• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

I feel like I'm getting Rorschach'd. Is there a shape in his cape or is it just epic-ly wind battered?

detective-comics-587-664x1024.jpg

Do you guys also consider the 1980s the best decade for Batman comics?

This is basically just a fact right

Edit: very interested to see if anyone considers it the worst, actually

Nobody draws Bats cape like Breyfogle did, he was the best

It really takes a life of his own, in a way that I dont think any other popular artist ever did. Its such a dramatic flourish, a cape, and he can make it seem majestic or terrifying or just to emphasis movement. 90% of the time you dont even think about Batman having a cape, but its such a huge part of his visual identity as this pulp comic hero for Breyfogle.

cm_batman80s.gif

Image4wdark42rr.jpg

dhuncfrp6dtrohw0udyd.png

tim1138

It really takes a life of his own, in a way that I dont think any other popular artist ever did. Its such a dramatic flourish, a cape, and he can make it seem majestic or terrifying or just to emphasis movement. 90% of the time you dont even think about Batman having a cape, but its such a huge part of his visual identity as this pulp comic hero for Breyfogle.

cm_batman80s.gif

Image4wdark42rr.jpg

dhuncfrp6dtrohw0udyd.png

His draws the cape as a mix of a flame and a living thing, it's always swirling in motion, and perfectly framing the the scene. McFarlane did a total swipe job when he designed Spawn and made the cape an actual living entity.

I would love to see a hand drawn animated Batman movie based on Breyfogle's style.

kmfdmpig

Did anyone else catch the artist's major mistake on the second to last page of Birds of Prey? The wrong character refers to herself as Oracle.

Owzers

I tried to paint the area under Harley's hair that exists because her hair piece is set too low so there is extra hat showing. I got one small spot covered and decided to continue, painted her neck a little by accident, tried to clean that up but spread the paint across her entire left side of the face, actually cleaned that up with some paint panic, then covered most of the area.

Didn't fix the real problem though but I'm sure it won't bother me anymore.

I tried to paint the area under Harley's hair that exists because her hair piece is set too low so there is extra hat showing. I got one small spot covered and decided to continue, painted her neck a little by accident, tried to clean that up but spread the paint across her entire left side of the face, actually cleaned that up with some paint panic, then covered most of the area.

Didn't fix the real problem though but I'm sure it won't bother me anymore.

You should really stop trying to paint things yourself. You can just as easily request a replacement from wherever you bought it from.

Owzers

You should really stop trying to paint things yourself. You can just as easily request a replacement from wherever you bought it from.
I tried that with the Timm Harley and ended up returning three and not having one, I think I can live with this one, maybe. How much can you paint a statue and still exchange?

I tried that with the Timm Harley and ended up returning three and not having one, I think I can live with this one, maybe. How much can you paint a statue and still exchange?

...Probably not at all. Or maybe statues just aren't for you if you can't live with an imperfect piece. You'll usually always find a problem with pieces that are mass produced. You should get into Warhammer miniatures if you really like painting things. Those don't come painted at all.

$3.99? DC right now:

You were dying to use that gif, weren't you?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well after two issues my favorite part of Motor Crush has been the Isola previews in the back. MC isn't likely to earn a sub at this point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so here's a weird question. Does MArvel own the rights to any of its Thor stuff?

I ask because I'm playing Jotun right now, which is all about norse mythilogy, and it uses all the same names, to the letter, as Marvel does.

So I imagine that Marvel doesnt own any of that shit then, which is...strange? As in, why did they use the literal norse mythology as its own and not just alter it or something?

Tizoc

lmao

The Isola previews are good. But MC is growing on me. I liked the second issue a good bit more than #1.

I'm only buying one game on the 24th. I just don't know which, yet.
Yakuza 0 offers the most for your dollars while gr2 is a decent single player experience wheras re7 is shaping to be a good horror game if that's ur thing

Phamit

All-Star Batman #6

This was my favorite Issue of All-Star so far, maybe it works so good because it's such a shitty weather outside, but I really like dark mood. Maybe I also liked it because the writing was a bit different than usual.

