• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

BreakfastGAF is the best GAF.

Hashbrowns: goddamn delicious as a side to a breakfast sandwich, not worth the time otherwise, you're better off going with additional pancakes/French toast/waffles/eggs/bacon.

Nudull

Banned
DC...#stop

Hashtag.jpg

You guys are no fun.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Started Lemire's Green Arrow. It's a lot better than anything I've seen from his Hawkeye.

The biggest thing I notice is how much nicer HD comics are than the stuff on MU. Makes the art way better.

What's the deal with the running thing at the end with the fake newscasters and Ambush Bug and Calendar Man?

Vibranium

Banned
Potato cube hashbrowns are the best, I could eat them all day.

Let's not start a breakfast civil war in a thread about comics though.

tim1138

Started Lemire's Green Arrow. It's a lot better than anything I've seen from his Hawkeye.

The biggest thing I notice is how much nicer HD comics are than the stuff on MU. Makes the art way better.

What's the deal with the running thing at the end with the fake newscasters and Ambush Bug and Calendar Man?

Some thing they used to do called Channel 52, it was supposed to let you know what was going on in other books.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Some thing they used to do called Channel 52, it was supposed to let you know what was going on in other books.

That's smart. I like that.

I also like the way that Comixology shows the variant covers at the end, you don't get those on MU. And the way they handle two page splashes is better (slight pillarboxing so that the whole thing fits as opposed to losing a bit at the bottom).

I love MU as a service, but the user interface sure could use a polish.

Zombine

Banned
I was going to buy some SGM Art, but I'm going to wait for the first issue of Tokyo Ghost to drop and buy the good pages.

Boogiepop

This statement will likely earn me some enemies, but... I really don't like hashbrowns and tater tots. Every other form of potato I love, but just... the texture in those is really not to my liking.

I try to tell new readers not to approach All Out War as an event, but as a prequel to what is going on now. That's truly all it was; just a bunch of positioning for this arc and the time skip.

In regards to the show...I love it. I used to critically analyze every little fuckin thing about it and it would drive me insane, but for cable TV it is really damn good. My girlfriend loves it as well so we get to bond over it and talk about what we think will happen next week. This past season was amazing.

Sorry I fell off in the discussion, I had to drive around some.

I actually really enjoyed All Out War. The thing is, I read the whole thing at once (that was only a few weeks ago, actually). It might affect the flow of things. I think even though they played it up as an event, it was just another arc. It felt as tense as anything that had come before, and Negan was a hell of a villain. The final showdown between him and Rick was incredible, imo.

As for the show... and I don't mean to shit in anyone's cheerios here by being a contrarian, but the show feels like it tries to have one foot in a quality drama, one foot in the comic that inspired it, and what ends up coming out is a muddled mess. I enjoyed the first season, and some select episodes (the show had some solid finales, save the last season, I'll get to that), but overall it feels middling. I respect that in order to service a larger demographic, stuff like Rick
losing his hand or Judith dying
can't really happen. I'm not criticizing the show for not being a direct adaptation, which admittedly would have been better. There are times when I'm like "oh man this is it, this is TWD I've been waiting for". But the things it adapts it does half-cocked and tries to bring some greater significance to, like the entire season on the farm or the conflict with the Governor. It results in this tiresome pacing. The entire season on the farm (yes this bears repeating); the Governor
not dying at the end of season 3, then backpedaling on that decision and giving us the payoff we wanted (the flu was actually the better storyline...)
; Beth, goddamn Beth. And even when they get into what I would consider very very close to the story of the comics, they decide to end season 5 on an underwhelming note - no climax, no teasing for next season. They end on what is essentially the exposition for the coming conflict.

As for the style, I think it's admirable that the show tries to be artsy at times, but the result is mixed. Some stuff is neat (like that shot of Rick with the light/dark Carol/Daryl contrast on either side of him), but stuff like... well, the majority of "What Happened and What’s Going On". There were times where I had no idea what the heck was going on.

Also, and this is the thing that really gets me, they ruined Andrea. She is the best and they ruined her. :(

Last... for cable tv? what the heck is that supposed to mean? lol

Cade

I finally got around to reading the new Deadpool. that dead presidents arc was pretty meh but you guys say it picks up after so i'll keep going

then I think I'm gonna read all of slott's spider-man through superior. but first I want to read back in black and one more day.

why?

cause I hate myself

Top Bottom