity.

I think it's far more of a Cap movie than an Avengers film. THe only part that could make it an Avenger film is the fact that there are Avengers in it. Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Spider-Man, Vision, and War Machine don't get any real development. Neither do Natasha or Falcon, in fact. It's largely focused on Cap and Bucky, with Black Panther running third and Iron Man playing antagonist. Scarlet Witch gets a nice storyline, but that's only because it ties in with Zemo and she's pretty much irrelevant for at least half of the movie. The Avengers films were focused on the team as a whole. People praise CW for balancing a ton of characters, but seem to conveniently remove the fact that 2/3 of the characters exist for the airport fight and nothing more from their minds. The Avengers movies actually balanced time between all the characters, even if Age of Ultron was a bit too dense.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
You're obviously forgetting Greg Land.

I guess I did.

Greg+land_a49710_5699061.jpg

Tizoc

Wasp #1
Eh...didn't interest me that much.

Optimus Prime #2
Progressing slowly but hey W
reck-gar and the Junkions at last.

Tizoc

And yet Sonic keeps chugging but I assume Sega foots the bill

It was their main seller, and Universe had been the better book for some time.
The mainline book's current arc is pretty good though...even though it's merely Ian wedging in his own stories of the original games :p

I want this.

@Events: Marvel had The final Secret Wars issue, Standoff(remember that?), Spider-Women, Apocalypse Wars, Clone Conspiracy, CWII, DoX and now IvX and MU(the #0 came out before the new year, right?).

Oh, and since my last post before bed got lost at the bottom of a page:

Right before bed Ellis' newsletter arrived in my mail. Small one. The parts people here might enjoy:
I can't actually leak any art from THE WILD STORM, but I wish I could, because Jon is doing wonders with my terrible script.

++

KARNAK 6 is now wrapped - I proofed the colours and lettering on Tuesday night. Given its uniquely difficult run, I think Marvel will be happy to lay it to rest. I was only ever on it for six issues, but I somehow doubt anyone will be following me on that property for a while. Respect to my artists, Gerardo Zaffino and Roland Boschi, colourist Dan Brown, letterer Clayton Cowles, Darren Shan in the office and, particularly, editor Nick Lowe, for giving me the space to write this horrible little book. I suspect I have outstayed my welcome at Marvel with this thing that was really just bad readings of philosophy, punching, and a character study of an absolute trashfire of a human being. But I like to think it was worth it.

Fuck this list and Marvel's social marketing team.

Sandfox

@Events: Marvel had The final Secret Wars issue, Standoff(remember that?), Spider-Women, Apocalypse Wars, Clone Conspiracy, CWII, DoX and now IvX and MU(the #0 came out before the new year, right?).
He was talking about big events. Some of those you listed aren't events and there is no Monsters Unleashed #0.

Unless you want to count Secret Wars as a 2016 event, CW2 was the only big one.

VanWinkle

It's great that you go out of your way to give credit to everyone who helps create the OT. Nothing worse than people that hog all the glory

Awesome. Yea I really liked that Christmas issue. And the sandman & poster arcs were fun. The frustrating thing with starman with the first set of the trades done back in the day is they'd skip over all the times past issues and jump to the various story arcs which would drive me nuts. They're essential to the whole series. Same with the talking with David stories.

Yeah, I've heard about that. Really dumb. The omnis feel like they were created in great collaboration with Robinson.

Don't DoX me bro!

just ignore me...

Edit: With Multiversity being brought up with the current Superman arc is Multiversity worth going back to? Is there still supposed to be some kind of follow-up?

TheFlow

Banned
What I read last week. Monstress and Flintstones were the highlights.

1.Monstress #1
2.Monstress #2
3.Monstress #3
4.Monstress #4
5.Monstress #5
6.Monstress #6
7.Monstress #7
8.monstress #8
9.Monstress #9
10.Paper Girls #7
11.Paper Girls #8
12.Paper Girls #9
13.Paper Girls #10
14.East of West #30
15.Infamous Iron Man #3
16.Black Road #1
17.Black Road #2
18.Black Road #3
19.Black Road #4
20.Black Road #5
21.Flintstones #2
22.Flintstones #3
23.Flintstones #4
24.Flintstones #5
25.Flintstones #6
26.The unstoppable wasp #1
27.U.S Avengers #1
28.Unworthy Thor #3
29.Hawkeye #2
30.Avengers #3
31.Saga #41
32.Nova #2

Don't DoX me bro!

just ignore me...

Edit: With Multiversity being brought up with the current Superman arc is Multiversity worth going back to? Is there still supposed to be some kind of follow-up?