Overall I love the direction of the book. It feels like Snyder has a lot of fun und is experimenting a little bit on what you could do with a Batman book and so far it works for me.

so here's a weird question. Does MArvel own the rights to any of its Thor stuff?

I ask because I'm playing Jotun right now, which is all about norse mythilogy, and it uses all the same names, to the letter, as Marvel does.

So I imagine that Marvel doesnt own any of that shit then, which is...strange? As in, why did they use the literal norse mythology as its own and not just alter it or something?

They control the Marvel likenesses and specific Marvel depictions of the characters, just not the names or any traits or stories drawn from myth

The same could be said for a lot of characters, including all of the Greek mythological figures used by both Marvel and DC

Peter David just started a new book about an Oliver Twist character

kmfdmpig

They control the Marvel likenesses and specific Marvel depictions of the characters, just not the names or any traits or stories drawn from myth

The same could be said for a lot of characters, including all of the Greek mythological figures used by both Marvel and DC

Peter David just started a new book about an Oliver Twist character

Frankenstein's monster is another example of a public domain character that DC turned into a comic (a good one that had a shorter life than it deserved).

Off topicc. Haven't had a chance to read the thread since the switch announcement. Did everyone hate it? My guess is that most of you were unimpressed, judging by past nintendo discussions and what you guys want from a console.

Very pleased myself. No issues with the price, and the line-up for the 9 months of it's life looks incredible. Biggest disappointment is the direct con of having a well paced release schedule - literally nothing at launch but Zelda. That's fine for me but I really want the family to be excited when I get it so maybe considering waiting til summer to do Zelda, Splatoon, MK8 & arms as an opening salvo. My only other niggle is paid online. Not really an issue for me personally but I just can't imagine what player populations will be with this and I don't like the idea of kids hitting a pay wall when they go to trade pokemon, or hang out on the island in animal crossing. Seems very against the type of experience they like to deliver for the broader age ranges. Otherwise, super pleased, I know I'll get my money's worth in enjoyment from just this year's games alone.

$3.99? DC right now:

mIbe7Ag.gif

Sharing the joy.

Off topicc. Haven't had a chance to read the thread since the switch announcement. Did everyone hate it? My guess is that most of you were unimpressed, judging by past nintendo discussions and what you guys want from a console.

I was really hoping they'd sell me on it, but £280 for the console seems too pricey to me. Especially when you take other controllers (£70!?!) and games into account. The launch lineup is also more lackluster than I was expecting. Zelda looks fantastic and Super Mario Odyssey looks like a must-buy but I think I'll just wait for now. I'd only be buying it for Zelda and that's £300+ already.

Very pleased myself. No issues with the price, and the line-up for the 9 months of it's life looks incredible. Biggest disappointment is the direct con of having a well paced release schedule - literally nothing at launch but Zelda. That's fine for me but I really want the family to be excited when I get it so maybe considering waiting til summer to do Zelda, Splatoon, MK8 & arms as an opening salvo. My only other niggle is paid online. Not really an issue for me personally but I just can't imagine what player populations will be with this and I don't like the idea of kids hitting a pay wall when they go to trade pokemon, or hang out on the island in animal crossing. Seems very against the type of experience they like to deliver for the broader age ranges. Otherwise, super pleased, I know I'll get my money's worth in enjoyment from just this year's games alone.

I liked the Zelda and Mario games. I'll probably pick one up sometime this year.

VanWinkle

Bro I am so mad about it. But I don't want to talk about it anymore. I'll just say I went from having multiple tabs open ready to preorder shortly before the conference started, so full of hype, $350 set aside in my budget, to completely foregoing a preorder even though I literally have the opportunity to preorder at work right now. I may buy one a year or so down the line, but I am beyond disappointed, my friend.

