• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

I think Black Hammer is cool, but that it's more of a deconstruction that doesn't act like a team book. It's more focused on the individual characters rather than the team and them doing stuff.

I wouldn't be opposed to a JSA book though lol.

Disagree about the book being about individuals. The book is very specifically about a group of individuals that feel alone and came to a place damaged and whether they personally realise or not, need each other to survive and grow. It's a book about a family, much like many team books. It's not about them running around fighting crime though, sure.

I think Black Hammer is cool, but that it's more of a deconstruction that doesn't act like a team book. It's more focused on the individual characters rather than the team and them doing stuff.

I wouldn't be opposed to a JSA book though lol.

That is an interesting point. I also remembered Ex X-Men, which I thought was fair at best.

But yeah I will take any kind of JSA book. Put Land on it for all I care

And I've been really crossing my fingers for new DC work from Lemire as well

Ultimate Peter Parker is gonna be the only one not to come back :(

Good

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You used to be someone I could trust.
As fewer Spider-People hanging aroung in New York, as better. Its just ridicolus at this point, even while they are lately getting better in giving everyone their own place.

Anyway, giving Bendis his own Sandbox where he doesnt have to care and cant break other peoples work is the best thing that can happen period.

Sandfox

Disagree about the book being about individuals. The book is very specifically about a group of individuals that feel alone and came to a place damaged and whether they personally realise or not, need each other to survive and grow. It's a book about a family, much like many team books. It's not about them running around fighting crime though, sure.
That's true, but each issue mostly focuses on a specific member of the group and how they are dealing with things with the help of flashbacks. You may see them confide in another member, but they aren't coming together as a group(at least not yet). Even the annual is separate stories about the different characters.

I haven't read comics today.

I've read all of ROM today, along with the first ROM vs. Transformers: Shining Armor issue.

Stardrive is awesome. Hasbro need to get on announcing a toy for her straight away.

I'm going to take the plunge on Black Hammer as well due to all the buzz lately.

error4041

Royals was pretty good, I really like the plot elements it's setting up and I'm really curious if these Progeniters that Ewing is teasing are going to stick around at all after book is done.

Only thing the book needs in my opinion is better art. Only thing keeping it from being on the same teir as Black Bolt

What does it matter? It was a amazing run with a great grand finale. Thats all what matters.
Also, this is Superhero Comics, you can complain with this argument about everything.

House of M was one of the biggest influences for Marvel comics in the universe. That event caused a lot of problems for people that lasted for a good ten years or so. They own how to continue a story. Hell, Civil War had an impact in the greater Marvel universe for a couple of years.

Also, we need to stop saying the excuse of its just comic books too.

Sandfox

Royals was pretty good, I really like the plot elements it's setting up and I'm really curious if these Progeniters that Ewing is teasing are going to stick around at all after book is done.

Only thing the book needs in my opinion is better art. Only thing keeping it from being on the same teir as Black Bolt
Javier Rodriguez is going to be taking over the art on Royals.

If the Ultimate universe is still a thing, then Secrets Wars didn't even matter in the first place.
Secret Wars still brought characters from other universes over the main on and writers are using it for stories even now.

That's true, but each issue mostly focuses on a specific member of the group and how they are dealing with things with the help of flashbacks. You may see them confide in another member, but they aren't coming together as a group(at least not yet). Even the annual is separate stories about the different characters.

I mean it's an ensemble book that focuses around a core cast living together. Focusing on a character per issue is a storytelling style, the TV show lost did that. They could be running around together and it could focus on specific member per issue still. I mean, if you don't think that book displays his ability to write a group of people who by function of the narrative are thrown together and have them interact and develop compelling dynamics between each other, work together, rub against each other and create friction, and so on that's fine. That's literally what I would look for in an ensemble/team book to engage me in the case of a superhero team though and I would disagree that it doesn't make the case.

Even beyond Black Hammer, I would point to Sweet Tooth, Descender. Again, groups of people coming together, pushing against each other while dealing with a larger narrative and common dangers. I think Lemire has the chops to do a good team book and I think Black Hammer makes a really good case for that with where it's heart lies and it's successes. Can't say I really liked X-Men much though so Lemire is definitely not infallible in this respect, I just think Black Hammer is a specific success.

House of M was one of the biggest influences for Marvel comics in the universe. That event caused a lot of problems for people that lasted for a good ten years or so. They own how to continue a story. Hell, Civil War had an impact in the greater Marvel universe for a couple of years.

Eh, it's kinda true though

House of M was itself a reversion to a time when mutants were rare

If you think killing the Ultimate Universe is all Secret Wars "meant"...did you read the story?

I mean

Finished Astro City: Lovers Quarrel. The wrap up for the Quarrel/Crackerjack arc was ok. The first half was definitely stronger then the second. But the last two issues of the were brilliant. About Sticks, a gorilla who escapes from gorilla mountain and heads to Astro City and just wants to play some music. Loved
Samaritan's cameo
too.

I mean, look at this guy.

G5FFlQH.jpg

Malyse

I still like the War of Jokes and Riddles, but more and more this is feeling like it should be a bigger event than it is. Like, this could easily be something that the entire bat family was dragged into instead on a flashback Batman is telling. Or an original novel or something.

Man, I love Clue. MAN, I love Clue.

Daredevil has such interesting ramifications. Like, if he wins this court case, the paradigm of super heroing in the Marvel Universe fundamentally shifts. It's as big a deal as the Superhero Registration Act and no other comic is talking about it.

Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe again feels like a "let's do over but make it not shit this time". This feels way more in line with the reasons why Wade is an interesting character. That being said, I see that it seems
Gwenpool
is about to have another appearance way out of character. Which I guess is okay, since this ain't canon.

We're getting a Cloak & Dagger book next year, right guys? Guys?

Doctor Strange was surprisingly hilarious. I miss Spider-Woman; she's so much fun. I think Hopeless is an underrated writer.

Harley turning out how she did makes sense with parents like hers.

So am I missing something about Plastic Man? Someone explain why everyone loses their shit about this guy. Dark Days had him and now
Injustice 2
is building up to him and I'm all like "Seriously?"

Invincible is going to end badly, isn't it?

Riri Williams is so amazing. I love her so much. She's kinda a screw up and I love her.

Sandfox

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

So Sega and Archie are officially cutting ties. Presumably signals the start of a new comic series with a different publisher sometime later this year.
That's extremely annoying because Sonic was in the middle of anniversary story arcs that will now never finish and the dozens of issues won't be collected. I'm guessing IDW or Boom will jump on it, which means we'll actually get sales, discounts, no delays, and trades in a timely manner.

Archie is a garbage publisher and it will be interesting to see what happens when the Riverdale relaunch dies like it already seems to be.

Messi

That's extremely annoying because Sonic was in the middle of anniversary story arcs that will now never finish and the dozens of issues won't be collected. I'm guessing IDW or Boom will jump on it, which means we'll actually get sales, discounts, no delays, and trades in a timely manner.

Archie is a garbage publisher and it will be interesting to see what happens when the Riverdale relaunch dies like it already seems to be.

You can look forward to boom soliciting multiple issues and then cancelling them to be sold as a trade a some undetermined point in the future. Also paying their creators peanuts.

But hey...positive news!

Sandfox

You can look forward to boom soliciting multiple issues and then cancelling them to be sold as a trade a some undetermined point in the future. Also paying their creators peanuts.

But hey...positive news!
That's better than what Archie was doing. I think there's a higher chance IDW gets it though.

Malyse

So... that Riri becoming evil theory might not be as far off as I thought. Also, I normally don't take screens of digital comics, but this face, I just, Mera remains one of my favorite super heroes
cVSCqAm.png
This could be a thing, but I doubt it. She's a screw up not a villain.
What ended up happening?
They start off with Betty flatlining, cut to everyone remembering moments that show us why she's the best and why she's such a lovable character, and finish up with her paralyzed from the waist down.

I was like, oh.

----

Why am I still reading Kim Reaper? It's an okay I guess book, but I think I'm dropping it.

What the fuck is happening in Luke Cage?! This is one crazy ride and I'm loving it.

I don't think there's a person in comics who hates Trump more than G. Willow Wilson. She's fantastic and Ms. Marvel is such an important comic. Also, this arc actually feels like it's leading to Secret Empire. If every comic could have led to the event this deftly, we would be having a different conversation altogether. Anyone else think Discord is
Bruno
?

Tom King tweeted this.

Very cool!

Rewatched The Shape Of Water trailer, I think this one was a little dif, maybe an international version or something. Haha damn I'll cop that there's more similarities I noticed on second viewing lol. I noticed the classical music the first time, but the rotten eggs were totally a GDT Abe thing, and just the general needing water to survive (none of those are things in the comics lol). It is a little nuts haha GDT really wanted that Doug Jones Fishman movie I guess and couldn't help but bring some of his old favourites over.

Malyse

Mera's a superhero?
Riri is.
Oh yeah, there is a new Clue comic going on. The two issues released had been pretty good?
I love it. It's exactly as weird and meta as you want it to be.
Thank you. Right. Some people really want to assume the worst of someone when they make a thread. I wasn't looking for a fight.

Thank you.
Blue Reflection has been on my wishlist forever, but as I've said before, it seems that game is doing everything it can to put me off buying it. I fucking love magical girl stuff, but I'm 100% against pandering to pedophiles in training. The bath scenes were my first tip that this game was probably not what I wanted it to be and the DLC was the last straw. While it's not in the game proper, the fact that it exists at all is showing who they think their audience is.

The dumbest part? They could have easily made Sailor Moon outfit DLC, and Madoka outfit DLC, and Precure outfit DLC and made as much if not more money, because there are Sailor Moon fans who would consider buying the game for that alone. At the very least it would have boosted the game's profile significantly.

So am I missing something about Plastic Man? Someone explain why everyone loses their shit about this guy. Dark Days had him and now
Injustice 2
is building up to him and I'm all like "Seriously?"

I thought Injustice annual year 4 was amazing. Taylor did a great job with him so I'm looking forward to more.

Secret Empire is so schlocky, I love it soooo much!

This week had amazing moments my fave when
Hawkeye accepting to be crushed by zombie Hulk.Javing the Thing show up was the best.

Ulimates 2 this week was god tier cosmic Marvel, so much happened. The Maker fucking
broke the multiverse, and now there is only one universe. All the earths are in the same universe. I don’t know how this can stick, but this plot has been in the works for 2 years now and referenced outside of Ultimates, so I think it can stick.

wtf

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
They start off with Betty flatlining, cut to everyone remembering moments that show us why she's the best and why she's such a lovable character, and finish up with her paralyzed from the waist down.

I was like, oh.

Huh.

I stopped reading around when Cheryl Blossom showed up, but that is interesting.

Top Bottom