I,m sure other people here could offer a lot more knowledge and say whether there was any kind of follow up material but after giving multiversity a re-read recently I'd definitely recommend it, apart from the start and end issues, each issue is almost a stand alone, each covering a different earth and style of comic - if you look at some of the online breakdowns on the issues there's themes running throughout the stories to tie it all in - I can be hit or miss on morrison but its pretty darn good

I'm a bit late on this one due to the weekend and later deliveries still from the holidays, but I'd also recommend wasp 1, it was pretty charming and I really liked the idea of the ladies of science in the letters page, though I think they might need to tone it down a tiny bit maybe, its on the verge of diabetes with its sweetness sometimes

Talking about cross overs and Marvel's problems I think one problems is that most issues now are a cross over even when not stated. You'd have trouble apart from a few select out there series going a few issues of any solo series without another hero showing up or another team showing up. They don't have time to build up there own character, purpose, story or even villains. You don't even get good villains anymore, most of the time the villains are just other heroes or team mates that have a slightly different viewpoint. I love the marvel expanded universe but its all just throw away now, it has no meaning when two heroes team up.

It especially doesn't help in some cases because part way though a story it gets interrupted by a cross over or another characters story that you have no idea about unless your reading there series. I know Marvel would say that it encourages you to read another characters series but it works both ways and a lot of the time just breaks momentum and leaves you confused.

So.

Who else didn't know that Giant Days was a spinoff of a webcomic?

Ha yeah, there's actually 3 volumes solely written and drawn by John Allison set before they started making the boom issues as well (and Lissa Treiman started doing the art). I'd definitely recommend picking them up, there pretty cheap and cover some things mentioned in the boom series about how they all first met

http://shop.scarygoround.com/product/giant-days-series

stn

Reading lately...

Superman Rebirth - its... okay.
Action Comics Rebirth - much better, enjoying it.
Detective Comics Rebirth - also quite good, liking Batwoman's arc. Great character.
Rai 4001 AD - nice art but boring story.
Bloodshot USA - decent enough.

Anything new that I might be missing out on?

mreddie

Standoff = 8 books, 16 issues
Spider-Women = 3 books, 8 issues
Apocalypse Wars = 3 books, 7 issues I think

The only TRUE event was CW2, everything else was a crossover a la Monster Men.

Read the first issue of All-Star Batman last night and I liked it. I'm not a big fan of JRJr's art, but I thought this was better than most of his previous work.

Also read the first 3 issues of Deathstroke and I really don't know how I feel about this yet. Maybe if I knew more about the character, I'd enjoy it more. I'll finish the first arc.

rac

Banned

hmm should I read the rest of invincible?

also went to my local comic shop and bought superman rebirth vol. 1 and mockingbird.

omega men is dope
is there any question being a green lantern is better than being superman?
you visit different galaxies and shit superman you just stay on shitty earth.
plus gls get fake bombs planted inside their necks

I want this.

Oh, and since my last post before bed got lost at the bottom of a page:

Right before bed Ellis' newsletter arrived in my mail. Small one. The parts people here might enjoy:

Fuck this list and Marvel's social marketing team.
That list is trash. Awful.

But on the topic of events:
Standoff was a SamCap storyline with Avengers books that tied-in or were affected by it: ANAD Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, and then Howling Commandoes and Illuminati. Apocalypse Wars was nothing, just a thematic story arc across the three X-Men team books. Death of X and Clone Conspiracy were their own separate storylines. IvX is only dealing with the X-Men and Inhumans books. Civil War 2 was the only genuinely large scale event.
Talking about cross overs and Marvel's problems I think one problems is that most issues now are a cross over even when not stated. You'd have trouble apart from a few select out there series going a few issues of any solo series without another hero showing up or another team showing up. They don't have time to build up there own character, purpose, story or even villains. You don't even get good villains anymore, most of the time the villains are just other heroes or team mates that have a slightly different viewpoint. I love the marvel expanded universe but its all just throw away now, it has no meaning when two heroes team up.

It especially doesn't help in some cases because part way though a story it gets interrupted by a cross over or another characters story that you have no idea about unless your reading there series. I know Marvel would say that it encourages you to read another characters series but it works both ways and a lot of the time just breaks momentum and leaves you confused.

None of this is really as bad as you're saying: Marvel has plenty of good villains running around, as Civil War 2 isn't the status quo. As for crossovers and tie-ins: the tie-ins are never really a big deal. For example, the last two X-books I read were both Inhumans vs X-Men tie-ins, and both of them made perfect sense, because of two things: recap pages and a brief mention of what was going on around the book (narrative or dialogue). Plus, those books advanced their own storylines without coming full stop (Uncanny X-Men did a really great job of it). Crossovers have specific checklists (something DC and Marvel have been doing lately that is just awesome) if you want to follow the entire thing, but only a couple require it here and there. Spider-Women, for example, needed you to follow every issue. Standoff, however, was perfectly sensible if you only read whatever book you happened to be reading. While I agree it kills momentum in some cases, other books (Like Ewing's New Avengers) carried on without skipping a beat. It's about as much of a coin flip as reading any issue.

Top Bottom