• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Jessica Jones #4, I would have words with thee and thy cast

Captain Marvel:
Does Bendis just
really hate this character

I understand that Jessica was probably the best person for this mission. Her short stint on the Avengers + her previous fall from grace + her low profile make her a great candidate for a hero losing their shit somehow, getting tossed in prison and coming back out alienated from everyone. It makes sense. Really though fuck her for asking her best friend, happily married with a young child, when 99.99% of the super hero community is not even married and there are plenty of other people she could have asked who don't have so much to lose. She just prefers Jessica because she knows her well and trusts her and their buds. But aren't most super heroes pretty solid in the trust department?

Like...why not Rage. Everything that makes Jessica a good candidate is also true of Rage, I think, except he's not married with a kid (as far as I know) and Carol doesn't know him as well.
It's kinda shitty.

Misty Knight:
I'm disappointed that Luke and Jessica have been married for however long they're supposed to have been married (definitely several years) and Misty would jump to "she's always been crazy" so quickly. I'm disappointed she would trash someone who has been her friend and colleague since I don't even know.

Now that we know this is all a smokescreen Carol Danvers Operation, it's frustrating that nobody has figured it out. I know Jessica has a past but hasn't she earned anyone's skepticism at the notion that she broke bad? I'm disappointed that person isn't Misty, who is basically the perfect candidate, being a detective and a spy who knows Jessica pretty well. It makes her look ineffective and frankly out of character

Allison:
I really hope this doesn't end up going where this issue seems to suggest; if Carol's nutso interrogation of Allison Greene turns out to be responsible even a little bit for pushing her to do this, then add one more victim to CWII's list: the marriage of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Jessica:
Jessica you should have said "no, Carol. Carol go back to space"

Detective Brownlee: I like this dude. He's a great addition to the cast, and Maleev draws him well (unlike
Carol
).

Luke: I don't buy that Luke wouldn't have
checked Jessica's mom while desperately hunting for his missing child who his wife has hidden somewhere. If my wife flipped out, hid our kid and wouldn't tell me where she was, of course her parents would be the first place I would check, no matter what kind of relationship they had.

Generally speaking I found this issue's developments to be troubling even if the book is still well made. I find the way it employs certain characters to be sloppy or frustrating, and if it heads a certain direction that is implied as a possibility in this issue, I will probably stop buying it.

Something I was wondering about:
Jessica mentions Ironheart as a potential target. But Ironheart has yet to be introduced in her own book. Everything that happens in Invincible Iron Man has to take place after the last issue of CWII. So is the timeline here supposed to be...Civil War II ends, then Carol asks Jessica to go undercover, Jessica is in prison while the origin of Ironheart takes place, then sometime after that is the story of Jessica Jones? I wonder if Jessica will have a long flashback arc or two while the rest of the MU catches up.

Only the combined efforts of Alan Grant and John Wagner could think, "You know what a good storyline with Tim Drake would be? If he had to stop Anarky from using Eclipso to stop the mayor from allowing cars in Gotham."

VanWinkle

Just pre-ordered the Switch. Ugh. It was after MUCH deliberation. What it came down to was, despite all the ways it disappoints me, I will 100% buy one within the next year anyway for the Nintendo games, and Nintendo consoles don't really go down in price often. I VERY RARELY have $350 set aside to just spend on whatever. And, as a portable it will be pretty amazing besides the horrid online functionality.

So, yeah. It will basically be the Vita successor to me, with way better first party support and graphics, and way worse online functionality.

Just pre-ordered the Switch. Ugh. It was after MUCH deliberation. What it came down to was, despite all the ways it disappoints me, I will 100% buy one within the next year anyway for the Nintendo games, and Nintendo consoles don't really go down in price often. I VERY RARELY have $350 set aside to just spend on whatever. And, as a portable it will be pretty amazing besides the horrid online functionality.

RIP

I really like the software lineup, but the accessory prices are god-damn inexcusable. I did the math and would probably have been spending about $600 for everything I would want to pick up. No thanks. Not with how much there is coming out for the other consoles.

So, yeah. It will basically be the Vita successor to me, with way better first party support and graphics, and way worse online functionality.
Why didn't you just, I dunno, wait?

I wish I had a good answer to that. There isn't anything I want on the hardware front for awhile anyway, until the GTX 1100 series rolls out. Even with games, the only thing that really interests me for a few months is For Honor, and I'll probably skip that depending if I can get some gameplay time with the beta.

It's looking increasingly likely I'll have to buy a console if I want to play Injustice 2 as well. Oh dear.

It's looking increasingly likely I'll have to buy a console if I want to play Injustice 2 as well. Oh dear.

Better buy one that will be able to run it at more than 20 FPS then....

c07c28b2f57bc12ec07d947c8877bfe7.gif

pa22word

This was me with the wiiu.

It didn't end well for me my friend. I probably put 80 hours total into my wiiu. I wish you the best but honestly dude don't be me and buy a system that is going to be sitting in the closet for 90% of its lifetime just because you want a game or two that it might get that might be amazing but might not.

