• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What about Hulk's Hulk, Kluh?

Right guys? Guys? Axis guys!

Where's everyone going? Guys...

Cade

Kluh is literally the dumbest possible thing anyone has made up even counting the fake things we make up to make comics sound dumb.

Drayco21

What about Hulk's Hulk, Kluh?

Right guys? Guys? Axis guys!

Where's everyone going? Guys...

I... thought Kluh was fine in the context of that event. I mean, I was ultimately disappointed in Axis, and Kluh was far from a standout part of it, but I thought that much was fine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I... thought Kluh was fine in the context of that event. I mean, I was ultimately disappointed in Axis, and Kluh was far from a standout part of it, but I thought that much was fine.

Get the fuck outta here Drayco now I know youre just trolling. You probably don't even like Kaine

Drayco21

Get the fuck outta here Drayco now I know youre just trolling. You probably don't even like Kaine

Pimn5MU.gif

Rhaknar

I was going to gift you a kaine costume on MH btw Drayco but there isn't one haha.

Because he's shit and irrelevant

Drayco21

I was going to gift you a kaine costume on MH btw Drayco but there isn't one haha.

Because he's shit and irrelevant

Don't worry, when he's in next year's advance pack, I'll make sure there's a nice big meal of crow for you and the rest of Marvel HeroesGAF. You'll see. You'll all see!

Wait the reason Superman changed his look is because everyone found out who he is?

According to the previews that are out there for #41,
He lost his powers and no longer registers as Kryptonian by the Fortress of Solitude, which takes back his Kryptonian uniform as a result, so he grows out a beard of sorrow and doesn't have a costume anymore.

Cade

Good lord am I tired, I just tried to type netflix.com into here. I would've made a post that was just netflix.com and you guys would have laughed at me forever like I was an old man unable to understand the internet :(

frye

So this is an interesting review of Material #1 and Kot-written comics generally, insofar as it's extremely negative, especially compared to reactions here. I like some of Kot's stuff a fair amount (Zero, Change, and Suicide Squad being the big ones) and dislike a few as well. But through every one of his comics there's something I always find very cloying, this way in which his persona seeps into his comics. Every time without exception that I read one of his books I become very conscious of the presence of a writer -- a writer who is well-versed in numerous subjects but who is also desperate for me to recognize his cleverness, a writer who is much more interested in communicating to the reader a shared set of reference points (whether that's philosophy or electronic music or literature or whatever) than exploring those references in greater detail. That review picks up on that too a little, in a fairly damning way that I'm not sure I'm all on board with, but there's some parts I think are fairly valid

rrc1594

He loses his cape and costume when
the Fortress of Solitude doesn't recognize him as Kryptonian / Kal-el for some reason and takes them back from him.

Don't worry, when he's in next year's advance pack, I'll make sure there's a nice big meal of crow for you and the rest of Marvel HeroesGAF. You'll see. You'll all see!

According to the previews that are out there for #41,
He lost his powers and no longer registers as Kryptonian by the Fortress of Solitude, which takes back his Kryptonian uniform as a result, so he grows out a beard of sorrow and doesn't have a costume anymore.

Thx. After I catchup with The Flash, I'm start reading Superman

So this is an interesting review of Material #1 and Kot-written comics generally, insofar as it's extremely negative, especially compared to reactions here. I like some of Kot's stuff a fair amount (Zero, Change, and Suicide Squad being the big ones) and dislike a few as well. But through every one of his comics there's something I always find very cloying, this way in which his persona seeps into his comics. Every time without exception that I read one of his books I become very conscious of the presence of a writer -- a writer who is well-versed in numerous subjects but who is also desperate for me to recognize his cleverness, a writer who is much more interested in communicating to the reader a shared set of reference points (whether that's philosophy or electronic music or literature or whatever) than exploring those references in greater detail. That review picks up on that too a little, in a fairly damning way that I'm not sure I'm all on board with, but there's some parts I think are fairly valid

Thanks for posting that. I was beginning to feel quite lonely in my assessment of Kot's work.

Speaking of Superman, were the pre-Lobdell issues (Wolfman/Jurgens) good?

