• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Squire

Banned
Finished Mighty Avengers. Fantastic book all the way round. That Shaft homage issue is genius and probably the best work of Greg Land's whole career. Will def start the following series soon, even though I'll have to buy most of it.

Also read Inhuman #4. Damn. That there is some stone cold politics for you. #Nuhumans #Medusa2016

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Mighty Avengers. Fantastic book all the way round. That Shaft homage issue is genius and probably the best work of Greg Land's whole career. Will def start the following series soon, even though I'll have to buy most of it.

Also read Inhuman #4. Damn. That there is some stone cold politics for you. #Nuhumans #Medusa2016

One more in the "wait Inhuman isn't the steaming pile of shit you guys said it was" club?

Squire

Banned
One more in the "wait Inhuman isn't the steaming pile of shit you guys said it was" club?

Is that what was said? I thought Inhumanity was supposed to be bad (and even that is written by Fraction, I see)?

Inhuman is dope though, regardless.

Ribic isn't great at drawing surprised faces. They're all bug eyed and O mouthed. It takes me out of the story a bit.

I forget who, but there's definitely a face in SW #2 that's supposed to be surprised and looks more like the person took a massive shart. It threw me off, too.

Is that what was said? I thought Inhumanity was supposed to be bad (and even that is written by Fraction, I see)?

Inhumanity was supposed to be written by Fraction but it was delayed and he was off. No one really knows what happened there but considering he has nothing planned with Marvel after Hawkeye ends (lol) I guess nothing good? I dunno.

It's SGM, of course they are all good :p

Tokyo Ghost looks like it could be my first spread I purchase.

It better be this cuz I would want this framed on my wall:

d375bc4b8dc9017f2a873285916cfa94.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Inhuman was panned badly over here months ago when it was about Dante (which lasted like 3 issues)

Squire

Banned
Inhuman was panned badly over here months ago when it was about Dante (which lasted like 3 issues)

The first three? If it's the first three issues that were discussed I'd argue they're really not about Dante. Whole thing feels like Medusa: Ongoing right now, honestly.

Inhumanity was supposed to be written by Fraction but it was delayed and he was off. No one really knows what happened there but considering he has nothing planned with Marvel after Hawkeye ends (lol) I guess nothing good? I dunno.

Weird. I do hope Fraction has an ANAD book lined up.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys. All caught up on Sabrina now, and about to start Afterlife with Archie. I know there's tons of comic podcasts out there, but are there any horror-centric ones around?

I love horror media, but my comics experience skips from EC collections to the new era with huge gaps in between. I'm sure I've missed lots of great shit and I'd love to have something to spend hours listening to and learning from while on walks or at the gym.

Even if there isn't a podcast on this admittedly small genre, any really great episodes of note of regular comic podcasts that focus on horror?

Thanks in advance!

Rhaknar

The first three? If it's the first three issues that were discussed I'd argue they're really not about Dante. Whole thing feels like Medusa: Ongoing right now, honestly.

The first issues, the Joe Mad ones, are most deffinately focused on Dante and the other nuhumans

Dalek

I'm trying to read Crisis on Infinite Earths for the first time-and even with a wiki at my side, I find the whole thing to be an incomprehensible mess. Is this sacrilegious or is it a common opinion? It's real work to trudge through his and I'm not sure if it's because it's from a less refined time in comics or if the book is just overstuffed with nonsense.

Owzers

I'm trying to read Crisis on Infinite Earths for the first time-and even with a wiki at my side, I find the whole thing to be an incomprehensible mess. Is this sacrilegious or is it a common opinion? It's real work to trudge through his and I'm not sure if it's because it's from a less refined time in comics or if the book is just overstuffed with nonsense.

I did the trudge, didn't really enjoy it and felt i should read it because it changed the DC Universe FOREVER. I barely remember it...

Inhuman is dope though, regardless.
Inhumanity is such a non-event of an event it hurts. Some of the issues of it are cool, but for the most part it just sort of exists.

Inhuman is dope as fuck though. I appreciate everyone getting on board. The hypest shit

Squire

Banned
The first issues, the Joe Mad ones, are most deffinately focused on Dante and the other nuhumans

I don't think "focused" is the right word. It takes more than just having a lot of scenes/dialogue to be the focus. I think they represent a fresh perspective the reader can connect with.

I think those opening issues are about what it means to be a newly born Inhuman and how Medusa is going to have to navigate that. Dante is hardly even developed. Like, he gets a suit and figures out he probably shouldn't be an asshole when he's already neutral at the absolute worst to begin with.

