• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

So in Secret Wars #3

what was everbody's favorite:

conversation

The constant drive to
humanize vic and stephen. Sure, they the gods of the planet, but setting up Vic as a sympathetic figure is a very smart narrative figure, as was stating that Sue decided to make Johnny the sun. This way, when Reed comes knocking, there can be genuine conflict since as it is currently set-up, his desire of a return to the status quo would be motivated solely by selfish reasons. Guess that makes vic and sue chatting the best convo

Ironically,
Vic's
whole deal stands in stark contrast to
Maestro's
speech in future imperfect.

Bleeding Cool: How does Marvel Doom feel about Mutants? Image from X-Tinction Agenda #1

Tell us how you really feel.

To be fair, if i had to tolerate her accent i'd probably do the same.

I'm going to use it if Ed or someone still has it.

kQkkPyG.jpg

bam here it is

Mudcrab

So in Secret Wars #3

what was everbody's favorite:

conversation

The one between
Vic and Susan. It's kind of stunning that after Godhood and salvaging Battleworld, Victor sees himself as the flaw in all of this. I mean he's still Doom, the Johnny part confirms that, but it so fresh and genuine. That face reveal was something else too.

http://i.imgur.com/ZGjbUaT.gif[/img[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/lulz57orm.gif

Voror

Secret Wars #3 was good.

Action Comics #41 was good.

Renew Your Vows #1 I didn't care for much.

Justice League was surprisingly interesting given I haven't read any of it since the first arc and have no idea what's going on. Did that book get better at some point?

Trying to pick four trades to get out of a list since I have a gift card and was wondering if I could get some advice on what to go for:
Thor God of Thunder Vol. 1 (#1-11)
Action Comics: What Lies Beneath (First issues of the Pak run)
Aquaman Vol. 2 The Others
Batman Vol. 4 Secret City
Batman Vol. 5 Dark City
Lumberjanes Vol. 1
Batman Earth One Vol. 2

Also looking at these, though they don't come out until next week and beyond this month:
Grayson Vol. 1
Gotham Academy Vol. 1
Batgirl Vol. 1 Batgirl of Burnside

(Re: SW#3) It's definitely
Victor and Sue. That was a huge moment, very well written with major ramifications for what is to come, and the face reveal was beautifully drawn.

I teared up when Reed came out of the raft.... :(

And goddoom, that ending. What a perfect book.

Yeah, JL 41 was goooood shit. Darkseid was supremely badass, wrecking
Mr. Miracle
like it wasn't at thing. The zero-effort beatdown is a favorite trope of mine. Darkseid's Daughter was pretty good too.

Mudcrab

Victor and Sue. That was a huge moment, very well written with major ramifications for what is to come, and the face reveal was beautifully drawn.

Reed is going to be straight up murderous when he finds out about Sue and the kids. Also I'm so hyped for the Cabal vs. the Thorps. Goddamn.

Voror

Reed is going to be straight up murderous when he finds out about Sue and the kids. Also I'm so hyped for the Cabal vs. the Thorps. Goddamn.

Oh, he's going to go nuts once he finds out exactly what's going on. Which is kind of a shame since I sort of would like to see him and Doom just talk it out. Which is weird I know.

Owzers

I read three comics yesterday, they were all Harley Quinn

I don't feel like reading any comic books today.

Connection?

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, super late to the party, but I am getting through Kelly Sue's Captain Marvel. Damn... that epilogue to Enemy Within...
Secret Wars #3 was good.

Action Comics #41 was good.

Renew Your Vows #1 I didn't care for much.

Justice League was surprisingly interesting given I haven't read any of it since the first arc and have no idea what's going on. Did that book get better at some point?

Trying to pick four trades to get out of a list since I have a gift card and was wondering if I could get some advice on what to go for:
Thor God of Thunder Vol. 1 (#1-11)
Action Comics: What Lies Beneath (First issues of the Pak run)
Aquaman Vol. 2 The Others
Batman Vol. 4 Secret City
Batman Vol. 5 Dark City
Lumberjanes Vol. 1
Batman Earth One Vol. 2

Also looking at these, though they don't come out until next week and beyond this month:
Grayson Vol. 1
Gotham Academy Vol. 1
Batgirl Vol. 1 Batgirl of Burnside
Thor: God of Thunder
Batman Vol 4 and 5
Batman Earth One Vol 2
Grayson
Gotham Academy

All good. Batgirl was also pretty decent but it really fails with the ending...

But seriously though, how was Jaime a replacement for Ted.

They shared a name.

That's basically it.

Dude did you even read Countdown to Infinite Crisis/Infinite Crisis?

They even had Ted more say something like "I hope the next blue beetle takes better care of this scarab then I did" and in IC his whole subplot with Booster is that he is basically teds replacement. They had Keith Giffen writing his series for the first arc and even Guy Gardner showed up and the remaining JLI members showed up in the series and then he showed up for a major story in Boosters series where they go to try and rescue Ted. I'm not sure how you can make it sound like there was no connection.

Dude did you even read Countdown to Infinite Crisis/Infinite Crisis?

