• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

tim1138

Does the fourth world stuff need to be read in the order that Kirby out it out, or can I just jump int iwht his new gods series?

You can just read New Gods and be fine, but it's pretty awesome to read it as a giant crossover. The books standalone but are all interconnected.

Speaking of the Fourth World, Mr Miracle started going up this week, so that will just leave Superman'sPal Jimmy Olsen.

I missed that part, my bad. Your broader complaint is correct. These younger versions of legacy heroes have no rogues gallery and at best end up "borrowing" from their parent book or digging into the marvel D list.

However- there is some progress.
Logos
in Ultimates 2, Nain Rouge in Great Lakes Avengers, Punisher and Matt Murdock/Kingpin in Spider-Gwen, Sinister Six in Spider Man 2099 (yes, really)- there's a decent amount of stuff out there.

I saw you called out Sam-Cap, but his book has been pretty solid. There's been a few callbacks to old Cap villains (flag smasher, serpent society), but Spencer has done a pretty good job setting up Keane and the Americops as a pretty big nemesis in that book. They aren't pushovers and there's no obvious way to deal with them head on.

U.S.Agent is also a really interesting antagonist.

U.S.Agent is also a really interesting antagonist.

I was hedging on including him. He's been a Cap rogue/hero/antihero forever- but the new take on him? He's practically a completely different character this time.

Sam-Cap is probably the best book in marvel's lineup right now. Everything is just completely on point there.

Ultimates 2 though seems to have found it's footing as of the latest issue though. Jesus- how many curveballs is that book going to throw at us?

TheFlow

Banned
I was hedging on including him. He's been a Cap rogue/hero/antihero forever- but the new take on him? He's practically a completely different character this time.

Sam-Cap is probably the best book in marvel's lineup right now. Everything is just completely on point there.

Ultimates 2 though seems to have found it's footing as of the latest issue though. Jesus- how many curveballs is that book going to throw at us?
Last issue of Sam was arguably the best written of the week. Spencer puts it in your face with out smothering you

The issue where Sam fights U.S agent was amazing. He really needs to train more

shingi70

Banned
You can just read New Gods and be fine, but it's pretty awesome to read it as a giant crossover. The books standalone but are all interconnected.

Speaking of the Fourth World, Mr Miracle started going up this week, so that will just leave Superman'sPal Jimmy Olsen.

Yeah I wanted to start from the beginning but superman pal isn't up yet.

Last issue of Sam was arguably the best written of the week. Spencer puts it in your face with out smothering you

The issue where Sam fights U.S agent was amazing. He really needs to train more

eh...training will only get you so far. Yeah, Misty Knight seems to kick his ass on the regular but Sam isn't a pushover. He dealt with crossbones pretty easily a few issues into the series without too much difficulty.

People forget USAgent is not only legitimately superhuman, but well trained in Cap's fighting style. Rogers got his ass handed to him once or twice fighting him.

Sam shouldn't really have a prayer against Agent, unless he gets creative- which he did.

Rage looks like he's been nerfed a bit though.

TheFlow

Banned
eh...training will only get you so far. Yeah, Misty Knight seems to kick his ass on the regular but Sam isn't a pushover. He dealt with crossbones pretty easily a few issues into the series without too much difficulty.

People forget USAgent is not only legitimately superhuman, but well trained in Cap's fighting style. Rogers got his ass handed to him once or twice fighting him.

Sam shouldn't really have a prayer against Agent, unless he gets creative- which he did.

Rage looks like he's been nerfed a bit though.
True Sam has no super powers but most of the fighting situations he is in Misty knight would handle it so much better. Hell that seems to be a running pun in the series. I am glad he is using his powers to his advantage. Like I said his fight with the Agent is an amazing issue.

I don't remember him fighting crossbones and I read most of the issues just months ago. Which issue?

tim1138

Yeah I wanted to start from the beginning but superman pal isn't up yet.

If you have all of the Forever People, you can do Forever People 1-8, New Gods 1-6, Forever People 9-11, New Gods 7-11. There's really only one big plot point you'd be missing from Superman's Pal and most of Mr Miracle goes after New Gods ends.

True Sam has no super powers but most of the fighting situations he is in Misty knight would handle it so much better. Hell that seems to be a running pun in the series. I am glad he is using his powers to his advantage. Like I said his fight with the Agent is an amazing issue.

