• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Here are some big names

Greg Land
Mark Bagley
Rob Liefeld

Funny that you reject Brian Michael Bendis out of hand but most of those other names aren't A-list enough to even be considered. That makes for a narrow and frankly bland window of talent that you would be happy with. So maybe get ready to be disappointed.

...assuming there is anything to this so-far-unsubstantiated rumor

Weiss

Banned
you what!? that book had numerous civil war tie ins and is still one of the better written books at Marvel.

I would love Bendis on Amazing Spider-man but I rather not see him on most of Marvel's heavy hitters.

I actually ended up dropping Spider-Miles recently. It was good, but I'm not in the mood for it getting sidetracked by Champions and Captain Hydra.

I'm a huge fan of Ms. Marvel, but between the last trade being about ANAD Avengers, the next being about Civil War II, and now she's double timing with Champions and some new shitty Inhumans book that'll die in a week, it's getting hard to like her book when it's getting dragged around by the whims of crossovers.

That's Marvel, I guess. Hey you know this character that got popular being easily accessible to new readers? Fuck that now she's on the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Runaways and the Slingers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe I just cant imagine these writers on Spider-Man. Its easy to sit in the present and remember good runs and just forgetting that these these great writers from the past not always started as big as they are now.
We will see what happens. And yes, I expect to be disappointed.

Sandfox

I actually ended up dropping Spider-Miles recently. It was good, but I'm not in the mood for it getting sidetracked by Champions and Captain Hydra.

I'm a huge fan of Ms. Marvel, but between the last trade being about ANAD Avengers, the next being about Civil War II, and now she's double timing with Champions and some new shitty Inhumans book that'll die in a week, it's getting hard to like her book when it's getting dragged around by the whims of crossovers.

That's Marvel, I guess. Hey you know this character that got popular being easily accessible to new readers? Fuck that now she's on the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Runaways and the Slingers.
Secret Warriors is being written by Matthew Rosenberg so I expect good things.

mreddie

Don't forget David Walker, how are y'all sleeping on Walker?

Deadpool says hi, he was on 3 teams at once, same with Logan.

Saddling Ms. Marvel with tie-in after tie-in is honestly one of the worst mistakes in comics of the 21st century so far

I knew so many non-comic/non-cape readers who were reading that book, they've all stopped and it was invariably due to this or that tie-in.

Edit: I guess it's just been two but that's two too many. My kid never picked it up again after the first issue of Last Days. I don't know anybody who bought the new trade.

mreddie

Saddling Ms. Marvel with tie-in after tie-in is honestly one of the worst mistakes in comics of the 21st century so far

I knew so many non-comic/non-cape readers who were reading that book, they've all stopped and it was invariably due to this or that tie-in.

Her book only had 2 tie ins in her main series. (Wars and CW2)

Although I think the latter is where people didn't want that shit polluting her book.

And PM & IF is legitimately funny. I wouldn't mind Walker on Spider-Man.

I just hope they aren't looking for someone else who wants to be in the driver's seat for a decade or however long it's been. Like I can't see reading Walker Spider-Man for as long as I've been reading Slott Spider-Man, for example. Let's have a few tight, concise runs first.

Her book only had 2 tie ins in her main series. (Wars and CW2)

Although I think the latter is where people didn't want that shit polluting her book.

I honestly don't even think Last Days was a good idea. There were only a few books that did Last Days storylines, why that one? I realized it had only been two and edited my post, but CWII seems to have disrupted casual interest in the character.

Spencer I can see on ASM. Maybe Aaron. Wouldnt put anyone of the other on the book.
Sorry. I know this may be a shitty opinion, but I just consider most of these people not big enough to work on Spider-Man. To bad that Ellis took himself out with Karnak and his shitty time-management, I would have given him a chance on this book maybe.

Ellis hates Spider-man. He's talked about it back in the past and it's why he made Peter Parker suffer so much in that limited series Ruins)

My pick would be Matthew Rosenberg, Ryan North or Zdarsky (his Spider-man in Howard the Duck always made me laugh and dude knows how to zing on Twitter). Better yet, these are writers who wouldn't feel like they were beholden to decades of continuity. And they don't really need to worry about name recognition from people like you as long as they're paired up with superstar artists like Immonen.

mreddie

I honestly don't even think Last Days was a good idea. There were only a few books that did Last Days storylines, why that one? I realized it had only been two and edited my post, but CWII seems to have disrupted casual interest in the character.

Wilson I think wants to play ball with the other main series but I think I blame Axel, he had a new golden goose now that Wolverine was frozen and before DP was the actual next golden goose.

Her popularity media wise influenced this. Sadly now, some readers are trade waiting now and some just hate the fact the most positive hero book in the line is getting weighed down by editorial bullshit

GAMEPROFF

Banned
130 Power Man and Iron Fist 10 $3.99 Marvel 19,934

Not danger zone wise since some books rise from there quick plus digital might save it.

Dunno about trades,

Nah, I meant that one Solobook where he is still running around in his old costume, the one that was years in the making.

mreddie

Nah, I meant that one Solobook where he is still running around in his old costume, the one that was years in the making.

Oh that one, that's doing better.

118 Cage 2 $3.99 Marvel 22,647

Hellcat is fine but with Unstoppable now, I think I have my fluff fix already. Sadly, I think Leth is leaving after the book is done.

TheFlow

Banned
I think iron fist is very deserving of a solo book but two books is probably the riskiest thing I have seen Marvel do since Sam taking over for Cap

I have to say I think it's pretty lame that Iron Fist is getting two new books to coincide with his Netflix series and Luke got a late 4-issue mini

TheFlow

Banned
I have to say I think it's pretty lame that Iron Fist is getting two new books to coincide with his Netflix series and Luke got a late 4-issue mini

As much as I would want a luke cage solo series I feel PM&IF is all I need.

the luke cage mini is amazing though. each issue gets better and better.

Just when Spider-Woman was getting back on track. :(
Look at the March cover. If that isn't "final issue" material I don't know what else it is.
spider-woman17-coverr1pdp.jpg
She'll probably go back to being a guest in Jessica Jones and Captain Marvel.

Remember when it was a foregone conclusion here that Old Man Logan was ending based on a solicit? Let's just wait.

Regardless I am happy we have had that book for as long as we have.

Top Bottom