• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

VanWinkle

First OHC volume of Superior Spider-Man finished. Wonderful stuff. I love this new perspective for the character. Just has a fun, fresh feel to it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
which sucks because New Super-Man is doing a lot of cool things and the characters are so interesting. this new arc <3.

I think that is the only monthly in the danger zone that I pull.

I dropped it, so if it gets cancelled, blame me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Only got about 2/3 of the way through Slam! #1 on my first break but I'm already sold. The characters were instantly likable and the book looks great. It's not quite on Chew's level but I love all the little background details in the art too.

Sandfox

Man, the Sonic news angers me and on top of the delaying the Mega Man comics.

Fucking Penders.

"Delayed"

While Penders deserves blame, I feel like Archie deserves more than they are getting because things are being deflected to him.

Did Archie delay something again? We call days like that "Monday."
BC is specualting that Archie is about to drop the Sonic comics.

They are banking on Riverdale and that looks really meh as fuck.

Someone is gonna buyout these guys in 5 years.
It might do well with the CW audience.

TheFlow

Banned
I dropped it, so if it gets cancelled, blame me.

gif12.gif

you are in the danger zone

kmfdmpig

which sucks because New Super-Man is doing a lot of cool things and the characters are so interesting. this new arc <3.

It's a good book. In a way it reminds me of Invincible a bit as it manages to switch between a lighthearted and very serious tone in a way that is purposefully jarring, but effective. The fact that the setting is in China makes it much more interesting than it otherwise would be.

shingi70

Banned

I think New Supeeman will live because Yang gets so much recognition from the greater literary community.

Just caught up on Guardians of the Galaxy. It was better than I expected. Not great just heard a lot of negativity and it wasn't awful. I liked Ben Grimm getting kind of a space girlfriend.

I am skeptical of anyone who likes Rocket, though. He has to be one of the most caustic, selfish assholes alive. Reminds me of the 'nominal hero' tvtrope.

But then I am someone who never liked Punisher or Deadpool for similar reasons so I dunno. Being a violent, selfish asshole is great, don't get me wrong, Taskmaster is my favorite Marvel character. But I intensely side-eye that being glorified or played for laughs. Too much tonal dissonance for me. If they are gonna be amoral pricks, they shouldn't be able to grab lunch with more moral heroes while no one bats an eye.

shingi70

Banned
So is the penders lawsuit the root of Archie's problems. Seems that the reboot and horror stuff has critical but not commerical appeal. Is their superhero lime still going.

I thought Sonic was one of the pubs better selling series.

Just caught up on Guardians of the Galaxy. It was better than I expected. Not great just heard a lot of negativity and it wasn't awful. I liked Ben Grimm getting kind of a space girlfriend.

I am skeptical of anyone who likes Rocket, though. He has to be one of the most caustic, selfish assholes alive. Reminds me of the 'nominal hero' tvtrope.

But then I am someone who never liked Punisher or Deadpool for similar reasons so I dunno. Being a violent, selfish asshole is great, don't get me wrong, Taskmaster is my favorite Marvel character. But I intensely side-eye that being glorified or played for laughs. Too much tonal dissonance for me. If they are gonna be amoral pricks, they shouldn't be able to grab lunch with more moral heroes while no one bats an eye.

Have you tried Gwenpool?

Very interesting take on the amoral antihero concept. If you like Taskmaster, especially Initiative-era Taskmaster? You would probably like it.

kmfdmpig

I think New Supeeman will live because Yang gets so much recognition from the greater literary community.

It's interesting how the title has not really generated any of the positive buzz that Ms. Marvel has. Whenever someone talks bout diversity in comics Ms. Marvel is the example used. New Super-Man hasn't had the same level of success, but deserves to be in that discussion as the title does a pretty good job of working Chinese culture into the comics, as Ms. Marvel does.

TheFlow

Banned
It's a good book. In a way it reminds me of Invincible a bit as it manages to switch between a lighthearted and very serious tone in a way that is purposefully jarring, but effective. The fact that the setting is in China makes it much more interesting than it otherwise would be.

Amen

he does, but that won't stop DC if they feel the book is not doing anything for them :/

Have you tried Gwenpool?

Very interesting take on the amoral antihero concept. If you like Taskmaster, especially Initiative-era Taskmaster? You would probably like it.

Yeah I like Gwenpool a lot. It is a much easier concept for me to swallow when the less moral characters get called out, like how her attempt to be friends with Miles backfires.

