• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

tumblr_nw85kvP0S21s8l4avo2_400.gif

What's that from?

mreddie

Wheeler has been on their ass since Axel claimed he wasn't a SJW

Botching Angela and pushing straight male writers is a sore spot for him especially when male writers are doing Spider Woman and Black Widow. Marvel is doing a bad job at that but they are getting better.

And yes, Ike's bullshit hangs above them as well as eclipsing Marvel Studios despite getting that stripped from him.

That list is trash. Awful.

But on the topic of events:
Standoff was a SamCap storyline with Avengers books that tied-in or were affected by it: ANAD Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, and then Howling Commandoes and Illuminati. Apocalypse Wars was nothing, just a thematic story arc across the three X-Men team books. Death of X and Clone Conspiracy were their own separate storylines. IvX is only dealing with the X-Men and Inhumans books. Civil War 2 was the only genuinely large scale event.

None of this is really as bad as you're saying: Marvel has plenty of good villains running around, as Civil War 2 isn't the status quo. As for crossovers and tie-ins: the tie-ins are never really a big deal. For example, the last two X-books I read were both Inhumans vs X-Men tie-ins, and both of them made perfect sense, because of two things: recap pages and a brief mention of what was going on around the book (narrative or dialogue). Plus, those books advanced their own storylines without coming full stop (Uncanny X-Men did a really great job of it). Crossovers have specific checklists (something DC and Marvel have been doing lately that is just awesome) if you want to follow the entire thing, but only a couple require it here and there. Spider-Women, for example, needed you to follow every issue. Standoff, however, was perfectly sensible if you only read whatever book you happened to be reading. While I agree it kills momentum in some cases, other books (Like Ewing's New Avengers) carried on without skipping a beat. It's about as much of a coin flip as reading any issue.

Yeah there's plenty of great marvel villains, but not many that have been recently created, they don't want to give time to really build up any new villains, they want to reintroduce known villains they don't need to give any backstory for and make the story about how a character reacts to them or how a team fights among themselves while fighting them.

All the example of cross over issues mentioned there that's fair enough, but those are established characters with established back story's going back years (xmen, avengers). I mean more new characters there not giving chance to build up stories for and be the future favorites, the new ghost rider has had more guest appearances than actual ghost rider, ms marvel has been interrupted various times for tie ins and cross overs, nova has more issues with sam and kamala than not. Nadia wasp in the first issue had kamala, bobbi with the promise of moon girl shortly after.

Don't get me wrong some of these friendships and interactions are a lot of fun, just wish they'd give chance for some of these characters to build up there own mythos, villains, purpose before throwing them into the shared universe, It sometimes feels like Marvel doesn't trust them to stand on there own and if you can't establish these characters on there own its hard to feel invested in them when the big event stuff does happen.

I... I don't understand. I just cannot jam with Action Comics, whereas I find Superman Rebirth to be magical.

I am in the same place but I can see it. For a reader who is big on plot, mysteries and reveals, AC would be the better book.

And I'm sure the whole Superdad thing doesn't work for some people. Those people are weird, but I know they're out there

I was excited by this until I realised there was nothing left for me to buy after Christmas.

Well, Paper Girls volume 2. But that was it.

Edit: Wait, it doesn't work there. Which 50 titles???
Click on the link in the tumblr post and it'll take you there. Mostly vol. 1's.

Scarlet Spider has been formally announced after leaking about a month ago. Ben has a good and evil angel on each shoulder taking the form of a Spider and Jackal. Kaine is hunting him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ben Reilly?!?

And lol, that costume.

Edit: LOL, he has a 😐 Face 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Kaine, please kill it with fire

I've been thinking about this.

I'm not interesting in buying titles where I'd be supporting a creator like Brian Wood or Edmondson. However. An entire publisher is something else. Marvel makes money for Pearlmutter, that's undeniable, but is Marvel really defined by him? I'd argue it's defined by the editors and the creators they hire and the titles they publish?

Exactly who are we punishing by refusing to buy Marvel titles? What good does it do to boycott Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel or Black Panther?

Was Marvel in the 60s defined by Kirby, Ditko and Stan Lee or was it Martin Goodman?

Does Pearlmutter sit there looking over which creators to hire and which direction to take marvel comics? I doubt it.

I'd be surprised if he was interested in the publishing division at all and mostly looked at the licensing division.

I don't really fault anybody who decides otherwise but I doubt Pearlmutter gives a shit what Marvel publishes.

A preview of Monster Unleash is out on ComiXology. I really dig the kaiju designs that they have so far.
EDIT: LOL at that Ben Reily costume, but it is Bagley.

mreddie

I've been thinking about this.

