• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

27 issues is good run though.

Yeah, I can't complain too much. Just bummed it got bogged down for a bit with this latest run. The Spider-Women cross-over and the CWII stuff just got the book so far off track IMO.

GAF may be GAF but it's not news. Yeesh, people.

But GAF is where I get my news.

Look at the March cover. If that isn't "final issue" material I don't know what else it is.

She'll probably go back to being a guest in Jessica Jones and Captain Marvel.

....Ok, I think I'm fine with this.

TheFlow

Banned
you know what I think I am down for another issue of Wasp. The book has a good message and I rather support it rather than see it get replaced with something generic.

cancelled at 12 issue

mreddie

you know what I think I am down for another issue of Wasp. The book has a good message and I rather support it rather than see it get replaced with something generic.

cancelled at 12 issue

Unbeatable says hi, Moon Girl too.

B4 you say Mockingbird proves me moot.

Yeah, I can't complain too much. Just bummed it got bogged down for a bit with this latest run. The Spider-Women cross-over and the CWII stuff just got the book so far off track IMO.

Her tie ins were the superior tie ins though, sans Spider Verse.

lmao

i mean literally.

the trade is like six months away minimum.

schol don't do floppies, do they?

I meant the deal in general has been working out great for some non-traditional books, not that Wasp or even Wasp Scholastic trades are comparatively special. Just that the book seems made to be a part of that initiative.

lmao

i mean literally.

the trade is like six months away minimum.

schol don't do floppies, do they?
Champions #1 had 100-200K copies sent to them IIRC the pre-order numbers by shops for variant covers etc correctly(yes, Schol got their own variant cover).

Yep:
Well, I am told that the largest single buyer of Champions #1 was another comics publisher, Scholastic
They run book fairs at schools and have their own variant of Champions #1.
They didn't pick up #2 going by numbers.

mreddie

I mean not cancelled* I don't want it cancelled, just surprise it is still hanging in there

As said, Schol and trades help. Digital...who know?

C11g7XZUsAE8cGc.jpg

Gwen merch

I volunteer at Scholastic book fairs almost every year and I'm telling you guys. So fucking smart.

Scholastic packs the cases and sends them to each school...I'm not sure there is even a way for a school to "opt out" if they don't think there is educational value in comics. Kids usually have assigned times when they get sent in there clutching fives, tens and twenties their parents gave them to buy books, those kids always get things with lots of pictures (and Minecraft books).

There are the parents who restrict what their kids can buy, and those who do their shopping after the fair but I'd say you have half a school of kids at least who will choose and purchase their own books. Every school I have volunteered at has run two book fairs every year, and these book fairs take place all over.

Scholastic probably bought at least 200,000 copies of Champions #1 for book fairs and I'm sure they had no problem moving them.

I think I've decided what book I would be saddest to see announced from Marvel this year: Fantastic Four...by Bendis.

I think I've decided what ComcsGAF post I would be saddest to see posted this year: This one....by You.

Like, yeah Bendis has no track record for writing a family book ever, Ultimate Spider-Man sucked, both iterations, he's the worst. Knows nothing about family dynamics and could never -- WH WH WH WHOOPS FELL UP THE STAIRS TRYING TO TYPE THAT SORRY HUISBASKBFHTA3D3A

I think I've decided what ComcsGAF post I would be saddest to see posted this year: This one....by You.

Like, yeah Bendis has no track record for writing a family book ever, Ultimate Spider-Man sucked, both iterations, he's the worst. Knows nothing about family dynamics and could never -- WH WH WH WHOOPS FELL UP THE STAIRS TRYING TO TYPE THAT SORRY HUISBASKBFHTA3D3A
After Guardians and seeing him doing well with Jessica Jones and more grounded characters I don't want him to be the architect behind the First Family's first post-SW adventures. I want Slott.

Edit: ^

After Guardians and seeing him doing well with Jessica Jones and more grounded characters I don't want him to be the architect behind the First Family's first post-SW adventures. I want Slott.

Edit: ^

I'd be very interested in a more grounded take on Marvel's First Family.

It's also pretty much the last big franchise he hasn't written yet. Might as well get used to it. It's GAF HAPPENING™.

I'd be very interested in a more grounded take on Marvel's First Family.

It's also pretty much the last big franchise he hasn't written yet. Might as well get used to it. It's GAF HAPPENING™.
The magic books maybe? Could give him Defenders and then not explain he isn't writing a MCU book but the original team.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nobody cares about the new Spider-Man Cartoon xD The teaser makes me still super uncomfortable.

Bendis would be fine on FF but Slott would be great based on his I'm with Stupid mini and his Silver Surfer
I didnt knew that I wanted a FF book by Slott. His Spidey & Torch book was 5/5 Birdie-Hypes.

Levito

Banned
So I don't read comics often, but I just picked up Marvel's Darth Vader volume 1 because Rogue One got me in the mood for it. I like it a lot!

Question for all of you: Are the other Marvel Star Wars endeavors worth checking out?

Sandfox

Dan Slott is the guy I've wanted on Fantastic Four for a long time.

Is Wasp going to be part of the Scholastic thing? Aka the smartest thing Marvel has ever done?
It has a STEM focus so I would imagine the trades will at least.
Champions #1 had 100-200K copies sent to them IIRC the pre-order numbers by shops for variant covers etc correctly(yes, Schol got their own variant cover).

Yep:
They didn't pick up #2 going by numbers.
Comichron doesn't track scholastic so we don't have those numbers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I don't read comics often, but I just picked up Marvel's Darth Vader volume 1 because Rogue One got me in the mood for it. I like it a lot!

Question for all of you: Are the other Marvel Star Wars endeavors worth checking out?
Darth Vader is IMO the best, but Star Wars itself is cool, too.

TheFlow

Banned
]I feel like Green Arrow has been absolute shit after the first arc.
[/B]
WW and Supes in that Goat teir though.

Say what! the train mini arc was fantastic! the island arc was meh outside the art. the Japan mini arc was solid.

Feels good to be back in the city and Oliver trying to get his life back.

Vibranium

Banned

Lando is excellent. Also check out Anakin And Obi-Wan, it's a great mini-series.

The main Star Wars book by Jason Aaron has a bunch of different stories in it too.

Sandfox

So according to a Scarlet Spider interview, Bagley designed multiple costumes and PAD told him to keep the smile after seeing it on one of them.

Say what! the train mini arc was fantastic! the island arc was meh outside the art. the Japan mini arc was solid.

Feels good to be back in the city and Oliver trying to get his life back.

The train arc where the train started as a secret train that was just an idea by queens father and was batstardized to take drugs from an unknown island to the states and then the next issue it's some huge publicized mass transit train that a random diplomat is killed on that they just happen to fall into. That story was stupid as hell and nonsense throughout.

PsychBat!

Banned

Besides the regular Star Wars book and Darth Vader, I've only ever read Lando and Obi-Wan & Anakin. I strongly recommend them, especially Lando. I can't comment on Chewbacca or Han Solo and I only read the first two issues of Princess Leia because I didn't have much interest at the time to keep going. Doctor Aphra is sort of the sequel book to Darth Vader and while it's only two issues in so far, it's not bad. Dialogue is solid but the art is lacking when it comes to background as in more than some panels don't have any. I'd still give it a shot if you wish to continue with the character after she's introduced in Darth Vader.

There's a Poe Dameron book out but I don't know if anyone here is reading it. I keep forgetting it exists myself.

Top Bottom