• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Tizoc

Guys Transformers More Than Meets The Eye is the best thing ever. I am a ruined pile of glass and tears right now over these robot toys.

That's what I've been saying these 2 years :V
Feel free to make a LTTP thread for it if you want.

On the topic of not developing villains these days I couldn't agree more, I was mentioning this a bit back in a previous aimless rant I did. I think it probably comes down to a mix of things.

Firstly I don't think many writers are given the time these days to develop new villains across multiple issues and actually make them seem formidable, between short series runs, event tie ins, guest appearances to appeal the book to new readers and rebirths/renumbering how many consecutive issues do most writers actually get.

Then there's the modern trend especially in Marvel where a lot of the time the main villains to characters are actually other heroes they have different views on or team members they have infighting with, villains are just added as background noise/throw away appearances.

Its a shame because I think that can add to fatigue of reading the big two Marvel/DC especially seeing the same villains show up again and again with only slight differences and your meant to be shocked and amazed.

I also want to hug the sad ghost/god :) though would that be possible due to ghostyness or smiting. Though maybe hes somewhat corporeal if hes wearing his little hat there.

Mindwipe

kmfdmpig

On the topic of not developing villains these days I couldn't agree more, I was mentioning this a bit back in a previous aimless rant I did. I think it probably comes down to a mix of things.

Firstly I don't think many writers are given the time these days to develop new villains across multiple issues and actually make them seem formidable, between short series runs, event tie ins, guest appearances to appeal the book to new readers and rebirths/renumbering how many consecutive issues do most writers actually get.

Then there's the modern trend especially in Marvel where a lot of the time the main villains to characters are actually other heroes they have different views on or team members they have infighting with, villains are just added as background noise/throw away appearances.

Its a shame because I think that can add to fatigue of reading the big two Marvel/DC especially seeing the same villains show up again and again with only slight differences and your meant to be shocked and amazed.

I also want to hug the sad ghost/god :) though would that be possible due to ghostyness or smiting. Though maybe hes somewhat corporeal if hes wearing his little hat there.

Good post. It does seem like there are very few compelling villains being created now. Recycling the same popular villains over and over or having heroes fight other heroes is not ideal. One thing that does happen sometimes, which is a decent middle-ground option is taking an existing villain that was not very successful and reworking him/her to add relevance and a modern touch. Green Arrow, for example, did a fairly good job of that with Clock King recently.

Good post. It does seem like there are very few compelling villains being created now. Recycling the same popular villains over and over or having heroes fight other heroes is not ideal. One thing that does happen sometimes, which is a decent middle-ground option is taking an existing villain that was not very successful and reworking him/her to add relevance and a modern touch. Green Arrow, for example, did a fairly good job of that with Clock King recently.

I feel like Marvel has been doing this to great effect - the problem is they're only doing it to reform ex-villains into good guys. Which, don't get me wrong, is awesome. Brain Drain in Squirrel Girl and Porcupine in Spider-Woman are both fantastic characters, and I love the idea of these old-school dude villains becoming the sidekicks to kickass female heroes. It's a great subversion of the old 'guy on the field, girl on backup' trope.

But we need some more of that on the villain side, too.

I also would kill for a new sort of Superior Foes of Spider-Man-esque book about some young villains coming together, establishing them as three-dimensional characters, and gradually building them up as threats.

kmfdmpig

Ultimates 2: Apparently the first issue had identical sales to the last issue of Ultimates. I'm guessing it'll get 12 issues though. Not all relaunches or renumberings work and Marvel doesn't seem to have been lucky with Now! 2.0.

Is that actual sales or one of those overship policies to match first issue orders? I know they had at least one or two where they matched the first issue's shipping order regardless of what the stores ordered.

I also would kill for a new sort of Superior Foes of Spider-Man-esque book about some young villains coming together, establishing them as three-dimensional characters, and gradually building them up as threats.

I don't read a ton of Marvel, but yes, that would be amazing. Such a great book and you're right that while it was light hearted it helped to reinvigorate some of those villains.

tkscz

Looking back, I have no idea what DC was thinking with that whole fiasco. I get trying to be different, but that was just...bad.

Originally I thought it was to have the new Lobo be satire of the way new comics were headed (every dude is pretty, serious and come off boring), but nope, they took his character serious, even with a serious background. I read the first four and stopped. I liked the side characters, but Lobo shouldn't be about side characters or partners. The way it was headed, should've just been a new character altogether. Glad they've gone back.

Wait, they canceled Prowler? I didn't even know it was out yet.

kmfdmpig

Originally I thought it was to have the new Lobo be satire of the way new comics were headed (every dude is pretty, serious and come off boring), but nope, they took his character serious, even with a serious background. I read the first four and stopped. I liked the side characters, but Lobo shouldn't be about side characters or partners. The way it was headed, should've just been a new character altogether. Glad they've gone back..

Lobo is an odd character like Rorschach in that he was designed to mock and lampoon that type of character and has fans some of whom see him that way and some who just think he's badass. It's hard to please both groups, and I can see why it would be easy to misjudge when portraying the character. With that said, good riddance to the Nu52 one as he was awful.

Originally I thought it was to have the new Lobo be satire of the way new comics were headed (every dude is pretty, serious and come off boring), but nope, they took his character serious, even with a serious background. I read the first four and stopped. I liked the side characters, but Lobo shouldn't be about side characters or partners. The way it was headed, should've just been a new character altogether. Glad they've gone back.

Wait, they canceled Prowler? I didn't even know it was out yet.

A lot of that is based off speculation, as some upcoming synopses have a very 'final' sound to them, such as Foolkiller #5.

I'm not sure about Invincible Iron Man being a flop, though. Hasn't it been holding strong at like 80k+ with Issue 2 in December?

