• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

PsychBat!

Banned
FINALLY! Groot #1 actually succeeds in where SQ falls short of: actual cartoon humor.

Definitely a call back to the golden age of Cartoon Network. This was a very very good issue.

Renew Your Vows was ~okay~

Still very post-Superior Slott in its dialogue but some of the concepts worked out decently enough. Art was kinda whatever. I'll pick up the next issue to see where it goes.

I don't feel like putting up a whole thread for it so I hope you guys don't mind if I grieve a little in here.

George Case, my great uncle, passed away last night. He was the greatest man I have ever known, and more of a grandfather to me than anyone else in my life. The world feels a little bleaker without him.

He was a World War II veteran, and an incredible family man who raised four daughters. There will be a George-shaped hole in my heart for as long as I live. Cherish the elders in your life. You never know when death will take them from you.

Shit, echoshifting. I'm really sport for your loss, deepest condolences.

What're the worthwhile bits of Action Comics, again? It's been a while since I last read any of it, thought I'd get caught up before I started 41.

Justice League #41

comment_SQCXxdgHzDvajzhQAqv1vDSgE4R1xdPY.gif

Let's do this.

What're the worthwhile bits of Action Comics, again? It's been a while since I last read any of it, thought I'd get caught up before I started 41.

#1-18 is the Morrison run.

#19-25 are some random issues.

#26-29 is a fun Underground Civilization arc.

#30-35 is part of the Doomed arc. Skip unless you read Doomed.

#36-40 is a zombies in Smallville arc.

Justice League #41

comment_SQCXxdgHzDvajzhQAqv1vDSgE4R1xdPY.gif

Let's do this.

#1-18 is the Morrison run.

#19-25 are some random issues.

#26-29 is a fun Underground Civilization arc.

#30-35 is part of the Doomed arc. Skip unless you read Doomed.

#36-40 is a zombies in Smallville arc.

Sweet, thanks. If none of it's necessary to get what's going on in 41, I'll probably just start reading it.

The Krypto issue that Travel Foreman drew, I think it was #13.

I'm boycotting Travel Foreman for the foreseeable future on account of his association with the heartless Blue Beetle bait-and-switch in the JLU preview.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
How the Groot book?

Sooo delightful. I had a smile on my face the whole time. Loveness is one of my new favorite writers. I'm getting to buy everything he writes tier.

I also used a birthday gift card to pick up the first volumes of Rat Queens and Lumberjanes, which I'm really looking forward to digging in to (after the DC comixology sale extravaganza).

Sooo delightful. I had a smile on my face the whole time. Loveness is one of my new favorite writers. I'm getting to buy everything he writes tier.

I also used a birthday gift card to pick up the first volumes of Rat Queens and Lumberjanes, which I'm really looking forward to digging in to (after the DC comixology sale extravaganza).

Rat Queens AND Lumberjanes?

GrailKnight.gif

I just blew like $60 on Manga thanks to this thread which is ironic because I've been making fun of anime/manga fans my whole life. I picked up Vagabond Vizbig Edition, Wolfsmund volume 1, and first 5 volumes of Berserk.

I need to stop coming into this thread it makes me want things.

Squirrel Girl #6
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

I WANNA KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED SO BAD. But we gotta wait until the 24th for Superman #41.

Yup. New schedule is weirding me out. Still, totally worth it.

Anyway, Bat-Mite #1: Liked it more than I expected. Only really hit a few moments that made me actually chuckle, but it was moderately humorous throughout. Will def. pick up the trades. A little bit looney-toons esque in style, but it wasn't executed nearly so well.

I just blew like $60 on Manga thanks to this thread which is ironic because I've been making fun of anime/manga fans my whole life. I picked up Vagabond Vizbig Edition, Wolfsmund volume 1, and first 5 volumes of Berserk.

I need to stop coming into this thread it makes me want things.

If you're still looking for recommendations, check out Eyeshield 21.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Squirrel Girl #6
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

😱

ReAxion

Squirrel Girl #6

lol

fauxtrot

Banned
Squirrel Girl #6

This is what I imagine auto-tune looks like in text form.

Screw it I'm keeping Sorrow.
RECAP:

Edit: BOXY'S COMIC GIVEAWAY!

I need these gone. First come first serve. Take 'em, read 'em, burn 'em, pretend there twix bars, I don't care cuz I need to get rid of these:

Punk Rock Jesus TP - TAKEN BY SERPENTINE
Hellboy Vol. 1 - TAKEN BY MY NAME IS ED
Everybody Loves Tank Girl #1-3 - TAKEN BY NUDULL
Avengers Vs. X-Men #1-12 - TAKEN BY INORIGO
Aphrodite IX Vol. 1 and 2 - TAKEN BY BUDDYJOEHOOKER
Sorrow TP
Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #1-4? - TAKEN BY NUDULL

Must be in US.

I need address's from Serpentine, My Name Is Ed, and BuddyJoeHooker.

First book I read today was Batman Beyond #1. I really enjoyed it. I like Tim Drake taking on the role. I never watched the show so I wasn't attached to Terry. The last page was really interesting and can't wait to see how it plays out.

Drayco21

Green Arrow and Green Lantern 41 were both hits too; DC's new push seems to be firing on all cylinders for me, especially after I fell off of both books during the last creative team change ups.