I really don't think the opening is about him. I thinks it's better to say it's about all of them - Inhumans in general - now that I've laid it out like that.

Rhaknar

I like the cop guy they introduced recently (and by recently I mean 7 months ago since I'm on MU time)

Vyer

Everything dies.

In all seriousness though, it's been a while for me, but which part are you struggling with? Keep in mind it was written in the early 80s.

Boogiepop

BTW, what are people's net thoughts on Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest and their importance to Guardians? Like, how important that stuff is. The Annihilation Omnibus is really out of print, and with the trades for it the first one has gotten kind of nasty as well. May try checking out my local comic shops, I don't know, could get lucky I guess. But yeah, I definitely want the Guardians Complete Collections, so how important is it that I get the rest of this stuff. And how are the two Annihilations, and do they stand seperately or only really work as two parts of a whole?

Also, now that Sonic Boom comic is dead... how was it? Worth picking up? Willing to give it a try for that Ian Flynn goodness, plus it's not like it'll be that long. Wonder how they're going to do the trades now, though...

PsychBat!

Banned
BTW, what are people's net thoughts on Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest and their importance to Guardians? Like, how important that stuff is. The Annihilation Omnibus is really out of print, and with the trades for it the first one has gotten kind of nasty as well. May try checking out my local comic shops, I don't know, could get lucky I guess. But yeah, I definitely want the Guardians Complete Collections, so how important is it that I get the rest of this stuff. And how are the two Annihilations, and do they stand seperately or only really work as two parts of a whole?

Two completely different events but they both cause massive amounts of turmoil to the galaxy. The first Annihilation is important in setting up the status quo of the cosmic side of the MU. It deals with the Annihilation Wave and it's leader, Annihilus tearing up the cosmos.
Annihilation Conquest is the next event that deals with the Phalanx
taken over by Ultron
. Star-Lord decides that enough is enough after Conquest is over, decides to form a team to combat any upcoming threats to the galaxy.

So yeah, these two events are pretty important to the formation of the Guardians. Other than being great reads.

Tizoc

Convergence Blue Beetle was written by Scott Lobodell right? That's prob. his best work yet and I don't read much Lobedell :p

For that matter, Apocalypse sure has been a jobber lately...

Boogiepop

Two completely different events but they both cause massive amounts of turmoil to the galaxy. The first Annihilation is important in setting up the status quo of the cosmic side of the MU. It deals with the Annihilation Wave and it's leader, Annihilus tearing up the cosmos.
Annihilation Conquest is the next event that deals with the Phalanx
taken over by Ultron
. Star-Lord decides that enough is enough after Conquest is over, decides to form a team to combat any upcoming threats to the galaxy.

So yeah, these two events are pretty important to the formation of the Guardians. Other than being great reads.

Right, thanks. I guess I'll see what I can do in regards to the original Annihilation and hope I can pull something together. Really is annoying that it went out of print so soon, as I was totally planning to get them together and do a big binge as an arbitrary plan, which seems to have bit me in the butt quite spectacularly.

Bii

I finally got around to reading the new Deadpool. that dead presidents arc was pretty meh but you guys say it picks up after so i'll keep going

The arc that follows the dead presidents' arc is much better but not by much. And I find it difficult to enjoy the filler issues. Felt really forced, even for a Deadpool comic. I actually just finished reading #27 and couldn't make myself read any more thereafter.

Rhaknar

Well, the happier he is, the more likely he is to return to Banner, so if the sex is bad he can go all night.

Are you saying Hulk is never happy? You can be angry and happy right?

Otherwise the character just became a lot more depressing :(

Banner is generally depicted as happy when he bests tony (not hard for him) and reed (bit rarer).

Outside of that, his heart is filled with love when near betsy.

Hulk did make Skarr that one time, and appeared to be....content?
---
Real hulk talk: still a bit miffed that the alternate earth sociopathic banner got baleeted, wished to see more banner on banner action.

Cade

The arc that follows the dead presidents' arc is much better but not by much. And I find it difficult to enjoy the filler issues. Felt really forced, even for a Deadpool comic. I actually just finished reading #27 and couldn't make myself read any more thereafter.

ouch my brain

I think this is pretty good for a Deadpool book that tries to hit between both sides of fandom: wacky mememachine Waypool and tragic anti-hero Kellypool. I'm only on #11 now though but the Superior Spider-Man issue was fun

Top Bottom