• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Cheska

my dog has cancer

i feel hollow

Oh man, I'm so sorry :( do you know what kind? Not all of them are malignant, and sometimes there's affordable, curative solutions.

I work in the vet industry, let me know if you have any questions or if you just need someone to talk to!

fauxtrot

Banned
When are the new solicits out? I'm wondering if we're gonna get a Marvel announcement pretty much every day until then letting us know about their new #1s and creative teams... I kinda love that idea, even if a lot of them will probably end up being a snooze (like the inevitable Bendis still on GotG and Slott still on ASM).

When are the new solicits out? I'm wondering if we're gonna get a Marvel announcement pretty much every day until then letting us know about their new #1s and creative teams... I kinda love that idea, even if a lot of them will probably end up being a snooze (like the inevitable Bendis still on GotG and Slott still on ASM).

Please no to both of those things

July 1st is when the magazine detailing their whole line-up shows up

but much like how they plan to spread out the releases instead of just releasing them all once, they'll probably use every weekday until July 1st giving personal interviews over some of their bigger launches

Mindwipe

I own the a few trades and...eh...

My problem with the series is that Burnham is unnecessarily beholden to the movies. Almost every page (in the first 8 issues) has a reference to something that happened in the movies instead of the story having its own comedy beats or character moments. Yeah, I love the movies too, but I don't need to be constantly reminded why. I bought a Ghostbuster comic, the hard sell is already done, bruh. As well, most of the stories just end rather than have endings.

That said, the art is fabulous.

Has any of the UK Ghostbusters stuff from the eighties ever been traded up? I used to love that book when I was a kid. It was probably one of the best UK comics on the stands other than Transformers UK.

Calcium

Banned
Yeah, I'm like 80% sure my wallet is currently in the washing machine. Oops.

On the upside, I am really loving Waids' Daredevil.

I dunno. Being able to say fuck it I'm putting the Batmobile on the roof and if you have a problem with that get over it I'm Batman is kind of awesome.

I really hate the Batmobile segments. I hope there aren't too many of them in the game.

on the upside, glad you're enjoying DD

on the flipside, what if I told you Arkham Knight is like 40% Batmobile

Its like that one friend who bought a hugely expensive phone, and has to loudly announce he's using it despite how inconvenient is to his lifestyle but he doesn't want to admit that

"HEY LET ME OPEN THIS DOOR WITH THIS NEW FEATURE ON MY PHONE"
"or we can use our hands it would take 3 sec--"
"NOPE ALREADY DOING IT THIS IS WAY BETTER!"

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Guys...the Batmobile controls like absolute shit.

I only played briefly last night, and the controls sometimes clicked for me, but it sounds like it's way better to swap the controls for the Batmobile in the options. Sounds like that makes it a lot more intuitive.

Messi

Dawwww

lliqhrU.jpeg

That might be my favorite Ally outfit.

Zombine

Banned
Who to trust, Zombine or G Willow Wilson hmmm

You know what people can't comprehend? You really want to know what it is? I won't even tag this shit becaue I hate the people that are shitting on this book:

The sex he has with the women isn't pleasant. Surprise surprise. They're called fuckin breeders and he uses them while trying to convince them that the life he has provided for them in their prison is better than the life outside. The book shows how they cope with this, but it is FAR from explicit (in fact, nothing is ever shown), and it uses similar bits of Miller humor in the book. This isn't a good world. Nice things don't happen. They're mad that Furiosa is his muscle, and she keeps them in check until Joe beats one and takes it too far. Then she decides that it's time to act and it ends where the movie picks up and she sneaks them out. It was brilliant. I fucking HATE social justice warriors. Life ain't sunshine and rainbows, and this depicts that desperation wonderfully.

It's ok though, listen to the woman who is writing the most boring fuckin run of X-Men I've had the displeasure of reading in ages.