I loved Initiative Tasky, but I liked him even more in Secret Avengers and his second mini. In the former, he was the 'token evil' teammate, but we saw his exposure to the team and his maybe-crush on Mockingbird were legitimately causing him to soften up. It was good development. In his mini, he only killed people in self-defense and was generally implied to not particularly enjoy it. I liked that balance. He wasn't good or played as such yet still behaved better than most portrayals of Deadpool or Punisher.

I realize much of the appeal is catharsis, seeing Frank or Wade give it to those who deserve it. But I don't necessarily mind that, even if it's not for me. My issue lies in stuff like Rocket's blatant disregard for people being played for laughs. I dunno. It just isn't that funny to me.

shingi70

Banned
It's interesting how the title has not really generated any of the positive buzz that Ms. Marvel has. Whenever someone talks bout diversity in comics Ms. Marvel is the example used. New Super-Man hasn't had the same level of success, but deserves to be in that discussion as the title does a pretty good job of working Chinese culture into the comics, as Ms. Marvel does.

Is chalk that up to a marvel vs DC thing tbh. Ignoring the companies promoting books I've noticed that whenever Marvel would get points for diversity , DC typically doesnt. No one talked about Val Zod or the last doctor fate series. I remember a yesr or two ago DC had many more female led books than marvel, but alot of people on Tumblr would ignore those and gush over the female series even after the Angela cancellation.

kmfdmpig

Take Sony's advice and get a second job.

Speaking of comic book companies extracting money from readers:

I wonder what DC's view of Marvel Unlimited is. Do they see it as a smart business move and hope to emulate it one day or do they think it would lead to a loss of money by cutting into trade sales and would lead a lot of people to pay the one fee and cut back on monthlies.

Even if the service ends up costing a bit of money is that worth it to create more diehard fans who would be more likely to see movies, watch animated shows, buy merchandise, etc...?

DC has a much more significant back-catalog than Marvel, so would that factor into pricing for the service.

I'd personally be quite interested in something like MU for DC.

Messi

List as I had some time this week:

Batman #15
Cave Carson #3
Green Arrow #15
Harley Quinn #12
Injustice Ground Zero #4
Justice League #13
JLA The Ray Rebirth #1
Justice League Suicide Squad #5
Lucifer #14
Nightwing #13
Raven #5
Super Powers #3
Superman #15
Trinity #5

Curse Words #1 CAT Variant
Descender #18
Kill or be Killed #5
Sunstone Vol 5
Rockstars #2
They're not like us #13

All New X-Men #17
Amazing Spider-Man #23
World of Wakanda #3
Black Widow #10
CAP Sam Wilson #18
Clone Conspiracy #4
Mercs for Money #7
Deadpool the Duck #2
Gamora #2
Gwenpool #2
Invincible Iron Man #3
Mighty Cap Marvel #1
Monsters Unleashed #1
Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat #14
Spider-Gwen #16
Dr Aphra #3
Star Lord #2
Ultimates 2 #3
Uncanny Inhumans #18
USAvengers #2

Archie #16
Slam #3
Motor Girl #3

--

giphy.gif

Money is overrated anyway :/

Sandfox

Is chalk that up to a marvel vs DC thing tbh. Ignoring the companies promoting books I've noticed that whenever Marvel would get points for diversity , DC typically doesnt. No one talked about Val Zod or the last doctor fate series. I remember a yesr or two ago DC had many more female led books than marvel, but alot of people on Tumblr would ignore those and gush over the female series even after the Angela cancellation.
To be fair, nobody read that Doctor Fate series and I doubt too many people know about Val Zod. You said ignoring promotion, but that plays a part as well.

I'm personally waiting for DC to announce a solo starring a black character that isn't a bad Cyborg book.

kmfdmpig

Was anyone else disappointed to read the "we only use 10% of our brains" nonsense in the new Deathstroke? It's amazing how much traction that dumb idea gets despite scientists regularly trying to set the record straight. That along with the DEFCON system almost always being handled wrong in movies are two silly media pet peeves I have.

Priest is great, and he's doing good work with Deathstroke, but that was a disappointment.

shingi70

Banned
To be fair, nobody read that Doctor Fate series and I doubt too many people know about Val Zod. You said ignoring promotion, but that plays a part as well.

I'm personally waiting for DC to announce a solo starring a black character that isn't a bad Cyborg book.

I want new Vixen and Black Lightning books.

shingi70

Banned
oh man. in my veins. but give me the cw version they are cooking.

amen my classes just started, plus Jan is a hot month for games. Comics about to take a backseat till Feb

I got the BL tpb for christmas from my podcasting partner. Man it's some of the best comics I've read and reads more like a marvel book than some of the DC books of the time. (A thing for most of the none JL related books).

Top Bottom