• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
U7Ghu2s.gif

Don't worry, GH. I thought your joke was funny.

Drayco21

I can't remember the last time reading actually made me cheer. On one hand, I would have actually liked it if Prowl had been redeemed by the power of friendship last week, but having him still be Prowl and finally having him get blown the fuck out has been a long time coming, and feels so great.

Looking forward to this week's Secret Wars books, but starting with Transformers ended up being a great decision.

tim1138

God dammit Jason Aaron, one issue in and you killed my desire to read Thors.

RIP Beta Ray Bill, you were the greatest

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That thing about Image PR telling them (Murphy/Remender) to announce Tokyo Ghost a year before it launched when no pages were even done is super-telling and all of a sudden the Image Expo no-shows make complete sense.
Indeed. As he says, it's rather interesting the ways Image can bounce back-and-forth between being just a distributor and also a publisher with other concerns. Who is that helping? Doesn't seem like it'd help the individuals involved with the announcements much, but might serve to make Image seem more immediately 'hot' and attract more people to bring their books there. That's good for Image, but should the creators really have to deal with that? And is it even necessary for Image? If they shortened the time between announcements and debuts, Image would still have a consistent stream of new books to showcase.

Vito

Banned
He's certainly frank about a lot of things.

I should probably check out Punk Rock Jesus, I love Murphy's art and he has a great approach to the industry.

I don't know much about comics so I found it all really educational, mostly cause the majority of comics news sites seem to be PR recyclers and controversy generators. I already liked Murphy from what I read on his blog, since he was pretty open about the financial side of it all.

Hope the guy who started this website will have more interesting guests and articles on the industry that end up being educational and give an insight to how it all works. Personally I feel it gives me better appreciation for the works as a whole, knowing how much goes into making a title happen.

It's nice to see you can have insights into the industry without giant tabloid headlines and people making a scene on twitter.

Personally I really liked PRJ, but I'm used to black and white art from manga, plus I'm a cheap whore for the guy's artwork.

speaking of tumblr art, I also grabbed a new TMNT one-shot and The Fiction solely because they looked good. I hope I can go into Casey & April without having read anything past the first volume of IDW TMNT

speaking of tumblr art, I also grabbed a new TMNT one-shot and The Fiction solely because they looked good. I hope I can go into Casey & April without having read anything past the first volume of IDW TMNT

I was looking at that.

Empty Zone #1 ended up being my impulse-buy today.

Comiiiiics!

Read:

Robin, Son of Batman
Black Canary
Martian Manhunter
Dr. Fate

Think I liked Black Canary the most. Great, if occasionally all-over-the-place, art, interesting premise, interesting cast. Wonder what's up with the little girl?

Martian Manhunter was really out there. Loved the art (and Jonn's new costume is a triumph of the New 52, seriously), but as ever, the horror themes are a little offputting. Definitely agree that he's actually
Mr. Biscuit.
Martians are shaping up into a terrifying enemy.

Dr. Fate was a solid book, if a bit overly dense. It did, however, annoy the hell out of me with the theme park take on Egyptian Mythology; Anubis is more of reaper figure (if that) than any remotely evil entity. All sorts of Everbody Hates Hades up in here. Personal pet peeve, I guess you could say. Looking forward to where this goes next, though, especially if they can iron out the mythology stuff.

Robin, Son of Batman won the prize for best art (from new books I have read this week). The writing seems decent as well, though (again) very heavy on setup. The Year of Blood is a solid plot device, gives a great excuse for Knight Errant Damian to run around doing Knight Erranty things. Looking forward to seeing how Nobody's Daughter plays into this.

BTW, how's Cyborg? Forgot to pick it up when it came out.

God dammit Jason Aaron, one issue in and you killed my desire to read Thors.

RIP Beta Ray Bill, you were the greatest
I wasn't planning on reading that but I got spoiled :/
I love Bill, why not another Thor??
is black canary worth reading?

i'm a sucker for this cornball tumblr art.
I enjoyed the first issue. Wu drawing a rock band is pretty perfect.
Tumblr being used as a way to describe things never sits well with me for some reason.
Same kinda. I love tumblr though, as some of you guys can probably guess lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why is Optimus punching the shit out of Prowl?

or is that Ratchet?

Stan Sakai is brilliant. Usagi is in my top 10 of all time. I'm loving Senso.

I picked up the volume because the cover mentioned a foreword by Busiek and the art looked interesting. While the art is definitely great, the characters and setting introduced have been amazing too. (Especially Inazuma)

i AM VERy behind on that series but what I remember of reading it was fantastic. Def. get the rest of the series =)

Ordered the second and third omnibus. Unfortunately I missed out on the first one, will get the paperback.

tim1138

I wasn't planning on reading that but I got spoiled :/
I love Bill, why not another Thor??

I enjoyed the first issue. Wu drawing a rock band is pretty perfect.

Same kinda. I love tumblr though, as some of you guys can probably guess lol

Because Aaron hates us

Drayco21

why is Optimus punching the shit out of Prowl?

or is that Ratchet?

It's Prowl.

He's a sociopathic, manipulating asshole who's become just as bad as the worst Decepticons he signed on to fight, and he just shit on Optimus' power of friendship offer while claiming that they should let Cybertron and all of it's people die. He's had a good punch in the face coming for a while now.

IDW Transformers have gotten so damn good lately.

Zombine

Banned
I picked up the volume because the cover mentioned a foreword by Busiek and the art looked interesting. While the art is definitely great, the characters and setting introduced have been amazing too. (Especially Inazuma)

I think that one of the strengths of this book is that it isn't Tumblr Shite™. I love how humble and talented
Stan Sakai is, and how he has re-interpreted historic events with his characters. He's right up there with Terry Moore in my opinion.

Inazuma though...freaking badass.

Because it'll get me a trophy. I live for trophies.

I finally pre-ordered Prison Schools on Amazon because I am an ass man.

I think that one of the strengths of this book is that it isn't Tumblr Shite™. I love how humble
Stan Sakai is. He's right up there with Terry Moore in my opinion. Inazuma though...freaking badass.

I finally pre-ordered Prison Schools on Amazon because I am an ass man.

Fine choice. GOAT manga tbh.

And I've never read Usagi Yojimbo but Stan Sakai seemed like such a nice guy at Comic-Con when my friends and I stopped by his booth. Lots of respect for him and it was heartbreaking to hear about his wife.

Top Bottom