• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
100%'d Arkham Knight. I really loved it. I get why people don't like the prevalence of the Batmobile, but I didn't hate it. The thing that bugs me the most is how terrible I am at the combat, I can never get the timing right and as soon as they start throwing in the big guys or people with stun sticks I can never keep a combo going. I know what buttons I need to press, but I can never seem to get it right in the heat of the battle.

I really liked what they did with the story, it really felt like an ending to a story. I'm sure there will be another Batman game before too long but I hope that they do something different with it instead of trying to keep this universe going.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just finished up "Baltimore: The Plague Ships". Man, talk about good ol' fashioned "Grizzled badass killing a shit-ton of vampires" fun! It really sets up a neat universe that I can't wait to dig into.

wait wtf Guy Gardner is a WOMAN now??

Spoilers for JL3K1
In this future heroes have been brought back by incorporating their DNA into a host body, modifying the body to be similar to the original DNA. This doesn't change the gender of the body, however and in the new arc it seems that Guy's host body for resurrection was female. So yes, he's a woman physically, but still mentally male.

Keep in mind this is also an alternate universe.

Also it's been done before to main universe Guy during his Warrior phase.

Faiz

are we on bizarro world?!?

Lafuente is amazing and Pichelli follows then Samnee for a hot second and Marquez. Bags is seriously the weakest out of the USM artists.

And a house full of Gwen Stacy, Peter, Ice Man and Human Torch was amaaaazing

Marble head Spider-man (yeah they made a joke about it with the haircut... Still pretty round after), overall weird body proportions, Gwen looks like someone taped her eyelids down most of the time, and he struggles with portraying depth.

Seriously, I get that this is mostly subjective. But calling Bags the weakest of the USM artists. Sounds indefensible to me. Mark Bagley is one of the greats.

Yes, the gang in the same house is a great idea for an arc and makes a certain amount of sense following the Ultimate Universe events, but it's so damn hard for me to look at.

Lafuente's a better artist now, but there are still issues. Didn't love his Batman work, but it looked far more polished and professional compared to his Ult Spider-Man work.

First the Silk trade is delayed now Pfeifer's Teen Titans isn't coming out in HC when it was originally planned?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

100%'d Arkham Knight. I really loved it. I get why people don't like the prevalence of the Batmobile, but I didn't hate it. The thing that bugs me the most is how terrible I am at the combat, I can never get the timing right and as soon as they start throwing in the big guys or people with stun sticks I can never keep a combo going. I know what buttons I need to press, but I can never seem to get it right in the heat of the battle.

I really liked what they did with the story, it really felt like an ending to a story. I'm sure there will be another Batman game before too long but I hope that they do something different with it instead of trying to keep this universe going.

I can only guess you somehow overcame me at some point because I definitely got the sense I was ahead of you a few days ago. :p I'm not far from 100%-ing though.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I really enjoyed the story. It took a much more personal note than the other games. The combat gameplay is great on every level. I just can't fathom why they took out the challenge maps; I basically bought the game on the assumption there would be traditional challenge maps. Very disappointing.

Zombine

Banned
You got a fast car
I want a ticket to anywhere
Maybe we can make a deal
Maybe together we can get somewhere
Any place is better
Starting from zero got nothing to lose
Maybe we'll make something
Me myself I got nothing to prove

You got a fast car
I got a plan to get us out of here
I been working at the convenience store
Managed to save just a little bit of money
Won't have to drive too far
Just cross the border and into the city
You and I can both get jobs
And finally see what it means to be living

You got a fast car
Is it fast enough so we can fly away
We gotta make a decision
Leave tonight or live and die this way

So remember when we're driving driving in your car
Speeds so fast I felt I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm fel nice wrapped round my shoulder
And I had a feeling that I belonged
I had a feeling I could be someone, be someone, be someone

Don't you know, talking about an obsession reads like GAF postttttttttt

Tizoc

HLeZpi7.jpg

How does Frazer Irving do it?

Zombine

Banned

Combat in the batman games is incredibly forgiving. Don't button mash, because it cancels your combos.

For example, if you have a group of say...8 guys around you, that's a great opportunity to build up an awesome combo. Don't enter your commands like this:

Xxxxxxxx

But instead, after landing a hit, enter it like this

X...x...x...x in the General direction of the enemy you want to hit. Replace an X with the appropriate counter or if you're feeling fancy you can throw in some gadgets to prolong the combo. The only time you want to mash the attack button is after stunning a heavy enemy.

Faiz

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #15 - my God, Pichelli is such a breath of fresh air here. I'm not crazy about what she does layout wise, but I get where she was going with it. Prior to this, I'd only seen her later work on Guardians, which was clearly more refined, but she was already killing on this USM issue.

