• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

oh

the bad monster hunter clone with a sense of style and tunes straight out of 2009 got cancelled

7mBWZBW.jpg

Acrylic7

No. That's right. The special edition is equivalent to trades 1-7 (Fantagraphics) then publishing switched to Dark Horse where the trades go from vol. 8 onwards. Or the meatier saga collections which are equivalent to about three standard trade collections. So Usagi Yojimbo saga volume 1 is the start of the Dark Horse stuff and collects trade volumes 8 through 10.

Yep, that's the reading order. Nothing missing inbetween. FB box set is books 1-7. Dark Horse saga v1 is book 8,9 and 10.

Edit: Ah, I see arkon's already answered your question.

Thanks!

Ether #2

holy shiiiiiit

The implication that he basically attempted suicide over the portal and that's how he found out how it worked is fucking wrecking me. What an astonishingly good comic.

Am I the only one going crazy about the implications of Wally and the cover of Titans 7? The cover suggests that this Wally is pre-Flashpoint Wally and that he and Superman know each other. I feel like the information that we know so far kind of suggests he is a New 52 Wally that basically never existed.

-The New 52 characters remember him eventually and just address it as lost time that was taken away but really did happen.
-He doesn't reference the fact that he had children?
-He's younger, which could just be the time force.
-I didn't read convergence or much of pre New-52 but did that Wally die? Not sure.

The way I have understood it is that this Wally existed in New 52 and Kadabra made him lost in the timeline. During that time Manhattan(or whoever) took time away from the New 52 and in that time made everyone forget Wally. Then he gets rescued out of the time force.

So how the fuck does he and Superman know each other.

Ross61

Am I the only one going crazy about the implications of Wally and the cover of Titans 7? The cover suggests that this Wally is pre-Flashpoint Wally and that he and Superman know each other. I feel like the information that we know so far kind of suggests he is a New 52 Wally that basically never existed.

-The New 52 characters remember him eventually and just address it as lost time that was taken away but really did happen.
-He doesn't reference the fact that he had children?
-He's younger, which could just be the time force.
-I didn't read convergence or much of pre New-52 but did that Wally die? Not sure.

The way I have understood it is that this Wally existed in New 52 and Kadabra made him lost in the timeline. During that time Manhattan(or whoever) took time away from the New 52 and in that time made everyone forget Wally. Then he gets rescued out of the time force.

So how the fuck does he and Superman know each other.

Aren't New 52 characters just Post Crisis with time lost? Doesn't Wally have memories of Post Crisis universe? Hasn't it been questioned and outright said that Post Crisis Superman may not be who he thinks he is?

Aren't New 52 characters just Post Crisis with time lost? Doesn't Wally have memories of Post Crisis universe? Hasn't it been questioned and outright said that Post Crisis Superman may not be who he thinks he is?

I thought the whole post crisis/new 52 transition was a little weird with some characters retaining a lot of their history and some none at all. I just assumed it was a different timeline/different people just with a lot of the same history.

Oz has said pre-convergence Superman may not be who he thinks, but who knows. That does add some more weird into it.

I read a bunch of comics yesterday! Here's the first half.

Spider-Man #11: Of all the books that tied into CWII, Spider-Man had it rougher than most. Five tie-in issues, and he was hardly in some of those issues at all. When he was, the story of CWII was essential, as Miles was one of the more important characters in the event. Five issues. That was half the series up to that point. So it was with great excitement that I opened the cover of this issue and found...another comic that isn't about Miles. /headdesk

There's nothing really wrong with this story, and it's typical of Bendis to devote an entire issue to a supporting character to set up plot threads that will (sometimes) pay off down the line but...really? Was this the right moment? If it was, did it HAVE to be told in such exhaustive detail? Pretty frustrating issue despite being reasonably good. I want to read about the adventures of Miles Morales, Spider-Man, again! When are we gonna do that, BMB?

Moon Knight #10: It's the first issue of a Moon Knight arc, thus I am equal parts perplexed and intrigued and very interested in seeing what happens next.

Nova #2: I was lukewarm to the first issue of this book, which didn't show the Novas interacting at all and didn't leave much room for Rich, period. This was SO much better. I am totally sold on the concept of this series now. The writing is often legitimately witty (I actually laughed out loud at
"Well, well, well. If it isn't my old nemesis. PUBERTY" even if those jokes got stale pretty fast
), Sam and Rich work well together, they have a great dynamic, and OH MY GOD
COSMO
IS IN IT HOW COULD I NOT LOVE IT?? Did I mention they immediately
fuck off to space which is just what I wanted? Obviously they can't stay out there full time but that is where they should be as often as possible because that is where Novas are best.
Great fucking book, highly recommended.

edit: One more thing. It would be an interesting choice for Rich's
visions of the dead to turn out to be PTSD. It makes sense that someone trapped in a hell dimension for years would have to deal with that, and this is a fitting manifestation thus far. I would vastly prefer this to a magical/supernatural explanation

Flintstones #7: Probably the weakest issue of the series thus far. That still puts it head and shoulders above most everything else...but this book walks many fine lines and I don't think it quite managed it this time around. Some of the story's themes are a little too obvious - the bits with the
worker being trapped under rubble
and
the alien narration
, particularly the way these two aspects played off each other, felt too on the nose. The MVP of this issue is
Reverend Tom
which should surprise no one who has been reading the book.

