• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Justice League spoiler.

Can anyone explain to me how
Grail literally crawled out of the Flash's body? Has that been setup before?

My thoughts on that;

We know that the Speed Force is connected to the vibrational frequencies of the multiverse. Vibes powers, for example, were able to both sense the differences between travelers from alternate dimensions and stop speedsters who use the Speed Force. I'm guessing that Barry Allen stands out like a beacon against the backdrop of the world in that sense.

Omega Men #1

To the surprise of exactly GrandHarrier,
Kyle Rayner is not dead. He's not doing so hot, but he's not dead.

Why I oughta.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Star Wars is a fictional universe. It was never intended to be the world outside your window and has 0 obligation to push a diversity agenda. The old EU had just as many black characters as say DC or Marvel and since the reboot they been more aggressive than they had to be to please the diversity crowd. Nearly every comic and novel has introduced new black characters and even a gay character was added. Previously, George Lucas introduced a host of diverse new characters in both the Star Wars prequels and in The Clone Wars and we will continue to see diversity. I wish people would stop making this an issue. I don't want SW to end up like DC/Marvel where every other week they have paid a news publication get in everyones face about their hot new minority character and then Quesada/Didio gets up on the pedestal and starts talking about how diversity is serious business. It's eye rolling and distracting.

Good minority characters (like Falcon, Miles Morales, Ms.Marvel, Lando Calrissian, Mace Windu, Steel, Katana, Psylocke, Jubilee, etc.) come over time naturally. When they force the issue they end up killing off perfectly good characters to make way for garbage like Jason Rusch, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Choi, etc. that nobody gives a fuck about. Incidentally the new Star Wars gay character actually got more complaints than praise from what I understand (haven't read the book yet) her character supposedly fuels all kinds of negative sterotypes and felt very forced in the story and thats never a good idea.

oh brother

we got one of those types here now?

Most stuff coming out this month should be a relatively safe jumping on point. DC just got done with a line wide event over the past two months that put their books on hiatus. You'll be looking for Issue #41s or #1s, in general.

What are some general Marvel and Image books you pull? We can help you based on what you like.

Hmm. General pull list for Marvel would be Hickman's stuff, Angela, Silk and Spider-Gwen, Howard the Duck/ Squirrel Girl/ Ant-Man for my laughs. Image is Walking Dead, Invincible, Deadly Class, Low, Zero, Southern Bastards.Those are all my usual books I buy no matter what.

Hmm. General pull list for Marvel would be Hickman's stuff, Angela, Silk and Spider-Gwen, Howard the Duck/ Squirrel Girl/ Ant-Man for my laughs. Image is Walking Dead, Invincible, Deadly Class, Low, Zero, Southern Bastards.Those are all my usual books I buy no matter what.

You might consider checking out, as they should be pretty safe for a newcomer to hop into:

Justice League #41
Batman #41
Batgirl #41
Black Canary #1
Starfire #1
Grayson #9
Midnighter #1
Bat-Mite #1
Bizarro #1
Prez #1

I'd also suggest Action Comics #41 but I believe thats going to be a crossover with all the other Superman books, so.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Did you even read my full post or just gravitate right to the buzz words

i did, as a kid star wars' whiteness outside of Lando always bothered me

"i wish people would stop making this an issue" is lol worthy - people want more diversity in nerd stuff, get over it

putting John B from Attack the Block front and center is half the reason i'm willing to come back to SW after the prequel disasters

I always hated how white all the Stormtroopers were. I mean it was cool that they were led by a black guy, but he always came across as kind of a dick.

at least he can't make threads anymore

New_Avengers_32_2015.jpg

You might consider checking out, as they should be pretty safe for a newcomer to hop into:

Justice League #41
Batman #41
Batgirl #41
Black Canary #1
Starfire #1
Grayson #9
Midnighter #1
Bat-Mite #1
Bizarro #1
Prez #1

I'd also suggest Action Comics #41 but I believe thats going to be a crossover with all the other Superman books, so.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to pick some of those up. Justice League seems to be getting a good amount of hype today, I'll pick it up when I buy me comics after work.

Black Canary and Gotham Academy maybe

i did, as a kid star wars' whiteness outside of Lando always bothered me

"i wish people would stop making this an issue" is lol worthy - people want more diversity in nerd stuff, get over it

putting John B from Attack the Block front and center is half the reason i'm willing to come back to SW after the prequel disasters

So after being disappointed by the prequels your thinking was "Im not going to see anymore Star Wars movies after this...unless they add more black people"? How is that not lol worthy?

What does diversity have to do with making a good story? The prequels were loaded to the brim with diversity.

Just finished Endgame - it was tons of fun. Capullo can do no wrong in my eyes - the page where Batman teams up with
Clayface, Scarecrow and co.
was too good. I'd probably rank Synder's arcs in this order - Court of Owls, Endgame, Zero Year then Death of the Family. All set for Batman next week now.

Boogiepop

Good minority characters (like Falcon, Miles Morales, Ms.Marvel, Lando Calrissian, Mace Windu, Steel, Katana, Psylocke, Jubilee, etc.) come over time naturally. When they force the issue they end up killing off perfectly good characters to make way for garbage like Jason Rusch, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Choi, etc. that nobody gives a fuck about. Incidentally the new Star Wars gay character actually got more complaints than praise from what I understand (haven't read the book yet) her character supposedly fuels all kinds of negative sterotypes and felt very forced in the story and thats never a good idea.
Ignoring the rest of the conversation... Is Jaime hated? I only know him from the Brave and the Bold show to be fair, but I liked him.

I WILL FUCKING CUT YOU.

