• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Well it's got a great creative team. Jorge Jimenez is a beast.

Covers

And his interior work is jaw dropping consistently

Check out his work on Earth two Society. I would kill to see him on Batman. Or All-Star Batman.
He's also sexy as fuck if you look him up on Instagram.

PsychBat!

Banned
Monsters Unleashed looks cool

This week!
7Pdbw6H.gif

Messi

I read the first issue of the Island of Scars arc of Green Arrow. I love this book and I love the art. All 3 art teams on the book are slaying. I think the only other book I can say that about is Superman. If I was ranking them I think I'd go :

1. Otto Schmidt
2. Stephen Byrne
3. Juan Ferreyra

But as I say all are wonderful. I wish they would rotate arcs. Otto Schmidt should have done both issues of Island of Scars.

Also I'd like to say it's incredible that Stephen Byrne does the drawing and colouring himself. He is awesome.

If DC doesn't OHC this and Aquaman gets one then they fucked up.

tim1138

I read the first issue of the Island of Scars arc of Green Arrow. I love this book and I love the art. All 3 art teams on the book are slaying. I think the only other book I can say that about is Superman. If I was ranking them I think I'd go :

1. Otto Schmidt
2. Stephen Byrne
3. Juan Ferreyra

But as I say all are wonderful. I wish they would rotate arcs. Otto Schmidt should have done both issues of Island of Scars.

Also I'd like to say it's incredible that Stephen Byrne does the drawing and colouring himself. He is awesome.

All three of them color their own work.

VanWinkle

1. Otto Schmidt
2. Stephen Byrne
3. Juan Ferreyra

All amazing artists. Definitely one of the best looking ongoings. I love artists who do their own coloring, too. I think in some cases Ferreyra would be my favorite, but for this particular book, I agree with your ranking.

TheFlow

Banned

1. Otto Schmidt
2. Stephen Byrne
3. Juan Ferreyra

yea each one does their own art. Which is truly amazing. I am positive Otto did all Island of scars before it switched over to Ferreyra.

Acrylic7

Ok so whats the next best place to order besides Instocktrades?

They have superb packaging and after I had ordered with them I cant ever go back to Amazon or Barnes and Nobles. Any good recommendations? I like my books to not be banged up on arrival.

Going to bed. Heroclix is still fun. Birds of Prey plus Lockjaws for life.
I just get frustrated by unreasonable behavior. I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.
Who doesn't? My point is, though, is that people will fight the fights they want to fight. Maybe you can convince people to flip, but it doesn't mean either one is right or not.

Beyond that, don't try to have a discussion in a thread that you know you won't get anywhere in. It's like saying, "I'm going to eat healthy tonight!" And then pulling onto a street filled only with fast food restaurants. Either go to a different part of town, or you try to sift through it all until you find the one thing that might be healthy. Gaming side is way more toxic than OT, I find, and it's mostly because a lot of threads just die because everyone goes, "I ain't got time for this," but on gaming side every fight is picked ever. It's ludicrous. Even I carried this on too long.

TheFlow

Banned
I read less comics last week than any other week possible

33.Jessica Jones #4
34.Power Man and Iron Fist #12
35.Rocket Racoon #3
36.Cap: Sam Wilson #17
37.Moon Knight #10
38.Spider-Man #12
39.Ivs#2

Aiming for 50 issues this week.

My list
Motor girl #3

Slam #3

some marvel shit

some dc shit

kmfdmpig

Man sports is such a cruel hobby. Tough lost, but I'm proud in the comeback and the future! At least the rest of the playoffs will be stress free. Those games age you fast

Are you a Chiefs fan as well? That was indeed a tough loss, particularly with the penalty that nullified the 2 pt. conversion.

The need for Batman comics in my life again led me to getting the first two issues of All Star Batman. It's pretty much what I expected, both good and bad. I really like the concept behind the story, the road trip with Two Face, and so far it's paced really well, as each issue has really punchy moments and fun Grindhouse attitude. As an action book, I think it's quite good (aided enormously by Romita Jr's pretty fantastic pencils). Things really bog down though when Snyder starts filling up the panels with dialogue balloons though. It seems he's gotten worse about this post New 52, with characters over talking and hammering home the very obvious theme in a really stilted manner. Definitely led to some groans on my part. Gonna stick with it though I think, the pros still definitely outweigh the cons where I'm at.

