• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Zombine

Banned
I legit got a meatball sub from there on Sunday, and I opened it and it was maybe 5 inches. The Italian Herb & Cheese roll shrunk down to like a hotdog roll and it looked hilarious.

MG310

tumblr_inline_n8sr5t1bv61rufygp.gif

This but with eyes.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hmmmmm. I might quit Banana Republic tonight.

My priorities have shifted in a good way and I'm starting to value actually doing stuff rather than making money. Even though I actually kind of like working at Banana Republic and the money is just an added bonus, there are still things I'd rather be doing.

This could mean actual time for reading comics. :O

Tizoc

Who cares?

See this si the problem with you Messi: You don't appreciate the good old comics.
You gotta expand your viewpoint kiddo.

Also what re-numbering? I mean Mahvel's been doing it for years, I dislike it as much as the next uy but what you gonna do? Just deal with it :/

Wait, they don't have the Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn special edition issue. God dammit Marvel/CMX

Ha! I just asked them for it. Another dude emailed me this morning. They're being very forthcoming about the problems with the launch. It even sounded like the SD uploads were supposed to be HD. Pledged to fix everything I groused about, so I'd recommend everyone reach out to Support with any issues.

tim1138

Ha! I just asked them for it. Another dude emailed me this morning. They're being very forthcoming about the problems with the launch. It even sounded like the SD uploads were supposed to be HD. Pledged to fix everything I groused about, so I'd recommend everyone reach out to Support with any issues.

As much as we can gripe about some of their decisions, CMX Support is legit good. Back in the early days of day and date digital releases there was always something breaking and they were great about responding and getting stuff fixed. I've been buying stuff from them for over four years now and whenever something has come up their support is prompt about getting it corrected.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
yeah "quit" Banana Republic

dat delayed firing to build suspense smh

Another reason I need to quit one of my jobs. All y'all keep getting my two jobs mixed up. Banana Republic is the one I'm totally safe at. My full-time website job is the sketchy one.

Another reason I need to quit one of my jobs. All y'all keep getting my two jobs mixed up. Banana Republic is the one I'm totally safe at. My full-time website job is the sketchy one.

wow so you're about to be fired from both jobs AND your girl got stolen

get it together Kipp

Messi

I've no doubt big issue numbers scare off new potential readers. I wouldn't jump into an x-men book that is 200 issues in. I know I am not alone.

Some of the comments from the Newsarama Spider-Gwen #1 relaunch thread, lol

A relaunch after only 5 issues? Really?

Well it had all that history that was making it inaccessible.

Also from the interview, lol

"The aim with this first couple of issues is to give folks who are new an entry point into Gwen’s world but to also fill in a little back story for people who’ve been with us awhile," said Latour.

Lol.

Zombine

Banned
I've no doubt big issue numbers scare off new potential readers. I wouldn't jump into an x-men book that is 200 issues in. I know I am not alone.

Man 100,200,300 Ect are all milestones and new arcs. It would be more impressive if a new reader just decided to jump in on issue 216.

Messi

Man 100,200,300 Ect are all milestones and new arcs. It would be more impressive if a new reader just decided to jump in on issue 216.

I wouldn't jump in at 216 feeling like I would have to read the other 215.

The only reason I came back to comics was because new 52 happened and #1d loads of books.

I don't disagree. Splitting arcs/runs that can stand alone into individual volumes (or whatever you want to call them) makes sense. I think an additional change is to make volume more important instead of largely being hidden. Make it both easy to tell when it's a good time to pick things up and make it easy to indicate which issue #1 you're talking about.

I wouldn't jump in at 216 feeling like I would have to read the other 215.

The only reason I came back to comics was because new 52 happened and #1d loads of books.

But 20 volumes of #1-10s that are a continuous storyline would be something you'd be down for? You'd hop on at Volume 21, issue #1 and ignore the previous 20 volumes?

That's what I did back in the day, my first X-Men comic was from the middle of Claremont and Byrne's run and I just went with it. (please mind spelling)

Messi

But 20 volumes of #1-10s that are a continuous storyline would be something you'd be down for? You'd hop on at Volume 21, issue #1 and ignore the previous 20 volumes?

There is a middle ground to be had. It makes sense to #1 Captain Marvel. Kelly sue is gone and it gives the new writer a clean slate. I am all for new #1s with what is happening in Secret Wars.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just read a sample issue of Mind Mgmt and really, really liked it! I just don't know if I can handle one more series to read lol.

Luckily my birthday is in a few weeks and I casually dropped a hint to my girlfriend that Google Play credit is always acceptable.

See, that's the thing. I can do this, you can do this, a lot of serious comic readers can do this, but many people can't and won't. And most people, understandably, prefer to start with wherever the arc or run began. Yeah, you can easily get back issues/trades, but only if you know when the starting point you want actually is (Well, less important for trades but still). Why can't that just be issue #1?

High comic issues are a bit of a legacy of where you'd either have people on books for years and years or the writing/art jobs would fluctuate super often. Stories were often one-shot or a couple issues or at least that's how people tended to view things.

See, that's the thing. I can do this, you can do this, a lot of serious comic readers can do this, but many people can't and won't. And most people, understandably, prefer to start with wherever the arc or run began. Yeah, you can easily get back issues/trades, but only if you know when the starting point you want actually is (Well, less important for trades but still). Why can't that just be issue #1?

I want to start reading a book, I just start. That's what recap pages are for, yo.

High comic issues are a bit of a legacy of where you'd either have people on books for years and years or the writing/art jobs would fluctuate super often. Stories were often one-shot or a couple issues or at least that's how people tended to view things.

Why even number it at all? Just go magazine style, month and year.

Top Bottom