Ignoring the rest of the conversation... Is Jaime hated? I only know him from the Brave and the Bold show to be fair, but I liked him.

I dunno. I think he's awesome, but I get the sense that most people don't have strong feelings one way or the other aside from salty-ass Ted Kord fanboys who have trouble letting go, and also Gambit, who is a terrible person.

Are you excited for Akrham Knight? I'm pretty excited for Arkham Knight! But are you more excited to play as Red Hood? I'm pretty excited to! But have you ever thought to yourself "I wish I could read some sort of comic starring him and maybe someone else. Does such comic exist?" Well have I got good news for you! There's a book called Red Hood/Arsenal, two bro's being bro's and engaging in bro hijinks! It comes out next week so don't wait, call now! And don't forget to preorder Arkham Knight at GameStop! Power to the Players!

Nelo Ice

Banned
So picked up Secret Wars #3, Amazing Spider Man: Renew Your Vows #1, and Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #1. Enjoyed them all and it's getting easier to pick up on what's going on in Secret Wars since I just jumped into current Marvel comics with Secret Wars #1. Besides that have only read Annihilation and Conquest.

Anything else I should check out from this week or the last 2 weeks?. Tried to limit myself and I think I did ok since I was tempted to get Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars but stopped when I saw it was $4.99 haha.

Also while I was at my LCS a customer asked for Groot #1 and I didn't even realize he had his own series now lol. Reading through here apparently it's good? Also once again must limit myself, damn this is hard.

edit:Btw when does X-Men 92 come into stores? Interesting in picking that up. And wait new Spider Gwen came out today too!? Didn't even see it when I was looking where it would be at my comic shop lol.

Are you excited for Akrham Knight? I'm pretty excited for Arkham Knight! But are you more excited to play as Red Hood? I'm pretty excited to! But have you ever thought to yourself "I wish I could read some sort of comic starring him and maybe someone else. Does such comic exist?" Well have I got good news for you! There's a book called Red Hood/Arsenal, two bro's being bro's and engaging in bro hijinks! It comes out next week so don't wait, call now! And don't forget to preorder Arkham Knight at GameStop! Power to the Players!
First it was Twix and now this.

I WILL FUCKING CUT YOU.

I dunno. I think he's awesome, but I get the sense that most people don't have strong feelings one way or the other aside from salty-ass Ted Kord fanboys who have trouble letting go, and also Gambit, who is a terrible person.

Your a terrible person. How is it ok to kill off a beloved character with a rich history just so Dan Didio can rush out a latino version of the namesake and stand in front of a camera and say "Here at DC we're all about diversity a'yuck!"

Explain to me why they couldn't have introduced Jaime as a brand new character or if he absolutely had to be called Blue Beetle then he could have been the teen titan version of the character similar to the Flash/Kid Flash situation. When Didio killed off the Justice League International (Ironically the first, boldest, and best example of diversity in comics to begin with) he asked for a war with the fans and he got one.

Your a terrible person. How is it ok to kill off a beloved character with a rich history just so Dan Didio can rush out a latino version of the namesake and stand in front of a camera and say "Here at DC we're all about diversity a'yuck!"

*You're. You can't even spell right, SMH.

Anyway, Jaime is anything but a Latino version of Ted Kord. Hell, he's not even a Latino version of Dan Garret (the "namesake").

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm looking at the post Owl Bat trades for Snyder's run... So you guys wouldn't recommend getting the Death of the Family Joker book, that has all the tie-ins? It's a pretty big book compared to the core volume, almost feels like I'm missing out not getting it.

The Mr Freeze annual was pretty huge and risky, but I liked it.
basically turned Freeze from a tragic figure into a complete lunatic

I'm looking at the post Owl Bat trades for Snyder's run... So you guys wouldn't recommend getting the Death of the Family Joker book, that has all the tie-ins? It's a pretty big book compared to the core volume, almost feels like I'm missing out not getting it.

Honestly, the tie-ins aren't really worth it. Either they're good but entirely unconnected, or they're not good, and... also entirely disconnected. If you've got the money to burn you might as well go for it, but otherwise...

I WILL FUCKING CUT YOU.

Having Ted in Justice League 3001 and Jaime in the present seems like the most sensible solution. Most writers who aren't Giffen & DeMatteis struggle with the Blue & Gold anyways.

That's what they want you to think. I've heards there's a few good issues but the main issues cover everything essential.

The Death of the Family tie ins are Joker messing with and fucking with all of the extended Bat Family characters. If you enjoy the idea of him getting under their skin, pulling horror movie level shit on them, and the like then you'd probably enjoy it. But it's not actually required for the narrative of the main story.

Having Ted in Justice League 3001 and Jaime in the present seems like the most sensible solution. Most writers who aren't Giffen & DeMatteis struggle with the Blue & Gold anyways.

Isn't Ted in Geoff's Justice League story now? At least he was a few issues ago

DOOM FACE.

Thats a 6 month old cover son

Also, if you don't already know what Doom looks like under the mask you shouldn't even be in this thread

Darth Vader SPOILERS:

Darth_Vader_Unmasked_Bust_by_SaiogaMan.jpg

Nah, just Kill Six Billion Demons

Fine, you've convinced me. I'll read this "Kill Six Billion Demons" and I'll probably enjoy it, too!

Also I can't tell if I should actually check out that Red Hood book or if that was a weird knock against it and advertising. But I'm totally pumped for Arkham Knight. And Twix. That's actually the reason I wanted to jump I to the DC bandwagon, their newfound love for Twix and them giving Twix the attention such a high caliber cookiebar deserves. (Any DC books I'm checking out will be digitally, so I can see Twix ads in their full crisp glory.)

Top Bottom