Also for what it's worth Lafuente was improving a lot by issue 14 - I still feel like the artist he was on issue 1 wasn't the right choice to follow Bags and Immonen, but he was clearly working on some of the flaws I found in the earlier work. Still not crazy about his stylistic choices. Breaking the rules of a medium or genre can lead to fantastic innovation, but characters that are 5 1/2 heads tall and two heads wide at the shoulders (if that) makes everything feel odd.

Tizoc

This week has been full of kickass issues

Annihilator #6
Nice finale, looking forward to the sequel when it starts =D

Daredevil 16
32469-dayum-gif-jsyZ.jpeg

Howard the Duck #4
Really liked Dr. Strange in this, but damn at that burn from Torch. Actually I can't believe how long it's been since I read an F4 book, dang.

Windblade #4
A set up issue, but it was an overall good issue IMO. Nice way of getting Prime Knock out and TF Energon characters/concepts into the series.

Sonic Universe #77
I've told myself, if there's one thing I'll get out of this crossover, it's character interactions, and I am loving it.

Transformers MTMTE #42
Fantastic issue, you could write an academic thesis about this comic, those last pages are brilliant
And yes Rodimus did indeed save the day just by being there. He just showed up and the day is saved.
I am not kidding, it actually happened.
All Rodimus did was show up.

Beast is joining the Inhumans!....for some reason]

26650636.jpg

Eight months will have passed between that monumental finale and the beginning of all Marvel's reboots — about 60 titles in all will re-start with fresh No. 1s — and something "mysterious" will have transpired in that time between the mutants and the Inhumans. Whatever it is, it will have landed Hank McCoy on the side of the royal family (something we didn't know before), as well as Johnny Storm (something we sort of did).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
...Just spent $500 at REI.
No regrets. Only excitement.

Told you. Eva bell is awesome.

Guys. I totally thought when Kipp was talking about bouldering that he was doing this thing where they break big massive rocks with hammers and pickaxes. I thought it was his job. Holy shit that is not what it is at all.

Like...the thing with Kipps ladyfriend makes SOOOOO much more sense now.

Looooooooooooooooool

One of the many questions I have to ask: What did you make of the discrepancy between me always saying how much I absolutely love bouldering and also always saying how much I absolutely hate my job?
"Damn, Kipp needs to make up his mind."

I thought that storyline ended?

I haven't really given any updates for a while cause it's been kind of anti-climactic, but basically what happened is I started to come to the conclusion that she wasn't really interested in me in that way. However, that doesn't really bother me, because we've got a really good thing going with our budding friendship, especially because my best friend and her get along super well too (they've been hanging out just them two without me even), so all three of us together is a really great time and I'd really, really hate to accidentally ruin that by trying to force something that isn't there. Not saying this in a defeatist way or anything, but I'm totally fine with how things worked out. If things ever happened to take a turn where a relationship was in the cards, I'd be up for it, but if not, that's totally all right with me too.
So yeah, there's the update.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Valiant comics and Mignoalverse are these two big things I always want to get into but am too intimidated to start.

Faiz

Windblade #4
A set up issue, but it was an overall good issue IMO. Nice way of getting Prime Knock out and TF Energon characters/concepts into the series.

Transformers MTMTE #42
Fantastic issue, you could write an academic thesis about this comic, those last pages are brilliant

And yes Rodimus did indeed save the day just by being there. He just showed up and the day is saved.
I am not kidding, it actually happened.
All Rodimus did was show up.

I've really gotta catch up here. Easily a year behind on Transformers.

So this is how the mutants die. Not with a bang but a whimper.

Mutants were Inhumans that didn't need terrigenisis all along!

Marble head Spider-man (yeah they made a joke about it with the haircut... Still pretty round after), overall weird body proportions, Gwen looks like someone taped her eyelids down most of the time, and he struggles with portraying depth.

Seriously, I get that this is mostly subjective. But calling Bags the weakest of the USM artists. Sounds indefensible to me. Mark Bagley is one of the greats.

Yes, the gang in the same house is a great idea for an arc and makes a certain amount of sense following the Ultimate Universe events, but it's so damn hard for me to look at.

Lafuente's a better artist now, but there are still issues. Didn't love his Batman work, but it looked far more polished and professional compared to his Ult Spider-Man work.
If I showed you an inked Bagley page, would you be able to tell me the difference between MJ and Gwen Stacy?

Give the man props for being super consistent and timely but he draws the exact same faces and body types over and over again.

I guess it depends on what your definition of great means. Bagley certainly helped define what Spider-Man looked like for a long time. He definitely compared favorably to many other artists in that late 90s and very early 00s but I'd have a hard time putting his work up there with artists of today while I'd have no problem with Lafuente up there

In regard to his 'weird proportions,' almost all comics artists actually have 'weird proportions.' You're just used to Bagley's since they're more common. Height = 7x head size ratios is one of the most common ones. Proportions just need to be consistent.

Lafuente was also significantly better at making Bendis's 2 page shenanigans work.

Top Bottom