So comixology is having a sale on Black panther trades. Which ones should I buy?

https://www.comixology.com/Black-Pa...f=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Just a note. I think that first Epic Collection also includes whatever is in the first Marvel Masterworks collection.

And the second Marvel Masterworks collection includes whatever is in the Kirby v1 trade.

I would strongly recommend the 4 Priest collections, especially considering that they are $40 for all four!

Veelk

Banned
Just picked up Lucifer 14.

Please don't tell me we have a new writer? Holly Black was doing such a fantastic job.

Edit: Oh, man, some googling tells me it's true. Dammit. I wasn't impressed with his half of Lucifer 13, but I assumed he was a one off. If he's taking over, I'm sad.

Nightwing

This book has really been on a roll. I'm glad I picked it back up after the first arc really didn't grab me.

JL vs SS

I don't know how I feel about the quick turn of events at the end of the book.
It just feels weird to me that the books "villain" or whatever keeps changing. It was the Suicide Squad then it was the old Suicide Squad then it was the Justice League ran by Lord, and now it's Eclipso... After Lord was the one behind it all from the start I would have liked to have at least a bit more of him being the villain.

How quickly the heroes were able to take everything over so fast was pretty awesome though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
New Image title coming from Cullen Bunn in May.

15977567_1399998343344394_1068452139181650271_n.jpg

Regression

REGRESSION follows Adrian, a man tormented by ghastly waking nightmares. Pushed to a point of desperation, Adrian reluctantly turns to past life regression hypnotherapy as a means of understanding and treating the unwanted visions. When his consciousness is cast back through time, Adrian witnesses a scene of horrific debauchery and diabolism before waking up. But Adrian's more unsettled than before and something dark and unnatural has followed him back... Now Adrian finds himself descending into a world of occult conspiracy, mystery, reincarnation, and insanity—from which there is no escape.

Definitely not for me but I thought I'd pass it along.

Started reading Batman v9 Bloom yesterday. This series just seems to be getting worse with every issue/arc. At this point, it is starting to sound as trite as a straight to dvd steven seagal movie.

Gordon: Give me once last chance! Let me go in alone!

Bruce (in three panels): Oh, were we talking about your worries about your abusive father and how he might have had a super convoluted involvement in the death of my parents. That's fine, I'm over it. Lets have shower sex.

Joker: Oh hey, here's a scientific fact I learnt from a reddit forward. Parasitic fish tongues!

Bloom started out as an interesting and promising design but reading some more, it is clear that he only has about as much "development" as a throwaway villain from a 2-issue arc.

The series went from hovering between a 7-7.5 to a 6 at best.

This is like the 4th(5th maybe even?) book in Marvel Now! 2.0 that happens to have Luke Cage in Harlem. With World Of Wakanda apparently being a failure(it was also one of the books Marvel sent tons of free issues of) and already at #94 with issue 2 I don't think this'll sell in singles but do well in trades. Black Panther seems to only be able to support 1 title and not a whole line.

Would've loved to see this as a Rebirth Wonder Woman-esque "Every other issue of BP in 2017 is a Crew issue while the other is a BP issue".

Cool, definitely looking forward to this after panther and world of wakanda - be interesting to see how he approaches it, as panther on the whole is more of a slower paced political book with some action thrown in, but don't know if he'd be able to take a similar approach on this kind of team book - saying that his panther issue with the crew is was pretty good fun and made me look forward to more

Though also from reading his interview on it, it definitely looks like this could be a good audition for an xmen series for him in the future if it does well

It's a super hero team book dealing with discrimination and being an outsider, he even quotes xmen as his influence

TheFlow

Banned
This is like the 4th(5th maybe even?) book in Marvel Now! 2.0 that happens to have Luke Cage in Harlem. With World Of Wakanda apparently being a failure(it was also one of the books Marvel sent tons of free issues of) and already at #94 with issue 2 I don't think this'll sell in singles but do well in trades. Black Panther seems to only be able to support 1 title and not a whole line.

Would've loved to see this as a Rebirth Wonder Woman-esque "Every other issue of BP in 2017 is a Crew issue while the other is a BP issue".
Dear God no! Black panther does not need his solo title be clogged up. the crew is not going to last long either

Dear God no! Black panther does not need his solo title be clogged up. the crew is not going to last long either
That's what I fear. The book isn't going to last past 2 collections most likely so why not just repurpose it as a BP arc or actually market it as a mini like the first series ended up?

Which is funny considering even though I love panther as hes writing it now, I think the crew as a team book might appeal to a lot more people who wanted a more traditional comic approach from him on panther to begin with and want a more actiony book

though of course I'm just guessing on the style of it until its released

TheFlow

Banned
Which is funny considering even though I love panther as hes writing it now, I think the crew as a team book might appeal to a lot more people who wanted a more traditional comic approach from him on panther to begin with and want a more actiony book

though of course I'm just guessing on the style of it until its released
If people want black panther being the GOAT read ultimates. He clowns everyone in that book.

The crew would be an amazing mini. But as a team book it would be weird imo because a lot of the characters are already spread out

----
Lordoflore

I will buy because I support people of color in comics. I think it might work because BP is about to end its first season in March

Lordoflore

I will buy because I support people of color in comics. I think it might work because BP is about to end its first season in March
Same. Also, referring to seasons in comics is weird and I hate Marvel for promoting the usage. TV shows get months or even years in some cases between seasons while comics keeps running or they're dead.

Haha yeah.
Like, the only books that seems to actually be run at a seasonal model currently are Clean Room and Sheriff of Babylon that are both taking short breaks between arcs after running for a year.

Maybe Multiversity if we're still believing Morrison actually has done any work on it the last two years :p

Top Bottom