They even had Ted more say something like "I hope the next blue beetle takes better care of this scarab then I did" and in IC his whole subplot with Booster is that he is basically teds replacement. They had Keith Giffen writing his series for the first arc and even Guy Gardner showed up and the remaining JLI members showed up in the series and then he showed up for a major story in Boosters series where they go to try and rescue Ted. I'm not sure how you can make it sound like there was no connection.

Honestly, what I read was his series (Infinite Crisis was a hair before I started reading comics), and there there wasn't really any connection until Gardner's second appearance. Hell, JLI didn't even show up until 2 years into the series, and even then, only for an issue. The Teen Titans had more of a presence in the book. He certainly wasn't a replacement for Ted in any substantial sense (who was killed off for shock value, from what I understand, not to clear a path for Jaime).

Squire

Banned

Just read it. Echoing this post. It's perfect from beginning to end.

I feel so bad for Reed and I had the same thought as Mudcrab. He's gonna flip his shit two times once he sees Sue and the kids. This is before even thinking about The Maker.

Also pretty happy with who seems to have survived. I knew Hickman was seeding Miles as a Checkov's gun. Same for Scott and I'm sure he's about to fuck shit up. I really wanna see Thor interact with the Thor corps.

So yeah, SW is amazing. I can't believe it's this good.

Also caught up on some tie-ins. SW Journal #1 is surprisingly excellent! This could be the best one of the bunch, all said and done. Inferno was OK, but it's definitely held back by having Colossus as lead. I started Attilan Rising, but I need to read some more of Inhuman I think, so I'll get back to it later.

Have X-Stinction Agenda and Years of Future Past for later.

tim1138

Didn't talk about it earlier, but the new Justice League was great. Mister Miracle's new costume still looks dumb as shit (why would the multiverse's greatest escape artist wear clunky body armor?), but Fabok's Darkseid looks menacing as fuck. It was cool to see Lashina, I hope Granny and the rest of the Furies show up (especially Stompa and Bernadeth).

In summary, fuck yeah Midnighter!

So...huh...Groot is ridiculously excellent. Brian Kesinger absolutely slays in the art department, and the comic is easily just as good as Squirrel Girl.

Don't even know why they releasing this under the marvel imprint. Thing's tailor-made for 12 and under.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Psych I said you had to use a Skin avatar not a Rocket one!

Honestly, what I read was his series (Infinite Crisis was a hair before I started reading comics), and there there wasn't really any connection until Gardner's second appearance. Hell, JLI didn't even show up until 2 years into the series, and even then, only for an issue. The Teen Titans had more of a presence in the book. He certainly wasn't a replacement for Ted in any substantial sense (who was killed off for shock value, from what I understand, not to clear a path for Jaime).

it was for both actually. The blue beetle series was a spinoff that came out during Infinite crisis but it was planned out before.

tim1138

Not a sentence I ever expected to read.

He's not entirely wrong though. While it's not a direct 1:1 correlation there are definitely some similarities. Both feature title characters from underrepresented (in mainstream comics at least) populations who take absolute joy in having and using their respective powers. Ms. Marvel definitely skews more to the all ages crowd than Midnighter, but both have the luxury of not only speaking to specific audiences but maintaining mass market appeal.

DC really deserves to be applauded for taking the chance on Midnighter and letting it be without turning it into a PR thing to say how diverse they are.

Voror

So, super late to the party, but I am getting through Kelly Sue's Captain Marvel. Damn... that epilogue to Enemy Within...

Thor: God of Thunder
Batman Vol 4 and 5
Batman Earth One Vol 2
Grayson
Gotham Academy

All good. Batgirl was also pretty decent but it really fails with the ending...

How is the Captain Marvel series? I heard such mixed things about it, but wasn't sure if t evened out or what have you.

Thank you!

The most recent run? Do you mean their first arc has a failed ending? Because I know this team is still going now.

Grayson and Gotham Academy are both 👌👌Good shit

Thank you! I've heard really good things about both and for the former I'm always up for more Dick Grayson.

Damn. A light week for the bargain bin digital shopper. Only 7 issues this week and one was a full priced secret wars issue!. And next week convergence starts...

He's not entirely wrong though. While it's not a direct 1:1 correlation there are definitely some similarities. Both feature title characters from underrepresented (in mainstream comics at least) populations who take absolute joy in having and using their respective powers. Ms. Marvel definitely skews more to the all ages crowd than Midnighter, but both have the luxury of not only speaking to specific audiences while maintaining mass market appeal.

DC really deserves to be applauded for taking the chance on Midnighter and letting it be without turning it into a PR thing to say how diverse they are.

I can definitely see it, when you put it like that.

It's just... "Ms. Marvel (funloving teen from New Jersey)" and "Midnighter (former member of The Authority)" are tough to squeeze into the same thought :p

I should really pick up Midnighter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't know Doom was back in white, FF style, in Secret Wars

tim1138

I can definitely see it, when you put it like that.

It's just... "Ms. Marvel (funloving teen from New Jersey)" and "Midnighter (former member of The Authority)" are tough to squeeze into the same thought :p

I should really pick up Midnighter.

Oh I know, I probably would have never thought to make the comparison without Rafa saying that.

Top Bottom