• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

PsychBat!

Banned
That would actually be pretty coo

anigif_optimized-19996-1437061055-12.gif

Train was boring!? say what. how can yah like the first arc then dislike the train.
There was no substance to it. It was a fun set piece and nothing more. Here's the thing: you sell me on a train murder mystery as the premise of your arc, then you had best make it an actual mystery, and not the first, not to mention the most obvious guy on the train. That and the whole peace talks issue felt like incredibly forced dialogue that felt like very generic "we need to help people with things" whilst trying to seem complex, and I can't stand that kind of sophomoric crap.

Oh and the Hillary Clinton cameo was so forced my physical brain actually hurts from the push. It's the most awkward inclusion of a real-life political figure in the past few years, next to Nick Fury Jr. going back in time to save baby Obama from being assassinated by Honest John, the Living Propaganda.

It was a slightly better arc than Island of Scars, if only because that was Dinah and Ollie fucking on a beach for an issue while Diggle was held hostage. Then they burned down a poppy field and we got that whole "You took our right to choose!" shit in the next one. It was literally just saying "hey Ollie, the bad guy you're after is still super bad, man. But also environmental tech and something about heroin."

TheFlow

Banned
There was no substance to it. It was a fun set piece and nothing more. Here's the thing: you sell me on a train murder mystery as the premise of your arc, then you had best make it an actual mystery, and not the first, not to mention the most obvious guy on the train. That and the whole peace talks issue felt like incredibly forced dialogue that felt like very generic "we need to help people with things" whilst trying to seem complex, and I can't stand that kind of sophomoric crap.

Oh and the Hillary Clinton cameo was so forced my physical brain actually hurts from the push. It's the most awkward inclusion of a real-life political figure in the past few years, next to Nick Fury Jr. going back in time to save baby Obama from being assassinated by Honest John, the Living Propaganda.

It was a slightly better arc than Island of Scars, if only because that was Dinah and Ollie fucking on a beach for an issue while Diggle was held hostage. Then they burned down a poppy field and we got that whole "You took our right to choose!" shit in the next one. It was literally just saying "hey Ollie, the bad guy you're after is still super bad, man. But also environmental tech and something about heroin."

that is what I have been saying. my review of it was basically "crazier than mission impossible" it served as a interlaying straight into the next plot.

I also voiced my complaints about the island resolution arc. hilary was eh.

that is what I have been saying. my review of it was basically "crazier than mission impossible" it served as a interlaying straight into the next plot.

I also voiced my complaints about the island resolution arc. hilary was eh.
The problem though is that it clearly tried to be very political. Had it just been "save this dude to keep the peace talks," it would have been fine. Instead Percy tried to shove some more political ideology soapboxing where it wasn't needed. Had the focus just been on the set piece and the action, it would have been a much better arc. And maybe some more Diggle development, given his history with Fyres and the fact that the last two arcs strictly focused on Emiko and the Dinah and Ollie relationship, respectively. A little Diggle focus wouldn't hurt.

TheFlow

Banned
The problem though is that it clearly tried to be very political. Had it just been "save this dude to keep the peace talks," it would have been fine. Instead Percy tried to shove some more political ideology soapboxing where it wasn't needed. Had the focus just been on the set piece and the action, it would have been a much better arc. And maybe some more Diggle development, given his history with Fyres and the fact that the last two arcs strictly focused on Emiko and the Dinah and Ollie relationship, respectively. A little Diggle focus wouldn't hurt.

I agree. the book is too much on the nose about the subject matter. basically feeds you. I still like the book, but the complaints about it are valid.

VanWinkle

I agree. the book is too much on the nose about the subject matter. basically feeds you. I still like the book, but the complaints about it are valid.

Yeah. A lot about the book is great, but MAN is it on the nose a lot with politics.

Owzers

Jason Bourne is the Roman Reigns of movies, except i can get through a Reigns match. I don't give up on movies often but i couldn't get past 30 minutes of Bourne. There is no reason for this movie to exist.

Yeah. A lot about the book is great, but MAN is it on the nose a lot with politics.

I don't mind it being on the nose. The problem is that Percy shoves politics in places where it doesn't belong and without a believable flow. When he drops it, it comes in long tirades and rants and lectures. Let's look at SamCap, for instance: while not subtle, it knows what to put where and how much. Yes, it too is on the nose, but it knows when to be on the nose and when to back off a bit. This gives it a degree of believability. Take the wrestling arc: no subtlety, but no forced dialogues and tirades and lectures and soapboxing of any kind. Completely character focused with some social commentary. Hell, even the Americop stuff didn't feel forced, and that was about as in your face as you'd think you'd be able to get.

