• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Cheebo

Banned
So are there any good fantasy comics to check out? That's the only genre I tdraw a blank on and can't think of many comics that fit the bill I've been on a fantasy kick lately after marathoning fame of thrones and catching up on the hobbit films.

RatQueens_10-1.png

skullkickers16_cover-art.jpg

orcstain.jpg

Image is your best friend when it comes to this kind of material.

ElNarez

Banned
OH GOD DAMNIT GILLEN

YOU GOT YOUR GODDAMN TV SHOW YOU CAN'T LET US BE HAPPY FOR ONCE

FUCK

GOD DAMNIT

(wicked + divine #11, out today, get it)

So are there any good fantasy comics to check out? That's the only genre I tdraw a blank on and can't think of many comics that fit the bill I've been on a fantasy kick lately after marathoning fame of thrones and catching up on the hobbit films.

It's a manga but you should read Wolfsmund. It's good wholesome fantasy.

tim1138

Midnighter was everything I was hoping it would be. The Omega Men was solid as well, albeit with a fairly predictable last page "surprise".

How has Justice League been overall? I read the first trade and it was pretty enjoyable.

First few arcs suck the big one. Around the time of Throne of Atlantis is starts improving, Trinity War/Forever Evil was good and since then it's been pretty consistently good. The new story arc seems to be a return to form for Geoff Johns so far.

Tizoc

Berserk, Wolfsmund, and Vagabond are the trinity of books that cross over into comic world. Everyone should give at least one of those books a shot.

Is the last page a Twix ad?

I was thinking of having a Twix.
I had Bounty instead
bounty%20bar-2.jpg

I really should read Vagabound though =_=

Oh and while I'm at it, read Otoyomegatari/Bride's Tale you ignoramuses!
Cof7cD4.jpg

AKA in some countries :V

Ah you kids these days, you need to read some of the good old stuff!

Fantasy series off the top of my head
Orc Stain
Tellos
Demon Knights
IDW's Dungeons and Dragons comic series (1st TPB is Shadowplague)

EDIT: Also
Skullkickers
Pathfinder

And these are all legit GOOD fantasy? What about Conan The Barbarian any good stuff there?

Tizoc

And these are all legit GOOD fantasy? What about Conan The Barbarian any good stuff there?

Oh damn Conan, yeah that one's good, especially the Dark Horse series. Red Sonja is pretty good too.

Speaking of which, consider this as well
sim.jpg

Lasted over 2 decades and has some good humor too.

D&D by IDW is fantastic, great characters & awesome humor.

Unsounded can be read online as it is a webcomic, but it has great characters and fantastic art. It prety much puts you straight into its fantasy world without explaining much and you just learn about it as you read on
www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic+index

Oh damn Conan, yeah that one's good, especially the Dark Horse series. Red Sonja is pretty good too.

Speaking of which, consider this as well
sim.jpg

Lasted over 2 decades and has some good humor too.

D&D by IDW is fantastic, great characters & awesome humor.

Unsounded can be read online as it is a webcomic, but it has great characters and fantastic art. It prety much puts you straight into its fantasy world without explaining much and you just learn about it as you read on
www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic+index

Oh yea I know Cerberus he showed up a couple of times in Spawn when I marathoned every spawn comic ever a few weeks ago.

If we gon' become comimangaf, you all should read takemitsuzamurai.

and lone wolf & cub, like, obviously.

and blade of the immortal.

and golgo13.

Buckets. Oodles and oodles. By Crom.

Berserk, Wolfsmund, and Vagabond are the trinity of books that cross over into comic world. Everyone should give at least one of those books a shot.

Is the last page a Twix ad?

Damn it my library doesn't seem to have these 2 series. Is there an app where I can read them or do I have to purchase them off amazon?

I assume digital readers don't buy trades or hardcovers or omnibus's either. I mean you have it all at your fingertips so those are just a waste.

Zombine

Banned
I assume digital readers don't buy trades or hardcovers or omnibus's either. I mean you have it all at your fingertips so those are just a waste.

Imagine all the blood saved from potential paper cuts dude. Another benefit and check mark for digital.

Honestly though, I don't approach comics (or books in general) as a format war where you have to pick a side, but instead I view it as an ecosystem where various sorts of people can thrive and take advantage of what suits their own particular needs and interest. We are at a point where it's easier to get into reading than ever, but it does not mean that traditional formats will cease to exist in the rise of the digital era. Collected editions serve their purpose for those of us who love a particular run, and their existance means that comics reach will only extend further due to libraries and discounts from stores such as IST and Amazon. Library/artists/whatever editions will always be niche, but they continue to release because people including fans, artists, and other enthusiasts continue to buy them.

Long story short, physical is safe and that's because they're one part of the big picture.

Zombine

Banned
Aight. So what's the deal with Manga anyway the writer/artist just keeps writing it forever? I've seen mangas that go into like volume 40. Are they basically like Vertigo/Image comics?

Wolfsmund is going to have a very concrete ending. The book probably won't be more than one or two more volumes and it's over.

I always consider buying omnbi and hardcovers but never end up pulling the trigger, but that's honestly mostly due to space limitations where I'm at.

Top Bottom