VanWinkle

^ I honestly adore most Nintendo games and I didn't regret buying my Wii U at launch at all. I loved the library. That's why I feel at least reasonably confident in my enjoyment of this system. It's just going to have to be a primarily offline device for me, unfortunately. But I guess I don't play many online Nintendo games anyway. Rules out Splatoon 2, but what can ya do.

Basically, I only have this kind of disposable income once a year (income tax refund). I was thinking about waiting until next year, but next year there may be another new piece of hardware I want to buy, like the Scorpio perhaps.

Launch lineup is terrible, yes. Accessory prices are terrible. Online everything is abysmal. But if I'm buying one anyway, I may as well take this opportunity to get it and play Zelda with better image quality and the ability to play it in a way better portable form factor than the Wii U. And I know when Mario Odyssey comes out I REALLY won't want to have to wait months more to get it.

And regarding accessories, I'm not getting any accessories at launch. EVENTUALLY, I'll probably buy a Pro controller if I can get it cheaper, but I don't need to get it right now. I'm not a big accessory buyer, honestly.

^ I honestly adore most Nintendo games and I didn't regret buying my Wii U at launch at all. I loved the library.

Basically, I only have this kind of disposable income once a year (income tax refund). I was thinking about waiting until next year, but next year there may be another new piece of hardware I want to buy, like the Scorpio perhaps.

Launch lineup is terrible, yes. Accessory prices are terrible. Online everything is abysmal. But if I'm buying one anyway, I may as well take this opportunity to get it and play Zelda with better image quality and the ability to play it in a way better portable form factor than the Wii U. And I know when Mario Odyssey comes out I REALLY won't want to have to wait months more to get it.
I feel you, but I was the same way with the Wii U and I waited until 3D World, Mario Kart 8, W101, Wind Waker HD, Smash Wii U, and Bayonetta 2 were all either out or right about to come out. I'm gonna wait on the Switch until Odyssey drops, because that's the real heavy hitter I need right now.

Better buy one that will be able to run it at more than 20 FPS then....

So, none of them then?

Buying an Xbox would be completely redundant, and a PS4? Ehhhhhhhhh. Until Dawn is all I'd really like to play there that can't be got elsewhere.

It's too much for one game, especially when I've nobody to play with. I was in college for the first Injustice and had a few dozen crammed into my tiny flat for the first game. I'll probably just watch the story on YouTube.

I'm very skittish about buying Nintendo hardware these days. Their [first-party] software has always been great, but they treat their customer base like shit. This console is like an amalgam of all the worst console practices of the past decade.

Buying an Xbox would be completely redundant, and a PS4? Ehhhhhhhhh. Until Dawn is all I'd really like to play there that can't be got elsewhere..

I've never once regretted buying a PS4. There's more than enough between full retail releases and PSN titles to keep you occupied. Sony gives out two free games every month per console that you get to keep as long as you have PS+. The free game of the month (only for that month) that Nintendo is pulling is fucking astounding to me.

VanWinkle

Oh yeah, they told me I was the first one to preorder at the store so far, lol.

I'm very skittish about buying Nintendo hardware these days. Their [first-party] software has always been great, but they treat their customer base like shit. This console is like an amalgam of all the worst console practices of the past decade.

Soooo true. It still makes me so mad to think about some of the terrible things they're doing.

I've never once regretted buying a PS4. There's more than enough between full retail releases and PSN titles to keep you occupied. Sony gives out two free games every month per console that you get to keep as long as you have PS+. The free game of the month (only for that month) that Nintendo is pulling is fucking astounding to me.

I mean, anyone buying a Switch as their main machine is nuts.

I have a capable PC, which I'll probably upgrade a good bit over the next year. More RAM, an 1100 series GPU for sure, and probably a PCI-E SSD just for games as well.

I won't be paying for Nintendo's online, because there's nothing I'll want to play online.

Oh yeah, they told me I was the first one to preorder at the store so far, lol.

#7 here. Not guaranteed one either. Fun!

Speaking of Boom!, y'all need to read Backstagers by James Tynion IV. It's basically Lumberjanes for queer dudes.

As a queer dude, I am now interested in this book.

You probably read some terrible books you can dump. Everyone reads some terrible books.

Nope! My taste is impeccable!

Paper Girls
Lazarus
Outcast
Island
Southern Bastards
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
Old Man Logan
Squirrel Girl
Hulk
Motor Girl
Jonesy
Slam
Superman
Batwoman
Gwenpool
The Flintstones
The Walking Dead
Super-Sons
Black Panther
Wolverine
Wasp

The only things I could imagine dropping is Wolverine, which is good but not great. Or Super-Sons, because it hasn't got it's hooks into me yet.

pa22word

This. So much this. It makes it really hard to get excited for Nintendo stuff following all the garbage theyve pulled over the past few years. Their fan boys defending the amr2 thing was just the most absurd thing I've ever seen. I can't even go into those threads anymore without getting mad at those idiots.

pa22word

I'm guessing it'll be €TooFuckingMuch.
Anything is too fucking much considering thier online output for the last few gens. They'd have to make a massive improvement to get me to pay even 20$ a year much less 50-60.

