• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

But can't you... DELETE some old comics to make room for MORE comics?

yes..but i like having at least one issue per series downloaded so i don't forget i own them and can browse through them easier than the cloud list dealy. I-i own a lot of them.

Some stems from how CMX used to be where it was real troublesome finding things you owned if they weren't downloaded. But i also like not worrying about space

Edit: Don't go for 16gb ipad. The OS it self shaves off a couple gigs. It'll be burned up fast

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, when it comes to packaging, IST doesn't fuck around.

tDGV1Mx.jpg

I can't remember the last time reading actually made me cheer. On one hand, I would have actually liked it if Prowl had been redeemed by the power of friendship last week, but having him still be Prowl and finally having him get blown the fuck out has been a long time coming, and feels so great.

Looking forward to this week's Secret Wars books, but starting with Transformers ended up being a great decision.
Everytime pages of that book get posted, I keep meaning to pick up a hardcover (are there hardcovers?) and then I don't. Because they look sick. That's Robots in Disguise, right?
God dammit Jason Aaron, one issue in and you killed my desire to read Thors.

RIP Beta Ray Bill, you were the greatest
GcHo5jR.gif

It's Prowl.

He's a sociopathic, manipulating asshole who's become just as bad as the worst Decepticons he signed on to fight, and he just shit on Optimus' power of friendship offer while claiming that they should let Cybertron and all of it's people die. He's had a good punch in the face coming for a while now.

IDW Transformers have gotten so damn good lately.
tumblr_mie642U7zn1rb9rueo1_250.gif

Vyer

I'm not as caught up on Robots in Disguise (now just 'Transformers' if I understand correctly), but More Than Meets The Eye is fantastic. Honestly one of the best books I pick up.

I sold my laptop to my dad for $500. So that's what I have to spend. I can get a 16 GB Air 2 or a 32 GB Air for around the same price.

Tough one. Keep in mind too that iPads usually release in October, at which point the Air 2 will be cheaper.

iPads also have pretty good resale value. There's a chance too the new ones might not start at 16 Gus, but who knows....

And now that I've typed all that I realize I'm probably not helping you at all.... :(

Will they deliver it on time though?

JC forgot to mention the kid will be 17 and will be driving the delivery truck.

Did anyone get Mad Max: Furiosa?

If it had come out closer to the movie when my hype was at maximum I totally would have.

i did. i'm more just getting these issues to collect them. i don't want to read them (no disrespect to the writers or artists) because i think the sparse backstory and filling in the blanks details for the movie worked really well, and i don't want to spoil that

plus my hype will be at maximum for this movie for life.

I'm not as caught up on Robots in Disguise (now just 'Transformers' if I understand correctly), but More Than Meets The Eye is fantastic. Honestly one of the best books I pick up.
Maybe More Than Meets the Eye is what I'm thinking of...

Goddamnit I'm so confused.

Drayco21

Everytime pages of that book get posted, I keep meaning to pick up a hardcover (are there hardcovers?) and then I don't. Because they look sick. That's Robots in Disguise, right?

It's from Robots in Disguise (which is just called The Transformers now, because the new cartoon is also called "Robots in Disguise"). The story plays out over the course of it, More Than Meets the Eye and Windblade, so it can be kinda hard to break into it at first, and it took me a while to get acclimated to it at first. All three are great; MTMTE has been the better book in my opinion, but overall I've loved pretty much everything I've read since getting over the initial hurdle of trying to figure out where and how to start.

I'm pretty sure there's both hardcovers and box set collections.

It's from Robots in Disguise (which is just called The Transformers now, because the new cartoon is also called "Robots in Disguise"). The story plays out over the course of it, More Than Meets the Eye and Windblade, so it can be kinda hard to break into it at first, and it took me a while to get acclimated to it at first. All three are great; MTMTE has been the better book in my opinion, but overall I've loved pretty much everything I've read since getting over the initial hurdle of trying to figure out where and how to start.

I'm pretty sure there's both hardcovers and box set collections.

If I just read RiD, would that suffice? Or would I need to also read MTMtE and Windblade in order to get a full understanding?

ANNIHILATOR #6 IS DELAYED

god damn it

Damn! I just recently read #1-5 thinking #6 would be soon...

I loved the first arc of Low. Hopefully the next is as good. I really dig the art in this book.
Yeah I enjoyed LOW a lot,, art did grow on me.
Honestly I kinda forgot about this book,, it took a little break or something right?
Looks like I may just get the Vol 2 TPB.

when your next child is about to be born, get IST to deliver it instead of the local hospital, it'll be in safer hands

LOL

Bloodember

If I just read RiD, would that suffice? Or would I need to also read MTMtE and Windblade in order to get a full understanding?

In most cases it will suffice, but they do have crossovers, combiner wars ends this month, I think (crossover with Windblade). But all three books are very good, MTMTE is really good.

frye, you weren't kidding about It Was The War Of The Trenches. It is brilliant. I haven't gotten too far into it but it looks like it will be up there with Paths of Glory and All Quiet... (book and movie) for me.

I sold my laptop to my dad for $500. So that's what I
have to spend. I can get a 16 GB Air 2 or a 32 GB Air for around the same price.

