• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

ElNarez

Banned
so Wonder Woman #14 finally adresses the big question from way earlier, namely
why the fuck Gail Simone didn't have a shop named after her in that one spread of that shopping gallery that had literally every other prominent Wonder Woman creator.

TheFlow

Banned
Guys....I think Waller is an alien in this weeks Suicide Squad. Or something is seriously seriously wrong.

nshPhhR.jpg

Give Red Hood and the Outlaws and New Super-Man a try. They've probably been my favorite overall Rebirth books for the good mix of comedy and fun.
This two are in my top 5 easily

so Wonder Woman #14 finally adresses the big question from way earlier, namely
why the fuck Gail Simone didn't have a shop named after her in that one spread of that shopping gallery that had literally every other prominent Wonder Woman creator.
Wasn't just a mistake like Nicola Scott said?

JLvsSS/Suicide Squad:
Guessing Saturn Girl will be part of Snyder's event since she's in Arkham right now and Emerald Empress is trying to find her. Maybe the LoSH book will actually come out this Fall already?

tim1138

JLvsSS/Suicide Squad:
Guessing Saturn Girl will be part of Snyder's event since she's in Arkham right now and Emerald Empress is trying to find her. Maybe the LoSH book will actually come out this Fall already?

Re: your spoiler

the editorial note said Supes was gonna address the Saturn Girl stuff in Supergirl though. I think the Snyder thing is gonna be the 3 Jokers story

So, God Country is out today. I've not read it, but Donny Cates is one of those hidden gem types and he's been under the radar for awhile with a few books at Dark Horse and Heavy Metal (Buzzkill, Ghost Fleet, The Paybacks). Those were all fantastic, especially Paybacks, but at least the last two were cancelled way ahead of the planned run. That said, I am happy that Cates is putting this new book out on Image, because I think it opens up a lot more avenues for attention and it looks like it would appeal to people who like Jason Aaron's Image stuff.

I've not read God Country yet, but what to expect is something that is very action-heavy and has a lot of imaginative and original ideas or really fresh takes on tired ideas, but also doesn't take itself too seriously. He does a lot of tongue-in-cheek type humor in his work and some really overtly goofy things. Also, reviews seem to be saying it's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, if you've got an extra $4 to spare, it is almost certainly worth checking out. I'm hoping this one doesn't end up flying under the radar like his other stuff.

oh also, he's working with some of the guys he's worked with before, so the art is going to be ace.

Preview

Catching up on some Marvel:

Champions 4

I definitely like this one more than I liked 3. I felt like they were a little quick to react in this issue which should make sense because they're dumb teens. But to me they seem to act exactly opposite of how they act in CWII.

Deadpool the Duck

I love Deadpool and I love Howard, I should love this....but I wasn't completely feeling it. The talk of the movies and the talk of whose story it was just came off as really forced for me. I dunno, I'm going to give it one more try, but I was surprised it didn't really vibe with me.

Moon Knight

I look forward to reading this entire book a second time in trade. I absolutely love the flow of it in it's normal run but I feel like it will be something special in a collection. That panel of Konshu over top of a young Marc was so damn good and creepy. That panel was so great.

Nova 2 or 3?

I'm surprised how much I like this with how very little I know about any rendition of Nova. All I even know of Sam is from Avengers and Champions. So far I'm just really up on this book.

This weeks DC:

Deathstroke

I fucking loved this issue. I was kind of getting tired of getting more questions without any answers and this issue finally gave us some answers and I loved what we got. The issue flowed perfectly on it's own and was all around great. Can't say enough how much I loved this issue. The Rose part I thought felt a little out of place though with the rest of the book. Didn't hinder my enjoyment though.
The idea of them getting Wilson on the money he had gotten extra from Red Lion earlier in the run was just fantastic. I really loved how that all came together.

That's Mr Peanut.

I was reminded of Krang, because for some reason I remember Krang's "body" having a long neck, but I guess it just has one solid head neck thing...

Btw, for people who won't buy the issue, Lobo's reason for getting into this mess is great.

There is also a glimpse of what happened to New 52 Lobo in this weeks Hal and GLC that kind of confirms these are two different Lobo's.

What I'm talking about:
JcfmjeF.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
Hey, you should really check out today's Vixen one-shot because it is good as hell and also DC needs to give Jamal Campbell a dumptruck full of money right now because that's a goddamn one-in-a-million superstar in the making right there.

