• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

tim1138

I can't believe DC was able to publish the first arc of Hitch's JL Rebirth without getting sued or a c&d from EA/Bioware, good god did he ever borrow liberally from Mass Effect. Praise Hoopla for letting me read that mess for free.

I can't believe DC was able to publish the first arc of Hitch's JL Rebirth without getting sued or a c&d from EA/Bioware, good god did he ever borrow liberally from Mass Effect. Praise Hoopla for letting me read that mess for free.

I think someone brought up not too long ago who would we want put on JL instead of Hitch and I think I finally came to my conclusion. Seeing how well the first couple years of Injustice was and how well it did with a lot of characters I think Tom Taylor would be worth giving a shot on it. Too bad it was him coming back to Injustice2 that brought the idea up so it's probably not possible.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eh, dont get me wrong, the currently tweeted stuff is important but for the moment it was just fodder because it wasnt what I looked for

kmfdmpig

Even if they wanted to pursue that I wonder if they would have given their own issues with plagiarism accusations and reused assets/copied assets.

mreddie

Brevoort's "Marvel is too political" thing I feel is a problem if only because it drowns out the actual problem about Marvoo at the moment.

And Leth? Yeah, she's gone.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
East of West: The Apocalypse Year Two deluxe hardcover edition to hit stores this March
16195724_1404896332854595_1678274007054895688_n.jpg

I will be amazed if we're talking about an industry that isn't 95% digital for singles with print trades making up the rest in the next five years.

If that's the case the comics industry is going to be much, much smaller than it is today. A huge portion of the current monthly market is people who like going to their shop, talking to the clerks and clients, and having physical media. Comic shops collapsing will take a ton of product with it.

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
AKA You Somehow Didn't Fuck Up Harley Quinn Award.
If that's the case the comics industry is going to be much, much smaller than it is today. A huge portion of the current monthly market is people who like going to their shop, talking to the clerks and clients, and having physical media. Comic shops collapsing will take a ton of product with it.
Remender said it best in a recent interview how comic shops are the modern day record stores. It's not gonna last forever.

From Red Cube Studios newsletter:
Good news; there will be an #ArtCred panel at C2E2! I haven't announced this online yet, but the agreed panelists are Kieron Gillen, Jeff Lemire, Erica Henderson, Jordie Bellaire and Oliver Sava, barring any schedule conflicts. I think it's a really good mix with a writer, writer and writer/artist, with a colourist and a critic to get even more points of view on the issue. I've been asked to write a piece for a great magazine about #ArtCred, so I'm thinking maybe this would be the last panel about it I'll be involved in. I'm all for banging the drum, but there's only so long I do that before it just becomes noise.

AKA You Somehow Didn't Fuck Up Harley Quinn Award.

Remender said it best in a recent interview how comic shops are the modern day record stores. It's not gonna last forever.

And the music industry lost hugely when record stores went away. Small shops are vitally important for spreading the word about new product. Same thing happened with literature when Barnes & Nobles and eventually amazon drove out independent book stores. I'm not saying it won't happen but the overall impact is going to be very negative for new creators trying to get attention.

And the music industry lost hugely when record stores went away. Small shops are vitally important for spreading the word about new product. Same thing happened with literature when Barnes & Nobles and eventually amazon drove out independent book stores. I'm not saying it won't happen but the overall impact is going to be very negative for new creators trying to get attention.

Those small music and book stores still exists in heavily populated cities where those types of enthusiast will support them and keep their store open. The same can happen to comics. Midtown Comics isn't going anywhere. It's at a great location and has created a reputation as the best comic store in the US. I think your not gonna see comic stores in suburbs anymore.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Those small music and book stores still exists in heavily populated cities where those types of enthusiast will support them and keep their store open. The same can happen to comics. Midtown Comics isn't going anywhere. It's at a great location and has created a reputation as the best comic store in the US. I think your not gonna see comic stores in suburbs anymore.
Do you think they will print comics for a couple of big stores?

Zombine

Banned
East of West: The Apocalypse Year Two deluxe hardcover edition to hit stores this March

I feel so bad but honestly this is how I read East of West now. I can binge a whole season, then safely wait for the next. By waiting for the hardcover I can partake without being bummed if he forgets about the book. Also, it flows better.

Do you think they will print comics for a couple of big stores?

