• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Mudcrab

Ok so whoever had the idea to make the Thors comic a police procedural is a genius

It's so good.
Douchebag Rune Thor, The Old Thor commish, Throg's forensics job and Loki as a snitch are such great ideas.

The quality of these event tie-ins (mostly) continue to impress.

I recommend that you do. I just read it and I was very pleasantly surprised. I have been relatively disappointed every time I picked up a Justice League book since the beginning of the new 52 but this was refreshing since the characters were actually likeable !

I bought it for Bryan Hitch's art (which is as good as you'd expect) but I wasn't sure about his writing abilities. I don't know how good this story will end up being but this is pretty solid first issue with some excellent action and also some fun character moments. Hopefully, the next few issues will come out on time...
According to Hitch, he's been drawing JLA for the last year and has 14 issues already drawn. At least if I remember correctly.

kmfdmpig

I've gotten used to just rotating the mini pretty seamlessly. I'll never give up my fit to width!!!!

I used to do that with smaller tablets as well. With a 7-8 inch tablet it's a good compromise to have a larger view with extra scrolling.

For bigger screens I prefer just sticking to portrait.

Sams Club had the IPad Air 2 16 GB for $472. I see why your saying you regret it now though. Comics become HD on a tablet and our double the size than when you download them on a phone. But I'm happy. My phone is for music and and games. This is just a couch companion for web browsing and reading comics.

I also have a few suggestions for games as well:

Hitman Go
Fallout Shelter
Hearthstone
Monument Valley

These games are stellar on iOS, and Fallout Shelfer is free.

Loved Monument Valley. Beat it and the expansion on my phone. Fallout Shelter is already downloaded at the wife's request. She is addicted already.

I know it sounds horrible complaining about good customer service, but from an environmental standpoint they seem to be using too much paper. Yes, they are using recycled plastic for the peanuts and foam packing, but a lot of local recycling companies won't accept them, and they end up in the garbage.

Yeah, I can't disagree. I get that there are only so many box sizes, but there are other padding options that are much greener.

Everything that happens in Secret Wars is super serious and will stick and there won't be any magic reset buttons.

image.php

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
You're eventually going to get annoyed though. Trying to get rid of all of those peanuts is awful, and it's even worse when you get what's in the "bottom of the barrel" like I did when I got Transmetropolitan and they throw a bunch of flakes in there. Great packaging, a pain in the ass if you shop online a lot.

I can see that. It was a bit much. I'm mostly digital, though.

So jealous! Need more pics of the inside of that book!

It's delicious, so much Kirby Krackle.

Interesting interview with Simonson.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...still-hasnt-figured-out-comics-but-hes-trying

This was right at the beginning of the time that Marvel editorial was starting to have more input about stories. When I'm doing stories, I like to play a long game. It's one of the reasons I'm not fit for the current superhero stuff, because there are so many crossovers and so much stuff comes down from up top. It's hard to plan long story arcs and have them reach fulfillment without a lot of interruptions. "Avengers" was the first time I ran into that. I would be doing a three-issue story and I'd be told in the middle of it, "This month Thor is not on Earth so you can't use him in 'The Avengers'" -- and I'd be in the middle of my story. That was a fictitious example; that's not one of the ones that actually happened, but that's what I ran into.

I'm always amused by the discussions I see about new coloring vs old on existing material like the "Thor Omnibus." Whether you like the old coloring better or new coloring, one of the things I never see in those discussions is an awareness of how much more of the art can be seen in the modern edition that you can't see in the old printing. The blacks are solid, and linework that dropped out is now clearly visible. I do understand that it's possible to screw up work now in a way that was never possible in the old days. It used to be really hard to screw up a job with bad coloring. You could do it, but mostly, if the artwork was decent, it came out okay. In the computer era, where you've got millions of colors and all kinds of saturations and hues and values, you can really do some damage if you don't have a good colorist working on it. I've been fortunate -- I've been able to work with some people who have all done very well by my work, but so much more of my work is visible now as well. It just cracks me up when I read these hyperbolic discussions about how terrible the new coloring is. I mean, maybe, but now I can see the guy's work that I never saw before. It's just a new balance that needs to be achieved between the black and white art and the color.

Top Bottom