TheFlow

Banned
Hey, you should really check out today's Vixen one-shot because it is good as hell and also DC needs to give Jamal Campbell a dumptruck full of money right now because that's a goddamn one-in-a-million superstar in the making right there.

it looks amazing. I actually bought it. so I hope your happy

Malyse

If I don't like it I know who to complain to.

Ross61

Isn't he still tied up with Prowler?

But yeah, really looking forward to this issue and JLA in general.

Comics gaf, recommend me which Rebirth storyline to catch up on.

I've only read Wonder Woman up to this point and All Star Batman.

I want to read all the superman stuff and Batman stuff, but let me know if any of them are shit and not worth my time.

What about other books. Blue Beetle any good? Cyborg? Superwoman? Supergirl? Green Arrow? Trinity? Anything I'm not listing?
I'll just recommend all the books I'm pulling because I like all of them:
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Nightwing
Superman
Supergirl
Green Arrow
Detective Comics
Titans

Catching up on some Marvel:

Champions 4

I definitely like this one more than I liked 3. I felt like they were a little quick to react in this issue which should make sense because they're dumb teens. But to me they seem to act exactly opposite of how they act in CWII.
They
got shot out of the sky by a rocket. Worked together as a survival group. Largely talked things out even though a couple shots here and there were taken. Then they got taken prisoner and were going to be killed anyways.
At what point were they "a little quick" to react and behaving like dumb teens? If anything they did extremely well, if a little childish at times, but that's to be expected when you have an extremely insecure Nova and a massively egotistical Hulk.

Comics gaf, recommend me which Rebirth storyline to catch up on.

I've only read Wonder Woman up to this point and All Star Batman.

I want to read all the superman stuff and Batman stuff, but let me know if any of them are shit and not worth my time.

What about other books. Blue Beetle any good? Cyborg? Superwoman? Supergirl? Green Arrow? Trinity? Anything I'm not listing?

Superman and Detective Comics are the strongest books of those respective lines. I can't bang with Action Comics and Batman is uneven.

The rest of Rebirth? Green Arrow, Nightwing, Teen Titans, Titans, Deathstroke, and Red Hood are all good. Green Lanterns and New Super-Man are on the bubble for me. Decent, not great.

They
got shot out of the sky by a rocket. Worked together as a survival group. Largely talked things out even though a couple shots here and there were taken. Then they got taken prisoner and were going to be killed anyways.
At what point were they "a little quick" to react and behaving like dumb teens? If anything they did extremely well, if a little childish at times, but that's to be expected when you have an extremely insecure Nova and a massively egotistical Hulk.

I'm not really faulting it a ton because of that, I just thought the way they reacted once taken prisoner seemed counteractive to them defaulting to Marvel for leadership. I'm fine with how the story went I could have just also seen them furthering the peace aspect by going with them and wanting to sort it out civilly if possible. I think I would have just liked it a little more if they were just prisoner a little bit longer before defaulting to Kamala and her suggesting they break out. Those two things combined just kind of bugged me. This could have easily been done under Scott or Cho's leadership, but them going to Kamala and then doing this comes off weird to me.

I'm not really faulting it a ton because of that, I just thought the way they reacted once taken prisoner seemed counteractive to them defaulting to Marvel for leadership. I'm fine with how the story went I could have just also seen them furthering the peace aspect by going with them and wanting to sort it out civilly if possible. I think I would have just liked it a little more if they were just prisoner a little bit longer before defaulting to Kamala and her suggesting they break out. Those two things combined just kind of bugged me. This could have easily been done under Scott or Cho's leadership, but them going to Kamala and then doing this comes off weird to me.
My counterpoint is that Viv and Nova had already begun go break out, therefore defaulting to Kamala after the plan was initiated doesn't change anything, and they've been defaulting to Kamala as is. Even Scott.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So, God Country is out today. I've not read it, but Donny Cates is one of those hidden gem types and he's been under the radar for awhile with a few books at Dark Horse and Heavy Metal (Buzzkill, Ghost Fleet, The Paybacks). Those were all fantastic, especially Paybacks, but at least the last two were cancelled way ahead of the planned run. That said, I am happy that Cates is putting this new book out on Image, because I think it opens up a lot more avenues for attention and it looks like it would appeal to people who like Jason Aaron's Image stuff.

I've not read God Country yet, but what to expect is something that is very action-heavy and has a lot of imaginative and original ideas or really fresh takes on tired ideas, but also doesn't take itself too seriously. He does a lot of tongue-in-cheek type humor in his work and some really overtly goofy things. Also, reviews seem to be saying it's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, if you've got an extra $4 to spare, it is almost certainly worth checking out. I'm hoping this one doesn't end up flying under the radar like his other stuff.

oh also, he's working with some of the guys he's worked with before, so the art is going to be ace.

