• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Man, what the fuck is with people loving something and then a few months down the road saying it was terrible.

Force Awakens, case in point.

That always drives me crazy too.

It's like after a few weeks someone flips a switch and then all of the posts about how the thing that a lot of people likes has actually been garbage all along and then people jump on the hate bandwagon.

Same thing happened over the summer with Stranger Things.

Read Translucid.
Translucid-Trade-Paperback.jpg
It's fantastic.

Also:

GAMEPROFF

Banned

It's like after a few weeks someone flips a switch and then all of the posts about how the thing that a lot of people likes has actually been garbage all along and then people jump on the hate bandwagon.

I dont bother discuss with these people, espescially its laughable nitpicking all the time.

Sandfox

For some it's just that their early opinions were based on the hype of whatever media and their opinions change after thinking about it and seeing the arguments others are making.

tim1138

Can someone recommend some recent comics that are self contained? I dont read a lot of comics because I feel like they rely on prior information from lots of past books

The Omega Men
Nameless

Looks like Porter is off Scooby Doo Apocalypse and being replaced by Chris Batista. I don't read SDA but its still good to see. Batista is too talented to not have regular comics work.

Porter needs to be back on big cape books, so that works for me.

Anything

The one with the cover that has him and his family?

I'm going to assume you want stuff that's finished, too...

-Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is totally self-contained and lots of fun
-The Vision is a great rec
-House of Penance is a mini, it's really good if you like weird and crazy shit
-Lake of Fire is the Crusades meets Aliens. It rules. I don't think the trade is out yet though
-If you're looking for something meaty, check out Rachel Rising. It finished last year. Amazing book
-Weavers is another mini about a mob that uses these crazy spider demon things to gain powers. Another weird, rad book

tim1138

I'm going to assume you want stuff that's finished, too...

-Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is totally self-contained and lots of fun
-The Vision is a great rec
-House of Penance is a mini, it's really good if you like weird and crazy shit
-Lake of Fire is the Crusades meets Aliens. It rules. I don't think the trade is out yet though
-If you're looking for something meaty, check out Rachel Rising. It finished last year. Amazing book
-Weavers is another mini about a mob that uses these crazy spider demon things to gain powers. Another weird, rad book

Another Lake of Fire fan! Nice!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
For some it's just that their early opinions were based on the hype of whatever media and their opinions change after thinking about it and seeing the arguments others are making.

That bugs me too. Form your own opinions! Stand by them! If you haven't formed an opinion yet, then say so!

I need to see Rogue One again, because I didn't understand half of the main characters all that well.

I think La La Land will be as forgotten as The Artist 3 years from now.

Moonlight would have been better with more Mahershala Ali.

See, it's easy.

Owzers

My opinion of a movie is finalized when I think about rewatching it and not really wanting to because of all the terrible parts.

Regarding Ether, I don't buy books that have two issues on sale, might as well wait until the next sale and see if people are still hyping it or if it's the force awakens.

Doesn't matter. I'm using the broadest possible brush, here.

That bugs me too. Form your own opinions! Stand by them! If you haven't formed an opinion yet, then say so!

I need to see Rogue One again, because I didn't understand half of the main characters all that well.

I think La La Land will be as forgotten as The Artist 3 years from now.

Moonlight would have been better with more Mahershala Ali.

See, it's easy.

The kinds of things we talk about, the people consuming early are usually the ones pre-disposed to like the content. If people are skeptical about something, they are going to wait for reviews, sales or dropped ticket prices in week 3. I don't see any reason to feel surprised about seeing a trend like this?

The kinds of things we talk about, the people consuming early are usually the ones pre-disposed to like the content. If people are skeptical about something, they are going to wait for reviews, sales or dropped ticket prices in week 3. I don't see any reason to feel surprised about seeing a trend like this?

Right. And it's also true that it's easier to critically examine something once the dust has settled.

Occasionally I will revisit the reviews and impressions I post here, and I find it interesting how often my opinion of a story has changed over time, for better or worse.

edit: In fact! This is why I found your question yesterday about books we're pulling now that we consider above reproach (or however you phrased it) to be so tricky. I need a little distance between me and the last panel before I'm comfortable applying that label.

Can someone recommend some recent comics that are self contained? I dont read a lot of comics because I feel like they rely on prior information from lots of past books
5000KM Per Second was one of my favorite graphic novels last year. It's a single book and it's a very good read. I can't recommend it enough.

Occasionally I will revisit the reviews and impressions I post here, and I find it interesting how often my opinion of a story has changed over time, for better or worse.

The novelty is always bound to wear off. Your opinion now may be different than what it was on release day, but does that detract from how much you initially enjoyed it?

I have to hold off on Ether #2 because I want the "oh my GOD I've been saying this for THREE MONTHS" reaction from Birdie when I do read it.

I'll probably read it this weekend

The novelty is always bound to wear off. Your opinion now may be different than what it was on release day, but does that detract from how much you initially enjoyed it?

Your first line sounds convincing, but sometimes I find I now hold stories in higher esteem than when they were first published, not that I think less of them. It varies.

And no, of course it doesn't, either way. Hell, that's why I buy singles almost exclusively.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

It's fair that people are pre-disposed to like things. I'm definitely pre-disposed to like things. What bugs me is when someone who likes something then sees a bunch of stories and reports about how that thing they like isn't amazing and then they change their minds.

If they've revisited the book or show or movie on their own and realized that they feel differently about it now, that's completely normal and good, but if the only reason their opinion changed is because they don't want to be the guy that likes the thing that other people don't anymore that drives me crazy.

It's ok to like things that other people don't like. Hell, there are people on here that like Man of Steel. And more power to them.

Owzers

I still find Wonder Woman to be a drab book that I can't drop, on to issue 11. If I drop it i might as well stop buying print comics, I'd be down to 7 in my next dcbs order, plus I want a figure based on Scott's art.

I still find Wonder Woman to be a drab book that I can't drop, on to issue 11.

Yeah hate to say it but I feel the same way. I would have dropped it already but I like the "Year One" story a lot and I'm interested to see how it all converges. The other half of it, I could do without.

...and now I'm sad Legend of Wonder Woman is dead for the fiftieth time

frye

I thought it was great.

I suspect that it was also responsible for a fair amount of the success Rebirth in general has had.

What specifically didn't work for you? Was it trying to cover too much ground and not really focusing on any particular character enough?

my dislike of rebirth comes from the same place as the people who liked it, it's just i found its attempts to frame the last x years of DC comics as an aberration to be disingenuous and empty rather than inspiring and hopeful. and the way it puts "the bad years" on the back of Moore/Watchmen (if not textually then certainly metatextually) is craven nonsense

the Wanted movie was worth it just for Morgan Freeman saying "kill THIS mothafucka here"

and DC Rebirth was ill-conceived from the minute Geoff "dismemberment and gratuitous sexuality is E D G Y" Johns was the nigga who tried to brush all the shit under rug. Bad enough ya'll had to the audacity to make Before Watchmen, now you gotta bring them into your 400th fuckin' reboot cuz you can never get your universe right.

Top Bottom