• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

VanWinkle

I wish Marvel would release an OHC of Silver Surfer by Slott/Allred. :( The first fifteen issues before the renumbering would make a perfect first OHC.

Messi

I wish Marvel would release an OHC of Silver Surfer by Slott/Allred. :( The first fifteen issues before the renumbering would make a perfect first OHC.

They are at 23 issues now. I don't see how they won't do one. It's Slott after all. Then again they have this critically acclaimed book in vision 12 issues and still no hardcover even though the writer and artist have told fans to ask for one, so anything is possible.

VanWinkle

They are at 23 issues now. I don't see how they won't do one. It's Slott after all. Then again they have this critically acclaimed book in vision 12 issues and still no hardcover even though the writer and artist have told fans to ask for one, so anything is possible.

So true about Vision. I guess it's just a wait-and-see game.

All caught up on Spider-Woman. It's actually really good

Porcupine is the man

Just caught up as well and oof ...What a gut punch.

Shame the series isn't getting enough love (though it did get featured on a parenting podcast). It's just one of the most adult comics on the stands. Like I can't think of a book that deals with the emotional and logistical facets of parenting. Saga, maybe?

Every other book treats children as motivation/plot device or operates from their point of view. I just don't see what Hopeless is doing anywhere else. It's too bad Spider-Woman is probably ending soon. I'd love to watch Jessica deal with all the stages of parenthood for years to come.

ElNarez

Banned
Silver Surfer is the only good Dan Slott book, don't believe the Superior Spider-Man hype, that path only leads to despair and wasted money and a bad book.

Owzers

Gwenpool holiday special is really boring coming after issue 7 and 8, about halfway through it and it seems like one of those A for affort books.

It's not bad, but it's not good enough to be its own thing.

Edit: got to the red skull story, that was worth a random 8 if I've ever randomly seen one, but only that story, real random scoring will have to wait till I finish the issue.

Edit more, finished! Red skull story was the only really good one, pantsgiving was okay...deadpool halloween not so much and most importantly Gwenpools story was awful. Random 5/10

I wonder how many people still pull Black Panther and haven't moved to trade waiting. I dropped it as soon as they announced am OHC. It doesn't read well in singles at all imo.

Yeah, it reads kinda badly in singles, unless maybe you have a super great memory, I guess. There are just so many moving pieces. I had to catch up on it and really enjoyed it reading a few issues at a time. But I won't drop it on singles. Want to show it support.

New Power Rangers issue this week at last, since #10 was a Christmas special.

I wish they'd used this for the #11 cover instead of a #9 second print though:
3823125.jpg

From Ellis' newsletter of this week:
Just proofed issue 1 of THE WILD STORM, thanks to the excellent accuracy and art of our letterer Simon Bowland, whose work you may remember from JAMES BOND: EIDOLON and JAMES BOND: VARGR. Also, we just locked the colourist, but I'm going to save their name for when I have pages to leak.

And I would LOVE to show you Jim Lee's variant, because it is absolutely stunning, but I think they'd kill me if I leaked that.

Out February 15. FOC Jan 23. (Which means that if you definitely want a copy, you should probably tell your local comics retailer this week.)

Stuff I've been reading:

Hulk #1: Really enjoyed this. I love Jen and I think I'm going to like this more serious exploration of her character.

Old Man Logan 16: This book continues to be the best. Lemire and Sorrentino really are magic together.

Superman: Damn, I thought I'd escaped this double-shipper, but nope. I had it dropped but then I read the annual, which I loved. Had fun with the first issue of the multiplicity arc.

Detective Comics 948: Omg so hyped for the Batwoman solo! That opening spread where she used the
bat cable thingy for the first time
, nngh!

Walking Dead: Dug Whisperer's War. The politics between factions will be interesting. No way is
Maggie gonna be ok about Neegan roaming free. And now we have the Saviors cutting ties. And who knows about this Kingdom's William. Is there going to be issue with him and Michonne?

Black Panther continues to be beautiful.

Comics are good.

kmfdmpig

List
Archie #16
Batman #15
Curse Words #1
Few #1
Green Arrow #15
Justice League vs Suicide Squad #5
Monsters Unleashed #1
Nightwing #13

I thought you bailed on Batman. Other than the first issue I haven't loved it either, but it seems like it's always on the verge of becoming good, but never quite does.

pa22word

Anyone else hyped for kill or be killed?

Shit's like max Payne with the crazy vhead mobster dude boss from the first game as the main character. Can't wait to see where they go with it. Liked it so much I picked up criminals and scene of the crime immediately during the comixology holiday sale. Great reads all around.

Whoops, guess I need to add Spider-Gwen 16 to my pulls this week. Didn't realize this Spider-Man story was a crossover. Well, fingers crossed. Good start.

pa22word

It's hard to be hyped for anything else the week Manifest Destiny comes out. It's unfair to other books really.

But yeah Kill or Be Killed has been really good so far.

I got all of MD as well during that sale but haven't been able to get into it. I love the history of the Era, but it's not what I'm looking for at all when I want to read a comic. I know it gets crazier based on the covers but it just seems to start quite slow I would guess.

I'll probably give it another shot tonight though.

And I'll definitely look at black Monday murders too!

Read Slam #1 and oooohmagah so good! Loved the shit out of it. Only wish I'd pulled it sooner so I could have it in floppies. This is one to collect.

Top Bottom