It was Perez for the first 6 or so then Giffen/Jurgen. They aren't bad but they're just sort of there. It was all villain of the week nonsense in a sort of Siler Age throwback kind of way. I didn't mind the Lobdell stuff too much. He's so hit or miss. There are some neat concepts introduced. Rocafort on art helped alot.

Tizoc

Makes you wonder; how much stamina does a Hulk have in the sack?

No self control, probably a two pump cum chump.

Well, the happier he is, the more likely he is to return to Banner, so if the sex is bad he can go all night.

Are you saying Hulk is never happy? You can be angry and happy right?

Otherwise the character just became a lot more depressing :(

This book will answer all your questions, by Keith Giffen
large-DCD290013.jpg

To be exact
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s652/jeanixfan/1363522273130_zps97e139ea.jpg

Should be on MU service I think?

Dalek

I can definelty see this.

So are there any good fantasy comics to check out? That's the only genre I tdraw a blank on and can't think of many comics that fit the bill I've been on a fantasy kick lately after marathoning fame of thrones and catching up on the hobbit films.

Tizoc

So are there any good fantasy comics to check out? That's the only genre I tdraw a blank on and can't think of many comics that fit the bill I've been on a fantasy kick lately after marathoning fame of thrones and catching up on the hobbit films.

Rat Queens? Sorta

Ah you kids these days, you need to read some of the good old stuff!

Fantasy series off the top of my head
Orc Stain
Tellos
Demon Knights
IDW's Dungeons and Dragons comic series (1st TPB is Shadowplague)

EDIT: Also
Skullkickers
Pathfinder

ElNarez

Banned
I'm not one for hyperbole, BUT : Page 9 of Justice League #41 -it's way before Lachey so I know it's gonna be the same in all editions- is the single most beautiful page Geoff Johns has ever written. It's his "Doomed Planet". That fucking great, emotionally touching in a way only someone with his sense of populism could pull off.

edit: also, to frye: Adam Witt is a straight-up dum dum and this review was terrible, lazy "I'm not even gonna bother engaging with the work because I have those pre-conceptions about Kot as a writer that I don't want to challenge for even one second" that are so bad even the CBR forums would tell him he's an asshole

I'm not one for hyperbole, BUT : Page 9 of Justice League #41 -it's way before Lachey so I know it's gonna be the same in all editions- is the single most beautiful page Geoff Johns has ever written. It's his "Doomed Planet". That fucking great, emotionally touching in a way only someone with his sense of populism could pull off.

Seriously?

I just saw the 3 page on CMX and it was just more dumb, stupid looking (WOW does he look stupid) antogonist does something violent well explain later.

I dunno, y'all burned me on #40.

Seriously?

edit: also, to frye: Adam Witt is a straight-up dum dum and this review was terrible, lazy "I'm not even gonna bother engaging with the work because I have those pre-conceptions about Kot as a writer that I don't want to challenge for even one second" that are so bad even the CBR forums would tell him he's an asshole

Totally agree. Kot has problems, but that review was a lazing little drive by. Not even sound and fury, just signifying nothing.

Take it from me, I was once the Matt Zoller Seitz of comics criticism.

ElNarez

Banned
Seriously?

I just saw the 3 page on CMX and it was just more dumb, stupid looking (WOW does he look stupid) antogonist does something violent well explain later.

I dunno, y'all burned me on #40.

Seriously?

The rest of the book is capital D dumb, in that perfect Johnsian way where no matter what you have to see what's next because what just happened was OFF THE CHAIN CRAZY. It's got DC's hot new crazy invincible character that can just straight up merc the Justice League, one per page, because of reasons. It's got twists coming out of nowhere you just have to see to believe.

But that page, man. Most beautiful thing.

e: okay there linked for your benefit

The rest of the book is capital D dumb, in that perfect Johnsian way where no matter what you have to see what's next because what just happened was OFF THE CHAIN CRAZY. It's got DC's hot new crazy invincible character that can just straight up merc the Justice League, one per page, because of reasons. It's got twists coming out of nowhere you just have to see to believe.

Well shit. Bought it anyway.

EDIT: That little Shazam moment. That's the Johns I remember.

Zombine

Banned
Kot will continue to try to impress me with his big words and Karl Marx quotes, but In reality all he's gotta do is talk to me about American Ninja Warrior.

Yo you're getting me hyped.

Top Bottom