• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

TheFlow

Banned
the Wanted movie was worth it just for Morgan Freeman saying "kill THIS mothafucka here"

and DC Rebirth was ill-conceived from the minute Geoff "dismemberment and gratuitous sexuality is E D G Y" Johns was the nigga who tried to brush all the shit under rug. Bad enough ya'll had to the audacity to make Before Watchmen, now you gotta bring them into your 400th fuckin' reboot cuz you can never get your universe right.

image.php

Owzers

I don't have any enjoyment from reading comics monthly, maybe in some cases it's tolerable, but not enjoyable, like instead of pausing a movie to play hearthstone you pause it for a month every ten minutes. Saga 39 and 40 were pretty good but when reading 39 I'd half forgotten what happened in the previous issue and didn't remember the one guy until I saw him again. Wonder Woman 11 is not an installment, it's a speck. While I continue to want to read new comics for hype reasons, it's an inferior experience trying to piece together the story over half a year or year.

Man, what the fuck is with people loving something and then a few months down the road saying it was terrible.

Force Awakens, case in point.

Only thing that hit me like that was Age of Ultron and that was over the course of a week, not months.

Nothing wrong with Rebirth. It kicked off a solid frame for DC Comics. It's what Johns does best.

Sandfox

My only real problem with Rebirth is that I think Wally deserves a bigger push and it made me lose a bit of respect for Batman.

TheFlow

Banned
Only thing that hit me like that was Age of Ultron and that was over the course of a week, not months.

Nothing wrong with Rebirth. It kicked off a solid frame for DC Comics. It's what Johns does best.

that movie did not sit right with me. I was in the theatre like did this guy copy the same fight scene from Avengers 1.

My only real problem with Rebirth is that I think Wally deserves a bigger push and it made me lose a bit of respect for Batman.
Bruh its a comic. gotta fault the writer for that.

kmfdmpig

Can someone recommend some recent comics that are self contained? I dont read a lot of comics because I feel like they rely on prior information from lots of past books

It started about 8 years ago, but Irredeemable is nicely self-contained. There is one other series (Incorruptible) that somewhat crosses over with it, but Irredeemable can be read on its own. Like Astro City, the more you know about comic book conventions and tropes the more you'll enjoy it, but the quality is high enough that either way it will be a solid read.

is there anything everybody hated then a bunch of people said "um actually its good"

DCEU dont count cuz dudes like ElNarez was day one defending Leto's Joker and his "DAMAGED" forehead tattoo

kmfdmpig

my dislike of rebirth comes from the same place as the people who liked it, it's just i found its attempts to frame the last x years of DC comics as an aberration to be disingenuous and empty rather than inspiring and hopeful. and the way it puts "the bad years" on the back of Moore/Watchmen (if not textually then certainly metatextually) is craven nonsense

I can see that. It was not very subtle in its dismissal of the Nu52 and its re-embrace of what came before. That didn't bother me as I preferred DC prior to Nu52 for the most part. Personally, I didn't find it to be putting blame on Moore/Watchmen as much as others did. I adore Watchmen and didn't have an issue with how it was used, but certainly understand how others might.

is there anything everybody hated then a bunch of people said "um actually its good"

DCEU dont count cuz dudes like ElNarez was day one defending Leto's Joker and his "DAMAGED" forehead tattoo

Generally that happens when people hate the idea of a character or book, before jumping onboard.

Sam Nova is a good example. The initial response to the Hulk (She-Hulk) book was also quite negative.

people got over Sam Nova when Dick Ryder came back

now if I told you they brought Bucky Barnes back from the dead as a brainwashed assassin for the soviet union, you'd probably think that was the dumbest fuckin' idea in the world

BUT

it was dope

UlQ8vzv.gif

TheFlow

Banned

Red Hood Rebirth.

Doom Patrol #1

Sam Nova ANAD

Future Quest titles

Inhumans vs X-men

Cage Mini series

at the top of my head here.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Inhumans vs X-men is only good because we're used to it being so, so shit.

It could be poor, but in comparison to the X-Books previously? It's a masterpiece.

But tbf, its pretty good

I was thinking more of something people experienced, thought it was wack, and then like some time down the line people came back like "no this is Good actually". Now something you thought was gonna be wack but on day one you knew it wasn't.

like how Blade Runner flopped back in 1981 but now its a rightly hailed, highly influential masterpiece

Hagi

I was thinking more of something people experienced, thought it was wack, and then like some time down the line people came back like "no this is Good actually". Now something you thought was gonna be wack but on day one you knew it wasn't.

like how Blade Runner flopped back in 1981 but now its a rightly hailed, highly influential masterpiece

Flashpoint? I thought it was pretty crap at the time but it seems to be well regarded.

frye

I know you hate it still but DKSA had a moment in the sun there

Oh I've got one. Final Crisis.