Uncanny Avengers #17-#18: Over the past couple of months, I've grown increasingly critical of team books in which the featured teams don't have meaningful and interesting interactions, or where they just line up one after the other in combat, taking turns to swing at the baddie like it's a Dungeons and Dragons game. This shit is everywhere, and I'm sick of it.

Uncanny Avengers is the antidote to this age of lazy team books. It would be hard to express how much this book has grown on me since Standoff. It has gone from a book I dropped before its first arc was finished, to a book that rivals Remender's Uncanny runs (okay, just the Avengers half so far). It is that good. The fights feel like epic clashes against major foes, and not just plain jane "classic" foes, but novel takes on those enemies that raise the stakes in ways that feel personal for almost every member on the team. The fight against
zombie Hulk
in #17 is, holy shit, incredible. The characterization is on point, team members have interesting relationships, and most importantly they work together in meaningful ways. It is a terrific team book.

Shame about the fill-in art on #18. Seems like a pretty important arc to have a fill-in artist stuck on, but maybe this is all setup for the big finish. After the Pymtron and Hand arcs, Pepe Larraz has landed on my radar, I need him back on this book ASAP.

I thought the whole post crisis/new 52 transition was a little weird with some characters retaining a lot of their history and some none at all. I just assumed it was a different timeline/different people just with a lot of the same history.

Oz has said pre-convergence Superman may not be who he thinks, but who knows. That does add some more weird into it.
Since the covers to the Superman Reborn crossover shows
both a Blue and Red Superman I'm betting on Mr. Oz having split Superman in two or something. Dad!Superman does have a peculiar blue glow...
I read a bunch of comics yesterday! Here's the first half.

Spider-Man #11: Of all the books that tied into CWII, Spider-Man had it rougher than most. Five tie-in issues, and he was hardly in some of those issues at all. When he was, the story of CWII was essential, as Miles was one of the more important characters in the event. Five issues. That was half the series up to that point. So it was with great excitement that I opened the cover of this issue and found...another comic that isn't about Miles. /headdesk

There's nothing really wrong with this story, and it's typical of Bendis to devote an entire issue to a supporting character to set up plot threads that will (sometimes) pay off down the line but...really? Was this the right moment? If it was, did it HAVE to be told in such exhaustive detail? Pretty frustrating issue despite being reasonably good. I want to read about the adventures of Miles Morales, Spider-Man, again! When are we gonna do that, BMB?

Moon Knight #10: It's the first issue of a Moon Knight arc, thus I am equal parts perplexed and intrigued and very interested in seeing what happens next.

Nova #2: I was lukewarm to the first issue of this book, which didn't show the Novas interacting at all and didn't leave much room for Rich, period. This was SO much better. I am totally sold on the concept of this series now. The writing is often legitimately witty (I actually laughed out loud at
"Well, well, well. If it isn't my old nemesis. PUBERTY" even if those jokes got stale pretty fast
), Sam and Rich work well together, they have a great dynamic, and OH MY GOD
COSMO
IS IN IT HOW COULD I NOT LOVE IT?? Did I mention they immediately
fuck off to space which is just what I wanted? Obviously they can't stay out there full time but that is where they should be as often as possible because that is where Novas are best.
Great fucking book, highly recommended.

Flintstones #7: Probably the weakest issue of the series thus far. That still puts it head and shoulders above most everything else...but this book walks many fine lines and I don't think it quite managed it this time around. Some of the story's themes are a little too obvious - the bits with the
worker being trapped under rubble
and
the alien narration
, particularly the way these two aspects played off each other, felt too on the nose. The MVP of this issue is
Reverend Tom
which should surprise no one who has been reading the book.

Uncanny Avengers #17-#18: Over the past couple of months, I've grown increasingly critical of team books in which the featured teams don't have meaningful and interesting interactions, or where they just line up one after the other in combat, taking turns to swing at the baddie like it's a Dungeons and Dragons game. This shit is everywhere, and I'm sick of it.

Uncanny Avengers is the answer. It would be hard to express how much this book has grown on me since Standoff. It has gone from a book I dropped before its first arc was finished, to a book that rivals Remender's Uncanny runs (okay, just the Avengers half so far). It is that good. The fights feel like epic clashes against major foes, and not just plain jane "classic" foes, but novel takes on those enemies that raise the stakes in ways that feel personal for almost every member on the team. The fight against
zombie Hulk
in #17 is, holy shit, incredible. The characterization is on point, team members have interesting relationships, and most importantly they work together in meaningful ways. It is a terrific team book.

Shame about the fill-in art on #18. Seems like a pretty important arc to have a fill-in artist stuck on, but maybe this is all setup for the big finish. After the Pymtron and Hand arcs, Pepe Larraz has landed on my radar, I need him back on this book ASAP.
The Flintstones issue was apparently one that started out as being solicited for later but got switched with an earlier issue later.

