• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

I think the costume is generally bad, the whole thing.

The torso features a simple, very standard color pattern. It's boring. If you were playing a super hero game where you get to customize the costume, this pattern is one of the options. The spider logo, which is red, is not even fully encompassed by the blue pattern, so it's red on red in a few spots. And the legs have no pattern at all, just plain red. There's also nothing interesting or flashy about the color choices that make it stick it out at all in a world teeming with spider-people

The belt separates the red/blue portion of the costume and is far too bulky for a design that is otherwise sleek and streamlined. It looks bad

You also have the color pattern on the interior of the arm matching up with the contours of his muscles which is absurd and dumb every single time I see it

And then there is the head. My god. What the hell were they thinking putting a hood on yet another Spider costume that is just attached to nothing like that. The comparison to Spider-Gwen is unavoidable and this looks like shit next to that. Spider-Gwen's costume sells the hood because it's one feature that is part of a design that is magnificent and fresh in a way of that this is not at all. And I know some artists are starting to draw suggestions of mouths under this sort of costume. I wish they would stop, it usually looks terrible and this is a particularly glaring example
It's just a straight up modernization of the OG costume. Hence the hood and the red and blue color combo with the belt. I don't think it's that bad.

Malyse

I never shipped any characters to be honest. I find that stuff to be insane when it is taken to the extreme.

I mainly went with it because I really hated Mako. I was like "Asami and Korra are a better couple than Mako and anyone". And then it happened.

I remember people talking about and thinking, "that's nice, but it's never gonna happen". I was pretty shocked.

My jaw *literally* dropped. I was so shocked especially since everyone said Mako and Korra was endgame and they had that amazing fake out just before it.

Speaking of, Threadworlds should be out soonish.

Today's a really sad day on all fronts...

In somewhat brighter news, Gail Simone was asked how it was decided that Zinda should join the BoP by a fan who misses her:
It was my idea. My father-in-law was a big fan of the Blackhawks, it was the only comic he ever really loved. And I loved the characters (even though obviously time has thankfully passed a lot of this stuff by). When I found out that the Watchtower was going to be blown up (an idea I was against, but found out about too late to stop), I wanted them to have a mobile base, which meant a pilot. And having Zinda just seemed too good an idea to skip. Readers embraced her immediately.
The Blackhawk comics came way before I was born, so I never read them originally. I fell in love with the idea of Lady Blackhawk from Beau Smith’s wonderful Guy Gardner: WARRIOR series, where she was a regular character. He’s always been a big inspiration to me, although we both write Zinda very differently. I think I was the one who gave her a slightly Oklahoma feel.
It’s interesting, people still cosplay her at cons I attend all over the world. She really resonates with people.
And finally, in a weird coincidence, one time, much later, I talked with BOP’s original writer, Chuck Dixon, and he asked if I put Lady Blackhawk in the book for him, and I had no idea what he meant. It turns out, he had LONG wanted her in the book when he was writing it, but was turned down for whatever reason. He had even written a script with her in it that didn’t get used.
So we both had wanted her to be in the book, completely separately. I have no idea why I was allowed to do it and he wasn’t, it’s weird. But it made me glad that the co-creator of the series approved of her appearance!

mreddie

So I checked some things...

Marvel Now: Around 55 books (Not counting the One shots or limited series)
DC Rebirth: 33-34 (Not counting the minis, JLvSS, one shots.)

Not Kaine? BOOOOOOOOO

What's with the Spidercide smile and look (also a Bagley design)?

New Scarlet Spider:
SCARSPID2017001-COV.jpg

Old Scarlet Spider vs Spidercide:

Agreed but you're still not my real dad.
raw

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-ben-reilly-scarlet-spider-all-new-series-peter-david-mark-bagley/

He’s a hero at heart, but a villain in his head and he is constantly trying to sort everything out.

He is trying to decide what to do with his Jackal personality, and he is literally being haunted by his earlier incarnations. He has his Scarlet Spider identity on one shoulder, urging him to follow his better angels, and the Jackal on the other hand, trying to get him to return to the path that led him to disaster. He’s trapped in the middle, endeavoring to balance the two. Of all the characters I’ve written who are having identity problems — and God knows, I’ve done a few — Ben is easily the most unhinged.

--

Oh, yes, Kaine Parker has a major place in this comic. Kaine is not going to believe that Ben is really dead, and he feels that it’s up to him to be the one to track him down. He’s on the hunt, right from issue #1.

I'm down. Very much in David's wheelhouse.

Apparently, one of books that I need to buy for the new semester for college is the first volume of American Vampire. Also, I feel like people will get mad at my post in the thread about the new Scarlet Spider series.

It's an English class is an exploration of ideas in literature and other cultural texts. Topics will vary, and texts may include film, drama, new and interactive media, poetry, fiction, graphic novels, and other literary and cultural forms.

Wonder if they would have still picked it if Stephen King hadn't had a hand in the first arc.

MartyStu

It's just a straight up modernization of the OG costume. Hence the hood and the red and blue color combo with the belt. I don't think it's that bad.

The old costume probably would have worked better as it was. This mashing with the Spidercide costume may work thematically, but not all that well otherwise.

Owzers

Scalebound cancelled, people talking about the new direction of Xbox....decision to skip Xbox one seems justified. Switch thing in three days, Trump taking over the world in eleven.

Also, my Marvel OHC collection is a bunch of trash events and books i'll never reread. Why did i do this? Used book sales.

Also also, headphone update. I ended up buying the hyperx cloud x headset but might return it before opening it because that's what i do. I also bought the Philips fidelio f1 on ear headphones for $25 at newegg, they are a little tight so i put them on a large pillow to stretch the headband a bit which the internet told me to do. After about an hour, the on ear f1's start hurting my low part of the ear, i might open the hyperx instead of returning them. Apparently the inline volume controls on the cloudx are garbage, but the mute button works. I don't like the idea of having garbage inline controls regardless if i need to use them. I bought the on-ear pair because my over ear bose set bother my glasses, the pressure on the sides bugs my eyes, and now the on-ear pair doesn't but hurts my ears. Gaming was a mistake.

Scalebound cancelled, people talking about the new direction of Xbox....decision to skip Xbox one seems justified. Switch thing in three days, Trump taking over the world in eleven.

Well, it's better than continuing to invest in a game that's not going to meet player expectations anyhow. They'd just be throwing money away at that point.

BaasRed

Banned
Hi guys. I recently read Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and enjoyed the first volume thoroughly. I wanted to continue but can't find any copies locally so I decided to bide my time with a Spider-Man comic. Thing is, the last time I read Spider-Man was 10 years ago and all the issues I read were random and had nothing to do with each other. I have no idea where to start now with Spider-Man. Do you have any recommendations of Spider-Man comics for me? (Side note: I loved the Sam Raimi movies and the old cartoons, even loved Shattered Dimensions. So anything like that would be tight!)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys. I recently read Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and enjoyed the first volume thoroughly. I wanted to continue but can't find any copies locally so I decided to bide my time with a Spider-Man comic. Thing is, the last time I read Spider-Man was 10 years ago and all the issues I read were random and had nothing to do with each other. I have no idea where to start now with Spider-Man. Do you have any recommendations of Spider-Man comics for me? (Side note: I loved the Sam Raimi movies and the old cartoons, even loved Shattered Dimensions. So anything like that would be tight!)

Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis is my go to. There's a ton of it, but if you check out Marvel Unlimited, you get access to everything older than 6 months for $8 a month.

Top Bottom