I'll buy Zelda for Wii U in March. Then the Switch in Nov/Dec holiday bundle with GOTY Super Mario Odyssey. Hopefully at that point they announced some video games.

arkon

I had the same reaction as with the Wii U which was ultimately disappointment. I wanted Nintendo to show me things might be different this time round but I didn't see it. That's not to say things won't get better but I've not been given reasons to be anything but skeptical at this point. That's worrying given we're 2 months out from launch.

I don't doubt the games they did show like Mario and Zelda but the first party stuff has never been the issue. Third party wise... seems like business as usual. Price is a bit high for my liking and I see the battery life being an issue, I'll either fall prey to the hype and get one around the launch of Mario or wait for the revision with improved battery life etc.

I should say that I'm not in the early adopter crowd any more. I've still not jumped on board with the current generation of consoles for example so it probably wasn't going to happen this time either. Well, maybe if it was £199 II would have jumped at that.

shingi70

Banned
Still excited to get one day one because I only buy Nintendo systems for First party, Japanese third party, and indies.

I'm still surprise so many people though Nintendo was going to compete on a major scale after that first video last October. When we found out that it was indeed a Hybrid I already knew it was never going to be up most of Gafs alley.

I just find it funny how many people on this site in particular were disappointed but had no problems dropping $400 on PSVR .

tim1138

I was pretty disappointed with the reveal. It seems like they're rushing it to market and would have been better served waiting to release it in the fall when they had 1st party games ready that weren't ports and fully functional online capabilities. The paid online is annoying, but the market has shown they'll accept that, so whatever. Their incentive for paying for online is a joke though, MS and Sony give you multiple games per month, Nintendo will let you borrow a NES or SNES game that you can't play unless you buy it after the month is up. I'm sure Splatoon and Mario will be amazing, but maybe they should have waited until those games were closer to release to launch.

Domu: What a ride! The whole second part of the book creeped me out so much, I had to stop reading before I went to sleep and finish it this morning.
The lack of build up/foreshadowing of some of the gruesome deaths and the pace of the second half works so well to get across that callousness of Old Cho.

I also made the mistake of reading Batman v8 Superheavy right after. It does not compare well. At all. What felt like so many superfluous speech bubbles, caption boxes and dialogue. And Issue 44 did not work for me at all. Another great villain design from Capullo/Snyder though. And the Gordon Batman thing was interesting. Let's see how that ends.

Weiss

Banned
I'm kinda glad I was a bit lukewarm on the Switch reveal because I don't have the money to buy one right now (jfc it's 400 bucks in Canada). I'll wait for a price drop and some more games.

Hagi

Only thing I came away with positive about the switch event was how cool Zelda looks. Their paid online sounds like a clusterfuck and the price while affordable for me just doesn't seem worth what I'd be getting. I might cop a bundle around Christmas time if it's cheap.

I hope the new Shin Megami Tensei isn't exclusive to Switch.

Domu: What a ride! The whole second part of the book creeped me out so much, I had to stop reading before I went to sleep and finish it this morning.
The lack of build up/foreshadowing of some of the gruesome deaths and the pace of the second half works so well to get across that callousness of Old Cho.

I also made the mistake of reading Batman v8 Superheavy right after. It does not compare well. At all. What felt like so many superfluous speech bubbles, caption boxes and dialogue. And Issue 44 did not work for me at all. Another great villain design from Capullo/Snyder though. And the Gordon Batman thing was interesting. Let's see how that ends.

see after you read the good shit and then read like snyder batman or whatever its like "hmm...this isn't good actually"

What's the consensus on the following rebirth titles?

Wonder Woman

The Flash

Titans

Aquaman
Titans is a book that I really enjoy, but I'm not sure I can recommend. It's having some pacing issues, but they're finally moving on to the next arc. The art is nothing spectacular, but it's serviceable and helps the book stay fun and light.

Right now the book's biggest problem is that it's neck deep in the Rebirth storyline, so it does feel like wheel-spinning at points.

Dropped Flash after the first three issues out of boredom. Haven't read the rest

Top Bottom