Impressions of a bunch more comics I read yesterday!

The Unworthy Thor #3: This issue was all right, saved by its gorgeous art from a weak entry in the plot (which is still distressing as this isn't a long story as it is). I feel like Odinson's
bout of warrior madness
is an ill-justified way to kill some time and keep him in the story while the stage around him is properly set. It still leads to a gorgeous fight so whatever, but there's nothing behind it and the resolution is obvious from the beginning. I also really don't like
Black Swan as a "minion of Thanos," maybe I'm missing some character development for her but that doesn't seem like a suitable role. She is bigger than Thanos imho. Why is she serving him? Just needs to serve someone might as well be Thanos? As a bonus, she has the worst dialogue in the book by far

The issue is ultimately saved by some terrific call-backs, to the early days of Aaron's run (increasing the sense that, yes, we are nearing the end) and also, to my surprise,
Journey into Mystery
. Fucking
Thori
? Hel yes.

U.S.Avengers #1: I have some problems with the way Al Ewing does team books. Most of the characters on his teams seem to flatten into one or two character traits. He doesn't trust his audience to remember who on the team has what function or powers. His team fights tend to focus on one or two big moments - there is almost always a "______ to the rescue!" panel, sometimes two. The villains he utilizes never seem to have much pathos behind their motives, or convincing personal agendas. He does a reasonably good job with the big fight at the center of this issue, the team works together reasonably well, but it is bogged down with all that other crap I am beginning to associate with Ewing. The
interviews
, my god, terrible, boring, uninspired choice for introducing the team. God how many times have I read this exact setup technique. At least Ewing helpfully identifies the single trait he intends to whittle each of these characters down to in these scenes. Dear writers, please do not waste half your fucking first issue on bullshit like this.

Not even a great last-page hook to hang my hat on, sadly. One more issue, because I did enjoy New Avengers for the most part.

Superman #13-14: I don't have much to say about either of these issues other than this series is beginning to stumble for me. The Frankenstein two-parter, I didn't think much of at all and its latter half was especially weak. The Multiversity stuff...I'm sure that the appearance of some of these characters is exciting for some of you guys, right? I've never read Multiversity (I know, I know); as an outsider it felt pretty hollow. I'm assuming there is some
impressive, malevolent villain or entity behind the terrible alien dudes
because on their own merits they are extremely terrible and unimpressive antagonists.

I miss Jon. I'm not convinced this book works without Jon.

Black Widow #9: I guess we'll see where this goes but I didn't love this issue. The fight at the center of it is well portrayed by Samnee but I don't feel it is quite as strong as other action-heavy entries in this series, particularly the first issue (a high bar, admittedly). I'm not as thrilled to see Bucky as I thought I would be; the writing is too heavy-handed, in particular
NICK FURY WOULD LIKE A WORD WITH YOU FULL SPLASH PAGE DUN DUN DUNNN
! Hmmm no shit? You see, I have been paying attention to the events of the last eight issues so this doesn't come as a great galloping shock. Why is this a big moment?

Doctor Strange #15: I fucking love this arc so much. So much. This issue is comics nirvana.

edit: Duggan is a great fucking choice for GotG. Get a Nova on that team, stat.

Sandfox

More Duggan on cosmic is a good thing and this supports my theory that he was writing Solo to wait for a certain book to open up.

mreddie

Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be double-shipping with character-centric stories featuring guest artists bridging the longer story arcs, not entirely dissimilar to the Deadpool 2099 schedule.

Double Shipping? NOOOOOOOO.

Neoxon

More Duggan on cosmic is a good thing and this supports my theory that he was writing Solo to wait for a certain book to open up.
I would have preferred Loveness & Pérez, but Duggan works too. I guess it's best to let Loveness & Pérez focus fully on Nova.

Vibranium

Banned
I wish Star-Lord had his helmet back (the outfit is a nice throwback I guess). If Gunn could give him it in GotG3 maybe we could get it to return in the comics.

But hey, looks like it could be fun. I'm ok with corporate synergy since I know there's not much I can do about it.

Sandfox

So looking at the interview there will be a stowaway meaning another team member and it looks like the Nova Corps might be rebuilt finally.

Neoxon

So looking at the interview there will be a stowaway meaning another team member and it looks like the Nova Corps might be rebuilt finally.
I'm guessing that stowaway is Mantis, & I hope that the rebuilding of the Nova Corps will be touched on in the Nova book (with Richard & Sam being at the fore-front of the Nova Corps' return).

We all know why Groot is tiny Duggan. You don't need to pretend.
Seriously, this Guardians has let the movie's popularity define them and their adventures more so than any other past attempt at MCU synergy. Soon nobody will remember what they originally were before the movie.

That logo is also kinda confusing. If "All-New" and "Of The" were written into the logo then it makes it seem like the original logo was "Guardians Galaxy".

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Some good comics out tomorrow

All Star Batman #6
Deathstroke #10
Detective Comics #948
Justice League Power Rangers #1
Justice League Vs Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #9
Wonder Woman #14

James Bond Felix Leiter #1

All-New Wolverine #16