• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
The train arc where the train started as a secret train that was just an idea by queens father and was batstardized to take drugs from an unknown island to the states and then the next issue it's some huge publicized mass transit train that a random diplomat is killed on that they just happen to fall into. That story was stupid as hell and nonsense throughout.
The way it happened was meh but the action panels and writing made the train arc awesome. The gang getting all split up made the narration a little unfocused but once you past That it is a good time.

The writing I won't defend because it is cheesy

How many people dropped Moon Girl after #3?

I did.

I didn't. That book is fucking amazing.

It is still probably headed for Canceltown. Sooner or later, all books go there.

Gwen merch

oooooooooh. I want all of the things.

So is Marvel all we talk about now or

No one has mentioned the Goon or Hillbilly in a while. What is going on?

Funko gwenpool I'm in.

It's a bobble, I'm out.

The bobble thing would bother me more if I took them out of the boxes.

Messi

I did.

It is still probably headed for Canceltown. Sooner or later, all books go there.

oooooooooh. I want all of the things.

No one has mentioned the Goon or Hillbilly in a while. What is going on?

The bobble thing would bother me more if I took them out of the boxes.

Sure. But you can't live in fear of cancellation. You have to try enjoy what you get.

The way it happened was meh but the action panels and writing made the train arc awesome. The gang getting all split up made the narration a little unfocused but once you past That it is a good time.

See I liked the cheesy in the first arc because it just felt fun. But I feel like as soon as they got to the island(I really liked the small Emiko story in between) it seemed like the fun went out the window in a way. It was like it was relying on funny situations and the cheesy dialogue to seem fun but it came off just forced to me. Like I'm the most recent issues it was supposed to be funny that Queen got stuck in the stadium after the player gets shot but it comes off to me just seeming stupid. Then the guy just jumps on a blimp to get away by riding on it? That actually was funny but still felt dumb I'm a Batman 66 kind of way.

Levito

Banned
Darth Vader is IMO the best, but Star Wars itself is cool, too.

Lando is excellent. Also check out Anakin And Obi-Wan, it's a great mini-series.

The main Star Wars book by Jason Aaron has a bunch of different stories in it too.

Besides the regular Star Wars book and Darth Vader, I've only ever read Lando and Obi-Wan & Anakin. I strongly recommend them, especially Lando. I can't comment on Chewbacca or Han Solo and I only read the first two issues of Princess Leia because I didn't have much interest at the time to keep going. Doctor Aphra is sort of the sequel book to Darth Vader and while it's only two issues in so far, it's not bad. Dialogue is solid but the art is lacking when it comes to background as in more than some panels don't have any. I'd still give it a shot if you wish to continue with the character after she's introduced in Darth Vader.

There's a Poe Dameron book out but I don't know if anyone here is reading it. I keep forgetting it exists myself.

Thank you all! I think I'll go with Lando, I didn't even know there was a Lando comic!

TheFlow

Banned
See I liked the cheesy in the first arc because it just felt fun. But I feel like as soon as they got to the island(I really liked the small Emiko story in between) it seemed like the fun went out the window in a way. It was like it was relying on funny situations and the cheesy dialogue to seem fun but it came off just forced to me. Like I'm the most recent issues it was supposed to be funny that Queen got stuck in the stadium after the player gets shot but it comes off to me just seeming stupid. Then the guy just jumps on a blimp to get away by riding on it? That actually was funny but still felt dumb I'm a Batman 66 kind of way.
Woah player spoilers! I am behind 2 issues.
I don't think the island was supposed to be a fun type of situation.

Woah player spoilers! I am behind 2 issues.
I don't think the island was supposed to be a fun type of situation.

My bad, figured if we were talking about it all was open. Wasn't thinking.

I think he's just lost me on GA. I didn't like it before Rebirth and he surprised the hell out of me the first arc and I'm really liking TT but I think he's lost me on GA.