Same reason with McMahons and the WWE, Linda is about to get a seat in the Trump admin and Vince is good friends with him yet I'm sure a huge chunk of the roster likely gives no fucks. They're earning checks, fans and likely just said fuck it. Would it be worth it to punish NXT and CWC because Linda?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That costume is a complete disaster. Dear god.

Axel Alonso: We need to design a new costume for Scarlet Spider. Who's got ideas?

Intern, who happens to be Axel's nephew: People loved Spider-Gwen's hood! Throw a hood on there!

Axel: Brilliant. But how will people know if he likes it?

Nephew Intern: I know, throw on a creepy half smile!

Axel: Perfect. And how are all of the logos coming along?

Nephew Intern: I found a website that gives out free fonts! People are going to love it!

Axel: Brilliant!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Axel Alonso: We need to design a new costume for Scarlet Spider. Who's got ideas?

Intern, who happens to be Axel's nephew: People loved Spider-Gwen's hood! Throw a hood on there!

Nephew Intern: I found a website that gives out free fonts! People are going to love it!

Ben Reilly had a Hoodie in the 90s.
Doesnt make this costume better, but you are completly wrong with this. Makes sense to return Ben with something from his original costume.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My Image backlog is officially finished.

Even starting its final arc Drifter is still confusing as shit!

Now it's time to read Kaijumax!

Pretty much how I think it went down

Axel: But who do we have on hand that can bring this costume to life?

Bagley: Coach, put me in there. I've been waiting my whole life for this one

Axel: ...no one else, huh

That weird smiley on Reilly's mask is killing any hype that I could have for this book quite literally.

BAGLEY THERE'S STILL TIME TO CHANGE AT LEAST THAT.

Bane

I think the costume's okay except for the head. The hood is not something they should have brought back and the mouth is just as dumb here as it is on Red Hood.

looks like chasing amy but not sure

giphy.gif

Chasing Amy
Appreciated gentlemen
Yeah there's plenty of great marvel villains, but not many that have been recently created, they don't want to give time to really build up any new villains, they want to reintroduce known villains they don't need to give any backstory for and make the story about how a character reacts to them or how a team fights among themselves while fighting them.

All the example of cross over issues mentioned there that's fair enough, but those are established characters with established back story's going back years (xmen, avengers). I mean more new characters there not giving chance to build up stories for and be the future favorites, the new ghost rider has had more guest appearances than actual ghost rider, ms marvel has been interrupted various times for tie ins and cross overs, nova has more issues with sam and kamala than not. Nadia wasp in the first issue had kamala, bobbi with the promise of moon girl shortly after.

Don't get me wrong some of these friendships and interactions are a lot of fun, just wish they'd give chance for some of these characters to build up there own mythos, villains, purpose before throwing them into the shared universe, It sometimes feels like Marvel doesn't trust them to stand on there own and if you can't establish these characters on there own its hard to feel invested in them when the big event stuff does happen.
I can agree that there are a lot of guest appearances, but a lot of these characters have built their own stuff up. Kamala has been doing that for awhile, Robbie had a previous series as it is with his own stuff, so what they're doing with this one is beyond me.

For the rest, it's mostly just to help get the series off of the ground. They already released concept art of Nadia's supporting cast, for example.
Totally am.

I... I don't understand. I just cannot jam with Action Comics, whereas I find Superman Rebirth to be magical.
Agreed but you're still not my real dad.

I think the costume is generally bad, the whole thing.

The torso features a simple, very standard color pattern. It's boring. If you were playing a super hero game where you get to customize the costume, this pattern is one of the options. The spider logo, which is red, is not even fully encompassed by the blue pattern, so it's red on red in a few spots. And the legs have no pattern at all, just plain red. There's also nothing interesting or flashy about the color choices that make it stick it out at all in a world teeming with spider-people

The belt separates the red/blue portion of the costume and is far too bulky for a design that is otherwise sleek and streamlined. It looks bad

You also have the color pattern on the interior of the arm matching up with the contours of his muscles which is absurd and dumb every single time I see it

And then there is the head. My god. What the hell were they thinking putting a hood on yet another Spider costume that is just attached to nothing like that. The comparison to Spider-Gwen is unavoidable and this looks like shit next to that. Spider-Gwen's costume sells the hood because it's one feature that is part of a design that is magnificent and fresh in a way of that this is not at all. And I know some artists are starting to draw suggestions of mouths under this sort of costume. I wish they would stop, it usually looks terrible and this is a particularly glaring example

Top Bottom