They already do. Target and Best Buy sell DC trades and the combo trades that come with the animated movie, Walmart sells 3 different DC and Marvel single issues in a pack for $5, and Barnes & Noble sells DC issues in their magazine rack and the majority of new comic readers go to B&N to get into comics or go digital.

Owzers

I feel so bad but honestly this is how I read East of West now. I can binge a whole season, then safely wait for the next. By waiting for the hardcover I can partake without being bummed if he forgets about the book. Also, it flows better.
I am just about to read the last six issues of floppies I've piled up while still debating if I'm going to drop the flop altogether.

Wait, are their twice monthly books seriously going to be 3.99 each(and without the old codes)?

Sounds pretty final for GLA(wouldn't be surprised if it still lasted 5 more issues somehow), Moon Knight, MG&DD, Uncanny Avengers, Spider-Man 2099, Hellcat, PM&IF(explains why they're doing Defenders and 2 Iron Fist books)and Rocket Raccoon(already?!).

Still really hate the Scarlet Spider costume. Really feels like an attempt to mimic Gwen now.

Is that Jessica Jones fangirling from Kate a retcon? Really don't remember her looking up to her even in vol 1 of YA.

Guardians of the Galaxy #16: I've been enjoying Grounded for the most part but I thought this issue was really awful

Dr. Seuss (aka Theodor Geisel) constructed perfect rhymes, almost every single book he ever published is structurally perfect, and many of them employ extremely limited vocabularies. This issue, an homage to Geisel, is a testament to how difficult that is to do. Bendis is especially bad at this; I didn't think there was a single passable couplet in the entire book, and it's not like he isn't making an effort! He cheats like fucking crazy trying to get them to work and man, most of them are painful to read. Cringe yourself to sleep with this comic

Also, there are no less than three four pages featuring white text with a thick black outline on one side and no line at all on the other, against white background. Who approved these pages

Edit: I guess there are a couple of passable couplets on the first page. But that's it

MALL MADNESS! How can Patsy be spending this much time with Jubilee and NOT go to the mall? Will they swing by the food court? Catch a movie? Have a fashion montage? Certainly no villains will be there. What would a villain possibly be doing at the mall??
Does anything important ever happen in this book? She's still fighting Black Cat?

TheFlow

Banned
wait they are double shipping books at 4 bucks.

x-men blue
weapon x
Captain America: Steve rogers
old man logan

lol I wonder if the same people who didn't like DC doing it will buy this up for 2 dollars more.

I am very happy at where the direction of Spifer-Man and Mighty thor is going

This is what I wanted! cameos from the other heroes

Kang War ends at #6? damn that is a long arc. I thought it would end at #4

Infamous Iron-Man is about to be hype
Evil reed richards

God is fucking good! new BP arc starts right after this one! and man on man is it something big

overall the digital code thing is going to make wait to jump on some of the new books coming. The iron fist book and Ms. America I will buy.

Remember when Batman and Robin Eternal was four dollars every week

I wish Marvel was competing with DC on price as much as anyone, but I don't think this is anything to get outraged over

The lack of codes IS outrageous but that's a separate issue

TheFlow

Banned

I wish Marvel was competing with DC on price as much as anyone, but I don't think this is anything to get outraged over

yea and I didn't buy it.

Marvel only gets away with it because they know certain people will buy their shit up regardless.

Captain America Steve Rogers is probably one of the few books that could pull of double shipping at 4 dollars. the x-stuff double shipping is some risky shit.

As a consumer is in my right to call marvel out on some bs especially when the competition does it better XD.

It was $2.99 an issue actually. The first issue may have been $3.99 but I don't remember.

mreddie

Wait, are their twice monthly books seriously going to be 3.99 each(and without the old codes)?

Sounds pretty final for GLA(wouldn't be surprised if it still lasted 5 more issues somehow), Moon Knight, MG&DD, Uncanny Avengers, Spider-Man 2099, Hellcat, PM&IF(explains why they're doing Defenders and 2 Iron Fist books)and Rocket Raccoon(already?!).

Still really hate the Scarlet Spider costume. Really feels like an attempt to mimic Gwen now.

Is that Jessica Jones fangirling from Kate a retcon? Really don't remember her after looking up to her even in vol 1 of YA.

MK, MG&DD, Uncanny Avengers, PM&IF, Rocket are just ending their arcs.
Hellcat, given what we discussed, it's a wild card.

SOLO ES NO MAS
And Foolkiller is gone.

Top Bottom