• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Vibranium

Banned
What, Steve is still an old man? At least he took back the Commander Rogers suit from Fake Fury, maybe this means the superior Ultimate one is in the universe.

Still, I really can't wait until he's young again, I have no problem with Falcon as Cap since Bucky also did it but it is a little frustrating.

Drayco21

So Peter, Miles, Gwen, Silk and maybe Miguel and Kaine.

Sheit.

So close to my dream Spider-Family ongoing. Just throw them all in a shitty apartment with Flash and Anya, have Yost write it. Slice of life spider adventures. All of my money.

Marvel pls.

Cade

I bet that Native American guy is a good version of a Kraven the Hunter. Look how the tattoos/warpaint on his chest looks like Kraven's vest.

mreddie

seriously nobody figured out who the Native American guy is?

Likely this guy.

635609747942890804-WEIRDW-2-SW.jpg

ReiGun

Whoa, Green Arrow was really good. Ollie is back!

Really enjoyed this. Especially after dumping the book when it became like the show.

If I had one issue, it felt like the writer didn't really have Oliver's "voice" in mind. The dialogue and such was good, but so much of the internal monologue didn't feel like things Ollie, as he's been presented in the N52, would say. Still, minor issue in a book I really dug. Also liked Emiko being back. Seriously hated they just shunted her off after Lemire left.

If I had one issue, it felt like the writer didn't really have Oliver's "voice" in mind. The dialogue and such was good, but so much of the internal monologue didn't feel like things Ollie, as he's been presented in the N52, would say. Still, minor issue in a book I really dug. Also liked Emiko being back. Seriously hated they just shunted her off after Lemire left.

Yeah, that's why I said it felt more like The Question. All the stuff about listening to the city. it felt like a completely different character.

besada

Banned
Tell me a good starting Legion book. Preferably something available as a trade(s) on CMX. (Why does DC hate digital trades again?)

I'm all about the team books and this keeps coming up.
I'd start here: http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/LEGION-OF-SUPER-HEROES-AN-EYE-FOR-AN-EYE-TP/SEP070220

It's the 80’s run with Levitz and Giffen. Looks like there are plenty of trades following it, all the way up to the Great Darkness Saga. I'd read that entire run, then read the 5 years later stuff by Giffen, since it's brilliant but useless unless you know the Legion before you read it. GrandHarrier may have a different/better starting point.

I suppose you could start with post-Giffen Legion, but, eh, it got rebooted and redirected evwry few years after.

I think Bendis is next in line for taking over the Spider-Man line, with Amazing focusing on Peter Parker and a new title called All-New Spider-Man focusing on Miles with plenty of crossovers, probably the same format as his X-titles.

Drayco21

I think Bendis is next in line for taking over the Spider-Man line, with Amazing focusing on Peter Parker and a new title called All-New Spider-Man focusing on Miles with plenty of crossovers, probably the same format as his X-titles.

I guess I'd be okay with this. His Miles has been a wasted opportunity time and time again, but his Ultimate Peter was great, and I thought his 616 Peter has been okay. Better than more post-Superior Dan Slott, and if it takes Bendis off Guardians, I'll happily trade any franchise.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Please if there is a divine entity out there that we call god, please make this happen. Please put Bendis on all the Spider-books. And make a new Kaine book, All New Scarlet Spider by Brian Michael Bendis.

I only want the best for my friend Drayco.

survivor-smile.gif

Not a bad choice. Bendis was real good at writing Peter and Miles is his baby.

Would love to see Fraction writing ASM ideally, but I know that's not gonna happen.

Drayco21

Remender for Spidey please. That's all I want. or Jason Aaron. I'll even take Mike Costa.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see Remender on the main Spider-Man book, Bendis on Miles' book, and Yost on a Spider-Family book. I like to dream.

Please put Bendis on all the Spider-books. And make a new Kaine book, All New Scarlet Spider by Brian Michael Bendis.

I only want the best for my friend Drayco.

I mean...he can't possibly fuck that up harder than trying to turn Knowhere into Tatooine. He can't.

ReiGun

Yeah, that's why I said it felt more like The Question. All the stuff about listening to the city. it felt like a completely different character.

What's weird is that it doesn't carry over between dialogue and narration. His dialogue with Emiko and Fyff are Oliver, but when talking to himself, he suddenly becomes super philosophical and introspective. It's odd, and makes me wonder if the book would benefit from using third person narration (though I don't know how that would fly today in a modern cape book).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Agent Venom counts as a Spider so Bendis will also bring him over. Agent venom and Kaine buddy cop book

Wait that sounds amazing....damn it Drayco

Cade

Red Wolf looks cool, which reminds me: are Man of Bats and Little/Red Raven still in anything on DC's side?

Drayco21

I still can't believe that Agent Venom and Kaine's actual first team-up in a sequel to Carnage USA was so underwhelming. How can you take so many fantastic parts, and make something so forgettable out of it?

I don't think Bendis would put Agent Venom in anything; he brought him over to Guardians and still hasn't done a goddamn thing with him, except have him get a bad new costume and then stand in backgrounds.

Bloodember

Been reading Avengers and New Avengers and got to Avengers #35, what the hell. Everything is different, did I miss something?

Squire

Banned
I'd start here: http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/LEGION-OF-SUPER-HEROES-AN-EYE-FOR-AN-EYE-TP/SEP070220

It's the 80’s run with Levitz and Giffen. Looks like there are plenty of trades following it, all the way up to the Great Darkness Saga. I'd read that entire run, then read the 5 years later stuff by Giffen, since it's brilliant but useless unless you know the Legion before you read it. GrandHarrier may have a different/better starting point.

I suppose you could start with post-Giffen Legion, but, eh, it got rebooted and redirected evwry few years after.

Thanks!

eh, Robbie's mostly style than anything else.
I thought Robbie was a fine character and it just feels like a waste of potential because Marvel can't seem to keep a Ghost Rider series ongoing. He's just gonna fade into obscurity like Alejandra Blaze and then Marvel is gonna re-introduce a new Ghost Rider title with a new cast.

Nudull

Banned

I'd be okay with that. Bendis shines with street-level.

Wonder if Marvel might end up de-aging Peter somewhere down the line because of the MCU?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

He will announce his next project this weekend.

I dunno... I dont think it will be Spider-Man.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So Vision is now Miracle Man? I can dig it.

But who's that dude with the bow on the lower right corner? New Ka-Zar?

Besada makes some great recommendations. That is classic Legion, which has popped back up from time to time, after the Reboot versions that happened. The one I usually suggest to new readers, both because it's a fresh jumping on point and is well collected, is the Mark Waid Threeboot Legion. It's a slightly different take on the concept but keeps the core values in place.

The reading order is:

Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1: Teenage Revolution
by Mark Waid

Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2: Death of a Dream
by Mark Waid

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 3: Strange Visitors from Another Century
by Mark Waid

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 4: Adult Education
by Mark Waid

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 5: Dominator War
by Mark Waid

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 6: The Quest for Cosmic Boy
by Tony Bedard

Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 7: Enemy Rising
by Jim Shooter

Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 8: Enemy Manifest
by Jim Shooter

----------