Preview

Image books are for nerds!

My counterpoint is that Viv and Nova had already begun go break out, therefore defaulting to Kamala after the plan was initiated doesn't change anything, and they've been defaulting to Kamala as is. Even Scott.

I guess the difference is coming from our image of the book. I went in expecting something different and although I liked this issue more than the last, it still has a different feel than I had expected coming in.

Nightwing #11
I liked this issue. The Run-Offs is a neat idea and provides a good cast of potential characters for the book. And it makes sense that this would be a thing, since Blüdhaven isn't too far from Gotham and basically out of the Bat family's territory. I have an issue with this, though: by having a lot of the characters already be from Gotham, Blüdhaven loses a lot of its own agency as a location. It still locks Dick in as this "second-hand Batman" that it felt like Higgins was writing in his run. It bums me out, and this storyline with him "not knowing who he is" bothers me. It feels like I've seen this twice already, and I didn't enjoy it the last time. Solid issue all around, aside from my personal hang-ups.

Nightwing #12
Some good action this issue, but I'll be damned if some of this dialogue felt super forced. Outside of that it was pretty good, hitting on all the points I needed it to. Though I do hope that Blüdhaven isn't just an arc and an actual place to stay for Nightwing. I need some slow-burn storylines in at least one of the books I'm reading. We've seen the ad campaign manager being shady and a touch of what the police are like, leaving room for some most-definitely corrupt police.

Still a good book.
I guess the difference is coming from our image of the book. I went in expecting something different and although I liked this issue more than the last, it still has a different feel than I had expected coming in.
What was your expectation?

Preview
You've saved me some time today as I was gonna pimp this comic out haha

I met Cates a couple weeks ago. He's an Austinite. I'm a mark for Austinite creators but this book sounds really cool anyway. I'm gonna go pick this up today.

TheFlow

Banned
So Marvel Is stopping the digital code sale starting in Feb.

meaning I am going to have to trade/sale wait the stuff I am iffy on.

gotta limit my pull to 10-12 marvel books a month.

so if you guys see me saying drop in some of my reviews it not because the book is bad, just not worth 4 dollars to me. js.

What was your expectation?

The way they left the Avengers team and the way they were acting around CW II I was thinking they would be a more small time "real issues" type of hero team that was trying to be more of an inspiration of how Heroes should be and trying to get the people back on their side. In the last two issues we've had them deal with terrorists overseas and then this. I expected them to deal with more socially charged issues with how the first issue went but these last two issues seemed to go way more grand scope than I expected. The most recent issue just kind of goes counter to that first feeling I had and then on top of it the issues I had said previously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating it, it's just all coming off to me a little weird because I can't help having these expectations I came in with.

The way they left the Avengers team and the way they were acting around CW II I was thinking they would be a more small time "real issues" type of hero team that was trying to be more of an inspiration of how Heroes should be and trying to get the people back on their side. In the last two issues we've had them deal with terrorists overseas and then this. I expected them to deal with more socially charged issues with how the first issue went but these last two issues seemed to go way more grand scope than I expected. The most recent issue just kind of goes counter to that first feeling I had and then on top of it the issues I had said previously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating it, it's just all coming off to me a little weird because I can't help having these expectations I came in with.

I can understand that, but dealing with the terrorists was very heavy on the oppression of women in the middle east. Is that not an important social issue? Right now they are bonding, finding their voice as a team and basically going to where they're needed. They're a small time Avengers squad, and I think they've been executing that idea well. I mean, you couldn't have expected some non-overseas traveling for an Avengers team, especially one with an X-Man and a Nova on it. I can understand the feeling, but I don't think it's lost at all.

Owzers

what's worse:

Trump team lying about what CNN reported in order to shun them.

Marvel lying in their solicits about people calling Carol the greatest.

I can understand that, but dealing with the terrorists was very heavy on the oppression of women in the middle east. Is that not an important social issue? Right now they are bonding, finding their voice as a team and basically going to where they're needed. They're a small time Avengers squad, and I think they've been executing that idea well. I mean, you couldn't have expected some non-overseas traveling for an Avengers team, especially one with an X-Man and a Nova on it. I can understand the feeling, but I don't think it's lost at all.

Neh, I get completely what it's doing. Just feels a little more direct and far reaching than I initially thought.

what's worse:

Trump team lying about what CNN reported in order to shun them.

Marvel lying in their solicits about people calling Carol the greatest.

Fuck those people.

Top Bottom