Edit: This isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at Internet bullies who are taking shit too far again to push their own agenda. I'm here to tell you that they are all bad people.

You know what people can't comprehend? You really want to know what it is? I won't even tag this shit becaue I hate the people that are shitting on this book:

The sex he has with the women isn't pleasant. Surprise surprise. They're called fuckin breeders and he uses them while trying to convince them that the life he has provided for them in their prison is better than the life outside. The book shows how they cope with this, but it is FAR from explicit (in fact, nothing is ever shown), and it uses similar bits of Millar humor in the book. This isn't a good world. Nice things don't happen. They're mad that Furiosa is his muscle, and she keeps them in check until Joe beats one and takes it too far. Then she decides that it's time to act and it ends where the movie picks up and she sneaks them out. It was brilliant. I fucking HATE social justice warriors. Life ain't sunshine and rainbows, and this depicts that desperation wonderfully.

It's ok though, listen to the woman who is writing the most boring fuckin run of X-Men I've had the displeasure of reading in ages.

Sigh. Do we really need to start this kind off thing here? OT has enough of it as it is.

Just read Martian Manhunter #1, which looked nice but felt disjointed and short and the "twist" of
J'onn being a weapon to be used against Earth in the coming invasion
isn't explained at all, and because the book's so short I'm not sure it's enough to compensate for this being another "white Martians invade Earth" story.

Next up, Prez.

Zombine

Banned
Sigh. Do we really need to start this kind off thing here? OT has enough of it as it is.

Sarah. It's a thing that exists. They're Internet bullies who are trying their hardest to spin a book to fit their agenda. I read the book. I love female lead books. I'm telling you there is a nontravercy here and that theyre full of shit.

The sex he has with the women isn't pleasant. Surprise surprise. They're called fuckin breeders and he uses them while trying to convince them that the life he has provided for them in their prison is better than the life outside. The book shows how they cope with this, but it is FAR from explicit (in fact, nothing is ever shown), and it uses similar bits of Millar humor in the book. This isn't a good world. Nice things don't happen. They're mad that Furiosa is his muscle, and she keeps them in check until Joe beats one and takes it too far. Then she decides that it's time to act and it ends where the movie picks up and she sneaks them out. It was brilliant. I fucking HATE social justice warriors. Life ain't sunshine and rainbows, and this depicts that desperation wonderfully.

Edit: This isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at Internet bullies who are taking shit too far again to push their own agenda. I'm here to tell you that they are all bad people.

Im just teasing about the quality of it. Im not gonna comment on the actual content of it because I havent read the book.

Have you read Wood's X-Men? It's ok if you dont remember reading it. No one remembers reading it. *That* is the most boring run on an X-Men title ever. Waste of Coipel's talent on that ish

Squire

Banned

The sex he has with the women isn't pleasant. Surprise surprise. They're called fuckin breeders and he uses them while trying to convince them that the life he has provided for them in their prison is better than the life outside. The book shows how they cope with this, but it is FAR from explicit (in fact, nothing is ever shown), and it uses similar bits of Miller humor in the book. This isn't a good world. Nice things don't happen. They're mad that Furiosa is his muscle, and she keeps them in check until Joe beats one and takes it too far. Then she decides that it's time to act and it ends where the movie picks up and she sneaks them out. It was brilliant. I fucking HATE social justice warriors. Life ain't sunshine and rainbows, and this depicts that desperation wonderfully.

I think it's really interesting that all Wildon really said was that she didn't like it.

I have a problem with the Furiosa comic on a purely conceptual level. Making explicit all the nasty things the movie implied just fine, boxing in your imagination about the past with boring rapey reality. It just makes everything less interesting, pushes the concept further into questionable taste and away from the blockbuster empowering thrills of the film.

Like all those pointless, nasty, nihilistic fuckin Saint of Killer origin stories. Congrats on making that character less interesting, Garth Ennis.