I'm open to recommendations for some superior Batman reading though. I've already read all of Snyder's new 52 run, Morrison's whole run, year one, dark knight returns, Arkham Asylum, the killing joke, long halloween, and I own but haven't yet read Hush. Year One and Morrison's run being by far my favorites of what I've read.

Also read up through the Red Jack story in Morrison's Doom Patrol. Classic Morrison cosmic/literary insanity with a Frankenstein monster team frames the superhero action in a far more interesting light than I would assume most team books are.

Read through the first volume of Sheriff of Babylon yesterday (#1 - #6). Great setting, interesting set-up and characters. Some really good panel layouts. But the dialogue pacing was a bit of a let down for me. Maybe it was intentional to depict the awkwardness in a conversation between two people where one of them is not fluent in the language being used. But that same stiffness seemed to carry over to conversations too.

kmfdmpig

The need for Batman comics in my life again led me to getting the first two issues of All Star Batman. It's pretty much what I expected, both good and bad. I really like the concept behind the story, the road trip with Two Face, and so far it's paced really well, as each issue has really punchy moments and fun Grindhouse attitude. As an action book, I think it's quite good (aided enormously by Romita Jr's pretty fantastic pencils). Things really bog down though when Snyder starts filling up the panels with dialogue balloons though. It seems he's gotten worse about this post New 52, with characters over talking and hammering home the very obvious theme in a really stilted manner. Definitely led to some groans on my part. Gonna stick with it though I think, the pros still definitely outweigh the cons where I'm at.

I'm open to recommendations for some superior Batman reading though. I've already read all of Snyder's new 52 run, Morrison's whole run, year one, dark knight returns, Arkham Asylum, the killing joke, long halloween, and I own but haven't yet read Hush. Year One and Morrison's run being by far my favorites of what I've read.

Also read up through the Red Jack story in Morrison's Doom Patrol. Classic Morrison cosmic/literary insanity with a Frankenstein monster team frames the superhero action in a far more interesting light than I would assume most team books are.

If you like the bat-family then I'd recommend No Man's Land. It's a considerably long read, but it's one of my all time Batman favorites (except for the one Larry Hama issue which feels like it was written for 7 year olds).

Also, you already own Year One. That's likely the best Batman story ever told and is a quick read, so that should be first.

No. Cowboys

But the chiefs had a crazy way to loose too

Yeah, that was a tough game as well. Your team looks absolutely set for the future though with an affordable QB + RB combo that will make the rest of the team that much better for years to come.

I see Lucifer has hit #14. (Which I have to say is about 6 issues more than I thought it would stick around for.) How has it been?

DC is doing a pretty decent job with their trade pricing.

Flash - 9 issues for $18

Green Lantern - 7 issues for $17

Nightwing - 7 issues for $17

Thor v1 - 5 issues for $20

VanWinkle

I see Lucifer has hit #14. (Which I have to say is about 6 issues more than I thought it would stick around for.) How has it been?

DC is doing a pretty decent job with their trade pricing.

Flash - 9 issues for $18

Green Lantern - 7 issues for $17

Nightwing - 7 issues for $17

Thor v1 - 5 issues for $20

That's not to mention that Marvel trades are like the cheapest quality things ever. Thin covers and insanely thin paper.

Ross61

It should have been more obvious to people after they dropped Sonic in favour of Riverdale for FCBD. The license would be a good fit for Boom's Kaboom line.

I hope that show is good but it doesn't really interest me. It's a Netflix Original here so I'll try an episode or two. It's hard to do a Twin Peaks homage when the actual Twin Peaks is back this year.

It's not a Netflix Original, it's a CW show.

Also it seems Ottley forgot them memo about Vixen's hair.

kmfdmpig

I'm trying to think of what DC or Marvel character he would fit best on. Maybe LoSH?

If they didn't already have a good artist on Super-Sons I think his style would work well for that. I'd be interested in seeing him draw a Cassandra Cain series if they ever did another one.

ElNarez

Banned
Ugh. Your opinions sometimes are just so...interesting.

I'm gonna put it like this: if you hate the current Merry Marvel Way of throwing aside established continuity or characterization to chase the ever elusive publicity of Stunts and Events, no matter how unsustainable this is in the long run, the blueprint for that is in Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. It's all SHOCKING TWISTS that are gonna change Peter Parker FOREVER except not, crying wolf to get quick headlines on BC and The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog. And it's competent, sometimes, they even put good artists on it every once in a while, but it got tiresome really fast, and now it's the entire Marvel line.

Top Bottom