SamCap remembers that it's a superhero comic, whereas I fell like Green Arrow will forget for a page or two to get in a quick blog post and then dip back into superhero stuff. It's the one big flaw against an otherwise good book.

Hell, even Black Panther, which is effectively a sociopolitical essay has a better balance than Green Arrow. And that shit is DENSE.

mreddie

Jason Bourne is the Roman Reigns of movies, except i can get through a Reigns match. I don't give up on movies often but i couldn't get past 30 minutes of Bourne. There is no reason for this movie to exist.

It's very dull, Damon isn't having fun with it. The Ex Machina girl sounds robotic and Doom sucks.

Comics are great, you know that?

Most recently caught up on Old Man Logan, Gwenpool and Flintstones. See what I mean? So great.

Now focusing on Whisperers War! Finished part 2 this evening. I can't help but love it. I'm a TWD mark.

Comics are great, you know that?

Most recently caught up on Old Man Logan, Gwenpool and Flintstones. See what I mean? So great.

Now focusing on Whisperers War! Finished part 2 this evening. I can't help but love it. I'm a TWD mark.

Old Man Logan is in my top 5 solos ongoing. That I'm reading, because I don't need y'all motherfuckers telling me that a book I'm not reading is the best one.

PsychBat!

Banned
So I finally had enough time to kill and read the first Batman vs Predator story. And goddamn, not only is this how you do a Predator in the concrete jungle story but it's a proper superhero vs iconic monster story as well. The writing didn't wanna make me shake my damn head like most current comics do from time to time. I want to write up a full review it's that good.

So I finally had enough time to kill and read the first Batman vs Predator story. And goddamn, not only is this how you do a Predator in the concrete jungle story but it's a proper superhero vs iconic monster story as well. The writing didn't wanna make me shake my damn head like most current comics do from time to time. I want to write up a full review it's that good.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

geomon

Thank you! I love this book so much.

Sandfox

Stegman's art and the coloring for Renew Your Vows #3 is crazy good. Add in how well Conway is writing the characters and you have a really good book.

PM&IF and All-New Wolverine both made good progress.
It's Gambit time!

I forgot that Duggan wrote that Infinity Gauntlet book for Secret Wars. Just another reason why it's good to have him on Guardians.

If this stretch of announcements keeps up I wonder if we're going to get books spinning out of Monsters Unleashed soon.
We already got Man-Thing announced.

DC is actually promoting the Rebirth trades!

Veelk

Banned
Comics gaf, recommend me which Rebirth storyline to catch up on.

I've only read Wonder Woman up to this point and All Star Batman.

I want to read all the superman stuff and Batman stuff, but let me know if any of them are shit and not worth my time.

What about other books. Blue Beetle any good? Cyborg? Superwoman? Supergirl? Green Arrow? Trinity? Anything I'm not listing?

Dalek

I want to read all the superman stuff and Batman stuff, but let me know if any of them are shit and not worth my time.

What about other books. Blue Beetle any good? Cyborg? Superwoman? Supergirl? Green Arrow? Trinity? Anything I'm not listing?

Detective Comics and Superman.

Roman

I second Detective and Superman. Trinity #1 was also pretty good but I haven't been following it beyond that.

You're already reading Wonder Woman, so that's that. Depending on your tastes you might also like Green Arrow, Deathstroke and/or Hal Jordan. Flash is okay.

Is anyone still getting New Super-Man? It's been trailing into cancellation territory.

Ross61

Nightwing, Superwoman, Supergirl, New Superwoman, Green Arrow, Flash, Deathstroke, Aquaman, Titans, Teen Titans, and some people of Red Hood and the Outlaws and Batgirls/Birds of Prey and I personally like Suicide Squad.

kmfdmpig

Superman >>> Action Comics
Detective Comics >>> Batman
Nightwing is passably good, but not great.
Superwoman started strong, but I'm losing interest.
Supergirl's new series looks good, but the main one is just OK.
Blue Beetle is not very good (and I'm a Giffen fan).
Trinity is solid.
Green Arrow is solid.
Aquaman is surprisingly solid, although it started off poor.
New Super-Man is good.

Guys....I think Waller is an alien in this weeks Suicide Squad. Or something is seriously seriously wrong.

nshPhhR.jpg

Give Red Hood and the Outlaws and New Super-Man a try. They've probably been my favorite overall Rebirth books for the good mix of comedy and fun.

Everyone has their pet books at this point. Just make sure you read Superman.

How is it? It's kind of not the sensation it started out as. I barely see anyone mention it, even though the reviews have been great throughout.

It's good. I'm not pulling a lot of Rebirth anymore and New Super-Man has scraped through.

Top Bottom