My opinion on the Furiosa comic is nonexistant since my comic budget has been murdered by SW. Still have the new Black Canary and some others to read including Thors #1 and Weirdworld.

But on SJW, I kinda agree with Zombine.

tim1138

I bought the first Mad Max comic but decided against picking up the rest of them. I think it makes the world more interesting when there's a sense of mystery and everything isn't explicitly laid out for you.

Zombine

Banned
I bought the first Mad Max comic but decided against picking up the rest of them. I think it makes the world more interesting when there's a sense of mystery and everything isn't explicitly laid out for you.

Completely valid and I understand completely. Whats killing me is that the people criticizing the book are the ones who don't understand the universe, the ones who didn't know that
Max's Wife and Son were murdered right in front of him.
Or the fact that in Mad Max 2 they show the savagery of Humongous' men and how one
brutally rapes and kills that one runner.
These are bad dudes. This is a fucked up world. But to read this comic and be critical of it because it adheres to this universe is kind of bullshit.

Squire

Banned
Completely valid and I understand completely. Whats killing me is that the people criticizing the book are the ones who don't understand the universe, the ones who didn't know that
Max's Wife and Son were murdered right in front of him.
Or the fact that in Mad Max 2 they show the savagery of Humongous' men and how one
brutally rapes and kills that one runner.
These are bad dudes. This is a fucked up world. But to read this comic and be critical of it because it adheres to this universe is kind of bullshit.

You could've said this to start and saved the "SJW" junk for a third-rate subreddit, honestly.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Batmobile stuff is as bad as I worried it would be, but the rest is pretty good so far. I like all the little in-jokes.

Though, a few hours in, my Batman knowledge makes it feel like the Arkham Knight can only be one person. I hope I'm surprised.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I...I don't like Guardians 3000 guys :(

I love the art but that's about it

Messi

Im just teasing about the quality of it. Im not gonna comment on the actual content of it because I havent read the book.

Have you read Wood's X-Men? It's ok if you dont remember reading it. No one remembers reading it. *That* is the most boring run on an X-Men title ever. Waste of Coipel's talent on that ish

She has done a fantastic job of continuing on the legacy of a book that is completely forgettable.

Zombine

Banned
You could've said this to start and saved the "SJW" junk for a third-rate subreddit, honestly.

Am I striking a nerve with you being critical
of a subset of individuals who are just as toxic as cyberbullies? They're just a flock of seagulls flying into a gigantic pane of glass until one of them gets through to the other side and yells "success!"

My problem isn't with people who are opinionated. My problem is with people like social justice warriors who's only goal is to reverse bully into submission.

But to read this comic and be critical of it because it adheres to this universe is kind of bullshit.

I think the main reason people are being so critical of it is because it isn't [insert the title of any comic written by Kelly Sue DeConnick]. Seriously, I love Bitch Planet to death. But not every comic is going to advocate those same views, or anything at all for that matter. Sometimes entertainment is just entertainment and it needs to be accepted as such. Not every story has a deep political message (although I'm less and less sure of that by the day, given how deeply some people read into things).

She has done a fantastic job of continuing on the legacy of a book that is completely forgettable.

haha

I think Wilson is an excellent writer but not one that always writes very exciting books. Personally, I couldn't get into Air even if it was well received at the time. Her X-Men work was never really brought up here so I totally forgot about it.

But lets be real, you're never gonna have an interesting book if it centers around vampire Jubilee.

Squire

Banned
Am I striking a nerve with you being critical
of a subset of individuals who are just as toxic as cyberbullies? They're just a flock of seagulls flying into a gigantic pane of glass until one of them gets through to the other side and yells "success!"

My problem isn't with people who are opinionated. My problem is with people like social justice warriors who's only goal is to reverse bully into submission.

I think you actually believe everything your posting right now and that infinitely saddens me. Sadder still, look at what brought it on. G. W. Wilson was disappointed in a comic. Boo-hoo. Truly.

Top Bottom