• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
What happened? I read the first issue, and it looked like it may actually be a good read.

It could not have deteriorated that quickly...
It really did deteriorate that quickly. I hear it picked up but the #2 and #3 were decisive for me

It is one of those books you read not because the writing and action panels are amazing but because you see wanna what crazy shit goes down. Like cyclops

Messi

That wasn't an opinion. You can disagree with it sure. There are some people who think the world is flat after all ;)

The only thing that was fact was sales. The rest are opinions. :)

What happened? I read the first issue, and it looked like it may actually be a good read.

I meant like critically, reception and sales. Marvel has to have been expecting better.

mreddie

First issue set up the book
2nd issue was Hulk and Viv kissing and not doing much
3rd was fighting with Terrorists
4th was fighting with a underwater army

Meanwhile Teen Titans has them vs. Ra’s al Ghul for 5 issues

Zombine

Banned
I look forward to the day when Marvel goes back to basics and puts enthusiastic young creative on their biggest IP's, and forgo events just for the hell of it and choose to incubate talent and tell stories that relate to their core like they used to. There are a handful of exciting books, but I'm tired of the old boys club and want more love put into the product.

Sandfox

It's why I think Now 1.0 is better than 2.0

well... i think a lot of things were better pre secret wars

The original Now was good because it had a lot of creators finishing up old runs and moving onto new books. With Now 2 those runs are either still going on or new ones were started with ANAD so this one had to focus on less popular stuff for the most part. In terms of actual book quality I've been fairly happy with Now 2.

I look forward to the day when Marvel goes back to basics and puts enthusiastic young creative on their biggest IP's, and forgo events just for the hell of it and choose to incubate talent and tell stories that relate to their core like they used to. There are a handful of exciting books, but I'm tired of the old boys club and want more love put into the product.
A lot of those things are already happening.

mreddie

Problem is you got Brevoort who is very old school, AA who wants sales and gimmicks and some of the others just doing it their way and just pushing out storylines before they are forced to tie in to a event. The old guard is leaving but the new guard is getting better offers and books for the rivals.

The original Now was good because it had a lot of creators finishing up old runs and moving onto new books. With Now 2 those runs are either still going on or new ones were started with ANAD so this one had to focus on less popular stuff for the most part. In terms of actual book quality I've been fairly happy with Now 2.

Same but it's frustrating the lack of promotion and attention its getting over a event that should have ended months ago.

Messi

Riri stale already?

Avengers got a new team members

Spider Man? Which one?

You think this is bad, go to the 80s/90s.

Del Mundo on Avengers isn't exciting? Zombeen pls.

Generally Marvels solo titles are written by newer people. Leth, Whitley, Zdarsky, Pearlman, North, Thompson all have books recently

Messi

My wish for 2017 is for Marvel to reprint X-Statix so I can buy it. Also Wolverine and the X-Men.

North is like a funnier Zdarsky. But Zdarsky is hilarious on twitter. North brought Sabrina to Jughead so he wins.

TheFlow

Banned
Archie I get but Champs? Nah, I had a feeling he would kinda fuck it up. Avengers and the .1s helps because its about continuity but Champs feels...off.

I had no idea how old he was till I looked up. He worked on a lot of solid books so I can see how he would get picked for big titles over upcomers.

Archie was decent but didn't wow me like I wanted. I read the first arc recently. Does it get way better?

Messi

I had no idea how old he was till I looked up. He worked on a lot of solid books so I can see how he would get picked for big titles over upcomers.

Archie was decent but didn't wow me like I wanted. I read the first arc recently. Does it get way better?

Archie is constantly good but I'd say the Staples issues are the best. It likely isn't for you.

Ramos ain't helping anyone sell a book.

mreddie

Honestly, I jumped before the Cherry arc happened, wasn't bad, just needed to save money. Jughead I'm only reading for Sabrina.

TheFlow

Banned
Honestly, I jumped before the Cherry arc happened, wasn't bad, just needed to save money. Jughead I'm only reading for Sabrina.

ah I gotcha fam. and yea I wanna read Jughead just because of Sabrina. I think she is getting a archie style book this year. can't remember the exact archie book announcements.

Top Bottom