Air 2 because of future updates and better resale value.

Refurbished Air 2 16 GB from the Apple Store would be my choice. $420. Or Refurbished 64 GB Air 2. $509.

Zombine

Banned
Wow, when it comes to packaging, IST doesn't fuck around.

You're eventually going to get annoyed though. Trying to get rid of all of those peanuts is awful, and it's even worse when you get what's in the "bottom of the barrel" like I did when I got Transmetropolitan and they throw a bunch of flakes in there. Great packaging, a pain in the ass if you shop online a lot.

Messi

I know you all warned me but I'm probably going with the 16 GB Air 2. I'll just suffer with the rest of you. I'm forced to be cheap.

Just beware 16 GB on am iPad is actually 12gigs without anything installed. All of us with it regret it and if I could go back in would wait and save to get more space.

Think I'll pick up Thors when I've finished at work. Sounds pretty fun.

As a DC noob, I was wondering why is there a Justice League book and a Justice League of America book? Don't they basically have the same team members?

As a DC noob, I was wondering why is there a Justice League book and a Justice League of America book? Don't they basically have the same team members?

To sell more books.

Sometimes it's the same team and sometimes there are differences. The JLA is usually the main group. In this case I think it's just to differentiate it from the regular Justice League title.

To sell more books.

Really though it's something that is on flux. Sometimes it's the same team sometimes there are differences. The JLA is usually the main group. In this case I think it's just to differentiate it from the regular Justice League title.

Ah OK. I might pick up the first issue to see if it's any good.

Tizoc

RiD is OK, but MTMTE is the best TF book in years, so much characterization and emotions.

Suggested reading order is
MTMTE Vol. 1
RiD Vol. 1

Then work your way from up there. Really hope you enjoy it, but be advised that sometimes the art will not be very appealing, heck there are artists that I wish don't want to see on the books :/ If you look past the art you can still enjoy the comic.

Case in point, consider that Rodimus is the future leader of the Autobots (after Optimus)
Ys6YzU3.jpg

Yes he did make a spacecraft modeled after his head

I keep thinking KSBD can't top itself visually, then it tops itself.

What's this comic again?

why is Optimus punching the shit out of Prowl?

or is that Ratchet?

Read the damn series.
Expand beyond Marvel.

Long and short of it is that Prowl's been a jackass being all covert and Prime had enough of his shit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Why would you purchase a tablet without an SD slot? The mind boggles.

because the iPad has better app support & resale value than similar Android tablets?

people have different needs, so they buy different products. it's not that hard to grasp.

Mindwipe

Generally speaking MTMTE and RID keep pretty separate. There's a crossover 5 trades in to both books for a twelve issue event, but you could certainly read the start of either series and get a feel for if you like it without needing the other.

Windblade is pretty necessary to understand RID later on IMO, but there's only a four issue miniseries and the new issues tying into the Combiner Wars event that's happening now, many years in.

You're eventually going to get annoyed though. Trying to get rid of all of those peanuts is awful, and it's even worse when you get what's in the "bottom of the barrel" like I did when I got Transmetropolitan and they throw a bunch of flakes in there. Great packaging, a pain in the ass if you shop online a lot.

No kidding. The amount of trash generated by my IST orders is a bit staggering.

Zombine

Banned
No kidding. The amount of trash generated by my IST orders is a bit staggering.

I know it sounds horrible complaining about good customer service, but from an environmental standpoint they seem to be using too much paper. Yes, they are using recycled plastic for the peanuts and foam packing, but a lot of local recycling companies won't accept them, and they end up in the garbage.

Ah OK. I might pick up the first issue to see if it's any good.

I recommend that you do. I just read it and I was very pleasantly surprised. I have been relatively disappointed every time I picked up a Justice League book since the beginning of the new 52 but this was refreshing since the characters were actually likeable !

I bought it for Bryan Hitch's art (which is as good as you'd expect) but I wasn't sure about his writing abilities. I don't know how good this story will end up being but this is pretty solid first issue with some excellent action and also some fun character moments. Hopefully, the next few issues will come out on time...

because the iPad has better app support & resale value than similar Android tablets?

people have different needs, so they buy different products. it's not that hard to grasp.

Ain't 2012, mate. As for resale value, you might as well factor how much you'll save buying an used droid tablet. Or a brand new whatever droid.

Tbh off-brand chinese tablets are very hard to beat in the cost-benefit side of things.

But you're correct, people have different needs, which is why, if they worried about storage, they should avoid apple like the plague.

kmfdmpig

For mostly just comic reading and web browsing, what would be the difference between and IPad Air and Air 2?

If those are the only uses did you consider a Galaxy Tab S? It's obviously quite different, but for comics it has some advantages:
Bigger/higher res screen
closer aspect ratio to a comic page (some like that, but others rightfully point out it makes the splash pages less ideal.
SD slot (making comic storage cheap)
and it's less than $400. It's slower than an Air 2 and not as well made, but it's still pretty fast.

If you want to do gaming though the iPad would certainly be a better option.

This is the thread that led me to buy a Tab S, and I've been quite happy with the decision:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895073

Top Bottom