I feel with that there were always vocal defenders and there are still a lot of vocal haters now

Zombieland is super overrated and boring. I don't understand the cult following it has.

VanWinkle

Small haul came in today. $23 shipped for all of this. Superman Doomed was the only one I wasn't necessarily needing, since I know reception is pretty mixed on it, but I do want some Superman N52 content and a $50 book for $5 is hard to say no to.

tvqtHjy.jpg

it probably cant happen in comics since everything that was printed in order for 20+ pages gets an 8/10 nowadays, so what can even be redeemed as good when everything is good apparently

I feel with that there were always vocal defenders and there are still a lot of vocal haters now

True, but I think a change in reputation exactly like that is about as close as you can get. For there to be a shift like JC is talking about, there are always going to be a good number of people who saw why it was good before anyone else, and there are always going to be a good number of people who always dislike it. Revisiting something you disliked is a low reward proposition so people usually don't even bother with another take

Like I may have made a bad joke about it, but I don't understand why we are even entertaining the notion that the Rebirth issue is now widely hated on comicgaf or that people are flip-flopping. Only a few people have even said anything bad about it and it seems to me like most of those people either never really commented on it or have always disliked it. In truth these shifts are uncommon either way

What does happen, though, is the number of people who aren't predisposed to like something are exposed to things due to their prominence and accolades. Those people aren't as likely to enjoy it so the negative reception does increase over time for pretty much everything that ever was, with rare exceptions

Sandfox

that movie did not sit right with me. I was in the theatre like did this guy copy the same fight scene from Avengers 1.

Bruh its a comic. gotta fault the writer for that.

I blame Johns for both, though some of it comes from the current ongoings as well.

Oh God, Final Crisis read like a Marvel event. So full of promise for the first few issues, then it jumped the shark by the end.

Final Crisis definitely has problems (cough Mandrak cough), but I would argue that it's sort of the opposite issue that most Marvel events have. There's too much stuff happening, and a lot of it is batshit crazy. Marvel events tend to drag on, stretching maybe 2-3 issues of premise into a line-wide 6+, a problem that's just exacerbated by the delays.

(Obviously excepting Secret Wars here)

Small haul came in today. $23 shipped for all of this. Superman Doomed was the only one I wasn't necessarily needing, since I know reception is pretty mixed on it, but I do want some Superman N52 content and a $50 book for $5 is hard to say no to.

tvqtHjy.jpg

Remind me, you read American Alien yet?

kmfdmpig

True, but I think a change in reputation exactly like that is about as close as you can get. For there to be a shift like JC is talking about, there are always going to be a good number of people who saw why it was good before anyone else, and there are always going to be a good number of people who always dislike it. Revisiting something you disliked is a low reward proposition so people usually don't even bother with another take

Like I may have made a bad joke about it, but I don't understand why we are even entertaining the notion that the Rebirth issue is now widely hated on comicgaf or that people are flip-flopping. Only a few people have even said anything bad about it and it seems to me like most of those people either never really commented on it or have always disliked it. In truth these shifts are uncommon either way

Well said. I think with comics it's fairly rare to change opinions on singular issues/books over time. I know that for me I only reread certain things (Watchmen, JLI, DKR, Astro City, etc...) and that means that I'm only rereading what I love, which is unlikely to change. Without rereading books that I enjoyed or disliked there is no real chance that I'll chance my opinions on them. With movies I find it a bit more common that I'll change my views. The callbacks that seemed like cute additions to The Force Awakens the first time seemed fairly forced and overdone the second time, for example.

So I just realized that the S shield on the Superwoman comic covers is right at the end of the title spelling Superwomans. So
Lois is coming back
then right? Pleeeeeesssssee

O7lp2pT.png

VanWinkle

Final Crisis definitely has problems (cough Mandrak cough), but I would argue that it's sort of the opposite issue that most Marvel events have. There's too much stuff happening, and a lot of it is batshit crazy. Marvel events tend to drag on, stretching maybe 2-3 issues of premise into a line-wide 6+, a problem that's just exacerbated by the delays.

(Obviously excepting Secret Wars here)

Remind me, you read American Alien yet?

Yes I did! Loved it, too. Only other N52-era Superman stuff I have is Superman Men of Tomorrow (Geoff Johns) and Adventures of Superman Vol 1.

Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers is still a great series.

SSoV was so good.

Top Bottom