TheFlow

Banned
My bad, figured if we were talking about it all was open. Wasn't thinking.

I think he's just lost me on GA. I didn't like it before Rebirth and he surprised the hell out of me the first arc and I'm really liking TT but I think he's lost me on GA.
That's fair man. I am still going to keep on with it

VanWinkle

edit: also if you wanna see something get discussed the best way is to write about it.

Fair, fair. People only discuss what they want to discuss, though. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But most of the stuff I post about gets no attention (again, which is fine; if people aren't interested in it they aren't going to talk about it).

TheFlow

Banned
Fair, fair. People only discuss what they want to discuss, though. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But most of the stuff I post about gets no attention (again, which is fine; if people aren't interested in it they aren't going to talk about it).

most of the stuff you post about I literally have not read. like Green Lanterns and some of the older DC stuff. I have only been reading western comics since 2012.

JC, I'm glad you convinced me to jump on MOKF. It just gets better with every issue!

aTjDv7S.jpg

VanWinkle

most of the stuff you post about I literally have not read. like Green Lanterns and some of the older DC stuff. I have only been reading western comics since 2012.

Brah. I've been reading comics since June 2015. (seriously though, that's totally fine, haha. I was saying the Marvel thing in jest.)

kmfdmpig

Lol, the week they've had, let's talk about DC

Jon hasn't been in recent issues of Superman too much. Does this book work without Supes sharing the limelight with his son?

The parts that work best for me are the Superman dynamics with other characters. Whether that's with Jon, Bruce, Lois, Diana, or others is OK with me. Trinity also seems to work best when it focuses on character interactions between Superman and one of the others.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

THIS IS MY JAM.

Duggan is one of the few writers that really gets Deadpool right, so damn, I'm ready for his Guardians. And some hate Kuder, but I think he's got the right feel for a book full of aliens.

PsychBat!

Banned
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

THIS IS MY JAM.

Duggan is one of the few writers that really gets Deadpool right, so damn, I'm ready for his Guardians. And some hate Kuder, but I think he's got the right feel for a book full of aliens.

Duggan co-wrote the best tie-in to Secret Wars and the Guardians were in the book, so I'm in for this.

Sandfox

I forgot that Duggan wrote that Infinity Gauntlet book for Secret Wars. Just another reason why it's good to have him on Guardians.

If this stretch of announcements keeps up I wonder if we're going to get books spinning out of Monsters Unleashed soon.

TheFlow

Banned
He is also writing Uncanny Avengers which is the best team book anyone is writing at the moment

I can only take your word for it because I have no interest in the team to actually try it.

also can someone explain to me why Gamora is a flashback solo series and everything else is current for guardian solos.

mreddie

I can only take your word for it because I have no interest in the team to actually try it.

also can someone explain to me why Gamora is a flashback solo series and everything else is current for guardian solos.
Backstory? I think it was made around the time Gamora was planned to take a break from the group. Star Lord was a prequel series as first too.

For some reason, I really want G. Willow Wilson to do a Thor book. I'm unclear as to why, but I want it.

Using the train as a counterpoint was a mistake. Train was boring, Island of Scars started well as more of a slow burn, character driven arc, but petered out into a ball of nothing. Emerald Outlaw has been great though, which is good after four issues of mediocrity.
He is also writing Uncanny Avengers which is the best team book anyone is writing at the moment
Man I dunno. It's awesome, but Detective and Champions are still both rocking super hard for me right now.

TheFlow

Banned
For some reason, I really want G. Willow Wilson to do a Thor book. I'm unclear as to why, but I want it.

Using the train as a counterpoint was a mistake. Train was boring, Island of Scars started well as more of a slow burn, character driven arc, but petered out into a ball of nothing. Emerald Outlaw has been great though, which is good after four issues of mediocrity.

Man I dunno. It's awesome, but Detective and Champions are still both rocking super hard for me right now.

Train was boring!? say what. how can yah like the first arc then dislike the train.

Top Bottom