So anyone read invisible republic? The last issue was p damned good I thought. Also I wish southern bastards would hurry up and get to the plot. It's been wandering too long now imo...

So anyone read invisible republic? The last issue was p damned good I thought. Also I wish southern bastards would hurry up and get to the plot. It's been wandering too long now imo...

I've been reading Invisible Republic since the first trade came out. Really cool sci-fi book.

PsychBat!

Banned
This. So much this. It makes it really hard to get excited for Nintendo stuff following all the garbage theyve pulled over the past few years. Their fan boys defending the amr2 thing was just the most absurd thing I've ever seen. I can't even go into those threads anymore without getting mad at those idiots.

It's these kind of posts that make me hate gaming side.

I can accept the criticism of the companies but the unironic complaining about fanboys and calling anyone idiots about a damn luxury device is absurd.

VanWinkle

It's these kind of posts that make me hate gaming side.

I can accept the criticism of the companies but the unironic complaining about fanboys and calling anyone idiots about a damn luxury device is absurd.

It is kind of annoying though, because there are Nintendo fanboys defending every single decision Nintendo has made with the Switch. That kind of thing just frustrates me so much. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo games but I could never associate myself with Nintendo fanboys (of which there are many).

Sandfox

Silver Surfer is the only good Dan Slott book, don't believe the Superior Spider-Man hype, that path only leads to despair and wasted money and a bad book.
Dan Slott actually has a quite a few of well received books, though you wouldn't think it with how people talk about him today.

I'm probably one of the few people who preordered the Switch not as excited as everyone else for ARMS.
The game seems to be pretty good going by impressions from people who went to demo the Switch.

1v1 me, first to infinity
I'm probably one of the few people who preordered the Switch not as excited as everyone else for ARMS.
It's nothing supremely special. It's just different. We've seen arena fighters before.
It is kind of annoying though, because there are Nintendo fanboys defending every single decision Nintendo has made with the Switch. That kind of thing just frustrates me so much. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo games but I could never associate myself with Nintendo fanboys (of which there are many).
Who cares? Seriously? Who? Why get mad at people who like thing more than you do? You aren't forced to engage and there are always fanboys. Always.

VanWinkle

1v1 me, first to infinity

It's nothing supremely special. It's just different. We've seen arena fighters before.

Who cares? Seriously? Who? Why get mad at people who like thing more than you do? You aren't forced to engage and there are always fanboys. Always.

I just get frustrated by unreasonable behavior. I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.

pa22word

I've been reading Invisible Republic since the first trade came out. Really cool sci-fi book.

Check out Hadrian's Wall? Great little Blade Runner like book that I can't wait to come back. Image is really nailing it lately for me. Ever since Snyder's run on Batman ended I don't have a single cape book on pull (unless Dredd counts >.>). Image is basically my entire pull list atm, lol

How's black science? I've heard it kind of tapers off in the last few vols but it's on sale so eh, I'd give it a spin if it's good!

TheFlow

Banned
As a queer dude, I am now interested in this book.

Nope! My taste is impeccable!

Paper Girls
Lazarus
Outcast
Island
Southern Bastards
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
Old Man Logan
Squirrel Girl
Hulk
Motor Girl
Jonesy
Slam
Superman
Batwoman
Gwenpool
The Flintstones
The Walking Dead
Super-Sons
Black Panther
Wolverine
Wasp

The only things I could imagine dropping is Wolverine, which is good but not great. Or Super-Sons, because it hasn't got it's hooks into me yet.

well super-sons doesn't release till Feb. unless you are saying you are not sold on the concept after reading the 2 issues in Superman.

pa22word

I send Freeza death threats all the time. Thread making is a stressful business.

Hah, it sure is! I can't even remember the last time I made one. Feels like any time you spend the time to make a worthwhile thread no one bothers reading anything but the title anyways ;)

Anyways guys, wow sorry for the OT rant. I guess the new hardware stuff--and I confess, more than a little bit of rum today--caused some old pent up pressure to rise a bit and I let off some steam a little stupidly.

Messi

Hah, it sure is! I can't even remember the last time I made one. Feels like any time you spend the time to make a worthwhile thread no one bothers reading anything but the title anyways ;)

Anyways guys, wow sorry for the OT rant. I guess the new hardware stuff--and I confess, more than a little bit of rum today--caused some old pent up pressure to rise a bit and I let off some steam a little stupidly.

I'm just glad my OTs are a complete solo effort every month.

I had to separate myself from new console warring. It wasn't good for my health. Now I just shout at overwatch.

Man sports is such a cruel hobby. Tough lost, but I'm proud in the comeback and the future! At least the rest of the playoffs will be stress free. Those games age you fast

Well it's got a great creative team. Jorge Jimenez is a beast.

Covers

And his interior work is jaw dropping consistently

Check out his work on Earth two Society. I would kill to see him on Batman. Or All-Star Batman.

Wow this is great in black and white. I hope the colorist doesn't wash it out

Top Bottom