• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

VanWinkle

Was the image you were using as inspiration a Kevin Maguire panel? The facial expressions are expressive and good, which reminds me of Maguire quite a bit.

In any event, well done.

Indeed. And yeah, Maguire's expression work is absolutely top tier. Thanks man.

I don't believe it was recolored. I remember looking at a few single issues in stores before I tracked down the omnibuses, looked the same!

Im glad you're enjoying it. Yea the coloring is quite good. And the book keeps a pretty unique look and feel

Man, that's so impressive. It seems like most of the coloring I see from the mid-90s is either flat or really terrible garish airbrushing.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Well if you've read all of Hellboy and made it up to 1948, you could do Vampire if you like, that follows straight up (more of a sequel to 1947) or just go onto Hell On Earth. Don't read Abe until it's time, but you'll know. It's very obvious when he gets his own book.

There's Witchfinder etc too, they offer some good lore related to some of what you've read/will read but also stand well enough on their own just to read them when you like. If you're following that reading order, you can't really go wrong.

Already got it to read, got every book from the reading order up to Hellboy in Hell

Just wondering if I've missed any that were released afterwards

Civil War 2 #8
Well that was something. Honestly I want to talk about some of the things that happened in here, but I'm really tired right now, so I'll just say:

I don't feel bad for Tony and I'm upset that nothing I predicted actully happened. Felt like a preview more than a finale and that's upsetting. Like, reading this a ways from now is going to be about four pages of "huh?" What it's showing does interest me a lot though. Still doesn't change the fact that the ending is very tepid, but that's what happens when you try to "CHANGE EVERYTHING FOREVER" or whatever nonsense that you justify or whatever.

At least the art is gorgeous.

Foofaraw

Tom King's Batman is fucking great, but it's the hyper-cerebral kind of great, where you need to be into reading into multiple levels of shit.

I really enjoy King's Batman. It is not hyper cerebral. Fantastic, yes. Umberto Eco, no.

Started reading the Captain America: Sam & Steve books on Marvel Unlimited. Turns out, I had avoided these because I confused Nick Spencer with Sam Humphries. These are solid books (Or rather, Cap-Wolf and issue one of Young Man Steve are great). I don't really like the lack of wings on Steve's new costume. Excited for more issues.

TheFlow

Banned
Anyone here bought digital comics from Amazon and read them in the Comixology app? Do they just show up as already owning them on Comixology once purchased? Was thinking of picking up a couple that are $6 cheaper on Amazon than they are on Comixology.
Yes they do

I haven't read a webcomic in ages... I think the last one was Girl Genius 8-10 years ago... But I just binge read Check, Please! and adored it.

I need to get this in physical copy somehow. I read that there have been two Kickstarters that included hard covers as rewards, so now I need them.

I haven't read a webcomic in ages... I think the last one was Girl Genius 8-10 years ago... But I just binge read Check, Please! and adored it.

I need to get this in physical copy somehow. I read that there have been two Kickstarters that included hard covers as rewards, so now I need them.
I just re-read JL8 and Cucumber Quest so I'm all caught up. Debating restarting on Darths & Droids next.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have such a backlog to catch up on after Christmas - didn't take my tablet with me when I went away to visit family so have a few weeks of issues waiting for me. Need to tackle that before I start picking up new books.

Already got it to read, got every book from the reading order up to Hellboy in Hell

Just wondering if I've missed any that were released afterwards

Just literally anything that comes after hb in hell on the list then, I believe it's completely up to date, there's nothing published that isn't on the list. In fact the list even accounts for two books that aren't out yet in trade, the last bprd arc and the last Abe book. Abe is out this month and te last bprd book is in March

TheFlow

Banned
Infamous Iron Man #3

solid chapter. Doom breaks down why he has been stalking heroes and ect,

Black Road

you know you are about to start reading a great series when the written prologue is hot fire.

Messi

Indeed. And yeah, Maguire's expression work is absolutely top tier. Thanks man.

Man, that's so impressive. It seems like most of the coloring I see from the mid-90s is either flat or really terrible garish airbrushing.

I just bought a Maguire sketch

3/365 of his 2017 sketch series. Harley.

a1akcYC.jpg

Love his expression work.

Lashley

you been reading the book since #30 waiting for it to gripe you! lol I mean it is ending at #45.

I was given the volumes as a gift haha, if it's ending at 45, I may as well continue reading to see how it concludes

Lashley

Quiet week for me

Big Trouble In Little China Escape From New York #4 (Of 6)
Saga #41
The Walking Dead #162

Batman #14
Green Arrow #14
Justice League Vs Suicide Squad #3
Midnighter And Apollo #4
Nightwing #12
Superman #14

Avengers #3
Captain America Sam Wilson #17
Old Man Logan #16
U.S.Avengers #1
Unworthy Thor #3

Ross61

So it seems that Tom King book is with Mitch Gerards and will be another obscure DC property. 12 issues and it starts around August. It was mentioned in the latest Wordballoon podcast.

TheFlow

Banned
So it seems that Tom King book is with Mitch Gerards and will be another obscure DC property. 12 issues and it starts around August. It was mentioned in the latest Wordballoon podcast.

oh shit.

Tom king introduces : Plastic Man

miracleman most likely

That holiday sale over at ComiXology was perfect for me to get new books that I haven't check out. But I was wondering if Seven To Eternity is any good?

TheFlow

Banned
Black Road #1-5

Black Road is quite a grimm book. I love the setting, even though the characters are nothing special. The plot twist at #5 makes the book interesting enough to keep reading, but I will trade wait this. Chapters end quick.

Top Bottom