I don't remember him fighting crossbones and I read most of the issues just months ago. Which issue?

Issue 1.

SzAmdFr.png

fight was off panel, but crossbones was busted up there, Sam didn't have a scratch on him.

I missed that part, my bad. Your broader complaint is correct. These younger versions of legacy heroes have no rogues gallery and at best end up "borrowing" from their parent book or digging into the marvel D list.

However- there is some progress.
Logos
in Ultimates 2, Nain Rouge in Great Lakes Avengers, Punisher and Matt Murdock/Kingpin in Spider-Gwen, Sinister Six in Spider Man 2099 (yes, really)- there's a decent amount of stuff out there.

I saw you called out Sam-Cap, but his book has been pretty solid. There's been a few callbacks to old Cap villains (flag smasher, serpent society), but Spencer has done a pretty good job setting up Keane and the Americops as a pretty big nemesis in that book. They aren't pushovers and there's no obvious way to deal with them head on.

I kind of agree with you, I kind of don't.

Which is to say, Sam-Cap is indeed amazing, but if you asked me who his arch-nemesis was, I couldn't tell you to save my life. US Agent was a great opponent, but he's also sort of being portrayed as a good guy who is being lied to and having his patriotism manipulated.

Really, the closest thing you could say to Sam's nemesis is Steve Rogers - he just doesn't know it yet. And once that comes to fruition it'll be awesome.

My problem is we're getting a lot of single-issue villains and arc-villains (ie, 3-5 issues), but not really any -series- villains. Look at Jane-Thor. While I have some problems with the book, there's multiple persistent antagonists, from the dark elf I forget the name of, to Loki [who's clearly playing his own game, of course]. Ultimates 2 is also a good example; I think Al Ewing in general is good about keeping a strong villain on the field. Thanos in Ultimates, the new people in Ult 2, Reed Richards, and Golden Skull have all been very strong.

TheFlow

Banned
Golden skull is kinda generic. The only unique thing about him is the mask and that is kinda a play off the black mask and red skull

Golden skull is kinda generic. The only unique thing about him is the mask and that is kinda a play off the black mask and red skull

Fair, though I think he seems pretty fun so far. Maybe a bit generic, but I guess that's my point; it feels like we're lacking on 'generic' villains who are just in it for the money and power lately. I like the simplistic approach here.

Messi

Fair, though I think he seems pretty fun so far. Maybe a bit generic, but I guess that's my point; it feels like we're lacking on 'generic' villains who are just in it for the money and power lately. I like the simplistic approach here.

As do I. I think it helps this book 100%. Remember this is the spiritual successor to the book that gave us a character who was a Kaiju with an american flag down its stomach

Sometimes simple is good.

TheFlow

Banned
We can come to an agreement about him being simple. Based on solicits
i doubt he will last 5 issues

Weiss

Banned
Guys Transformers More Than Meets The Eye is the best thing ever. I am a ruined pile of glass and tears right now over these robot toys.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So it's been decided? Soup is gross and nobody here will consume it ever again under threat of banishment to OT comic threads.

Vibranium

Banned
When I first found out I had thyroid cancer I had a lump in my throat so big I ate nothing but soup and smoothies for five months

It sucked

Damn man! I hope you got out of it ok.

So Iron Fist and Power Man is fun, I like Greene's art a lot, it pops and fits the tone. Danny being so goofy is cool though I miss how Immortal Iron Fist blended drama and humor. Luke Cage is mint too.

Justice League #12
MAX LORD REBIRTH. This was a really good tie-in. Gave us everything we really needed to understand Max, though as of right now, without having read past JLvSS #1, we don't know how his powers work. Though it probably has to do with his early years (hearing voices and having nosebleeds). Good issue. Good story.

Reading Mighty Captain Marvel gives a whole different feel for the Alpha Flight program.

Why isn't Marvel selling its own version of Stormwatch? An international team closer to soldiers than heroes. I'd read that damn book.

Ultimates 2: Apparently the first issue had identical sales to the last issue of Ultimates. I'm guessing it'll get 12 issues though. Not all relaunches or renumberings work and Marvel doesn't seem to have been lucky with Now! 2.0.

Top Bottom