Disliked Groot #1 though; more of the same out of character, wacky for the sake of wacky gotta go to Earth nonsense because Marvel Cosmic is just a big, long joke now. I guess it was better than this week's Guardians Team-Up.

ComicsGAF! As someone fairly planted in Marvel/Image turf, which of these new DC books would be the best for me to jump into? I know just aboot nothing when it comes to DC. I'm going to be buying all of new 52 Batman on Comixology, but that's it. I'm not really looking to go back and read any crises or anything, at least not right away.

ComicsGAF! As someone fairly planted in Marvel/Image turf, which of these new DC books would be the best for me to jump into? I know just aboot nothing when it comes to DC. I'm going to be buying all of new 52 Batman on Comixology, but that's it. I'm not really looking to go back and read any crises or anything, at least not right away.

Most stuff coming out this month should be a relatively safe jumping on point. DC just got done with a line wide event over the past two months that put their books on hiatus. You'll be looking for Issue #41s or #1s, in general.

What are some general Marvel and Image books you pull? We can help you based on what you like.

There'll be a lot of #1s coming up, which are always good places to start. DC just came off a soft relaunch type deal, so there's a bunch of new storylines kicking off. The #41s are going to be a good place for that.

Outside of those (and this is just the first thing that comes to mind), it's worth going back and picking up the Gotham Academy stuff, from the top.

Squirrel Girl #6

these words are all true

E the Shaggy

Renew Your Vows was ~okay~

Still very post-Superior Slott in its dialogue but some of the concepts worked out decently enough. Art was kinda whatever. I'll pick up the next issue to see where it goes.

No surprise at all that Slott took this as an opportunity to show how the marriage would somehow make Peter a worse person. I mean, seriously,
he murders Venom and then quits being Spider-Man when a dictator takes over the world under the pretense of raising his daughter? What kind of world is he raising her in??

Dalek

Justice League spoiler.

Can anyone explain to me how
Grail literally crawled out of the Flash's body? Has that been setup before?

Omega Men #1

To the surprise of exactly GrandHarrier,
Kyle Rayner is not dead. He's not doing so hot, but he's not dead.

On the whole, I'm not sure what to think of this issue. Part of the reason for this is that a significant portion of it is straight gobbledygook. I suppose it's done that way to emphasize the alien-ness of the Citadel occupation forces, but even the panels in English didn't make a ton of sense. The Omega Men spend a lot of time speaking to each other in their own private language, in a sense; all shortened phrases whose meaning is clearly larger than what the words themselves contain.

I mean, I guess that's what it is. It could just be that Tom King forgot to write part of the issue and nobody at Editorial noticed. Hopefully as the characters become more familiar stuff will start making sense.

Also, it's worth noting that it doesn't exactly have the same problem as a lot of #1s vis a vis pacing; it definitely doesn't feel like it's stuffed too full. It does a good job of setting up the status quo, but it's clearly playing the long game in terms of everything else. It almost seems barebones.

CBTech

No surprise at all that Slott took this as an opportunity to show how the marriage would somehow make Peter a worse person. I mean, seriously,
he murders Venom and then quits being Spider-Man when a dictator takes over the world under the pretense of raising his daughter? What kind of world is he raising her in??

That sounds really bad.

But that's kind of the problem isn't it? After two names you're already resorting to "that one background character" and "you know, the girl, with the hair and the eyes!"

Star Wars is somehow a galaxy mainly populated by white, British and American guys

Star Wars is a fictional universe. It was never intended to be the world outside your window and has 0 obligation to push a diversity agenda. The old EU had just as many black characters as say DC or Marvel and since the reboot they been more aggressive than they had to be to please the diversity crowd. Nearly every comic and novel has introduced new black characters and even a gay character was added. Previously, George Lucas introduced a host of diverse new characters in both the Star Wars prequels and in The Clone Wars and we will continue to see diversity. I wish people would stop making this an issue. I don't want SW to end up like DC/Marvel where every other week they have paid a news publication get in everyones face about their hot new minority character and then Quesada/Didio gets up on the pedestal and starts talking about how diversity is serious business. It's eye rolling and distracting.

Good minority characters (like Falcon, Miles Morales, Ms.Marvel, Lando Calrissian, Mace Windu, Steel, Katana, Psylocke, Jubilee, etc.) come over time naturally. When they force the issue they end up killing off perfectly good characters to make way for garbage like Jason Rusch, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Choi, etc. that nobody gives a fuck about. Incidentally the new Star Wars gay character actually got more complaints than praise from what I understand (haven't read the book yet) her character supposedly fuels all kinds of negative sterotypes and felt very forced in the story and thats never a good idea.

Drayco21

Justice League spoiler.

Can anyone explain to me how
Grail literally crawled out of the Flash's body? Has that been setup before?

If I had to guess,
I think it has something to do with his nature as a conduit for the Speed Force? I'm not super well versed on DC or anything, but in the Flash's current ongoing, he's opened doorways through time and space by tapping into the Speed Force before, and she referred to him as a traveler and a doorway as she was coming through. Granted, I don't know how she would be able to use the Speed Force or whatever, so I might be totally off the mark, but that's the impression I got.

Top Bottom